Ref my Gateway model DX430X

Lee

Jul 6, 2015, 10:02:30 PM7/6/15
Question this computer came with 4 gigs of memory in two chips could it
be upgraded to 2 4 gig chips and would it help improve the performance?
Thanks for any info.

--
Lee US Army Retired
2004 Georgie Boy Cruise Master

Ken Whiton

Jul 7, 2015, 4:53:54 AM7/7/15
*-* On Mon, 06 Jul 2015, at 22:02:35 -0400,
*-* In Article <VqGmx.49697$K%5.9...@fx22.iad>,
*-* Lee wrote
*-* About Ref my Gateway model DX430X

> Question this computer came with 4 gigs of memory in two chips could
> it be upgraded to 2 4 gig chips

According to Crucial, the DX430 Series has 4 memory slots, with a
maximum capacity of 8 GBs, which works out to a maximum of 2 GBs per
slot.

<http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Gateway/dx430-series>

If they're correct you should be able to upgrade by adding 2 more
2 GB chips.

> and would it help improve the
> performance?

It should. Adding memory is generally considered to be the
easiest, least expensive way to improve a oomputer's performance.

> Thanks for any info.

You're welcome.

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

Ken Whiton

Jul 8, 2015, 5:09:38 AM7/8/15
*-* On Tue, 07 Jul 2015, at 04:53:19 -0400,
*-* In Article <mng41...@news3.newsguy.com>,
*-* I wrote
*-* About Re: Ref my Gateway model DX430X

> *-* Lee wrote

>> Question this computer came with 4 gigs of memory in two chips
>> could it be upgraded to 2 4 gig chips

> According to Crucial, the DX430 Series has 4 memory slots, with
> a maximum capacity of 8 GBs, which works out to a maximum of 2 GBs
> per slot.

> <http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Gateway/dx430-series>

> If they're correct you should be able to upgrade by adding 2
> more 2 GB chips.

According to the motherboard specs, it depends on the type of
memory used.

Memory Four 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM)
sockets
Support for DDR2 800, DDR2 667, or DDR2 533 MHz DIMMs
Support for up to 8 GB of system memory using DDR2 667 or
DDR2 533 DIMMs
Support for up to 4 GB of system memory using DDR2 800 DIMMs
Support module sizes of 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, or 2 GB

<http://www.ascendtech.us/gateway-dx430x-motherboard-4006245r_i_mb4gat4006159rh.aspx>
(or <http://preview.tinyurl.com/nswvqvm>)

Lee

Jul 9, 2015, 7:48:15 AM7/9/15
Hi Ken thanks for both of your replies I will be ordering them to see how it
will help. Heck if I had known that I would have had it set up when I
bought
it. Always glad to to learn. Heck I was born before TV so you know I h ave
a lot of learning to go! (grin)

Frank

Sep 3, 2015, 12:27:36 PM9/3/15
Nice to see new GW post even though I'm a couple months late in seeing it.

I like to use Belarc Advisor to check my system and also buy from Crucial:
Got this last April:
CT3366903 CT25664BA160B.C16FKR2 2GB UPGRADE FOR A GATEWAY DX4870 SERIES
SYSTEM $17.99 2 $35.98

I remember spending over $100 to add 48 kB memory to a Radio Shack computer.

Got 10 gB now in my machine, maybe not faster but does not hang on "high
memory usage" anymore.