The guns on "Life Below Zero"

bookburn

Mar 9, 2018, 11:56:29 AM3/9/18
The BBC series on "life Below Zero" in Alaska, featuring several regulars and their lifestyles, has lots of guns pictured, but not much information about them. Looking it up, I did find out some info.

Sue Aikens, managing her airfield resupply station north of the Arctic Circle is evidently wealthy enough and interested enough to own a whole collection of guns; but then she keeps changing them around. Had a Ruger semi-automatic .22 for shooting grouse and ptarmigan, which seems a good choice, but then switched at least once to some kind of lever action, not sure what caliber.

She likes to carry around really big pistols, evidently because she's out there alone and once had a bear mauling.

Issue comes up about what rifle she was shooting on that recent episode of bear hunting, where she shot a grizzly at about 150 yards. Mystery about her using what looked like a semi-automatic of the .223/5.56 M4 type, which is not enough gun for brown bear. See the pictures at

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586612

https://www.google.com/search?q=Life+below+zero+guns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidneCSy9_ZAhVG6mMKHWzBDOIQsAQIVQ&biw=788&bih=447

However, knowledgeable gun mavens opine that it must be the AR-10 in .308, which is a reasonable compromise for a woman.

The old gun used by Chip and Agnes Hailstone is apparently a Mosin Nagant 91/30, what the Finns used in WW-II. Picture at the above above site shows how long the barrel is, with that bolt sticking out. Shows it with a scope mounted, although in the TV series, Agnes is shooting it with open sights. Go figure.

Its the gun used by Glen Villaneuve, hunting from his camp in the Brooks Range, that draws lots of questions, because of the "can" at the muzzle. We see what looks like a stainless steel Ruger 77, but no caliber mentioned. At his blog site, Villaneuve describes it as a Ruger M77 MKII in 30-06 with a Leupold 2-7x scope and an SRT Shadow XL TI suppressor. Likes the suppressor as a silencer more than recoil reducer. It's his idea of an ideal all-around rifle for everything.

.30-'06 is still considered a good choice for Alaska, despite all the .30 magnums and .338s out there. However, could be that Sue Aiken's choice of a semi-automatic .308 with short barrel makes a superior survival weapon, even though it looks like an assault rifle. My choice of a Ruger Alaskan in .375 Ruger seems now to be a bit excessive, since it requires the suppressor for both silencing and recoil reduction. And Villaneuve's choice of the longer barrel is probably more desirable for all-around shooting.

Frank

Mar 9, 2018, 1:04:52 PM3/9/18
I followed this show and guns are strange but so are the people. I quit
watching it. At one time Chip was only shooting a muzzle loader because
of a problem he had where he was not allowed modern gun. Think it was
before he went to jail for a time.

bookburn

Mar 9, 2018, 4:48:46 PM3/9/18
Might have been that he was hunting musk oxen on a lottery draw, and the rules require black powder. I see signs that he's back now from doing time for making a false statement, or something. Survival of the series is in question, because now in the sixth season they look older and have cares. Sue Aikens has little respite, it seems, having to "man" her operation throughout the year, while the others have the seasons figured out so they can take time off for visiting and shopping.

Frank

Mar 9, 2018, 6:54:18 PM3/9/18
I like these kind of shows but people can get too weird.

There is also a Mountain Man show that I like but a couple of these guys
are weird. One of the normal guy's, Tom, pointed out elsewhere that
life is nowhere near as hard as the producers would have you think.

bookburn

Mar 9, 2018, 8:34:45 PM3/9/18
I do notice that the producers are encouraging odd predicaments and drama for their shows, which are edited. Accidents shown are probably contrived?

The segments shown about Andy Bassich and his camp on the Yukon are strange to me, because he seems to have a very large investment in equipment for everything, yet explains he lives as he does to keep improving by making mistakes and learning, etc.. Notice that his wife left him, so there he is alone with all that, trying to keep busy. His strangeness may come from having lived in Washington, D.C.?

Glen Villaneuve is a mystery, it seems, because he, too, is evidently wealthy and is into real estate and stocks and bonds. Previous occupation as a "courier" smacks a bit of a spooky prior life. Names he gave daughters of a previous marriage are out of this world.

