CA Locoism in OR

Tauras

Jan 14, 2001, 5:49:45 PM1/14/01
Back about 10 years ago I was drifting in OR on safari with friends,
exploring new spots mostly surfsailing the spring winds but checked out a
rather famous left point break in N central OR. Just as we pulled up we saw
an old California friend who transplanted there about a dozen years ago park
ahead of us in the typical OR rusted out station wagon, suited up quick then
jump off the cobble stones and dodged the 4-6' waves out to the channel. We
decided to watch as skies looked like rain/wind any minute. Sure enough the
rain started in about 5 but didn't affect shape just our spirits which
tended towards mischief so we waxed our buddies windows with anti CA slogans
and put rocks in his hubcaps and left. We still laugh about it.

Huge WNW gswell developing for Friday AM delivery, 22+ sec at 15-18'+ could
go larger and could be the best gswell of the season. best size and best N
of Pt. Conception into OR, looking to be offshore viento for the show S of
sanfran, enjoy!

Tauras
www.slonet.org/~tsulaiti/surfreport/

orego...@my-deja.com

Jan 14, 2001, 9:46:04 PM1/14/01
In article <R%p86.12$xq2....@news.callamer.com>,

"Tauras" <tsul...@slonet.org> wrote:
> Back about 10 years ago I was drifting in OR on safari with friends,
> exploring new spots mostly surfsailing the spring winds but checked
out a
> rather famous left point break in N central OR. Just as we pulled up
we saw
> an old California friend who transplanted there about a dozen years
ago park
> ahead of us in the typical OR rusted out station wagon, suited up
quick then
> jump off the cobble stones and dodged the 4-6' waves out to the
channel. We
> decided to watch as skies looked like rain/wind any minute. Sure
enough the
> rain started in about 5 but didn't affect shape just our spirits which
> tended towards mischief so we waxed our buddies windows with anti CA
slogans
> and put rocks in his hubcaps and left. We still laugh about it.

The point locals are ruthless. I heard they put a few dead salmon into
the walls of this one guy's brand spanking new house because he made
mention of why he had moved to that stretch of Oregon. I am sure your
buddy was fairly unfazed by the wax and rocks. Either that or he became
extra cautious in mentioning where he surfed.

O-Dog

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Timothy B. Maddux

Jan 15, 2001, 1:18:22 AM1/15/01
In article <R%p86.12$xq2....@news.callamer.com>,
Tauras <tsul...@slonet.org> wrote:
>Huge WNW gswell developing for Friday AM delivery...

Schweet! Nice story as well. Stables/Pipes today,
from about noon to midafternoon was a lot of fun,
well overhead to overhead and a half on the sets and
building. A kayak contest out towards the rivermouth
but I surfed with the yakkers and had no problems.
More detailed report later...

--
.-``'. Tim Maddux, Ocean Engineering Lab, UCSB
.` .`~ http://www.me.ucsb.edu/~tbmaddux/

Tauras

Jan 15, 2001, 1:14:17 PM1/15/01
Looks like the 22-24+ sec stuff will be here Thursday, classic storm
deepening today in C. Pacific. Will start 280 then drift to290 into Friday.
Still looking offshorish S of conception but some troughiness N of Bay Area
as our current settling upper H will drift E out of the basin. Our current
WNW gswell just had too much NW windbump, but it did break up the walls.
Enjoy the Sine!

Tauras
www.slonet.org/~tsulaiti/surfreport/

"Timothy B. Maddux" <tbma...@flow.engr.ucsb.edu> wrote in message

Tauras

Jan 15, 2001, 1:21:48 PM1/15/01
Looks like the 22-24+ sec stuff will be here Thursday, classic storm
deepening today in C. Pacific. Will start 275-285 then drift to290 into
Friday, looking ricker if models bear out, freaking 950 WOW. Will pound into
saturday PM as our weather sifts back to progressive onshore flow.

Still looking offshorish S of conception but some devloping troughiness N of
Bay Area
as our current settling upper H will drift E out of the basin into Friday.
Our current
medium WNW gswell just had too much NW windbump/junk, but it did break up

the walls.
Enjoy the Sine!

Tauras
www.slonet.org/~tsulaiti/surfreport/

bruce bowser

Oct 20, 2022, 1:43:55 PM10/20/22
> Re: CA Locoism in OR

I've never heard of the term: Locoism.

Locoism (noun)
lo·​co·​ism | \ ˈlō-(ˌ)kō-ˌi-zəm \
Definition of locoism
: a disease usually of horses, cattle, and sheep that is caused by chronic poisoning with locoweeds
First Known Use of locoism
1900, in the meaning defined above

Merriam Webster
-- https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/locoism