vasectomy to CURE epididymitis

David

Mar 31, 2002, 6:06:21 AM3/31/02

I found this interesting article and thought it worth sharing.

Epididymitis has been discussed before here - usually with the pvp context.
It's not a disease that is exclusive to vasectomy, indeed its equally common
in all men from puberty onwards - vasectomised or not. The "Safety and
effectiveness" document we sometimes refer to makes the recommendation that
research needs to be done to categorise the risks better than they currently
are, in that if a vasectomised man has epidiymitis, is it because of the
vasectomy or all the usual causes?

The article below makes the point that in some patients, vasectomy is
performed as a cure for epidiymitis:- "Bilateral vasectomy is usually
performed on men who have chronic
epididymitis or on elderly patients undergoing prostate surgery."

Epididymitis
Author/s: Maureen Haggerty

Definition
Epididymitis is inflammation or infection of the epididymis. In this long
coiled tube attached to the upper part of each testicle, sperm mature and
are stored before ejaculation.

Description
Epididymitis is the most common cause of pain in the scrotum. The acute form
is usually associated with the most severe pain and swelling. If symptoms
last for more than six weeks after treatment begins, the condition is
considered chronic.

Epididymitis can occur any time after the onset of puberty but is most
common between the ages of 18 and 40. It is especially common among members
of the military who exercise for extended periods without emptying their
bladders.

Factors that increase the risk of developing epididymitis include:

Infection of the bladder, kidney, prostate, or urinary tract
Other recent illness
Narrowing of the urethra (the tube that drains urine from the bladder)
Use of a urethral catheter.
Causes & symptoms
Although epididymitis can be caused by the same organisms that cause some
sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) or occur after prostate surgery, the
condition is generally due to pus-generating bacteria associated with
infections in other parts of the body.

Epididymitis can also be caused by injury or infection of the scrotum or by
irritation from urine that has accumulated in the vas deferens (the duct
through which sperm travels after leaving the epididymis).

Epididymitis is characterized by sudden redness and swelling of the scrotum.
The affected testicle is hard and sore, and the other testicle may feel
tender. The patient has chills and fever and usually has acute urethritis
(inflammation of the urethra).

Enlarged lymph nodes in the groin cause scrotal pain that intensifies
throughout the day and may become so severe that walking normally becomes
impossible.

Diagnosis
Laboratory tests used to diagnose epididymitis include:

Urinalysis and urine culture
Examination of discharges from the urethra and prostate gland
Blood tests to measure white-cell counts.
Treatment
Because epididymitis that affects both testicles can make a man sterile,
antibiotic therapy must be initiated as soon as symptoms appear. To prevent
reinfection, medication must be taken exactly as prescribed, even if the
patient's symptoms disappear or he begins to feel better. Over-the-counter
anti-inflammatories can relieve pain but should not be used without the
approval of a family physician or urologist.

Bed rest is recommended until symptoms subside, and patients are advised to
wear athletic supporters when they resume normal activities. If pain is
severe, a local anesthetic like lidocaine (Xylocaine) may be injected
directly into the spermatic cord.

Self-care
A patient who has epididymitis should not drink beverages that contain
caffeine. To prevent constipation, he should use stool softeners or eat
plenty of fruit, nuts, whole grain cereals, and other foods with laxative
properties.

An ice bag wrapped in a towel can reduce pain and swelling but should be
removed from the inflamed area for a few minutes every hour to prevent
burns.

Strenuous activity should be avoided until symptoms disappear. Sexual
activity should not be resumed until a month after symptoms disappear.

If a second course of treatment doesn't eradicate stubborn symptoms,
longterm anti-inflammatory therapy may be recommended. In rare instances,
chronic symptoms require surgery.

Surgery
Each of the surgical procedures used to treat epididymitis is performed
under local anesthesia on an outpatient basis. Both of them cause sterility.

Epididymectomy involves removing the inflamed section of the epididymitis
through a small incision in the scrotum.

Bilateral vasectomy prevents fluid and sperm from passing through the
epididymis. This procedure is usually performed on men who have chronic
epididymitis or on elderly patients undergoing prostate surgery.

Prognosis
Pain generally subsides 24-72 hours after treatment begins. Complete healing
may take weeks or months.

Prevention
Using condoms and not having sex with anyone who has an STD can prevent some
cases of epididymitis.

Further Reading
For Your Information
Books
Shaw, Michael, ed. Everything You Need to Know About Diseases. Springhouse,
PA: Springhouse Corporation, 1996.
Other
"Epididymitis." http://www.duj.com/epididymitis.html. (7 June 1998).
"Epididymitis."
http://www.thriveonline.com/health/Library/illsymp/illness203.html. (6 June
1998).

Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine. Gale Research, 1999.

this article can be viewed at the link below:-

http://www.findarticles.com/g2601/0004/2601000494/p1/article.jhtml

David

www.vasectomy-information.com

sveshniko...@gmail.com

May 16, 2019, 4:46:16 PM5/16/19
This is interesting to me because I believe a bullying incident as a child left me with a damaged epididymis and mangled vas. I occasionally have some discomfort to this day (decades after the fact). Fortunately, I am still able to conceive children, but now am considering a vasectomy. I was worried that my condition would be exacerbated by a vasectomy. This article leads me to believe that, on the contrary, I may stand to gain from it.