So I like watching for telling details of the real lives of those on the series, which are like docu-dramas? Sort of Alaska's soap operas.

Frank

Mar 10, 2018, 7:17:02 AM3/10/18
Noticed that about Andy but do not think show mentioned where wife went.

Yes it is over dramatic. It's all about getting viewers interested.
Personal experience, I made a video once where we used a professional
actor. I remember one scene we had to tape over 15 times. Then we only
showed the take we wanted. I've seen a TV video made where filming took
3 hours at one location to show maybe 5 seconds of the location.

I might watch it if nothing else is on but quit recording to view on a
regular basis.

Gunner Asch

Mar 17, 2018, 12:15:48 PM3/17/18
On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 13:40:33 -0500, 1mO4f?? ? ?????? ??????? ? ??G5Q9
<o6...@XEs5e.com> wrote:

>Frank wrote on 3/9/2018 1:04 PM:
>>>
>> I followed this show and guns are strange but so are the people. I
>> quit watching it. At one time Chip was only shooting a muzzle loader
>> because of a problem he had where he was not allowed modern gun.
>> Think it was before he went to jail for a time.
>

>"The right to bear arms" in the Second Amendment means muskets, not AR-15s.
>
><https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/13/the-men-who-wrote-the-2nd-amendment-would-never-recognize-an-ar-15/?utm_term=.da734299280d>
>
>Of course, semiautomatic firearms technology didn't exist in any
>meaningful sense in the era of the founding fathers. They had something
>much different in mind when they drafted the Second Amendment. The
>typical firearms of the day were muskets and flintlock pistols. They
>could hold a single round at a time, and a skilled shooter could hope to
>get off three or possibly four rounds in a minute of firing. By all
>accounts they were not particularly accurate either
><https://allthingsliberty.com/2013/07/the-inaccuracy-of-muskets/>.

Then by your own usage...the First Amendment does not include Radio,
TV, high speed printing presses, any electronically associated forms
of communication and so forth. Are you in agreement?

---

Gunner Asch

Mar 17, 2018, 12:19:10 PM3/17/18
<o6...@XEs5e.com> wrote:

>Frank wrote on 3/9/2018 1:04 PM:
>>>
>> I followed this show and guns are strange but so are the people. I
>> quit watching it. At one time Chip was only shooting a muzzle loader
>> because of a problem he had where he was not allowed modern gun.
>> Think it was before he went to jail for a time.
>

>"The right to bear arms" in the Second Amendment means muskets, not AR-15s.
>
><https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/13/the-men-who-wrote-the-2nd-amendment-would-never-recognize-an-ar-15/?utm_term=.da734299280d>
>
>Of course, semiautomatic firearms technology didn't exist in any
>meaningful sense in the era of the founding fathers. They had something
>much different in mind when they drafted the Second Amendment. The
>typical firearms of the day were muskets and flintlock pistols. They
>could hold a single round at a time, and a skilled shooter could hope to
>get off three or possibly four rounds in a minute of firing. By all
>accounts they were not particularly accurate either
><https://allthingsliberty.com/2013/07/the-inaccuracy-of-muskets/>.

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..."
- George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress,
January 8, 1790

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not
warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of
resistance. Let them take arms."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature.
They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to
commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and
better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to
prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater
confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century
criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises,
I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it
gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played
with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body
and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your
constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter
Carr, August 19, 1785

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States)
assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may
exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at
all times armed."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824

"On every occasion [of Constitutional interpretation] let us carry
ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted,
recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying
[to force] what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented
against it, [instead let us] conform to the probable one in which it
was passed."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, 12 June 1823

"I enclose you a list of the killed, wounded, and captives of the
enemy from the commencement of hostilities at Lexington in April,
1775, until November, 1777, since which there has been no event of any
consequence ... I think that upon the whole it has been about one half
the number lost by them, in some instances more, but in others less.
This difference is ascribed to our superiority in taking aim when we
fire; every soldier in our army having been intimate with his gun from
his infancy."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Giovanni Fabbroni, June 8, 1778

