Can Statins cause Tinnitus?

Deanna Janes

Jul 6, 2004, 7:23:24 AM7/6/04
This is a question from someone who developed tinnitus just a few weeks
ago and is having a very difficult time adjusting to the noise. I've seen
an ENT consultant and he has pretty much told me that I have to learn to
live with it but I'm not ready to do that yet so I'm reasearching and
asking questions on my own. Have you, or someone you know, developed
tinnitus because of taking statins. I've been taking Crestor since last
summer.

Any comments you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Janet Tokerud

Jul 10, 2004, 3:46:57 PM7/10/04
> Have you, or someone you know, developed tinnitus because of taking statins.

I don't have any proof of anything yet. I just started developing
noticeable tinnitus in the last month or so but think I had it at a
lesser level a few months longer. I started taking Crestor around Nov
20, 2003. I'm taking 20mg. I also take Paxil which apparently has
tinnitus listed as a possible sideeffect in the less than 5% range but
I've been taking that for about 2-1/2 years. Really would like to nip
this in the bud if its the Crestor.

RON

Jul 11, 2004, 6:22:01 PM7/11/04
janet....@gmail.com (Janet Tokerud) wrote in message news:<a4b6e555.04071...@posting.google.com>...

Hard to say..I had a bout of tinnitus while on Lipitor (went away
after a while), but I don't know if that was a cause. I'm now on
Crestor with no problems. Why are you on 20 mg?..that's a lot for
Crestor. Have you tried a lower dose yet? If not, you should see how
10 mg works for you.

Jennifer Bell

Jul 12, 2004, 5:09:20 AM7/12/04
what are statins?

Patty

Jul 12, 2004, 8:22:32 AM7/12/04
"Jennifer Bell" <star...@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
> what are statins?

Statins are Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs. They are the generic form of the
brand drugs.

Other than Baycol, the "statins" that are currently available in the US are:

* Lipitor (atorvastatin) - Pfizer

* Zocor (simvastatin) - Merck

* Pravachol (pravastatin) - Bristol-Myers Squibb

* Lescol (fluvastatin) - Novartis

* Mevacor (lovastatin) - Merck

Jennifer Bell

Jul 12, 2004, 8:41:17 AM7/12/04
oh ok, Thanks Patty.
I also heard that some nasal spray such as logicin can cause tinnitus, i was
actually using one the week I got mine. Anyone else heard of that?
Also with my tinnitus everytime I go on antibiotics it clears up heaps,
which tells me it must be something bacterial causing it, but according to
the Drs , they say the antibiotic is just a placebo, Thats a crock because i
was on antibiotics for a chest infection and I said about 2 weeks later,
somehting I have done in the last two weeks has really helped my ears, then
I realised it was the antibiotics, i have been on them a few times always
with the same results, unfortunatley its not good to be on antibiotics for
very long, and also my ears come back bad again after about a month.
I am on antibiotics now for tonsilitis so Im looking forward to a good month
with my ears.

ybn

Jul 26, 2004, 5:46:53 PM7/26/04
Deanna Janes <dja...@mun.ca> wrote in

I have been using Zocor for about two years. It seems the onset of T was at
the about the same time. None of the statins list T as a possible side
effect so I am not sure if there is a connection. I am also taking baby
aspirin but my ENT told me that the quantity is too small to cause a side
effect of T.

fgu...@dicle.edu.tr

Feb 15, 2015, 9:16:36 AM2/15/15
6 Temmuz 2004 Salı 14:23:24 UTC+3 tarihinde Deanna Janes yazdı:
I have been using Crestor for the last two months. I am living tired and dizzy days and also tinnitus. LDL-Kolesterol is 95 mg/dl now lower than normal levels. I have stopped the drug and wonder if I will get normal again. Before treatment LDL-cholesterol was 210 mg/dl.

vicka...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2017, 3:54:30 PM2/21/17
I have started taking simvastatin 10mg daily for the last month and a week ago started having tinnitus..throbbing in my left ear.
I had an audiogram today with a slight drop of hearing as well..will start taking Co10..lets see.

fr...@fredwrightagencies.com

Jul 12, 2018, 7:08:26 AM7/12/18
I Started taking Statins a few weeks ago. Only for a few days then stopped taking them because of the possible side effects. I didn't read anything about Tinnitus at the time but I have definitely developed tinnitus since in fact it would have been shortly after taking the Statins. I cant say it was the Statins that caused it but that is the only medication that I was on. I have just been recommended to take COQ10 which I have read may be reduced by Statins and apparently a lack of COQ10 can cause Tinnitus. I took my first one today, Hopefully this will reverse the effect as I realy cannot stand it much longer..