Re: WiFi Card for XPS 8100 Desktop?

Steve W.

Nov 29, 2019, 11:09:29 PM11/29/19
Boris wrote:
> Boris <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in
>
>> The last post I see on this ng is dated 8/10/2019. Don't know if anyone
> else
>> is lurking, but just in case, here's my question:
>>
>> Studio XPS 8100 Desktop, circa 2010
>>
>> It's been running great 24x7 all these years. It's connected to a
> router via
>> ethernet, and now I'd like to add a wifi card because I may have to move
> it
>> out of the router's location.
>>
>> The machine has the following card slots:
>>
>> 1 PCI 124-pin, 32-bit, 33mHz slot, unoccupied
>>
>> 2 PCI Express x1 36-pin slots, both unoccuped
>>
>> 1 PCI Express x16 164-pin slot, occupied by my video card
>>
>> Can you suggest a compatible video card for this machine?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Or, do wifi dongles work as well as cards? Also, my wifi router is a
> Linksys WRT-54G.

I've used a couple of dongles that worked OK, not the fastest though but
they were old ones. Used to be able to get a usable signal at close to
900 feet with no other antenna.

Modern ones are likely better. But a card would give you the option of
an external antenna.

--
Steve W.

Steve W.

Nov 30, 2019, 2:43:27 AM11/30/19
Boris wrote:
> "Steve W." <csr...@NOTyahoo.com> wrote in news:qrsq1o$82h$1...@dont-email.me:
> I've used cards very successfully on other older machines. Nevvr used a
> dongle.
>
> By the way, I use two free news servers, eternal-september.org and
> aioe.org. Regardless of the news reader I use, Xnews or Thunderbird, the
> latest post I see is 8/10/2019. Has this dell group been that quiet? Is
> that also the latest post you see?
>
> Thanks.

Yeah it's been dead for a while. I think many have forgotten usenet even
exists any longer.

--
Steve W.

Ben Myers

Dec 5, 2019, 5:23:50 PM12/5/19
With an elderly WRT-54G, you are likely to see little difference in performance between a USB wifi dongle and a PCI wifi card. I have used inexpensive USB wifi dongle with antennas to good effect, autodetected with drivers by Windows 10... Ben Myers

Ron Hardin

Dec 11, 2019, 6:33:36 AM12/11/19
I use a USB wifi on laptops whose internal wifi
has quit working. A Belkin N300 in my case. It
works better than the original.
--
rhha...@mindspring.com