Prozac changed my life

Melissa

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
I don't know what the big deal is. Why the fear and paranoia about a
medication that has lowered the suicide rate, and helped countless
people out of the darkness and despair of depression?.

I have been on Prozac for 2 years. I have nothing but good to say about
it. I have overcome OCD, have lost 20 lb., started my own business, my
life has turned around. I no longer suffer from crying jags, social
phobia, and hopelessness.

I no longer sit in the dark and listen to Depeche Mode, and Fiona Apple

I also have been diagnosed as having adult ADD. I am going back to
school at 44 and for the first time in my life feel focused.

As we enter a new millennium I feel great hope for the future in regards
to mental health. So much of our so called "mental problems" are
seritonin and dopamine related.

Not too long ago Drs. were clueless about bacteria. They would dissect
corpses and then deliver babies without washing their hands. Now we know
better.

So to those of you that are afraid of Prozac, Ritalin etc....remember
people used to think the world was flat.

BTW.. I have stopped taking Prozac for the time being and I will go on
it in a flash. No withdrawals here. Also the side effects dissipated
after 1 month.

Piet

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
On Sat, 30 Oct 1999 03:42:34 GMT, Melissa <ha...@home.com> wrote:

>I have been on Prozac for 2 years. I have nothing but good to say about
>it. I have overcome OCD, have lost 20 lb., started my own business, my
>life has turned around. I no longer suffer from crying jags, social
>phobia, and hopelessness.
>
>I no longer sit in the dark and listen to Depeche Mode, and Fiona Apple
>
>I also have been diagnosed as having adult ADD. I am going back to
>school at 44 and for the first time in my life feel focused.

Good for me to see the positive side; I myself just started taking
prozac .
But I have a question: What's your plan for the future; is the
medication for lifetime or do you think you can handle things without
it after a while.
By the way, what is OCD?

Pieter.

Melissa

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
my long term plans are to see how I do without prozac. I do know that I have
the genetic chemistry that makes me prone to depression.
I have no problem with going back on it if I need to.
OCT is obsessive compulsive disorder. When I get depressed I feel a need for
perfection and control. Before prozac I couldn't leave my house if it wasn't
perfect. I would see every little flaw and would freak. On prozac I was much
more relaxed about everything.
Good luck and I hope prozac helps you as much as it did me

Eve

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
I've read all the posts again and again, and I just have to put in my
2-cents' worth. This is my second week on Prozac, I think. I feel great.
Even the side effects that I'm feeling --- flu-like symptoms, a bit of
dissociation every now and then, slightly forgetful-- are a good trade-off
compared to being too depressed to get out of bed in the morning, feeling
really depressed and sorry for myself at about noon every day and crashing
out in the evening on a daily basis as well. I kept track of my moods in a
diary, and was amazed to find out that I have this pattern. Now it's
gone.

I don't believe that it takes away the good side of me as well as the sad.
I believe that it lets out the good side of me, the side of me that's not
too shy to chat or too sad to think straight. I look my mirror self right
in the eye, and I don't see a ghost of myself anymore --- I'm really back
and I'm really here. I have wasted 2 years of my life feeling sad and lost,
and I've got a lot of time to make up for.

Eve.

Loki <lo...@whereever.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 31 Oct 1999 20:50:49 -0000, "David Eastham"
> <da...@eastham.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >:Probably because the newsgroup is "Survivors of Prozac" I think many
people
> >:who post are already against Prozac. Those millions who have benefited
from
> >:it may not feel the need to tell everyone.
>
> You seem to be right on target there, I just looked and found an
> alt.fan.prozac - no traffic in there at all. Like any business or
> product (or medication), the dissatisfied are much louder than the
> silent majority that are satisfied.
>
> I'm not a doctor or scientist, but I find it fascinating to see how
> negatively it effects some and positively it effects others without
> anyone really having an explanation why. As someone else (Mad as ice,
> I believe) pointed out elsewhere in this thread, nobody really knows
> how or why it either works or doesn't work.
>
> Some people seem to think it is "the capsule from hell" while others
> think it originated in heaven. Go figger.
>
> Loki

David Eastham

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99

Loki wrote in message ...

>On Sat, 30 Oct 1999 10:18:45 GMT, Pok...@casema.net (Piet) wrote:
>
>>:On Sat, 30 Oct 1999 03:42:34 GMT, Melissa <ha...@home.com> wrote:
>>:
>>:>...
>>:>I have been on Prozac for 2 years. I have nothing but good to say about
>>:>it. I have overcome OCD, have lost 20 lb., started my own business, my
>>:>life has turned around. I no longer suffer from crying jags, social
>>:>phobia, and hopelessness.
>>:>
>>:>I no longer sit in the dark and listen to Depeche Mode, and Fiona Apple
>>:>
>>:>I also have been diagnosed as having adult ADD. I am going back to
>>:>school at 44 and for the first time in my life feel focused.
>>:>
>>:>...
>>:
>>:Good for me to see the positive side; I myself just started taking
>>:prozac .
>>:But I have a question: What's your plan for the future; is the
>>:medication for lifetime or do you think you can handle things without
>>:it after a while.
>>:By the way, what is OCD?
>>:
>>:Pieter.
>

>OCD is "obsessive compulsive disorder". It could be something like
>washing your hands 100 times a day or checking your doors are locked
>ten times before you leave, something odd but you can't help yourself.
>I guess Prozac is good for treating that as well.
>
>I've been on Prozac for two months now, had no side effects, only
>positive benefits so far. This is why I find many of the posts here
>claiming Prozac to be some horrific drug to be quite odd. I wonder
>what the ratio might be for people that have had bad experiences to
>those who had good experiences?
>
>I mostly lurk, I haven't had the bad effects and haven't been on it
>long enough to really claim virtue, so I am just curious to see what
>others have experienced.
>
>Loki

arthur haywoode

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
I've been on it since early july, A very positive experience so far.

