A Close Encounter of the alt.surfing Kind

rodndtube

Apr 14, 2010, 9:41:16 AM4/14/10
The A.S. Doc flew the coop, showing up in Charm City, hungry,
dehydrated and confused. Rod and Foon to the rescue! We quickly
sported him off to a local restaurant for a fill of crab cakes and
international suds, and recovery was set into motion. Back to Casa de
Rodgers for some story talking aided and facilitated via a tour of
Caribbean rums. Alas, we did not complete the tour during this
visit... guess the grand descent of AS going to the 4th Stall on the
Left continues :) In the early evening we drove down into the ghetto
of Baltimore for some Attman's kosher sandwiches, but they closed down
at 6:30pm. Bummer. So, we headed off to an old Balteeemore watering
hole and restaurant, Café Hon, for some more jibber jabber. He is now
in the care of Nurse Foon.

sully

Apr 14, 2010, 12:07:08 PM4/14/10

What side is he wearing his eye patch this trip?

careful when he starts swinging that hook around... :^)

doc

Apr 14, 2010, 9:42:57 PM4/14/10
On Apr 14, 12:07 pm, sully <s...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Apr 14, 6:41 am, rodndtube <rodndt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The A.S. Doc flew the coop, showing up in Charm City, hungry,
> > dehydrated and confused. ......

> What side is he wearing his eye patch this trip?
>
> careful when he starts swinging that hook around...  :^)

Both eyes. Lets just say it gives me more leeway.....

doc..... 'shiver me timbers' - Tom Waits

doc

Apr 17, 2010, 11:14:17 PM4/17/10
On Apr 14, 9:41 am, rodndtube <rodndt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The A.S. Doc flew the coop, showing up in Charm City, hungry,
> dehydrated and confused. .....

Not going in order of publication, just so I can avoid the m@rk
memorial award for answering one's own posts.

The confused is a general state of mind anyhow. In many ways a
comfort. Hungry and dehydrated were dealt with immediately.

A good time was had by all, and I will most definitely be back, with
more space in my itinerary next time I get to play John Beresford
Tipton.

As this IS alt.surfing, first ....it's about the food.

If you're in the Baltimore area, you get amazingly good crab cakes in
places that by rights should have only CentroAmerican/ South American
food. On the other hand, hotel crabcakes ain't up to snuff. On the
other other hand, hate to say it, but we do better oysters up here,
especially the ones (Nauset Marsh Selects) I grow. Life ain't fair,
have to bring a cooler next time too.

Yuengling ( sic) is available about everywhere, and that's the good
stuff from Pennsyltucky, not the stuff from the new brewery down
south. Crafty-type beers ain't everywhere, alas. Nor was Pacifico,
which another of our denizens introduced me to recently.

Rodrigo knows his rums, he do. Alas, lack of sleep previous forbade
the true appreciation of all of 'em. But then again, they won't stop
making 'em. As JB might recall, the Flors de Cana 7 year old amber is
a delight, prime stuff.

And the Beltway Boys are good and generous hosts. Interesting,
freewheeling and wide-ranging conversation, from power tools to AS
denizens present and past. Never fear, most of you came off well.
Those who didn't.....you had it coming. As this was also a kind of AS
Alternative Forms palooza, technical stuff got precedence and Spicoli-
like appelations were not to be heard.

And on that note, I am back to the grind tomorrow at 5 AM, so I deeply
need some sleep. Keep well, AS, we ain't dead yet.

doc....

Foon

Apr 19, 2010, 1:12:23 PM4/19/10
rodndtube says...

>. He is now in the care of Nurse Foon.

Not much caretaking necessary for doc. He travels light and requires very
little. Truly a low maintenance guest. Not like Rod who wants everything his way
from the rum to the correct kind of designer craft brew beers to the matching
hand and bath towels in the powder room to the triple ply scented pillow soft
bathroom tissue.

It had been a long day for Doc, up when the bat signal was spotted and
staggering through connecting flights in Boston at O Dark 30. Maryland did not
favor him with its best weather (cold and rainy) but that did afford us the
opportunity to let Doc sit a spell at Casa Rodgers for a rum taste palooza.
I'll give Rod this, he does have the good stuff but since I was the designated
driver I was insisting on only half shots of his splendid collection. There was
just one though that bit my tongue like a rattlesnake and hit my stomach like a
jigger of moonshine on steroids. My mouth tingled for quite awhile over that
'un.

I gave Doc the nocturnal quick and dirty tour of the Washington Beltway (he was
curious about the Mormon Temple in Wheaton) then packed him off to sleep in the
Foon family guest quarters. I set up a rudimentary blend of coffee in the brewer
and told him to have at it if he got up before me. Which he did and I never
heard him at all though the Foon Palace has very close quarters and thin walls.

This was my second encounter with Doc and as in the first he is a delight to
spend time with. His easy conversational attitude is all that more enhanced by
an encyclopedic knowledge of lots of stuff across a wide range of subjects. And
what he does not know about he had highly informed and astute opinions on most.
Especially, members of the ancient and withering cult called alt.surfing. I'd
post a pic but would ask his permission first.

doc

Apr 19, 2010, 8:45:11 PM4/19/10
On Apr 19, 1:12 pm, Foon <f...@removenewsguy.com> wrote:
>  rodndtube says...
>
> >. He is now in the care of Nurse Foon.
>
> Not much caretaking necessary for doc. He travels light and requires very
> little. Truly a low maintenance guest.

Oh crud, I can't let this go unanswered.