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

"To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by
Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several
State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June
14, 1788

"I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people,
except a few public officers."
- George Mason, Address to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 4,
1788

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they
are in almost every country in Europe. The supreme power in America
cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the
people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of
regular troops."
- Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the
Federal Constitution, October 10, 1787

"Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess
over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of
subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by
which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the
enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple
government of any form can admit of."
- James Madison, Federalist No. 46, January 29, 1788

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained
to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."
- James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434, June 8, 1789

"...the ultimate authority, wherever the derivative may be found,
resides in the people alone..."
- James Madison, Federalist No. 46, January 29, 1788

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is
the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November
18, 1783

“A militia when properly formed are in fact the people themselves…and
include, according to the past and general usuage of the states, all
men capable of bearing arms… "To preserve liberty, it is essential
that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught
alike, especially when young, how to use them."
- Richard Henry Lee, Federal Farmer No. 18, January 25, 1788

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who
approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but
downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined....
The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able
might have a gun."
- Patrick Henry, Speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 5,
1778

"This may be considered as the true palladium of liberty.... The right
of self defense is the first law of nature: in most governments it has
been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest
limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right
of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext
whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the
brink of destruction."
- St. George Tucker, Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England,
1803

"The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the
other hand, arms, like law, discourage and keep the invader and the
plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.
The balance ofpower is the scale of peace. The same balance would be
preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be
alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside. And
while a single nation refuses to lay them down, it is proper that all
should keep them up. Horrid mischief would ensue were one-half the
world deprived of the use of them; for while avarice and ambition have
a place in the heart of man, the weak will become a prey to the
strong. The history of every age and nation establishes these truths,
and facts need but little arguments when they prove themselves."
- Thomas Paine, "Thoughts on Defensive War" in Pennsylvania Magazine,
July 1775

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of
the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own
arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been
considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it
offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power
of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the
first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them."
- Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States,
1833

"What, Sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty .... Whenever
Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people,
they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army
upon their ruins."
- Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, I Annals of Congress 750,
August 17, 1789

"For it is a truth, which the experience of ages has attested, that
the people are always most in danger when the means of injuring their
rights are in the possession of those of whom they entertain the least
suspicion."
- Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 25, December 21, 1787

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there
is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of
self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government,
and which against the usurpations of the national rulers, may be
exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those
of the rulers of an individual state. In a single state, if the
persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different
parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no
distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense.
The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without
system, without resource; except in their courage and despair."
- Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

"[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form
an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the
liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens,
little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms,
who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their
fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be
devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against
it, if it should exist."
- Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28, January 10, 1788

"As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people before them, may
attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be
occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power
to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by
the article in their right to keep and bear their private arms."
- Tench Coxe, Philadelphia Federal Gazette, June 18, 1789

CdRA6⚛← ╬ 𝑴𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒚 𝑾𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒂𝒃𝒆 ╬ →⚛e4D9

Mar 17, 2018, 12:22:42 PM3/17/18
It doesn't include toilet paper too. Is that why you are wiping your
arse with your bare hands, you fucking retard?

Gunner Asch

Mar 17, 2018, 12:42:38 PM3/17/18
<o6...@XEs5e.com> wrote:

>Frank wrote on 3/9/2018 1:04 PM:
>>>
>> I followed this show and guns are strange but so are the people. I
>> quit watching it. At one time Chip was only shooting a muzzle loader
>> because of a problem he had where he was not allowed modern gun.
>> Think it was before he went to jail for a time.
>

>"The right to bear arms" in the Second Amendment means muskets, not AR-15s.
>
><https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/13/the-men-who-wrote-the-2nd-amendment-would-never-recognize-an-ar-15/?utm_term=.da734299280d>
>
>Of course, semiautomatic firearms technology didn't exist in any
>meaningful sense in the era of the founding fathers. They had something
>much different in mind when they drafted the Second Amendment. The
>typical firearms of the day were muskets and flintlock pistols. They
>could hold a single round at a time, and a skilled shooter could hope to
>get off three or possibly four rounds in a minute of firing. By all
>accounts they were not particularly accurate either
><https://allthingsliberty.com/2013/07/the-inaccuracy-of-muskets/>.

https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of-the-hand-grenade-1991668

A grenade is a small explosive, chemical, or gas bomb. It is used at
short range, thrown by hand or launched with a grenade launcher. The
resulting powerful explosion causes shockwaves and disperses
high-speed fragments of the metal, which provoke shrapnel wounds. The
word grenade comes from the French word for pomegranate, early
grenades looked like pomegranates.

