How do I clean oil lamp globe?

Thomas

Oct 8, 2009, 5:04:54 PM10/8/09
I have 4 oil lamps, 2 different models. The globes after years of
service have a pale grey buildup on the inside. I have used regular
dish soap on a drinking glass sponge to no avail. Is there a household
cleaner that will take this grime off? I burn the UltraPure 99
parrafin oil and just bought KleanHeat which I will give a report on.

Thomas

Stormin Mormon

Oct 8, 2009, 5:37:50 PM10/8/09
The old timers used to use news paper. Dry. Crumple it up,
and rub it around. I have not tried it, don't know if this
works.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Thomas" <cano...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

book...@yahoo.com

Oct 8, 2009, 6:49:56 PM10/8/09
On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 14:04:54 -0700 (PDT), Thomas <cano...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I've found that soaking in vinegar several hours dissolves away lots
of stuff.

Jack G.

Oct 8, 2009, 7:29:09 PM10/8/09
On Oct 8, 3:49 pm, bookb...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 14:04:54 -0700 (PDT), Thomas <canope...@yahoo.com>

> wrote:
>
> >I have 4 oil lamps, 2 different models. The globes after years of
> >service have a pale grey buildup on the inside. I have used regular
> >dish soap on a drinking glass sponge to no avail. Is there a household
> >cleaner that will take this grime off? I burn the UltraPure 99
> >parrafin oil and just bought KleanHeat which I will give a report on.
>
> >Thomas
>
> I've found that soaking in vinegar several hours dissolves away lots
> of stuff.

Vinegar is good but try a windex type glass cleaning product with a
rough pad.

Jack G.

hal

Oct 8, 2009, 8:42:47 PM10/8/09
On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 14:04:54 -0700 (PDT), Thomas <cano...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Try a stove store and get some stove glass door cleaner.

>Thomas

None4U

Oct 8, 2009, 9:03:07 PM10/8/09

"Jack G." <jgra...@pioneernet.net> wrote in message

Jack G.

Diesel spewed.

Ive come to the conclusion that round wick lanterns burn oil. Flat wick oil
lanterns dont burn oil, but K1, kerosene .

Flat wick oil lanterns do not burn any oil. Correctly.

They burn Clear kerosene.

Ultrapure may be pure but its not for flat wick oil lanterns.

Its for round wick oil lamps.

Easy to remember. flat wick kero, round wick oil.

I learned it the hard way, but if you want cites i can get you 1 or possibly
2.

Stormin Mormon

Oct 8, 2009, 9:29:27 PM10/8/09
I've used a bunch of ultra pure in flat wick lanterns.
Worked fine for me, but I havn't gone through a lot of
galons of oil.

Tried paint thinner "mineral spirits". Dries out rapidly.
And one web site (Lehmans?) says it's dangerous, sometimes
when it heats up, the fire goes critical, and takes off like
Chernobyl on night shift.

Love to hear your experiences.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"None4U" <nos...@nospam.none> wrote in message

Frank Gilliland

Oct 8, 2009, 11:25:32 PM10/8/09
On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 14:04:54 -0700 (PDT), Thomas <cano...@yahoo.com>
wrote in
<d34a1009-7f57-41f2...@g3g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>:

The only thing I've found to get that stuff off is steel wool and
elbow grease.

Stormin Mormon

Oct 9, 2009, 8:44:05 AM10/9/09
Real survivalists share their wisdom about wick lamps, and
fuel types.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"None4U" <nos...@nospam.none> wrote in message

Ive come to the conclusion that round wick lanterns burn

Karsten Kruse

Oct 9, 2009, 1:17:47 PM10/9/09
Thomas schrieb:

> I have 4 oil lamps, 2 different models. The globes after years of
> service have a pale grey buildup on the inside. I have used regular
> dish soap on a drinking glass sponge to no avail. Is there a household
> cleaner that will take this grime off?

I used gasoline (fuel for a zippo to be exact) with good results, i
think one side of the globe was grey like yours, one was black and
sooty. I had to scrub hard tho.

Karsten

--
Basically we don't know what's going on, so we construct belief systems,
lack of evidence is ignored, contradicting facts are not processesd.

http://www.churchofreality.org

Thomas

Oct 12, 2009, 8:06:12 AM10/12/09
On Oct 8, 5:37 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

<cayoung61**spambloc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The old timers used to use news paper. Dry. Crumple it up,
> and rub it around. I have not tried it, don't know if  this
> works.

