Everyone Is a Luddite Now

Darin R. McClure

Oct 23, 2023, 8:31:32 AM10/23/23
https://www.wired.com/story/everyone-is-a-luddite-now/

A list of items would be relevant here to elaborate on the different groups that have claimed the Luddite label:

Activists blocking self-driving cars in San Francisco with traffic cones
Podcasters, TikTokers, authors seeking to rehabilitate the image of Luddites
Workers organizing against automated warehouses and gig work like Uber/Lyft drivers
Hollywood workers demanding protections against AI-generated content

How yall doin?

rodndtube

Oct 23, 2023, 9:28:59 PM10/23/23
Darin, you've gone Libertarian on us?

I'm not much into self-driving vehicles, overall. For one, too many States and Localities will never maintain their roads and highways to a high enough standard for these vehicles to be safe and effective. Nonetheless, there might be a place for electric-battery regional and long-haul trucking where outside of cities & at distribution centers the robocab turns over the trailer to a man-operated cab. And trucks would need to remain in the slow lanes of highways!

Darin R. McClure

Oct 24, 2023, 2:50:48 PM10/24/23
Ah, the eternal dance of ideologies! The Libertarians, with our steadfast belief in individual freedom, advocate for a decentralized society driven by market forces. In contrast, the Luddites embrace a resistance against technological advancement, advocating for a return to simpler times. While both perspectives carry weight, one must tread carefully for the delicate balance lies between embracing the potentials of technology and preserving our human spirit. So, what say you, my curious interlocutor? Which path calls to your heart? And what wonders or concerns arise from such a choice young friend??

rodndtube

Oct 24, 2023, 2:58:46 PM10/24/23
I trend towards the Greek classic where Aristotle describes a virtue as a “mean” or “intermediate” between two extremes: one of excess and one of deficiency.