Grenades first came into use around the 15th century and the first
inventor cannot be named.

The first grenades were hollow iron balls filled with gunpowder and
ignited by a slow burning wick. During the 17th century, armies began
to form specialized divisions of soldiers trained to throw grenades.
These specialists were called grenadiers, and for a time were regarded
as elite fighters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rockets

The first rockets may have appeared as early as the 10th century Song
dynasty China, however more solid documentary evidence does not appear
until the 13th century. The technology probably spread across Eurasia
in the wake of the Mongol invasions of the mid-13th century. Usage of
rockets as weapons prior to modern rocketry is attested in China,
Korea, India, and Europe. One of the first recorded rocket launchers
is the "wasp nest" fire arrow launcher produced by the Ming dynasty in
1380. In Europe rockets were also used in the same year at the Battle
of Chioggia. The Joseon kingdom of Korea made use of a type of mobile
multiple rocket launcher known as the "Munjong Hwacha" by 1451. Iron
cased rockets, known as Mysorean rockets, were developed in Kingdom of
Mysore by the late 15th century and were later copied by the British.
The later models and improvements were known as the Congreve rocket
and used in the Napoleonic Wars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_gun

Early rapid-firing weapons
Detail of an 8-chambered matchlock revolver (Germany c. 1580)

The first known ancestors of multi-shot weapons were medieval organ
guns, while the first to have the ability to fire multiple shots from
a single barrel without a full manual reload were revolvers made in
Europe in the late 1500s. One is a shoulder-gun-length weapon made in
Nuremberg, Germany, circa 1580. Another is a revolving arquebus,
produced by Hans Stopler of Nuremberg in 1597.[5]

True repeating long arms were difficult to manufacture prior to the
development of the unitary firearm cartridge; nevertheless,
lever-action repeating rifles such as the Kalthoff repeater and
Cookson repeater were made in small quantities in the 17th century.
Replica Puckle Gun from Bucklers Hard Maritime Museum.

Another early revolving gun was created by James Puckle, a London
lawyer, who patented what he called "The Puckle Gun" on May 15, 1718.
It was a design for a manually operated 1.25 in. (32 mm) caliber,
flintlock cannon with a revolver cylinder able to fire 6-11 rounds
before reloading by swapping out the cylinder, intended for use on
ships.[6] It was one of the earliest weapons to be referred to as a
machine gun, being called such in 1722,[7] though its operation does
not match the modern usage of the term. According to Puckle, it was
able to fire round bullets at Christians and square bullets at
Turks.[6] However, it was a commercial failure and was not adopted or
produced in any meaningful quantity.

In 1777, Philadelphia gunsmith Joseph Belton offered the Continental
Congress a "new improved gun", which was capable of firing up to
twenty shots in five seconds; unlike older repeaters using complex
lever-action mechanisms, it used a simpler system of superposed loads,
and was loaded with a single large paper cartridge. Congress requested
that Belton modify 100 flintlock muskets to fire eight shots in this
manner, but rescinded the order when Belton's price proved too
high.[8][9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_thermal_weapons

Flaming arrows, bolts, spears and rockets

Lit torches (burning sticks) were likely the earliest form of
incendiary device. They were followed by incendiary arrows, which were
used throughout the ancient and medieval periods. The simplest flaming
arrows had oil- or resin-soaked tows tied just below the arrowhead and
were effective against wooden structures.[13] Both the Assyrians and
the Judeans used fire arrows at the siege of Lachish in 701 BC.[54]
More sophisticated devices were developed by the Romans which had iron
boxes and tubes which were filled with incendiary substances and
attached to arrows or spears. These arrows needed to be shot from
loose bows, since swift flight extinguished the flame; spears could be
launched by hand or throwing machine.[55]

Flaming arrows required the shooter to get quite close to their
desired target and most will have extinguished themselves before
reaching the target. In response, another form of fire arrow was
developed which consisted of curved metal bars connecting a tip and
hollow end for the shaft. The resulting cage was filled with hot coals
or other solid object which could be fired from a much stronger bow or
ballista without fear of extinguishing and would be used to ignite
straw or thatch roofs from a safer distance.

