OT: Pigs in the news!

deT notsuH

Dec 19, 2006, 7:01:37 PM12/19/06
A regular feature here at a.s.t. ... Here's the latest:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061206/ap_on_fe_st/pig_throwing_1

WEST POINT, Miss. - When pigs fly, indeed. Kevin Pugh, 20, of Cedar
Bluff, has been fined $279 for tossing a pig over the counter at the
Holiday
Inn Express in West Point on Nov. 12. Pugh pleaded guilty Tuesday in
city
court to a charge of disturbing the peace.

West Point Police Lt. Danny McCaskill has said Pugh didn't know the
employees of the hotel. There was no evidence intoxication was a
factor.

No one was hurt, including the pig, officers said.

"This was the silliest thing I've ever seen," McCaskill said. "Almost
every
officer we had was involved because the incidents kept happening at
different hours."

McCaskill said Pugh was accused of walking into the hotel and throwing
the 60-pound pig over the counter.

"He said it was a prank," McCaskill said. "It must be some redneck
thing,
because I haven't ever heard of anything like it."

McCaskill said there have been four late-night incidents involving
animal
-tossing at West Point businesses. Twice a pig was tossed and two of
the incidents involved possums.

All four of the disturbances took place between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m.,
McCaskill said.

Pugh is accused in a second animal-throwing incident at a Hardee's
restaurant. He has pleaded innocent to disturbing the peace in that
case
and will appear in city court on Dec. 19.
=======+++++++++++=============+++++++++++==============
Ok, ya gotta love an article that says the pig was not hurt in the
incident. And, even more, ya gotta love an article that uses
redNECK and PIG together. How thyroidian is that?
--
deT notsuH bass-ackwards ude.hcimu@pcird
Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.

Lois

Dec 19, 2006, 7:52:20 PM12/19/06
"deT notsuH" wrote:

deT! Good to see you. :)

> Kevin Pugh, 20, of Cedar Bluff, has been fined $279

That's all? Surely there isn't a zero missing at the end of that
number?

> for tossing a pig over the counter at the Holiday
> Inn Express in West Point on Nov. 12. Pugh pleaded guilty Tuesday in
> city court to a charge of disturbing the peace.

Disturbing the peace? I'd say he disturbed the pig's peace.

> No one was hurt, including the pig, officers said.

Whew!

> "This was the silliest thing I've ever seen," McCaskill said.

He hasn't been around much if he thinks that. ;)

> =======+++++++++++=============+++++++++++==============
> Ok, ya gotta love an article that says the pig was not hurt in the
> incident. And, even more, ya gotta love an article that uses
> redNECK and PIG together. How thyroidian is that?

Brilliant discovery, ET. :)

Lois

Mag

Dec 20, 2006, 8:12:31 PM12/20/06
I want to know where he got the pigs!

Merry Christmas!
Mag

Cavaliers

Dec 24, 2006, 7:24:11 PM12/24/06
Hi Mag,
Thank you - Merry Christmas to your and yours too and a healthy and happy
new year.
Diana (O)

"Mag" <mt...@umich.edu> wrote in message

deT notsuH

Dec 30, 2006, 8:18:24 PM12/30/06
Well, I usually get mine at... Hey! Wait a minute. You almost
had me give away my pig source. Sorry, can't divulge that.

On the other hand, I've heard of people giving them away at
parties. Ever hear of such a thing? ;@)

Happy New Year everyone! Should auld acquaintance be
forgot? (Maybe that is a symptom of hypo brain fog.)
For auld lang SWYNE!!

Cavaliers

Jan 8, 2007, 2:52:04 PM1/8/07

"deT notsuH" <dr...@umich.edu> wrote in message

>A regular feature here at a.s.t. ... Here's the latest:

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/200612/kt2006123119133111710.htm

It's the Year of the Pig!

deT notsuH

Jan 9, 2007, 11:11:19 AM1/9/07
Cavaliers wrote:
> "deT notsuH" <dr...@umich.edu> wrote in message ...

>>A regular feature here at a.s.t. ... Here's the latest:
>
> http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/200612/kt2006123119133111710.htm
>
> It's the Year of the Pig!

Every year is the Year of the Pig for me!

