CB Surfboards

SurffOhio

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
There's a brand of boards out of NSB called CB surfboards. It was started by
Charlie Baldwin who owns Inlet Charlies.

Has anyone had one of these boards? What did you think? Does Charlie Baldwin do
any of the shaping, or is he too busy traveling?

Surff

AnkleSlop

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99

>There's a brand of boards out of NSB called CB surfboards. It was started by
>Charlie Baldwin who owns Inlet Charlies.
>
>Has anyone had one of these boards? What did you think?

I remember in high school the cool sticks were "Team CB" Alas, I wasn't on the
team, I had a Tabeling.
Ankleslop

"He does seem to have kook-like qualities."
Gamivia Duke, Costa Rica 1995

Gamivia

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
>From: surf...@aol.com (SurffOhio)

>. It was started by
>Charlie Baldwin who owns Inlet Charlies.

>Has anyone had one of these boards?

E-gads! The memories!

I had my share of CB's. I'm sure he is still shaping. I've got an old picture
of a CB I had. 5'8" Twin Fin Swallow tail. Yikes! I wish I had that thing now.
It just might be fun.

I'll post a picture of it on asl and abpso.

Gamivia Duke, Esq.
Los Angeles Kelp Patrol

"APE SHALL NOT KILL APE"

egosurf

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
SurffOhio wrote:

> There's a brand of boards out of NSB called CB surfboards. It was started by

> Charlie Baldwin who owns Inlet Charlies.
>

> Has anyone had one of these boards? What did you think? Does Charlie Baldwin do
> any of the shaping, or is he too busy traveling?

surff, time to try team Quiet Flight. our main contact is cary, who i
understand has moved from the NSB store to the big store down around melbourne. he
shapes, he listens, and is a very cool and conscientious (sp) individual.

once you go Flight, you will feel right. i am thinking it is time for an ~ 8'
funboard for you. don't delay, do it today, before your knees completely fail you.

sincerely,
egosurf

" now put down that riverboard and go surfing " !

SHINE

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99

>Has anyone had one of these boards? What did you think?

Got a New CB 6'4" around '92. Very fast board - mostly a compitition
style shape -- narrow w/ reverse concave in the trail. I loved it.
Glass job was only ok. I still see new ones in the shops around town.

Scott

egosurf

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
welcome shine, to our new florida posse. that's like 4 this week if you
count the japanese dude, tataki.

do you have a riverboard ?

SurffOhio

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
Egosurf wrote:

>surff, time to try team Quiet Flight. our main contact is cary, who i
>understand has moved from the NSB store to the big store down around
>melbourne. he
>shapes, he listens, and is a very cool and conscientious (sp) individual.

Quiet Flight did a nice remodel job on their store in NSB. I bought some stuff
there for the wife. Inlet Charlies has been my favorite, though, but that's
mostly from having a few brews with them after hours. :-)

I have this idea that Quiet Flight may be able to handle what I want better.
There seems to be some "soul" in their surfboard making.
A shaper told me once that it's best to buy your board from the area you are
going to be surfing in. I was lead to believe that Floridian shapers come up
with boards more compatable for the east coast than a west coast shaper would.
For instance, instead of buying a Stewart board to use in Florida, it would be
better to buy one from a Florida shaper.

Any comments? Maybe this goes back to the craftsmanship thing?

Surff

Gamivia

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
>From: surf...@aol.com (SurffOhio)

>Quiet Flight did a nice remodel job on their store in NSB.

If you think Quiet Flight did a good job re-modeling you should see what Inlet
Charlies USED to look like. Xtra Small, cement floors, the works. Now it looks
like a mini-Ron Jons. It even has an upstairs!

egosurf

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
SurffOhio wrote:

> Egosurf wrote:
> Quiet Flight did a nice remodel job on their store in NSB.

spent a lot of money, but imo, wasted a LOT of space with the vaulted ceilings
and everything, and prolly keep about half as many used stick as they used to.

> I have this idea that Quiet Flight may be able to handle what I want better.
> There seems to be some "soul" in their surfboard making.

i believe this to be true. their shapes work. i think cb's are more
predominant in high preformance shortboards, and QF does all that, plus a great
line of stingfish funshapes and funguns that are continually evolving. good
longboards too. i think i am going to get my first 9' er this spring for those "
light days ".

> A shaper told me once that it's best to buy your board from the area you are
> going to be surfing in.

*definately*

> I was lead to believe that Floridian shapers come up
> with boards more compatable for the east coast than a west coast shaper would.
> For instance, instead of buying a Stewart board to use in Florida, it would be
> better to buy one from a Florida shaper.

jimmy buffet would disagree, but i've never seen him in the lineup at NSB
:> that's exactly why i never bought a rusty, channel islands or hic when i was
a young ripper. the ones that were shaped elsewhere just looked too stiff for our
waves.