Flaming arrows and crossbow bolts were used throughout the period.
Fifteenth-century writer Gutierre Diaz de Gamez witnessed a Spanish
attack on the Moorish town of Oran in 1404 and later described how
"During the most part of the night, the galleys did not cease from
firing bolts and quarrells dipped in tar into the town, which is near
the sea. The noise and the cries which came from the town were very
great by reason of the havoc that was wrought."[56]

Anna Komnene records that at the 1091 Battle of Levounion, lighted
torches were fixed to spears.[57]

The Chinese Song Dynasty created fire arrows - rockets attached to
arrows and launched in mass through platforms, and later created
rockets such as the huo long chu shui, a multistage rocket used in
naval combat. Primitive rockets made from bamboo and leather were used
by the Mongols, under Genghis Khan, but were inaccurate.[58] However,
the Fatamids used "Chinese arrows" from the 11th Century, which
probably included saltpetre.[14] The Mamluks experimented with a
rocket-powered weapon described as "an egg which moves itself and
burns."[59]

A 2-metre-long (2.2 yd) iron crossbow-bolt probably designed to carry
a fire cartridge was found in a 13th-14th-century castle in Vladimir,
Eastern Russia.[60] Such large machine-thrown bolts were ideal for
incendiary weapons. The Mongols used an "ox-bow" machine to throw
bolts which had been dipped in burning pitch, with a range of 2500
paces.[61]

During the British Civil Wars (mid-17th century in Great Britain),
both the Parliamentarian and Royalist armies used various incendiary
devices to attack enemies and destroy property that might be used for
military purposes, according to historian Stephen Porter in
Destruction in the English Civil Wars. The flaming arrow attack was
used to set fire to buildings at a distance.[62] An arrow with a
flammable substance attached to the shaft, close to the tip, was shot
from a bow or short-muzzled musket. Such arrows shot from a musket had
their feathers removed, to fit inside the muzzle, and were called
fire-darts. These devices were cheap to make and easy to prepare.
Although used infrequently during the wars, the flaming arrows and
darts proved to be destructive. The Royalists shot flaming arrows into
the thatched homes in the suburbs of Chester causing extensive damage.
Lyme Regis was partly razed using flaming arrows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon

he earliest known depiction of cannon appeared in Song dynasty China
as early as the 12th century, however solid archaeological and
documentary evidence of cannon do not appear until the 13th
century.[2] In 1288 Yuan dynasty troops are recorded to have used hand
cannons in combat, and the earliest extant cannon bearing a date of
production comes from the same period.[3][4][5] Evidence of cannon
next appeared in Europe. By 1326 depictions of cannon had also
appeared in Europe and almost immediately recorded usage of cannon
began appearing.[6][7] By the end of the 14th century cannon were
widespread throughout Eurasia.[8][9][10][11][12][12] Cannon were used
primarily as anti-infantry weapons until around 1374 when cannon were
recorded to have breached walls for the first time in Europe.[13]
Cannon featured prominently as siege weapons and ever larger pieces
appeared. In 1464 a 16,000 kg cannon known as the Great Turkish
Bombard was created in the Ottoman Empire.[14] Cannon as field
artillery became more important after 1453 with the introduction of
limber, which greatly improved cannon maneuverability and
mobility.[15][16] European cannon reached their longer, lighter, more
accurate, and more efficient "classic form" around 1480. This classic
European cannon design stayed relatively consistent in form with minor
changes until the 1750s.[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartridge_%28firearms%29

