Surf movie review: FLUID COMBUSTION

Tony Austin

Jul 20, 1994, 2:34:44 PM7/20/94

Surf Movie Review: FLUID COMBUSTION

Produced, Photography, Directing by: Larry Haynes and Derek Hoffmann

Music: Lucy's fur coat, Off Spring, Pennywise, No FX, Poynt Blank, Tree,
RKL, Rancid, Bad Religion, Down By Law, Joyride, Tom Curren's Ocean Aces.

Length: 50 minutes

FLUID COMBUSTION is kinetic and in your face. It has the best surf
photography I have ever seen on a home video or in a theater. Plenty of tube
viewpoints and best of all some of the surfers were followed from behind so
you can see them work the wave down the line. I also like that the producers
included a couple female surfers in those down the line shots. It was
refreshing to see.

The music is mostly "speed metal" but the band that impressed me the most was
Tom Curren's. His band is the only contemporary band I know that can make
vocals work with surf music.

The wipeout sequence was the most brutal I have ever seen. It certainly
wasn't entertaining. It made me cringe and writhe. Well, that is except for
one wipeout. This guy was on a long board and he thought he'd walk the
nose. What he did do was walk completely off the front end on a double
overhead wave.

There is a snowboard sequence which flattened the movie for me somewhat. It
never regained the same momentum it had after that.

This is not the best surf movie I have ever seen. My two favorites remain:
THE SEARCH II and BEYOND BLAZING BOARDS. However this movie has the best
surf photography and inside the tube shots of any movie I have seen. Make
this my number "3" surf movie of all time.

Tony Austin

"Has your life ever really changed under any particular President?"