> any comments? Maybe this goes back to the craftsmanship thing?

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHAPER !

> Surff

ego

SurffOhio

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
Gamivia wrote:

>If you think Quiet Flight did a good job re-modeling you should see what
>Inlet
>Charlies USED to look like. Xtra Small, cement floors, the works. Now it
>looks
>like a mini-Ron Jons. It even has an upstairs!

Since surf shops are being discussed here, I feel that I must put a plug in for
my buddy Chuck's surf shop a block down the street in NSB. It's Nichols Surf
Shop. He has the bikes out front. If you ever have a chance, stop in. Check
this guy's knowlege on Florida surfing, shaping and surfing in general. It's
vast.

BTW, has anyone ever heard of Steve Anest? I think he makes boards now. He used
to work at Red Dog.

Surff

Gamivia

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
>From: surf...@aol.com (SurffOhio)

>BTW, has anyone ever heard of Steve Anest? I think he makes boards now.

Saw him surfing last time I was there. He still rips.

Check this: http://home.earthlink.net/~goodwaves/

John Ferguson

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
>Saw him surfing last time I was there. He still rips.
>
>Check this: http://home.earthlink.net/~goodwaves/

Never saw that report before, I'll add it to my list.

Thanks,

John.

BMi3301814

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
>wasted a LOT of space with the vaulted ceilings

Cary is the man at QF-New Smyra. I think QF has done a great job for a small
town that already was saturated w/ surf shops. The vaulted ceiling allow for
2nd floor when they go to expand. I think it has been nice to see a shop come
to town that has gotten everyone on their toes.

m@r|<©

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
Gamivia) wrote:

> >From: surf...@aol.com (SurffOhio)
>
> >BTW, has anyone ever heard of Steve Anest? I think he makes boards now.
>

> Saw him surfing last time I was there. He still rips.
>
> Check this: http://home.earthlink.net/~goodwaves/

Well I'lllll be, there's my answer.
Thanx G

--
L8tr,
m@r|<©

m@r|<©

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
SurffOhio wrote:

> Egosurf wrote:
>
> >surff, time to try team Quiet Flight. our main contact is cary, who i
> >understand has moved from the NSB store to the big store down around
> >melbourne. he
> >shapes, he listens, and is a very cool and conscientious (sp) individual.
>
> Quiet Flight did a nice remodel job on their store in NSB. I bought some stuff
> there for the wife. Inlet Charlies has been my favorite, though, but that's
> mostly from having a few brews with them after hours. :-)
>

> I have this idea that Quiet Flight may be able to handle what I want better.
> There seems to be some "soul" in their surfboard making.

> A shaper told me once that it's best to buy your board from the area you are

> going to be surfing in. I was lead to believe that Floridian shapers come up

> with boards more compatable for the east coast than a west coast shaper would.
> For instance, instead of buying a Stewart board to use in Florida, it would be
> better to buy one from a Florida shaper.
>

> Any comments? Maybe this goes back to the craftsmanship thing?

Hmmm, I think it's all relative to the shaper;

although I support the "smaller potatoes" surf shaper/board companies,
I have gotten unreal boards shaped from other places too.
Even though I would somewhat agree about getting a board
shaped from the region you are surfing is a good theory,
I have had that proven wrong to me too.
When I used to compete in the ESA, I had some sponsors,
one of those sponsors was HIC surfboards, specifically, shaper Gabe Garduque
was the one I ended up having a board sponsor through instead
of HIC (Gabe shaped on his own). I would spend about a half hour on the
phone with Gabe talkin board design and what I needed.
Since he was experienced enough to ask me personal questions
about my weight / height / how I surf / how I'd like to surf /
my strong points / my weak points / what type of waves I wanted the
board for...etc,
I ended up getting a board perfectly tailored for my situation...
and it rode like a dream. It was everything I expected out of it.

And to think, it was a board shaped by a
Hawaiian, in Hawaii, for New Jersey waves!

m@r|<©

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
SurffOhio wrote:

> BTW, has anyone ever heard of Steve Anest? I think he makes boards now.

He used
> to work at Red Dog.

I always wondered what happened to that tall lanky red headed ripper.
Is he still chargin it or what?
Steve Anest... where you at dude?

John Ferguson

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99

>> For instance, instead of buying a Stewart board to use in Florida, it
would be
>> better to buy one from a Florida shaper.

I have a Stewart fun-gun that I ride in Florida. I love it, esp in thick
stuff.

I also have a board called "Balistics" which is made locally. I love it
too. It's been to 3 different countries. I ride it the most and now it's
worn out, so I ordered another one just like it but thinner. It's a
longboard, and one of the few "aggresive" longboards I've seen from local
shapers. Most of them are fat and lazy, like the people they are shaped
for.

I have a Quiet Flight fish too, which I need to ride more in good conditions
to form an opinion on. It's hard to go from a longboard to a fish, but
sometimes it's worth it.