Anyone who wants to discuss it, I'm ar...@idt.net.

ClayJay295

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99
Well said, Melissa......And believed by others who have been in your
shoes..........

MadIce

Nov 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/1/99
Prozac saved my life. I would be dead without antidepressants. However, it
is a relatively new drug and to have a forum where news and views of its
users can be exchanged is a very good thing indeed. Don't forget we are but
15 years away from a time when speed was given as a way to loose weight!

The brute fact is that psych-meds are still only just beginning. Ask any
doctor and he'll tell you what he THINKS it does...but they aren't sure yet.
They aren't sure about a whole lotta things about the brain. So far, results
of research have been on trial-and-error basis...and it seems to me the
treatments have been developed and are still being used in the same way. You
dont respond to this drug? Try this one. Why one person doesn't respond and
another does is still unknown.

So I make full use of this brand-new lifesaver, but I keep my eye on
developments as well. I'm grateful, but I still want to look at the
gift-horses teeth! :)))

Mrs. Duck

Nov 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/1/99
Dear Eve, and everyone else. Glad you are feeling better. I went on
prozac in my late 40's and I could not imagine that it would help,
because I had been depressed as early as a young kid. I tried
different antidep. over the years in my 30's, and nothing made me feel
ok. I never stayed on anything longer than 3-4 weeks, cause my
depression never really subsided, and I always felt too drugged and
awful. But, I have been on prozac for nine years, and I can tell you,
that my brain, for whatever reason, likes prozac. It just takes that
awful edge off my anger. I used to be so angry about anything....you
name it. And now, although I can get angry I do not need to yell and
scream and act out on it like I used to. I know I would have killed
myself cause I was so hopeless about life, and I really never had any
reason to feel so awful, except I felt like that my entire life. With
prozac, I take my life one day at a time, and don't overreact and go
nuts over every little thing. So, for me it has been like taking an
advil for a headache. Everyone is different, and I have tried for
four years in a row (always in the summer) to get off it, and this
summer I was actually off prozac for a while, and I just felt exactly
like I used to my entire life....just not wanting to live, and so
sad......for no reason. So I went back on, and I'm ok since I am back
on it. Although my life is so different after 9 years, and I am
older, and wiser, hopefully; my brain still must have the need for the
prozac. I did my own experimenting and realize that I do need to stay
on it, even tho I don't like taking meds, but, I don't like wanting to
die either. Deb

Hopmasterj

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
>So much of our so called "mental problems" are
>seritonin and dopamine related.

no. they are mostly psychlogical. understanding yourself psychologically is the
key to overcoming depression. not some drug. you might as go find yourself some
cocaine. taking the drugs is a sure sign of mental weakness. the longer you
take them the weaker you will become because you know you have to have them.its
a downward spiral. what you really need is faith in yourself and others without
the drug. until you have this you will never have truely overcome depression.

> Now we know
>better.

who knows. better than who. do we truely understand all that our brains are
capable of both conciously and subconciously. we probably never will. to say
that we can is foolishness.even i know better than to insert unnatural
chemicals into my brain.

MickW

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Yer talking bollocks pal.

If you know better than to insert these chemicals into your brain - get off
the group.

--
'Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
Hopmasterj <hopma...@aol.com> wrote in message

mark.59...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2016, 9:24:19 AM2/8/16
On Saturday, 30 October 1999 08:00:00 UTC+1, Melissa wrote:
> I don't know what the big deal is. Why the fear and paranoia about a
> medication that has lowered the suicide rate, and helped countless
> people out of the darkness and despair of depression?.
>
> I have been on Prozac for 2 years. I have nothing but good to say about
> it. I have overcome OCD, have lost 20 lb., started my own business, my
> life has turned around. I no longer suffer from crying jags, social
> phobia, and hopelessness.
>
> I no longer sit in the dark and listen to Depeche Mode, and Fiona Apple
>
> I also have been diagnosed as having adult ADD. I am going back to
> school at 44 and for the first time in my life feel focused.
>
> As we enter a new millennium I feel great hope for the future in regards
> to mental health. So much of our so called "mental problems" are
> seritonin and dopamine related.
>
> Not too long ago Drs. were clueless about bacteria. They would dissect
> corpses and then deliver babies without washing their hands. Now we know
> better.
>
> So to those of you that are afraid of Prozac, Ritalin etc....remember
> people used to think the world was flat.
>
> BTW.. I have stopped taking Prozac for the time being and I will go on
> it in a flash. No withdrawals here. Also the side effects dissipated
> after 1 month.

I'm resigned to taking Prozac for the rest of my life, and it has been transformational for me. I doubled my circle of friends, began to sleep like a log, became hyper-creative and take delight in every activity. I think that the person I am OFF Prozac is not really me - I know from how I felt as a young man what I am meant to feel like, and I feel like this now. I would recommend Prozac without hesitation. I now have boundless energy and zest for everything.

erada...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2018, 8:51:29 AM7/14/18
I just started prozac 2 monthes ago..PS: i'm talking it for anexiaty and bulimia nervosa disorders.. and i'm already feeling calmer and relax.. thank God