My Non-Smoking adventures in Health...(5) (Long)

LorraineDP

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99
This is a really interesting post RK. thanks for taking the time to post it.

can you tell if it's cheaper or more expensive..or about the same..to eat in
this manner? just wondering...

Lorraine

Dennis Cox

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99
Wow, I gotta hand it to you, I think changing to a vegetarian diet is almost
as hard as to quit smoking!
I read a book, Diet for a new America by John Robbins last spring and it was
a real eye-opener. I resolved to never eat meat, eggs or dairy food again.
I didn't for about 2 months. I think this will be the "stop smoking"
campaign of the 2000's. Vegetarianism is at its infancy much like the stop
smoking argument was back in the early 60's. It needs to come to the
forefront what the meat-eating lifestyle is doing to us, just for the fact
that a steak "is not your Fathers steak anymore". How beef, chickens, etc.
are raised is appalling and is going to bring about massive health problems
in the coming years. I still eat very little meat, eggs, etc but am not what
you would call a vegetarian. I think I'll tackle one health problem at a
time (smoking) but will most definitely do the vegetable thing again.

Read the book, like I said, it is a real eye-opener!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-5562939-5544005

Dennis

Two months, six days, 8 hours, 7 minutes and 56 seconds. 3366 cigarettes not
smoked, saving $402.59. Life saved: 1 week, 4 days, 16 hours, 30 minutes.

Tammy Mcniff

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99
I so enjoy these posts of yours, Roadkill, very interesting
reading. You are inspiring me to at least contemplate
making some significant changes in my diet - I'll try
the soy milk, never had it before. If anyone is interested
I've found a great cookbook, Vegetarian Cooking for
Everyone. Many recipes are vegan (which is what RK is
aiming for). The book is by Deborah Madison, author
of The Greens, another cookbook.

I hope you will continue writing these articles,
Roadkill - I suspect you're inspiring lots of us.

Tammy
3M+

Roadkill <mala...@internetcds.com> wrote:
: My Non-Smoking adventures in Health...(5)

: The term "a watershed event" is not used indiscriminately. Just as
: the Continental Divide determines which way raindrops, and later,
: rivers, will flow in the US--so does a personal watershed event,
: should it happen, makes life never again quite the same. A crisis met
: face to face.

: So it is with a sudden death, quitting smoking, quitting drinking, a
: tragic loss---the watershed event may take many faces....it is a
: crisis survived, and life from that point on is viewed differently.

: The survivor knows loss happens quickly. They know not to take things
: for granted. They know the important things may call for quite a bit
: of effort and/or sacrifice....they start living deliberately....

: The survivor is different person, capable of behaving differently,
: capable of taking roads less traveled. The person who survived being
: trapped on a mountain ledge in a blizzard, and later rescued, either
: with the help of others or on their own, knows how precious life is,
: and knows life's secrets. They've seen the elephant. So it is with a
: person who intentionally endured unspeakable discomfort in order to
: survive and to prevail.....they never again will view life as they
: once did. It's too dear.

: -------------

: It was the last night of this nutrition class I was taking. The two
: leaders for the past 8 weeks, both slender and in their 70's, were
: quiet and soft-spoken in their demeanor, and I found myself grown fond
: of them both. They were a couple, and Mildred (I could never bring
: myself to call such a gentle, dignified lady "Millie") had never eaten
: meat in her life, and her husband not in 50 years. Then they called
: upon an elderly lady to speak.

: She was probably in her 70's as well, I guessed, and her face
: well-creased, she stood erect as she told of a recent visit to a foot
: doctor. (She needed a hammer-toe corrected, if I remember.) As a
: pre-op routine, they asked for a list of her current medications. She
: apologetically replied saying she didn't have any medications.

: The doctor looked at her, and according to her, said. "Let me guess.
: You don't smoke, and never have. You are a vegetarian. You have been
: one for a long time. You exercise regularly....." He was right on all
: counts. She said she wanted her toe fixed because it was interfering
: with her bicycle riding, that she did 3 times a week, weather
: permitting. She had just celebrated her 90th birthday.