I used to surf for a local company called Inner Vision. The owner, John
Adair, skipped town with a lot of unpaid bills. Too bad, he made some good
boards.

John Ferguson

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99

>Hey, it looks like NSB is goin off! Better get over there, John.

What? and risk another speeding ticket?

Foon might hit it, he's very close...

SurffOhio

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99

John F. wrote:

>Never saw that report before, I'll add it to my list.
>
>Thanks,

Hey, it looks like NSB is goin off! Better get over there, John.

Surff

hsilio

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
John Ferguson wrote:

> >Hey, it looks like NSB is goin off! Better get over there, John.
> >

> What? and risk another speeding ticket?
>
> Foon might hit it, he's very close...
Hey weren,t the floridian alt surfers getting in on a session this
weekend?
herb

Bud

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
"m@r|<Š" wrote:

> one of those sponsors was HIC surfboards, specifically, shaper Gabe Garduque
> was the one I ended up having a board sponsor through instead
> of HIC (Gabe shaped on his own).

as a teenage HIC team rider back around 1980, Gabe helped me get a stock-boy job at
the HIC store at Ala Moana Center. he shaped boards, and was one of the managers of
the store.
he has recently moved over to the T&C label. he's good people.

> I would spend about a half hour on the
> phone with Gabe talkin board design and what I needed.
> Since he was experienced enough to ask me personal questions
> about my weight / height / how I surf / how I'd like to surf /
> my strong points / my weak points / what type of waves I wanted the
> board for...etc,
> I ended up getting a board perfectly tailored for my situation...
> and it rode like a dream. It was everything I expected out of it.

i'll mention that to him, he'll be stoked i'm sure.

'loha,

bud

m@r|<

Mar 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/13/99
Bud wrote:

> "m@r|<Š" wrote:
>
> > one of those sponsors was HIC surfboards, specifically, shaper Gabe
Garduque
> > was the one I ended up having a board sponsor through instead
> > of HIC (Gabe shaped on his own).
>
> as a teenage HIC team rider back around 1980, Gabe helped me get a
stock-boy job at
> the HIC store at Ala Moana Center. he shaped boards, and was one of the
managers of
> the store.
> he has recently moved over to the T&C label. he's good people.

Sweet! That musta been a kick ass job dude.
Work at a surf co. store on the south shore? Mannn!
T&C huh? Cool. Yeah he's seems like WAY good people.

> > I would spend about a half hour on the
> > phone with Gabe talkin board design and what I needed.
> > Since he was experienced enough to ask me personal questions
> > about my weight / height / how I surf / how I'd like to surf /
> > my strong points / my weak points / what type of waves I wanted the
> > board for...etc,
> > I ended up getting a board perfectly tailored for my situation...
> > and it rode like a dream. It was everything I expected out of it.
>
> i'll mention that to him, he'll be stoked i'm sure.

Please do. Those couple of boards I had have been some of my best.
I'd like him to know that. I'd be into getting some of his boards again.
I can get them through the surf shop I used to surf for...
tell'm mark from Spellbinders (this was somewhere around 1990-93)
says hello, Jud Krosney was the other guy sponsored by Gabe with me
through Spellbinders at that time in case his name helps ring a bell.

--
L8tr, m@r|<
Proud Member, The Church of Surfing since 1983

printed on 100% recycled electrons

http://www.monmouth.com/user_pages/fishskates/eltempage.html

JPAltes

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
Steve Anest is shaping boards out of Randy Richenburgs factory in NSB. I
believe. He was last time I was there anyways.

Pat Altes
(one time EC surf photographer)

brandiss...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2019, 1:39:19 PM7/11/19
On Wednesday, March 10, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Surff wrote:
> There's a brand of boards out of NSB called CB surfboards. It was started by
> Charlie Baldwin who owns Inlet Charlies.
>
> Has anyone had one of these boards? What did you think? Does Charlie Baldwin do
> any of the shaping, or is he too busy traveling?
>
> Surff

He lives in New Smyrna and is a local realtor. Awesome guy

rodndtube

Jul 12, 2019, 7:03:16 PM7/12/19
I used to ride Austin boards.

Mike Lucas

Oct 25, 2022, 8:34:45 AM10/25/22
On Wednesday, March 10, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Surff wrote:
> There's a brand of boards out of NSB called CB surfboards. It was started by
> Charlie Baldwin who owns Inlet Charlies.
> Has anyone had one of these boards? What did you think? Does Charlie Baldwin do
> any of the shaping, or is he too busy traveling?
> Surff
This is very old thread, but very glad to help out. I meet Charlies back in 2000 when he still had his shop in NSB and i can confierm he still hand made his boards. I sat down with him, and designed my long board ,and it came out great. I wish i still had it today. I know at the time he talked about getting out of it. We wanted to pursue real estate... Is a legend.....