MicroStation V5 Academic Users (Re: Student Version of Microstation)

merlin

Aug 28, 1994, 5:13:10 PM8/28/94
First: Who am I? A PhD Graduate Fellow in NeuroBiology building three
dimensional models of the brain to generate still frames and animations
using phong shading and ray tracing. My background includes extensive
experience with scientific computing and visualization on a wide variety
of machines and systems from IBM Card Programmable Calculators to Crays,
service as Manager--Academic Computing--San Diego State University, and
extensive graduate school teaching experience in West Coast University's
Computer Science, Management Information Systems & Engineering Technical
Management programs. I am familiar with most of the products available
for 3D modeling and reconstruction in the academic marketplace today.
I have no financial stake or other interest in Bentley Systems.

Second: What is Bentley MicroStation V5? It is a portable enhancement
of the standard Integraph 2D/3D drafting and rendering system from VAX
to run on a wide range of platforms from Intel 386 (DOS/Win31/WinNT/OS2)
to SUN & SGI multiple processor networked central campus server systems.
Bentley MicroStation V5 bundles and makes available a single $150.00 CD
containing virtually all capabilities of AutoCAD (plus numerous required
add-on AutoDesk products) at extremely low cost for academic end users.

Third: Why should you care? Bentley MicroStation V5 is perhaps the best
competitor for AutoCAD today. AutoCAD was initially developed and grew
out of a PC/386/DOS extender technology which severely limited the speed
and features which would be built into the product from its earliest days.
Bentley MicroStation was initially developed on companywide servers with
superior performance which expanded the range of options for features to
be included into the base product -- features which were readily brought
down to the desktop PC environment when the performance of desktop systems
made it possible to port those features without customer dissatisfaction.
AutoCAD is still limited to running on relatively low performance personal
computers while Bentley MicroStation V5 allows seamless movement of models
and rendering tasks among a wide family of computers from desktop 386's to
central campus multiprocessor networked SUN & SGI servers.

>I have heard there is a student version of Microstation, does anyone have
>the price and version list.

Well, with the transition of MicroStation support from Intergraph (people
who initially developed the underlaying CAD system on a VAX) to Bentley
(developers of the PC DOS, PC Windows 3.1, PC Windows/NT, Mac, RS/6000,
HP700, SGI, SUN, DEC Alpha, Mac, [and OS/2 2.1] ports of MicroStation V5)
the appropriate point of contact for academic purchasers has changed.

People interested in further information on the Academic Program can send
email to acad...@bentley.com and a member of Bentley's staff will respond
to them. Their fax number is 610/458-1060. They prefer email, but they
may also be contacted by telephone at 610/458-5000.

Diane Davis (diane...@bentley.com) is the Academic Program Manager and
key contact person. Eric Larson (erik....@bentley.com) can also answer
questions about the program. They both enjoy talking to educators and
students and would be happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

Bentley will probably refer you directly or indirectly to a Microstation
Academic Reseller near you. Your campus bookstore is also eligible to
arrange with The Douglas Stewart Company, 2402 Advance Rd., Madison WI
53704 to resell MicroStation V5 on campus -- suggested price for academic
users (faculty and students involved in nonprofit studies) runs ~ $150.00
per single user personal computer or for each floating license in a campus
networked workstation environment. The academic system is the same full
featured version as the regular commercial with exception that you cannot
resell/transfer it to any third party -- and it is not permitted be used
for commercial/profitmaking projects.

I must tell you we really love MicroStation V5. Many faculty & students
in USC's Neural, Informational, and Behavioral Systems Program acquired
MicroStation V5 to support 3D modeling of the brain & structures inside
the brain. We are not the usual mechanical engineers, civil engineers,
architects, interior designers, space planners, or other computer aided
engineering literate users of this product. However, in the short span
of a couple of months we have been able to produce good 3D shell models
using B splines and phong rendering for use in our classes and research.
No other product, including AutoCAD (after searching for years) provided
the necessary computer tools and telephone hotline / email support which
we needed to construct these models. This is a remarkable product. No
other product allowed us to even try constructing our models without the
requirement for a substantial investment (large cash outlay up front or
enormous wasted time porting and adapting public domain/shareware source
code) -- MicroStation V5 represents an incredible bargain at $150.00 for
academic/nonprofit users.

If you have any questions about our use of this product I would be very
happy to correspond with you via email, snail mail, or telephone.

