Lots of spam -- who are the admins in this group?

sbyr...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2023, 6:29:11 PM12/10/23
Hi actual humans,

I checked in on this group to post a Happy DEC-10 day message, and found that it has been overrun with spam!!!

I've reported a lot of it, but I think the easiest solution would be to have the admins (whomever they are) @admin to just remove the "anyone can post" permission from this group.

Thanks,
Steve

John Levine

Dec 10, 2023, 7:33:17 PM12/10/23
According to sbyr...@gmail.com <sbyr...@gmail.com>:
>I've reported a lot of it, but I think the easiest solution would be to have the admins (whomever they are) @admin to just remove the "anyone can post" permission from this group.

Unfortunately, that's not how usenet works. Literally nobody is in charge.

These days the vast majority of the spam is gushing from Google Groups
so a lot of us site admins are dropping Google messages on the servers
we manage, but that's just our own servers, not usenet as a whole. I
see you're on Google Groups so if you want to stay connected you might
want to find a less broken usenet provider.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

David Griffith

Jan 2, 2024, 9:33:52 PMJan 2
John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
> According to sbyr...@gmail.com <sbyr...@gmail.com>:
>>I've reported a lot of it, but I think the easiest solution would be to have the admins (whomever they are) @admin to just remove the "anyone can post" permission from this group.

> Unfortunately, that's not how usenet works. Literally nobody is in charge.

> These days the vast majority of the spam is gushing from Google Groups
> so a lot of us site admins are dropping Google messages on the servers
> we manage, but that's just our own servers, not usenet as a whole. I
> see you're on Google Groups so if you want to stay connected you might
> want to find a less broken usenet provider.

I've been pondering an attempt at reviving Usenet: just restart it from
scratch.

--
David Griffith
da...@661.org

Andy Valencia

Jan 3, 2024, 11:53:30 AMJan 3
da...@661.org (David Griffith) writes:
> I've been pondering an attempt at reviving Usenet: just restart it from
> scratch.

I'm in.

Andy Valencia
Home page: https://www.vsta.org/andy/
To contact me: https://www.vsta.org/contact/andy.html

Lars Brinkhoff

Jan 3, 2024, 12:18:21 PMJan 3
Andy Valencia wrote:
> da...@661.org (David Griffith) writes:
>> I've been pondering an attempt at reviving Usenet: just restart it from
>> scratch.
> I'm in.

Maybe you should wait an see how Google Groups's exit plays out.
Supposedly most spam was from there.

Grant Taylor

Jan 3, 2024, 2:50:31 PMJan 3
On 1/2/24 20:33, David Griffith wrote:
> I've been pondering an attempt at reviving Usenet: just restart it
> from scratch.

Seems like you're throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Usenet is still alive and active.

This very conversation is happening over Usenet, the baby that you're
talking about throwing out.

Even if you do create something else, people will stay on Usenet and not
go to a smaller network. And if you bridge part of Usenet into your new
thing, it's still Usenet.

So why throw the baby out with the bath water?

--
Grant. . . .

Scott Lurndal

Jan 3, 2024, 3:20:41 PMJan 3
Indeed - the best part of usenet is the decentralization. Any attempt
to "restart" it would likely end up being just as bad as google groups
or reddit.