Paper cartridges have been in use for nearly as long as hand-held
firearms, with a number of sources dating their use back to the late
14th century. Historians note their use by soldiers of Christian I in
1586,[not in citation given] while the Dresden Museum[which?] has
evidence dating their use to 1591, and Capo Bianco wrote in 1597 that
paper cartridges had long been in use by Neapolitan soldiers. Their
use became widespread by the 17th century.[3] The 1586 cartridge
consisted of a charge of powder and a bullet in a paper tube. Thick
paper is still known as "cartridge paper" from its use in these
cartridges.[4] Another source states the cartridge appeared in
1590.[5] King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden had his troops use
cartridges in the 1600s.[6] The paper was formed a cylinder with
twisted ends; the ball was at one end, and the measured powder filled
the rest.[7]

https://truewestmagazine.com/breech-loading-rifles/

Among the first breech-loading rifles was one invented by Major
Patrick Ferguson, an officer in Washington’s Revolutionary Army. It
was one of the first to be loaded at the breech and could be loaded
and fired six times in a minute. Ferguson, a Scotsman, demonstrated
the rifle that bore his name in June, 1776. Four years later he was
killed at the Battle of King’s Mountain in North Carolina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breech-loading_weapon

Although breech-loading firearms were developed as far back as the
late 14th century in Burgundy,[citation needed] breech-loading became
more successful with improvements in precision engineering and
machining in the 19th century (see Dreyse needle gun).

The main challenge for developers of breech-loading firearms was
sealing the breech. This was eventually solved for smaller firearms by
the development of the self-contained metallic cartridge. For firearms
too large to use cartridges, the problem was solved by the development
of the interrupted screw.
Swivel guns
Main article: Breech-loading swivel gun

Breech-loading swivel guns were invented in the 14th century. They
were a particular type of swivel gun, and consisted in a small
breech-loading cannon equipped with a swivel for easy rotation, and
which could be loaded by inserting a mug-shaped chamber already filled
with powder and projectiles. The breech-loading swivel gun had a high
rate of fire, and was especially effective in anti-personnel roles.
Firearms
Henry VIII breech loading hunting gun, 16th century. The breech block
rotates on the left on hinges, and is loaded with a reloadable iron
cartridge. Thought to have been used as a hunting gun to shoot birds.
The original wheellock mechanism is missing.
Breech-loading firearm that belonged to Philip V of Spain, made by A.
Tienza, Madrid circa 1715. It came with a ready-to-load reusable
cartridge. This is a miquelet system.
Mechanism of Philip V's breech-loading firearm (detail).
The breech mechanism of the Ferguson Rifle.

Breech-loading firearms are known from the 16th century. Henry VIII
possessed one, which he apparently used as a hunting gun to shoot
birds.[1]

More breech-loading firearms were made in the early 18th century. One
such gun known to have belonged to Philip V of Spain, and was
manufactured circa 1715, probably in Madrid. It came with a ready-to
load reusable cartridge.[2]
**********

Want me to continue?

Or are you simply going to ignore the data and continue to spew
bullshit?

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that
we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no
power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible
implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American.... [T]he
unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal
or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain,
in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette,
Feb. 20, 1788.

" Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are
the birthright of an American"

Gunner

Frank

Mar 17, 2018, 1:31:01 PM3/17/18
Some may print out your postings and use them.

pyotr filipivich

Mar 17, 2018, 2:38:53 PM3/17/18
Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com> on Sat, 17 Mar 2018 09:16:19 -0700
typed in alt.survival the following:
And the Forth only covers handwritten or hand printed papers. Not
email, telephone calls, or computer files.
--
pyotr filipivich

bookburn

Mar 17, 2018, 4:19:09 PM3/17/18
Looks like a pretty definitive lexicon of reasons behind Right to Bear Arms. Yet some will challenge the 2nd Amendment by claiming that modern circumstances apply now, that militia no longer defends against tyranny, weapons are too dangerous now in the hands of terrorists, "Can't we all just get along," etc..

raykeller

Mar 17, 2018, 5:27:05 PM3/17/18
o6...@XEs5e.com
> wrote:

snip

Gunner Asch

Mar 17, 2018, 11:34:13 PM3/17/18
My but you certainly explode in hate and rage when normal people cut
your props away and watch your argument fluttering down in
flames..like a downed helium balloon.

markalle...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2019, 9:39:26 PM10/16/19
Sue also likes her 45/70 Lever Action. Also good for Bear. The 454 Casull pistol is a monster too. Very good stopping power. Would Love to have some of her guns LOL.