Here's another news bit:
Tobacco farmers move into pigs
// 09 Jan 2007
Tobacco farmers in the North of the Philippines are offered the opportunity
to earn additional money through producing pigs.

The farmers are encouraged by the National Tobacco Administration (NTA), who
in turn is supporting initiatives by the president Arroyo, aiming at job
creation and increase the income of farmers.

The NTA began piglet dispersals as from September 2006 – the administration
takes care of the inputs as well as technical and veterinary assistance to
the farmers.

Turning in supplies
Starting January 11th, the farmers will be turning in their supply of grown
pigs to the PGMA-Multiline Food Processing Plant located in Mabilbila Sur,
Santa, Ilocos Sur.

The tobacco farmers will are also be tasked to produce chicken, corn and
vegetables for the plant.
************************End Article***************************************

The obvious question I have is: How do you smoke a pig? Meanwhile,
who wouldn't love to be on the receiving end of a "piglet dispersal"?

--
deT notsuH bass-ackwards ude.hcimu@pcird

"HYPO" IS WHEN..... Your sweetie says, "Let's go upstairs and
make love," and you answer, "Pick one, I can't do both!"

Cavaliers

Jan 10, 2007, 8:29:38 PM1/10/07

> Every year is the Year of the Pig for me!

Oh, of course, how un- oink - ee of me...

> The obvious question I have is: How do you smoke a pig?

Well I don't know *exactly* where you live, but here, above the trap-line,
when it's smoked it's called bacon.
Happy New Year,
Diana - hugs & kisses

ohmygosh - we've got stairs in our house... :o)

Cavaliers

Jan 12, 2007, 1:01:20 PM1/12/07
meanwhile in Lucie's absence...we still need a funny now and then...

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the
computer
industry with the auto industry and stated,
"If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would
all
be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."
stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars
with
the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash. . . Twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a
new
car.

3. Occasionally, your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would
have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the
car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some
reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your
car
to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to
reinstall
the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable,
five
times as fast and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five percent
of
the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be
replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning
light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and
refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned
the
key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to
drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same
manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

deT notsuH

Jan 12, 2007, 2:01:51 PM1/12/07
Cavaliers wrote:
> meanwhile in Lucie's absence...we still need a funny now and then...
>
> At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates ...

<Indignant glare ON>
Whoa right there! If you are going to be Off-Topic, then at least
be On-Topic in the Off-Topic subject. The only PIG involved in that
joke was Bill Gates.
<Indignant glare OFF>

P.S. Auld lang swyne again, in case you missed that post awhile back...

Now then, back to the show:
This is a health warning from the nurse at the University.

As you know, there is a possibility of another outbreak of Swine Flu
during the next few months of flu season. In order that you may be
on the alert for indications that you or members of you family may
have contracted the Swine Flu Virus, you should be aware of the
symptoms associated with this disease.

1) Sore throat.
2) Slight headache.
3) Moderate to high temperature.
4) Nausea or upset stomach.
5) A strong urge to have sex in the mud.

Anyone who has any of these symptoms, especially no.5, should contact
the director of the Pixel Perverts film company.

Cavaliers

Jan 15, 2007, 1:02:43 PM1/15/07

"deT notsuH" <pcird*BACKWARDS*@hcimu.ude> wrote in message

> Cavaliers wrote:
>> meanwhile in Lucie's absence...we still need a funny now and then...
>>
>> At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates ...
>
> <Indignant glare ON>
> Whoa right there! If you are going to be Off-Topic, then at least
> be On-Topic in the Off-Topic subject. The only PIG involved in that
> joke was Bill Gates.
> <Indignant glare OFF>

Indignant is it you are? - grovelling apologies for my failure and oversight
of being OT to the OT; so back to OT ... check out your personality:
http://www.usbridalguide.com/special/chinesehoroscopes/Pig.htm

I was born in the Year of the Rabbit and attach a recent photograph <g>
(right up there with Albert Einstein):
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2124728400085996793qnGKGP

Good times to you,
Diana

deT notsuH

Jan 24, 2007, 11:43:27 AM1/24/07
Cavaliers wrote:
> "deT notsuH" wrote in message ...