Alexander-James Annala
Principal Investigator
Neuroscience Image Analysis Network
HEDCO Neuroscience Building, Fifth Floor
University of Southern California
University Park
Los Angeles, CA 90089-2520

merlin

Aug 29, 1994, 3:19:56 PM8/29/94
Oops -- I am told by Bentley Systems the suggested academic price
was reluctantly raised from $150 to $190 -- still a bargain for a
$3K or $4K full featured commercial package.

Brian Meek

Aug 30, 1994, 12:56:35 AM8/30/94
merlin (mer...@neuro.usc.edu) wrote:
: Oops -- I am told by Bentley Systems the suggested academic price

: was reluctantly raised from $150 to $190 -- still a bargain for a
: $3K or $4K full featured commercial package.

I've been coresponding with them all summer about the Mac version of
V5---> Initially due in May '94, then June, now....September?
From what I've seen, it's decent, but then again, I *still* don't have it.

--
*#*##*#*#*##*#*#*#*##*###*##*#*#*#*##*#*#*#*#*##*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
Alb...@infinet.com -or- Albe...@delphi.com

Dwayne Sandall

Aug 30, 1994, 3:35:34 AM8/30/94
In article <33ue63$i...@rigel.infinet.com>, alb...@infinet.com (Brian Meek)
wrote:

> I've been coresponding with them all summer about the Mac version of
> V5---> Initially due in May '94, then June, now....September?
> From what I've seen, it's decent, but then again, I *still* don't have it.

That Mac date goes back to October of last year, which was the story I was
told last summer at AEC Systems in Anaheim. A while ago, I was told October
of this year, which may very well translate into a great Christmas
present:-)

--
Dwayne Sandall
Advanced Visualization Lab - CADLAB

Harri Cherkoori

Aug 30, 1994, 5:23:38 AM8/30/94

Brian Meek <alb...@infinet.com> wrote:

>I've been coresponding with them all summer about the Mac version of
>V5---> Initially due in May '94, then June, now....September?

we were informed by our local microstation dealers that the mac version
is due mid-september. they were calculating with a six weeks period
from its release in the states => it must be out in the us already,

regards,

--
harri cherkoori (ha...@dc.co.at)
d0gl-cherkoori: virtual real-estate

merlin

Aug 30, 1994, 10:23:25 PM8/30/94
In article <33ue63$i...@rigel.infinet.com> alb...@infinet.com (Brian Meek) writes:
>I've been coresponding with them all summer about the Mac version of
>V5---> Initially due in May '94, then June, now....September?

The Beta Mac versions were released in March, June, and July 1994 -- with
the July release said to be the final Beta Mac -- any final problem reports
were requested to be turned in quite rapidly. I would, as a consequence,
expect Mac Release to be available within a very short time from now.

Harri Cherkoori

Sep 4, 1994, 5:32:40 PM9/4/94
In article <347vvg$8...@bmerha64.bnr.ca>,
Todd Sandrock <sand...@bnr.ca> wrote:
>Dwayne: Get out while you still can.--+
>Others: Stay far, far away.

please clarify that message in a bottle!

Lord C

Sep 5, 1994, 3:53:24 PM9/5/94

***Does it run with a dongle?
The reason Autocad took the lead was there was plenty of pirate copies
around hence plenty of experienced users out there.
Intergraph was dongled,no one could practice on it and get experienced
and it ran up a cul-de-sac. Autocad became the global leader.

--
Lord C (AKA Lord Boris Charvington ) of London UK
lo...@sparrow.demon.co.uk

Roland BAUER

Sep 6, 1994, 1:24:09 PM9/6/94
In article <778794...@sparrow.demon.co.uk> lo...@sparrow.demon.co.uk (Lord C) writes:
>***Does it run with a dongle?
> The reason Autocad took the lead was there was plenty of pirate copies
> around hence plenty of experienced users out there.
> Intergraph was dongled,no one could practice on it and get experienced
> and it ran up a cul-de-sac. Autocad became the global leader.

It seems that Intergraph has learnt the lesson:

While AutoCAD is dongled now (and makes problems for this reason),
Microstation is not dongled. Funny, isn't it?

Roland

--
Roland BAUER | EMAIL: ba...@afthp001.tuwien.ac.at
Abt. Foerdertechnik | PHONE: (0222) 58-801 / 48-61
| University of Technology, Vienna

Brian Kirkegaard

Sep 6, 1994, 8:33:17 AM9/6/94
> Oops -- I am told by Bentley Systems the suggested academic price
> was reluctantly raised from $150 to $190 -- still a bargain for a
> $3K or $4K full featured commercial package.

