Public Acces VME

Tarquin Mills

Aug 23, 2004, 6:46:44 PM8/23/04
Is there a public access mainframe running VME like SDF sdf.lonestar.org
(http and gopher) is for NetBSD, TOPS-20 and Genera on the Internet?
Where do you buy VME magazines from?

--
Tarquin Mills
"What's sensible got to do with it ?

Nick Leverton

Aug 24, 2004, 2:27:46 PM8/24/04
In article <fe0e29e34...@localhost.local>,

Tarquin Mills <specc...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>Is there a public access mainframe running VME like SDF sdf.lonestar.org
>(http and gopher) is for NetBSD, TOPS-20 and Genera on the Internet?
>Where do you buy VME magazines from?

Well I think I've got a 1988 issue of Computing in the attic[*], that
probably mentions VME :)

Nick

[*] along with other ICL ephemera - though I ditched the surplus DRS20
manuals when I discovered the BCS already had a full set.
--
"And we will be restoring neurotypicality just as soon as we are sure
what is normal anyway. Thank you". -- not quite DNA

Don Folland

Sep 20, 2004, 4:25:09 AM9/20/04
Tarquin Mills <specc...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Is there a public access mainframe running VME like SDF sdf.lonestar.org
> (http and gopher) is for NetBSD, TOPS-20 and Genera on the Internet?
> Where do you buy VME magazines from?

You could keep in touch with the world of VME via the AXiS user group.
Its web site, http://www.axis.org.uk, has a significant public area as
well as a restricted area for AXiS members. I produce a quarterly
newsletter for members which reaches the public domain in due course as
you will see from the web site.

The good news is that Fujitsu Services have recently agreed to extend
the life of VME until at least 2020.

If you have a specific need please contact me at: dfol...@axis.org.uk
and I will ascertain whether any AXiS members could help.

Today is the first time for months that I have been able to receive a
news feed from alt.sys.icl. Whilst subscribed to Demon as my ISP it
appeared that they had dropped that group from their news collection.
Today I found it again via BTInternet.

Nick Leverton

Sep 24, 2004, 2:45:53 AM9/24/04
In article <1gkemaq.avpa802emwasN%d...@amsunews.demon.co.uk>,
Don Folland <d...@amsunews.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>The good news is that Fujitsu Services have recently agreed to extend
>the life of VME until at least 2020.

What kit does VME run on these days ? Do FJ still manufacture "big iron" ?

>Today is the first time for months that I have been able to receive a
>news feed from alt.sys.icl. Whilst subscribed to Demon as my ISP it
>appeared that they had dropped that group from their news collection.
>Today I found it again via BTInternet.

It is also carried on the public-access server news.individual.net (see
http://news.individual.net to get a free account for the news service).
They only carry text groups not binary ones, but it is very reliable,
and spam-filtered so you almost never see any spam.

Nick

Harold Cloutt

Sep 25, 2004, 2:45:34 AM9/25/04
Nick

Current offerings from Fujitsu are miniNOVA and NOVA. These are based on an
Intel chip. VME is run using microcode - as it has been for as long as I can
remember.

Earlier machines based on Intel chips were DY [Daisy] and DL [Daffodil]. As
I understand it windows is loaded on the machine first.

Fujitsu have recently announced superNOVA which is not a machine but a
concept. VME will run on a Windows certified server. The was a demonstration
machine at the AXiS [VME user Group] conference last year. www.axis.org.uk
is a good source of information.

Harold Cloutt

Nick Leverton <ni...@leverton.org> wrote in message