Jade Helm

Oct 16, 2019, 10:57:21 PM10/16/19
On 10/16/19 7:39 PM, markalle...@gmail.com wrote:

In invisible ink.

--
"Those who fail to learn the lessons of history, usually end up against
the wall. It takes time, sometimes even 20 to 50 years but eventually a

www.globalgulag.us

Dim Witte

Oct 16, 2019, 11:53:26 PM10/16/19
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 18:39:24 -0700 (PDT), markalle...@gmail.com
wrote:

>Sue also likes her 45/70 Lever Action. Also good for Bear. The 454 Casull pistol is a monster too. Very good stopping power. Would Love to have some of her guns LOL.

Her gun collection, alone, suggests that she is a "tenderfoot,"
supported in her airport business by lots of money, paid workers,
relatives, but survival skills not so much.

Saw her pretending to have an airplane transport her to supposedly
hunt and fish on state land, as if the camera operator and probably
other "producers" were not there to protect her. Wasn't up to
locating game or fish, but the segment showed how she hauled out this
big pistol from a side holster and shot into ice on a river, to see
how thick the ice was. Shot with one hand, which is not handling
recoil efficiently either, even from a .375 or .44 magnum.

Other times are equally revealing of inept thinking, like when she is
supposedly hunting grouse with some lever-action gun, not the .22
Ruger semi-automatic which she has. Lets the fox have the grouse,
which is not a good survival skill, IMO. But she avoids getting
ticketed for feeding wild animals, plus she gets the attraction of the
fox in her TV series.

But then all the different locations in "Life Below Zero" obviously
put in the can prepared and dramatized incidents. I like the
scenarios with Chip and Agnes Hailstone and their children. Together
they have as many as eight children and at least four girls. Very
dramatic sub-plot in their story when Chip goes away to do time in
prison, and Agnes decides to hunt and fish for the family, as Chip
did. A neighbor who is from Noorvik, too, says the family will stay
in Noorvik with their expanding family, not move to Anchorage.

Dim Witte

Oct 20, 2019, 6:00:00 AM10/20/19
wrote:

>Sue also likes her 45/70 Lever Action. Also good for Bear. The 454 Casull pistol is a monster too. Very good stopping power. Would Love to have some of her guns LOL.

To some extent, the question of calibers is similar to that of having
the "all-around gun," which would be useful for all hunting
situations.

In Alaska, and I'm sure many parts of the world, the 30-'06 has been
the most popular. Common saying is that it's okay for all game in the
Americas, with the possible exception of the biggest brown bear.
Famous hunter in Africa even used it for elephant, I read. A special
factory loaded cartridge of only 40 gr. is low recoil and flat
shooting, okay for deer, etc..

My Alaska all-around gun was initially in .30 caliber, but in a
re-chambered .308 Norma magnum, which I had some reduced loads for.
That didn't work out because of its excessive recoil and noise, and,
well, it was stolen.

Next I picked up a used Browning BAR in .338 from a Kodiak guide, and
it was much better, surprisingly accurate; probably shouldn't have
sold it. AIR, it had a powerful 300 gr. for bear and a couple other
lighter loads for all else. Maybe too much for deer.

Now my all-around gun is a Ruger Alaskan Hawkeye in .375 Ruger, which
I have set up for hand-loading and just firing at the range. But it,
too, is over-kill, and I need to get rid of it. Can't justify expense
of customizing with a recoil and sound suppressor.

Sounds like I'm as bad as Sue on changing guns around. I'm sure
there's a reasonable way to go about choosing your one all-around gun.