What is the difference between the academic package and the "full
featured commercial" package?

-Brian

Brian Kirkegaard
Department of Mathematics & Computer Science,
Aalborg University (AUC)
Denmark
E-mail: bk...@iesd.auc.dk

Robert Hart

Sep 6, 1994, 10:59:11 AM9/6/94
In article <BKIRK.94S...@black.iesd.auc.dk> bk...@black.iesd.auc.dk (Brian Kirkegaard) writes:
>From: bk...@black.iesd.auc.dk (Brian Kirkegaard)
>Newsgroups:
>alt.sys.intergraph,comp.graphics,comp.graphics.visualization,comp.cad.autocad,al
>t.cad.autocad,alt.cad
>Subject: Re: MicroStation V5 Academic Users (Re: Student Version of
>Microstation)
>Date: 06 Sep 1994 12:33:17 GMT

>> Oops -- I am told by Bentley Systems the suggested academic price
>> was reluctantly raised from $150 to $190 -- still a bargain for a
>> $3K or $4K full featured commercial package.
>>

>What is the difference between the academic package and the "full
>featured commercial" package?

The academic package is the full product. The only thing you won't get is the
MDL manuals which are not sold with the product. ( but you wont need them
unless you want to do programming)
RH

Todd Sandrock

Sep 7, 1994, 12:33:00 PM9/7/94
In article <34dedo$g...@Industry.dc.co.at> Harri Cherkoori, ha...@dc.co.at
writes:

> In article <347vvg$8...@bmerha64.bnr.ca>,
> Todd Sandrock <sand...@bnr.ca> wrote:
> >Dwayne: Get out while you still can.--+
> >Others: Stay far, far away.
>
> please clarify that message in a bottle!

Sure!

It's a bad school of architecture. Students end up being the political
playthings of some tenured professors, many of whom are not registered
architects. Practice is deemphasized to the point of near non-existence.
I went there for six years, and would not recommend anyone waste their
time there. Interestingly enough, I, in my own small way, helped
establish the lab that Dwayne is working in today. I wonder if he has my
old office? :)

Todd Sandrock | never an architect | sand...@bnr.ca | Ottawa,Ontario

Shar is parallel parking. Todd and Greg Wesson are watching.
TODD: OW! You ran over my foot!
SHAR: What were you doing standing on the road?
TODD: What were *you* doing driving on the sidewalk?!

These are my opinions and not those of Northern Telecom North America

Tim Brown

Sep 8, 1994, 10:13:36 AM9/8/94
Brian,

There is nothing different between the two packages. The Academic
version is full featured. We do however maintain a small dialog
on the screen that references that the version being run is the
Academic version. Other than that IT IS V5.

Tim

Tim Brown 610-458-5000
Bentley Systems, Inc. 610-458-1060 fax
690 Pennsylvania Drive Internet: tim....@bentley.com
Exton, PA 19341 CSID: 73370, 2316

Tim Brown

Sep 8, 1994, 9:16:07 AM9/8/94
>we were informed by our local microstation dealers that the mac version
>is due mid-september. they were calculating with a six weeks period
>from its release in the states => it must be out in the us already,
>
>regards,
>
>--
>harri cherkoori (ha...@dc.co.at)
>d0gl-cherkoori: virtual real-estate
>vienna, austria, fax: (43-1) 535 074 14

Harry you are correct.... We will pload (cut) V5 for the 68K Mac this
coming week (9-12ish). it will then be shipped to IG to be kitted.

You should expect it in Mid October.

Tim Brown

Sep 8, 1994, 9:12:39 AM9/8/94

>I've been coresponding with them all summer about the Mac version of
>V5---> Initially due in May '94, then June, now....September?
>From what I've seen, it's decent, but then again, I *still* don't have it.

In talking to the developers we should Pload V5 for the 68K Mac's
this coming Monday. (9/12). It will then be shipped to Intergraph
to be kitted (Docs, disks, duplication, etc - about 4-6 weeks)

Tim Brown

Sep 8, 1994, 9:24:52 AM9/8/94
In article <778794...@sparrow.demon.co.uk>, lo...@sparrow.demon.co.uk (Lord C) says:

>In article <33tccs$9...@neuro.usc.edu> mer...@neuro.usc.edu "merlin" writes:
>

>***Does it run with a dongle?
>--
>Lord C (AKA Lord Boris Charvington ) of London UK
> lo...@sparrow.demon.co.uk

Boris,

V5 on both the PC and MAC will not require a dongle. This compared to
Versions 3 and 4. In Version 5 we now have a registration process
to validate the product.

