What to know about parathyroid hormone and osteoporosis

deT notsuH

Aug 11, 2022, 10:05:15 AM8/11/22
So, I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis, and testing revealed an
elevated PTH (parathyroid hormone). I will update as treatment
progresses, but if anyone wants to share their experience, I'd love to
hear it. (Who am I kidding. No one is here to even talk about thyroids
any more. Why would there be someone out there reading this group for
parathyroid info?)

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/parathyroid-hormone-osteoporosis
If a person has hyperparathyroidism and one of the parathyroid glands
overproduces PTH, the hormones signal the constant release of calcium
stores from the bone into the blood. This can cause the bones to lose
density and structure and become more porous because calcium is what
makes bones hard in structure.

https://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/parathyroid-and-osteoporosis-connection
If your symptoms are mild, your doctor may decide to wait and see if
they get worse. Or you may take medications like estrogen and
bisphosphonates to get your body to make less PTH so your bones can
rebuild. However, the medication won't cure your hyperparathyroidism;
only surgery will.

If you have a growth on your parathyroid glands and have symptoms, your
doctor probably will recommend surgery to remove it. Your symptoms
should stop within a month of having it taken off. The growth usually
doesn't come back.
--
deT notsuH bass-ackwards ude.hcimu@pcird
I'm not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

deT notsuH

Aug 11, 2022, 11:07:13 AM8/11/22
Understanding Osteoporosis -- the Basics
https://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/understanding-osteoporosis-basics
Certain medical conditions that increase bone breakdown, including
kidney disease, Cushing's syndrome, and an overactive thyroid or
parathyroid, can also lead to osteoporosis. Glucocorticoids, also known
as steroids, also increase bone loss. Anti-seizure drugs and long-term
immobility because of paralysis or illness can also cause bone loss.