First off, the key word is 'guest'.... it's a matter of realising you
are one, intruding yourself into somebody else's life. When you live
in a tourist area, you wind up with a lot of those. A little freakin'
courtesy, y'know?

Next- when you've gone offshore, you learn to have your s#it together
and have it in one bag. Albeit sometimes a big bag, as when I
descended on Tony M like a plague of locusts a short while back.
Getting _that_ on the plane was a trip.

> Not like Rod who wants everything his way
> from the rum to the correct kind of designer craft brew beers to the matching
> hand and bath towels in the powder room to the triple ply scented pillow soft
> bathroom tissue.

Towels? You had towels?

More seriously, a man who shaves with a straight razor, well, he
learns that it's kinda 'air travel unfriendly' - Foon, remind me to
send my travel shaving kit to you via mail before the next one of
these.Shoulda seen me on the plane coming back: I have a three day
beard in a few hours, could have doubled for either Emmet Kelly or a
stylish Italian after a four day road trip.

> It had been a long day for Doc, up when the bat signal was spotted and
> staggering through connecting flights in Boston at O Dark 30.

And staggering is just the word. Fortunately, I got the last of the
John Beresford Tipton paperwork done enroute, as by the time I got
into the FoonMobile I was glazed.

> Maryland did not
> favor him with its best weather (cold and rainy) but that did afford us the
> opportunity to let Doc sit a spell at  Casa Rodgers for a rum taste palooza.

Well, a _partial_ rum taste palooza. I was on the edge of comatose
when I got there, but there's quick-acting calories in rum.

> I'll give Rod this, he does have the good stuff but since I was the designated
> driver I was insisting on only half shots of his splendid collection. There was
> just one though that bit my tongue like a rattlesnake and hit my stomach like a
> jigger of moonshine on steroids. My mouth tingled for quite awhile over that
> 'un.

Wayull, yeah. That one was kinda fierce, many of the French-colony
rums are for some reason. Memo #2, before the next one, several of my
smoother samples will have to go into the bag. Yep, becoming a wiener
in my old age.

> I gave Doc the nocturnal quick and dirty tour of the Washington Beltway (he was
> curious about the Mormon Temple in Wheaton)

Not to put too much of a point on it, but I think the followers of the
Angel Moroni are afraid the deity won't notice 'em when he, she or it
looks down, so they have this multi-towered bright white thing with
about half the bright lights north of Disney World pointed at it.

> then packed him off to sleep in the
> Foon family guest quarters. I set up a rudimentary blend of coffee in the brewer
> and told him to have at it if he got up before me. Which he did and I never
> heard him at all though the Foon Palace has very close quarters and thin walls.

Ah- now, that's a skill perfected by many times sneaking out in the
early-early, before things get ugly or domestic.

> This was my second encounter with Doc and as in the first he is a delight to
> spend time with. His easy conversational attitude

(read as 'horrible diction')

> is all that more enhanced by
> an encyclopedic knowledge of lots of stuff across a wide range of subjects.

(read as 'he's picked up a lot of stuff due to being unable to hold a
steady job')

> And
> what he does not know about he had highly informed and astute opinions on most.

(put emphasis on 'what he does not know about' - which is just about
everything. And you know what they say about the things everyone has
in addition to opinions )

> Especially,  members of the ancient and withering cult called alt.surfing.  I'd
> post a pic but would ask his permission first.

Heh- that in turn would corroborate the 'old and withering', but by
all means.

But seriously now, folks - it was a good trip and fine hosts and
companions.

Thanks again

doc...

Foon

Apr 19, 2010, 10:21:52 PM4/19/10
doc says...

>Heh- that in turn would corroborate the 'old and withering', but by
>all means.

Checking his email to see if his Mary K cosmetics order had been delivered.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/New%20Sandbox/DSC_0003_2.jpg

Looking good for an old clammer.

-Foon

doc

Apr 20, 2010, 7:00:49 AM4/20/10
On Apr 19, 10:21 pm, Foon <f...@removenewsguy.com> wrote:
>  doc says...
>
> >Heh- that in turn would corroborate the 'old and withering', but by
> >all means.
>
> Checking his email to see if his Mary K cosmetics order had been delivered.
>
> http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/New%20Sandbox/DSC_0003_...

> Looking good for an old clammer.
>
> -Foon

Cah-rist, up from the wreck I rise - I look like somebody's old beat
up seagoing uncle - which, come to think of it, I am. Dented skull,
busted nose, non-tribal scars.

Mary K prolly wouldn't put a dent in the looks of that moosh, though.
But, by coincidence, PBS has been running something that might show
promise for it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dd18c

doc...

rodndtube

Apr 20, 2010, 11:44:20 AM4/20/10
On Apr 19, 1:12 pm, Foon <f...@removenewsguy.com> wrote:
>  rodndtube says...

> opportunity to let Doc sit a spell at  Casa Rodgers for a rum taste palooza. I'll give Rod this, he does have the good stuff but since I was the designated driver I was insisting on only half shots of his splendid collection. There was just one though that bit my tongue like a rattlesnake and hit my stomach like a jigger of moonshine on steroids. My mouth tingled for quite awhile over that 'un.

Lol, that was some of the Costa Rican rum, which like their coffee,
really doesn't touch the good Puerto Rican stuff. Sorry we never made
it to the Haitian varieties -- good stuff that is. We'll also sample a
few Hungarian pálinkas, one which will clear out your colon and make
you cry for yer wifey and the other much smoother. Both are best
before breakfast or after dinner ;)