Lord C

Sep 11, 1994, 9:16:26 AM9/11/94
In article <34n3b4$f...@sun630.bentley.com>
tim....@bentley.com "Tim Brown" writes:

> V5 on both the PC and MAC will not require a dongle. This compared to
> Versions 3 and 4. In Version 5 we now have a registration process
> to validate the product.
>
> Tim

***Could you tell me where in London or the UK i can obtain a copy?
I tried to buy a copy of Microstation a few years back and no one would
sell me a copy, without a complete system, for big bucks.

Jost Muxfeldt

Sep 11, 1994, 12:36:40 PM9/11/94
Does anyone know if there is a demo version available of Microstation
Mac?

Jost Muxfeldt

jo...@contrib.de

TOMMY TAM

Sep 11, 1994, 6:12:08 PM9/11/94

>>What is the difference between the academic package and the "full
>>featured commercial" package?
>

>The academic package is the full product. The only thing you won't get is the
>MDL manuals which are not sold with the product. ( but you wont need them
>unless you want to do programming)
> RH

>>-Brian
>>--
>
>>---------------------------------------------
>>Brian Kirkegaard
>>Department of Mathematics & Computer Science,
>>Aalborg University (AUC)
>>Denmark
>>E-mail: bk...@iesd.auc.dk
>>---------------------------------------------

How do I go about in purchasing the academic version of microstation version5?
Can someone provide me with the info?
thanks!!!!!

merlin

Sep 13, 1994, 1:54:32 AM9/13/94
>***Does it run with a dongle?
> The reason Autocad took the lead was there was plenty of pirate copies
> around hence plenty of experienced users out there.
> Intergraph was dongled,no one could practice on it and get experienced
> and it ran up a cul-de-sac. Autocad became the global leader.

While I don't agree with the idea of 'no dongle' == piracy == good thing
the fact of the matter is Bentley/Intergraph MicroStation V5 does not have
a dongle. Some older versions came with a dongle. But the new academic
version (the same as the full commercial version except a little startup
not describing the software as intended for the academic marketplace) does
not use a dongle.

Kai Engelhardt

Sep 13, 1994, 5:07:41 AM9/13/94
In article <779289...@sparrow.demon.co.uk> lo...@sparrow.demon.co.uk (Lord C) writes:

Lord> In article <34n3b4$f...@sun630.bentley.com>
Lord> [...]
Lord> ***Could you tell me where in London or the UK i can obtain
Lord> a copy? I tried to buy a copy of Microstation a few years
Lord> back and no one would sell me a copy, without a complete
Lord> system, for big bucks.

Same for me in Germany ;-(
Who could help?

--
Kai Engelhardt, Department of Computer Science, Kiel University
Tel: +49 431 5604 97 S-Mail: Preusserstrasse 1-9, D 24105 Kiel

--
"Der Mond ist eine Scheybe" -Karl Arsch

Shou Wen Chen

Sep 13, 1994, 9:43:44 AM9/13/94

How can I can a ustn5.0 for academic price ? I am a CIS major in NJIT. Is there
any vendor I can contact around NJ area ?

Chen,

Tim Brown

Sep 20, 1994, 11:33:22 AM9/20/94

Currently we do not have a demo of MicroStation for the Mac. I will relay
your request to management to see if we can create a demonstration utility
for the Mac. Our Pro Demo CD Version 1.2 does have a demo version of
all platforms except the Mac (As it was not available at the time) If
and when we update it I will announce it on this forum.

Tim

Tim Brown 610-458-5000
Bentley Systems, Inc. 610-458-1060 fax

690 Pennsylvania Drive Inet: tim....@bentley.com

Tim Brown

Sep 20, 1994, 1:18:27 PM9/20/94
In article <779289...@sparrow.demon.co.uk>, lo...@sparrow.demon.co.uk (Lord C) says:

>***Could you tell me where in London or the UK i can obtain a copy?
> I tried to buy a copy of Microstation a few years back and no one would
> sell me a copy, without a complete system, for big bucks.
>--
>Lord C (AKA Lord Boris Charvington ) of London UK
> lo...@sparrow.demon.co.uk

I have passed your request on to our International Sales
Organization. THey will be contacting you shortly.