Transdermal Scopolamine --- It works !!!!

Bob DiMarco

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00

In March 99, the ATA Journal printed a letter from a
gentleman named John Perkins describing the
successful treatment of his T with Scopolamine
patches. Since then, he has posted some follow-
up messages in AST about this.

When I researched this subject on the web, I
managed to find 4-5 other people who also
been helped by the Transderm scop patches.
I also found two people who did not feel that
they benefitted from this treatment.

Last week, my ENT prescribed this treatment for me.
Last Friday, I cut the first patch in half and tried it.
I have a number of other medications and wanted to
be cautious.

I noticed a significant decrease in my T in 3-4 hours.
I also noticed the 'dry mouth' effect described in the
warnings. I started using a full patch this evening and
my T is at the lowest level I've known in my 25 years
of the problem -- much better than I've been able to
achieve with TRT for the past 2 years.

I don't know if the benefits can be permanent or if the
transderm scop patches can be used on a regular
basis -- I'm trying to find out (cautiously). It should
also be noted that this medication lists lots of possible
side effects.

Has anyone else tried this treatment ? These are the
same patches that are prescribed for people going on
a cruise and help with seasickness. I was not able
to find any research studies about this as a T
treatment.

I will post a follow-up in a few weeks and I hope that
some other people can benefit from this relatively
inexpensive treatment.

Good luck to all,

Bob D.
Long Island, NY

Stephen Nagler

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
dimar...@mindspring.com (Bob DiMarco) wrote:

>Has anyone else tried this treatment ? These are the
>same patches that are prescribed for people going on
>a cruise and help with seasickness. I was not able
>to find any research studies about this as a T
>treatment.

I have done an uncontrolled "mini-trial." I prescribed it for five of
my patients. None noticed any benefit whatsoever.

But that's really irrelevant for you, Bob. The fact that *you* have
noticed improvement is important. Good luck with it, and please do
keep ast updated with your progress.

stephen nagler

Stephen M. Nagler, MD, FACS
Director
Alliance Tinnitus and Hearing Center
Atlanta, Georgia
(404) 531-3979
http://www.tinn.com

Urs Ritter

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
>Has anyone else tried this treatment ? These are the
>same patches that are prescribed for people going on
>a cruise and help with seasickness. I was not able
>to find any research studies about this as a T
>treatment.
>
>Bob D.
>Long Island, NY

------------------------
Dear Bob

I have tried the Transdermal Scopolamine. I have applied one patch at the
evening.

The results at the next morning:

1) My very loud Tinnitus was TOTALLY away for the whole day !!
2) Dry mouth, dizziness
3) Car accident after a half mile. I have underestimated the first curve
of the street, but no damage (me and the car, only the green Grass
-)) ). I have removed the patch immediately.

I think the problem was: I have stopped with Xanax only one day before

I will try it a second time, maybe Saturday/Sunday (without car and Xanax),
because IT WORKS !

But i have learned: Never mix Scopolamine with Xanax or Alcohol or other
Medicines, the results could be very significant !

Many greetings

Urs Ritter
Switzerland (not Sweden)

Bob DiMarco

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:16:46 GMT, nag...@tinn.com (Stephen Nagler)
wrote:

>I have done an uncontrolled "mini-trial." I prescribed it for five of
>my patients. None noticed any benefit whatsoever.
>
>But that's really irrelevant for you, Bob. The fact that *you* have
>noticed improvement is important. Good luck with it, and please do
>keep ast updated with your progress.
>
>stephen nagler

Doctor:

I'm now in my second day on a full transderm scop patch
and the improvement seems to have slowed down.
I noticed the greatest change in the first 6 hours while
using a half patch. I also tried sleeping without a hearing
aid for the first time last night -- the benfits seem dimished
without being able to hear background sounds.

I don't think that any of the 4-5 successful patients I've heard
from have a significant hearing loss as I do, Is it possible
to find out if ATA (or anybody else) has studied the benefits
of transderm scop ?

I also noticed an ATA ad discussing a T conference on
April 1 in Voorhees NJ where you and Dr. Salvi will be
speaking. I hope to have the opportunity to meet you
at that time, and I'm very anxious to hear about your
visit with Dr. Shemesh next month,

With best regards,

Bob D.
Long Island, NY

dimar...@mindspring.com

Bob DiMarco

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:26:09 +0100, "Urs Ritter"
<urs_r...@hotmail.com> wrote in part:

>1) My very loud Tinnitus was TOTALLY away for the whole day !!
>2) Dry mouth, dizziness
>3) Car accident after a half mile. I have underestimated the first curve
>of the street, but no damage (me and the car, only the green Grass
>-)) ). I have removed the patch immediately.
>
>I think the problem was: I have stopped with Xanax only one day before
>
>I will try it a second time, maybe Saturday/Sunday (without car and Xanax),
>because IT WORKS !
>
>But i have learned: Never mix Scopolamine with Xanax or Alcohol or other
>Medicines, the results could be very significant !
>

>Many greetings
>
>Urs Ritter
>Switzerland (not Sweden)

Urs:

I'm still on the xanax ( 0.5 mg - 3X) and haven't noticed any
interaction -- no trouble driving. The list of problems and
warnings on the scopolamine is quite lengthy -- so it may
not be ideal for everyone.

You might want to try half a patch -- they're easy to cut.
Maybe this will eliminate some of the interaction
problems.

Good luck with your treatment.

Marly67

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Glad to hear you've found help!
Can you continue using it forever? Or is there a cap on it?

diana haver

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
> Has anyone else tried this treatment ? These are the
> same patches that are prescribed for people going on
> a cruise and help with seasickness. I was not able
> to find any research studies about this as a T
> treatment.
>
> I will post a follow-up in a few weeks and I hope that
> some other people can benefit from this relatively
> inexpensive treatment.
>
> Good luck to all,
>
> Bob D.
> Long Island, NY

It helped me but made me tired. I have used 2 patches and will use the
other 2. Since my doctor of many years retired, I don't know if I will
be able to get a prescription for more. They did help.