>>Cavaliers wrote:
>>>meanwhile in Lucie's absence...we still need a funny now and then...
>>>
>>>At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates ...
>>
>><Indignant glare ON>
>>Whoa right there! If you are going to be Off-Topic, then at least
>>be On-Topic in the Off-Topic subject. The only PIG involved in that
>>joke was Bill Gates.
>><Indignant glare OFF>
>
> Indignant is it you are? - grovelling apologies for my failure and oversight
> of being OT to the OT; so back to OT ... check out your personality:
> http://www.usbridalguide.com/special/chinesehoroscopes/Pig.htm
>
> I was born in the Year of the Rabbit and attach a recent photograph <g>
> (right up there with Albert Einstein):
> http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2124728400085996793qnGKGP
>
> Good times to you,
> Diana

That photo of you as a rabbit reminds me of my good friend, Harvey.
You might want to meet us at the bar sometime. (P.S. I trust you
know that I never really get angry. However, "grovelling" is the
appropriate position for a pig to take to root for truffles....)

In today's news, good thing you weren't the victim of your local
serial killer there in Vancouver:
NEW WESTMINSTER, British Columbia (AP) — A Canadian pig farmer whom
prosecutors said confessed to killing 49 women told police in a video-
taped interview shown to jurors Tuesday that the allegations against
him were "hogwash," yet concedes he's "a bad dude."
--==--
Related joke of the day:
What do you call a laundromat for pigs?
The Hogwash!

Cavaliers

Jan 26, 2007, 3:13:59 PM1/26/07

> That photo of you as a rabbit reminds me of my good friend, Harvey.
> You might want to meet us at the bar sometime.

The picture really doesn't do me justice - my ears aren't quite that long,
but my legs maybe comparable.

I'll be in the bar at Todos Santos "such a lovely place" - it's the last
time I saw Harvey -
oops - OT again

>(P.S. I trust you
> know that I never really get angry. However, "grovelling" is the
> appropriate position for a pig to take to root for truffles....)

Impossible! People who know Harvey don't get angry - ever, especially is
they care for pigs too.

Have a good weekend,

Diana

Mag

Jan 27, 2007, 5:55:06 PM1/27/07
What, no invisible pig friend?
Mag

On Jan 24, 11:43 am, deT notsuH <pcird*BACKWAR...@hcimu.ude> wrote:
> Cavaliers wrote:

> >><Indignant glare ON>
> >>Whoa right there! If you are going to be Off-Topic, then at least
> >>be On-Topic in the Off-Topic subject. The only PIG involved in that
> >>joke was Bill Gates.
> >><Indignant glare OFF>
>
> > Indignant is it you are? - grovelling apologies for my failure and oversight
> > of being OT to the OT; so back to OT ... check out your personality:
> >http://www.usbridalguide.com/special/chinesehoroscopes/Pig.htm
>
> > I was born in the Year of the Rabbit and attach a recent photograph <g>
> > (right up there with Albert Einstein):
> >http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2124728400085996793qnGKGP
>
> > Good times to you,

> > DianaThat photo of you as a rabbit reminds me of my good friend, Harvey.

> You might want to meet us at the bar sometime. (P.S. I trust you
> know that I never really get angry. However, "grovelling" is the
> appropriate position for a pig to take to root for truffles....)
>
> In today's news, good thing you weren't the victim of your local
> serial killer there in Vancouver:

> NEW WESTMINSTER, British Columbia (AP) - A Canadian pig farmer whom

Cavaliers

Jan 27, 2007, 7:57:30 PM1/27/07

> What, no invisible pig friend?
> Mag

I think there is one but haven't seen it lately ...
Diana

deT notsuH

Jan 31, 2007, 3:50:11 PM1/31/07
Mag wrote:
> What, no invisible pig friend?

The pig is very visible. It is me that has been invisible....

Mag

Jan 31, 2007, 8:58:26 PM1/31/07

Hmmm, did you spend too much time at the A2 Hash Bash this summer?
How long have you had these delusions?

deT notsuH

Feb 2, 2007, 1:51:30 PM2/2/07
Mag wrote:
>>Mag:>>What, no invisible pig friend?
>>
>deT:>The pig is very visible. It is me that has been invisible....

