Vintage surfboard value & history?

ReptileHealer

Feb 5, 2003, 1:32:29 PM2/5/03
Hey folks, I have an old surfboard that I'm trying to find some history on and
curious of the value as well. It's a Hobie "Deadly Flying Glove" Corky Carroll
Model. My dad bought it new in 1970 or so. It has dings and stuff in it. But
nothing that isn't fixable I don't think. All the original graphics are there
and look decent. There's one on ebay right now, but it doesn't look quite the
same as mind. The one on ebay is a different color with the graphics laid out
in different positions than mine and it only has one fin. Obviously, I don't
know much about surfboards! In any case, I'm looking for some history on this
board. And the reason that I'm curious about the value is not so that I can
sell it. But to see if it is worth repairing. I'll never use it, but I'll
always keep it around for sentimental reasons. Any info that anyone can provide
would be great.
Thanks in advance :-)

XPEH

Feb 5, 2003, 6:53:13 PM2/5/03
evaluate on ebay my man

"ReptileHealer" <reptil...@aol.com> wrote in message

goofy

Feb 5, 2003, 9:23:46 PM2/5/03
reptil...@aol.com (ReptileHealer) wrote in message

> always keep it around for sentimental reasons. Any info would be great.

The "Flying Glove" Corky Carrol Signature Model is truly a valuble
item as it is a Harold Walker foam, glassed by Ronald Patterson You
are very fortunate to have it. Another thing, very important, is Danny
Brauner of the Endless Summer film was instremental in processing the
sale. There's an old surfing saying: One God, One Country, One Rib
Trader, and One Fin. You, my freind, have a very expesive piece of
foam and fibreglass. How expensive maybe close to $15,000.00. Don't
listen to any of these snakes in the grass.

blackie

ReptileHealer

Feb 5, 2003, 10:19:14 PM2/5/03
$15,000 eh? Stroke me a check for $10k and it's all yours! I take Pay Pal! Heh
heh Seriously though, I wouldn't sell it at any price. I'm just trying to
figure out if it's worth having work done to or if I should just leave it as is
and hang it on the wall.

XPEH

Feb 5, 2003, 10:19:30 PM2/5/03
hang it from own ankles and hang self from crossbeam

"ReptileHealer" <reptil...@aol.com> wrote in message

The Supreme Court

Feb 8, 2003, 6:25:28 PM2/8/03
>From: reptil...@aol.com (ReptileHealer)

> Seriously though, I wouldn't sell it at any price.

Kidding? 15k could buy you a lot of weed there in DC - you could sit on your
ass for hours on end while contemplating absolutely nothing.

"Pain is the sensation of weakness leaving the body"

Kevin Strong

Nov 25, 2023, 7:18:56 AM11/25/23
Is your board red white and blue with USA on the bottom? I owned the deadly flying glove that Corky Carroll used
in the Puerto Rican contest in the late 60's. There is still a picture of me holding it in my backyard. It hangs on my 92 year old mothers wall
in Phoenix. Wish I still had that board...Bought it for 75 bucks and sold it for 55 bucks to my neighbor. It was 7'8" and I bought a 6'5" boxtail Greek
surfboard new for 85.00 in 1969. The Greek board was a POS - the Hobie was great in almost all conditions. Dumb move on my part.