Nope. Did not work. At all.

Thomas

Oct 12, 2009, 8:06:42 AM10/12/09
On Oct 8, 6:49 pm, bookb...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I've found that soaking in vinegar several hours dissolves away lots
> of stuff.

Thomas

Oct 12, 2009, 8:07:10 AM10/12/09
On Oct 8, 7:29 pm, "Jack G." <jgran...@pioneernet.net> wrote:
> Vinegar is good but try a windex type glass cleaning product with a
> rough pad.
>
> Jack G.

Nope. Did not work. At all.

Thomas

Oct 12, 2009, 8:07:48 AM10/12/09
On Oct 8, 8:42 pm, hal wrote:
> Try a stove store and get some stove glass door cleaner.

Did not try but I want to assume this would be key.

Thomas

Oct 12, 2009, 8:09:04 AM10/12/09
On Oct 8, 9:03 pm, "None4U" <nos...@nospam.none> wrote:
> I learned it the hard way, but if you want cites i can get you 1 or possibly
> 2.

What exactly was the hard way? The oil I burn burns quite nicely in my
flat wick lamps.

Thomas

Oct 12, 2009, 8:09:43 AM10/12/09
On Oct 8, 11:25 pm, Frank Gilliland <wïrenut@NOSPAMïcehouse.net>
wrote:

> The only thing I've found to get that stuff off is steel wool and
> elbow grease.

Bingo. Thank you Frank.

Thomas

Oct 12, 2009, 8:10:28 AM10/12/09
On Oct 9, 1:17 pm, Karsten Kruse <tecn...@tecneeq.de> wrote:
> I used gasoline (fuel for a zippo to be exact) with good results, i
> think one side of the globe was grey like yours, one was black and
> sooty. I had to scrub hard tho.
>
> Karsten

I will try this next time...

Message has been deleted

Frank Gilliland

Oct 18, 2009, 10:45:47 PM10/18/09
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:07:08 -0700, Winston_Smith <not_...@bogus.net>
wrote in <gbend5pp59qqrm2pg...@4ax.com>:

>Karsten Kruse <tec...@tecneeq.de> wrote:
>
>>Thomas schrieb:
>>
>>> I have 4 oil lamps, 2 different models. The globes after years of
>>> service have a pale grey buildup on the inside. I have used regular
>>> dish soap on a drinking glass sponge to no avail. Is there a household
>>> cleaner that will take this grime off?
>>
>>I used gasoline (fuel for a zippo to be exact) with good results, i
>>think one side of the globe was grey like yours, one was black and
>>sooty. I had to scrub hard tho.
>>
>>Karsten
>

>Lighter fluid is naphtha; so is Coleman fluid.

Naphtha is a light petroleum distillate fraction. IOW, it's the part
of crude oil that boils within a specific range of temperatures, an
intermediate step between raw crude and final product. These products
include lighter fluid, Coleman fuel, paint thinner, etc.... but most
of it is turned into gasoline. Naphtha is -not- the same as the final
products (except maybe for some lighter fluids). The naphtha that you
can buy in cans at the hardware store is the unrefined distillate.

wmtom...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2020, 9:18:17 PM1/19/20
I know this is an old post, but Goof Off in the yellow can works well. Its normally used to remove old sticker adhesive, among other things..

tRudy Crayola

Jan 20, 2020, 1:07:28 AM1/20/20
On 1/19/2020 8:18 PM, wmtom...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, October 8, 2009 at 5:04:54 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
>> I have 4 oil lamps, 2 different models. The globes after years of
>> service have a pale grey buildup on the inside. I have used regular
>> dish soap on a drinking glass sponge to no avail. Is there a household
>> cleaner that will take this grime off? I burn the UltraPure 99
>> parrafin oil and just bought KleanHeat which I will give a report on.
>>
>> Thoma
>
> I know this is an old post, but Goof Off in the yellow can works well. Its normally used to remove old sticker adhesive, among other things..

Try Kerosene

--
Rudy's Nut & Fruit farm- Sacramento

Dim Witte

Jan 20, 2020, 1:50:34 AM1/20/20
I've had good luck removing supposedly permanent marks, like ball
point pen ink, using barbecue charcoal fire starter. Don't know why
it works, but just coating, letting soak in, then rubbing gets it
quickly off. Very common and inexpensive.