> Hmmm, did you spend too much time at the A2 Hash Bash this summer?
> How long have you had these delusions?

Well, let's put it this way: Have you *seen* much of me in the past
few months? No! Clearly, that is proof of my invisibility!

(Delusions? Only of my grandeur!)

Mag

Feb 6, 2007, 10:53:18 AM2/6/07
New News of Pigs. Is this discrimination or a compliment? They did
ban pigs, but compared them to Father Christmas.

Ban Thwarts 'Year of the Pig' Ads in China
by Louisa Lim

Morning Edition, February 6, 2007 · China's preparing for the year of
the Pig, an especially auspicious year which begins on Feb. 18. But
the run-up has been anything but lucky for pork fans. Pigs have been
banned from appearing in any ads on the state-run broadcaster, CCTV,
after an order that is now surrounded by confusion.

The order means that ads for consumer treats like sausage snacks have
been yanked from air. A brand manager for Tenlow snacks says ads for
his company's pork snacks deliver positive messages.

"Both adults and children believe pigs are a lucky symbol, which bring
fortune and wealth," Tenlow's Wu Ying said. "Their plumpness means
prosperity."

This cartoon pig used in Tenlow's ads would hardly seem subversive.
But CCTV has ordered major advertising agencies not to use pig images,
cartoons or slogans "to avoid conflicts with ethnic minorities."
That's a reference to China's 20 million Muslims, about two percent of
the country's population.

At a popular mosque in Shanghai there's general approval of the ban.
Given the Muslim taboo on pigs, these believers say seeing pig images
on TV would make them feel very uncomfortable.

"China's building a harmonious society," Hassan Bai Runsheng, the
mosque's imam, said. "We see a decision like this in the context of
creating a harmonious society between Han Chinese and ethnic minority
groups."

Even big multinationals are aware of the sensitivities. A Coca-Cola ad
features a cute Babe-like piglet braving mean city streets to get home
for the Chinese New Year. But the company shot a second version using
pandas to show in Muslim areas.

For those who didn't take such measures, economic losses beckon.

"It is really messing with people's commercial activities," Paul
French, Access Asia's China representative, said. "It'd be like [in]
the second week of December telling people, 'you can run whatever
advertising you want, but no images of Father Christmas.'"

French said he's received the edict but, to confuse matters, not
everyone's been given the same orders.

"Some people are told 'no live pigs, but you can have animated or
cartoon pigs,'" French said. "And some people say 'no pigs
whatsoever.'"

To add to the confusion, one agency told NPR the pig ban had
subsequently been relaxed, while others say it's still in place. CCTV
refused to grant an interview on the pig ban.

Whatever the situation, the thinking behind the ban is telling.

"The underlying reason goes to the very core of what it is Chinese
government views as its patriarchal responsibility to maintain harmony
of the entire society," Tom Doctoroff, China CEO for the JWT
advertising agency, said.

Doctoroff says it can be difficult to predict what might fall foul of
the censors.

"We one time had a Pizza Hut ad ... [where] we had this kid standing
up on a desk and extolling in fulsome tones the glory of the pizza to
attract the other kids," Doctoroff said. "This ad did get censored
because the child, the student, the 8-year-old, was viewed as an
alternative center of authority."

Other no-nos include using religious figures, for example Buddhist or
Taoist monks. And national icons like the Great Wall should be treated
with caution. Paul French said edicts - like one issued last year
about dragons - should be viewed against the backdrop of China's
rising power.

These orders perhaps mirror how the Chinese government would like to
see itself - as the protector of minority groups, the guardian of
national icons and the ultimate arbiter of harmony. But that role may
no longer be possible.

A tune called "the pig song" shows why. It's devoted to describing the
pig's dripping snout, its curly tail and its big ears. Posted on the
Internet two years ago, it became a surprise hit, it was downloaded a
billion times. Even if Beijing had wanted to ban it, modern technology
- in the form of the internet - would have made that impossible.

>From the outside, China's government might appear monolithic. But the
saga of the pig ban shows how it's struggling with multiculturalism,
riddled with insecurity and beholden to commercial pressures, as
perhaps never before.