Manuela

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
Urs Ritter wrote:

> Urs Ritter
> Switzerland (not Sweden)

Hey, I am so glad to see somebody else from Switzerland. Urs, where are
you located? I am in Zurich, and would greatly appreciate if you could
tell me any good tips for T in Switzerland. Good adresses etc. I am new
to T and do not know anybody else suffering from it in 'real life'.
Manuela

to mail me, just take test out of my addy

Marina QUAGLIA

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
I have Tinnitus as well as an important loss of hearing. During all these
years (16) I saw different ENT but the answer was always the same: "There is
nothing to do".
We are not much helped by doctors here in France. I have never met an open
minded ENT willing to try new treatments. I would like to try Transdermal
Scopolamine but I don't know if it is available in France and if there is an
ENT, in Paris if possible, who has already tried it. I would like also to
communicate with other French people suffering from the same disease. Thanks
for answering.
Marina. Q.

GiGi Mcgaha

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
Bonjour Marina
Je souffre de cette condition, depuis un an,le 25 janvier je vais avoir
un MRI? le docteur veut etre certain que ce ne soit pas une tumeur,
d'apres lui, si ce n'est pa une tumeur, je devrais,"learn to live with it"
Ce n'est pas facile,mon francais est un peu rouille, je suis aux USA depuis
23ans.
Voici mon e-mail ggmc...@bellsouth.net
Merci et bon courage.
Gigi
Marina QUAGLIA <Marina....@wanadoo.fr> a écrit dans le message :
864fe4$cnq$1...@wanadoo.fr...

Bob DiMarco

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 20:40:41 -0500, diana haver <hav...@erols.com>
wrote:

>It helped me but made me tired. I have used 2 patches and will use the
>other 2. Since my doctor of many years retired, I don't know if I will
>be able to get a prescription for more. They did help.

Diana:

It's good to hear that it helped. My wife and I have
received a number of warnings about long term
everyday usage and withdrawal problems.

The most successful patient I've heard from is
on a maintenance plan where he has worn a
patch half the week for almost a year.

Apparently, the benefit(s) are short lived if you
discontinue scop patches completely.

Good luck with your treatment,

Bob D.
Long Island, NY

dimar...@mindspring.com

Urs Ritter

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00

Manuela schrieb in Nachricht <388596...@testspd.unizh.ch>...

>to mail me, just take test out of my addy

Hallo Manuela, ich kann Dich unter m...@testspd.unizh.ch nicht erreichen,
Fehler:

m...@testspd.unizh.ch; Action: Failed; Status: 5.4.3 (routing server failure)

Bitte maile mir doch auf

urs_r...@hotmail.com (Privat) oder urs.r...@ksu.gsd.lu.ch (Geschäft)

Viele Grüsse
Urs

Sorry for the english speaking people, we have a problem with our
email-adresses

diana haver

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00

No need to apologize. We are glad to see people get together.

Marsha Johnson

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
I am curious about this: does the dry mouth, etc. indicate a cessation of
certain bodily fluids or a closing of certain gland openings or ducts? A
chemically induced effect that might affect the middle ear space membranes
which are identical with the lining of the nose and mouth.....here we are
improving and increasing circulation of the blood to the ear, and perhaps
reducing these fluids in some way is more helpful>?

Food for thought...

Thanks for the report, Bob.

Marsha Johnson, M.S., CCC-A, FAAA
Clinic Director/Audiologist, TRTA Member since 1997
Oregon Tinnitus & Hyperacusis Treatment Center
(503) 233-5925 -clinic (9-5 PM), (503) 203 5858 voicemail (24 hours)
www.tinnitus-audiology.com

Bob DiMarco

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
On 30 Jan 2000 02:43:15 GMT, ore...@aol.com (Marsha Johnson) wrote:

>I am curious about this: does the dry mouth, etc. indicate a cessation of
>certain bodily fluids or a closing of certain gland openings or ducts? A
>chemically induced effect that might affect the middle ear space membranes
>which are identical with the lining of the nose and mouth.....here we are
>improving and increasing circulation of the blood to the ear, and perhaps
>reducing these fluids in some way is more helpful>?
>
>Food for thought...
>
>Thanks for the report, Bob.
>

>Marsha Johnson, M.S., CCC-A, FAAA

Marsha:

That is a super question -- I wish I could answer it. The
decongestant, dehydrating effect takes place almost
immediately. I've now settled into a routine of wearing
the patch for half the week -- there's enough residual
effect to feel some benefit all week

My totally scientific survey (anybody that answered me)
now has 11 people including me. Five unqualifuied
successes, three partials (including me), and three
who don't feel it did anything useful. I think one guy
wants his money back -- good luck !

My dentist tells me that it may have a negative effect
on the teeth -- will find this out in 2-3 weeks.

BTW, pharmacies charge about $5 a patch (ouch)
and my managed care only covers 2 boxes of 4
patches per month.

Everybody I've contacted has seen the benefit(s) or
problem(s) within first 4-6 hours of first patch. Since
I'm also taking xanax (0.5 mg - 3X), it does make you
a little tired. Maybe this is what makes the intensity
seem reduced ?

I did find out that Dr. Robert Levine (Mass. Eye & Ear
Infirmary) has requested some research funding for
TransDerm Scop. He was the prescribing Dr. for the
first patient I read about in this group.

Hope this helps -- best wishes,

katie...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2018, 11:08:18 AM3/7/18
Hey Bob, it's been a while but I have some questions about the TDS patch. Are you still around?