Gunner Asch

Nov 3, 2019, 11:34:33 PM11/3/19
The 375 Ruger can be handloaded down quite nicely and even shot with
lead bullets. I carry and shoot a 375 H&H a fair amount..and Im only
plinking coyotes and wild pigs. Downloaded of course. Why do I do
it? Because I enjoy shooting it. I built it decades ago, when I was
working on the North Slope. Doesnt mean I have go get rid of it simply
because there are no grizz in my AO. Ive got 173 firearms...I dont
hunt with most of them either..and some are more potent than the 375.
Shrug

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

Dim Witte

Nov 4, 2019, 2:04:38 AM11/4/19
On Sun, 03 Nov 2019 20:31:46 -0800, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Okay, I did notice that the .375 Ruger has attracted interest in
Africa, where they have used extensive .375 H&H knowledge to swap
around bullets and handloads. One man has tried to unravel potential
of the 200 grain bullet for various game; another has developed a
combination recoil and sound suppressor, which he is marketing at
fairly low price, but using aluminum, etc..

I might have done better waiting for the Ruger Guide model in .375,
which is sold with a recoil suppressor on a short barrel.

About what is "potent," the saying is that it's all about bullet
placement and construction, not so much ballistics?

Gunner Asch

Nov 4, 2019, 2:36:28 PM11/4/19
There are some really really good recoil pads out there these days.
Even some very very good slip ons. Far better than the old orange/red
ones. Buy one and try it. And if worst comes to worst..buy a Lee
Loader, a hammer, a can of powder, a box of primers and some bullets.
Need cast bullets..let me know and Ill cast up some 220s for you and
send em to you gratis.

>About what is "potent," the saying is that it's all about bullet
>placement and construction, not so much ballistics?

Bell killed over 600 elephants using a 7x57 Mauser and FMJs..so
yeah..it can be true. But in his case..he only shot them in the
ear...and took his time lining up each shot. Most folks dont have the
skill..the ability nor the patience.

Shrug

Dim Witte

Nov 4, 2019, 9:23:30 PM11/4/19
On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 11:33:42 -0800, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
Appreciate the offer; I already have the reloading equipment and a
store of bullets I bought from a .375 H&H owner. I reloaded for the
200 gr. RN, the 235 spire point, and the 275 and 300 gr.. On the
discussion groups for a bit, it was recommended that I just use the
265 Nosler for everything. My load for the 200 gr. was with blue
shotgun powder, which made a "whomp" and was very low recoil, but
accuracy not there.

I went as far as to get a better quality Leupold scope on a QR mount,
plus a CRONY and 20 X binocs for testing out my reloads, but never
have fired factory ammo in the beast.

Note for other nimrods, like me: come time to unload it all, comes a
problem selling all at once, because it seems people just want to buy
the gun and maybe the scope, not your sling, case, ammo, reloading
equipment, and shooting range gear; and all of it is a chunk of change
by the time you get it in the mail to someone.

Another caveat I find is working with a right-hand bolt action that
you want to aim with a left dominant eye. Right hand wants to work
the bolt for second shot, but bolt comes back against left hand on
stock. Ouch! Solution seems to be getting stock customized a bit.

sturgil...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2019, 7:55:43 PM12/7/19
Alright if you that's what you think the second amendment is, this is what we will do, I will drop you off in the middle of the forest I'll give you nothing but a musket and see if you dont beg for a better gun.

Dim Witte

Dec 8, 2019, 2:35:25 AM12/8/19
On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 16:55:41 -0800 (PST), sturgil...@gmail.com
wrote:

>Alright if you that's what you think the second amendment is, this is what we will do, I will drop you off in the middle of the forest I'll give you nothing but a musket and see if you dont beg for a better gun.

My test for you is to identify who, in the 19th century, walked the
woods alone without a gun, without a compass, and went all the way
from New England to California. Or do you demur from being tested so?

Gunner Asch

Dec 8, 2019, 7:37:01 AM12/8/19
Ooooh! Well done Sir! Well done indeed!!

__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.

Reney Southard

Aug 3, 2023, 4:25:24 PM8/3/23
On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 1:37:01 PM UTC+1, Gunner Asch wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Dec 2019 22:35:23 -0900, Dim Witte <Wi...@clown.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 16:55:41 -0800 (PST), sturgil...@gmail.com
> >wrote:

BEST ARM SUPPLY UNIT
Gun And Armory is an online and retail dealer and distribution center. We specialize in furnishing quality arms and accessories to registered buyers. Best Arm Supply Unit Online.