: With unabashed delight she told of a conversation she had one day
: while out on one of her bike rides with a man raking leaves.

: "Whew!" he said. "I'm getting too old for this.", as he wiped his
: brow.

: "How old are you?" she asked.

: "I'm 60," he answered. She laughed and rubbed it in, telling him she
: was 30 years older than he, and peddled away smiling.
: -----------------
: I decided early on in the class, that I was going to try being a
: vegetarian. At least a little bit. I hadn't known until the first
: night, that this was going to involve the REAL VEGETARIAN diet. At
: first, I would go in the kitchen and stand there bewildered.
: Everything I thought to have normally was not ok. The weekly lessons
: went on.

: So I'd grab a carrot or a piece of celery and felt very lost--I
: remember one noon when I couldn't think of anything I could make, I
: cooked and ate a plateful of collard greens for lunch. Then I bought
: a box of soy milk for my cereal.

: There. Finally I had solved a meal. Breakfast would be a fancy
: healthy cold cereal with soy milk. But what to do about those other
: two meals.

: I decided that I was going to have to put more effort into this thing.
: I was going to have to try those weird recipes with ground up cashews,
: even if it meant I might waste most of it. I was going to have to buy
: fresh vegetables, and get those weird ingredients like Braggs Aminos,
: and polenta, in fact, learn to cook all over again.

: I knew me. If I didn't find things that were agreeable to me, I would
: never stick with it, nor ever perhaps make it past the first week. I
: knew from the potlucks at their church one could make good-tasting
: stuff.
: So on a frequent basis, I trashed my kitchen, dirtying up every bowl,
: pot and pan.

: Shortly after the classes had started, I thought to get a blood test.
: The last physical I'd had about a year or so earlier, my cholesterol
: was kinda borderline-high, it was 229. I thought it might be fun to
: see if anything changed as a result of changing my diet. I was not
: too happy to see the dumb thing had gone even higher.

: The following results tell the story better than any words.

: Oct. 5, Nov. 12 Dec. 1
: 242 229 168 cholesterol
: 59 49 57 HDL
: 85 n/a 57 Trig.
: 166 n/a 100 LDL
: 2.81 4.7 1.7 LDL:HDL Ratio

: My goal is to reach the cholesterol levels found in those developing
: countries, and that have little heart disease, little osteoporosis,
: etc.. and not nearly the advanced standard of living as found in the
: US! Living in the richest country in the world, Americans have the
: poorest diet, and despite the advanced health care system, etc....the
: shortest lifespan. (There's qualifications here, like controlling
: infectious disease, etc..that I won't go into)

: What I have learned in reading these tests is, while the other
: readings are of mild interest, no matter what one's doctor/nurse may
: tell you, the Cholesterol number is the most important. They have
: told me that my "good" cholesterol cancels out my "bad"
: cholesterol---Wrong! That so called "good" chol. is nothing more than
: garbagemen. And when you have a lot of garbagemen, what that really
: says is you've got a lot of garbage flowing through your blood, and
: that is not good.

: This cholesterol thing is a terribly important indicator of one's
: health--and not just for the heart, but it has a ripple effect for all
: sorts of things, like diabetes, M.S., a whole host of things--like a
: thermometer may not tell one what exactly the problem is, but that
: something's not right if the reading is too high.)

: What I've learned is that our livers make all the chol. we need,
: without any "free" oil ("Free" oil means oil that has been "freed,
: liberated" from olives, corn, etc...and to show how concentrated that
: single tablespoon of oil is, is it takes 13 ears of corn to make a
: tablespoon of oil.

: Oil, lard from animal sources is just plain deadly to the
: cardio-vascular system.

: (Restaurants love lard--not only is it cheap, but it's a
: flavor-enhancer.) I consider it almost impossible for Americans not
: to have an uphill fight with weight due to what's happened in the last
: 40+ years in food processing)

: That trying to keep the "freed" oil consumption down to only enough to
: keep food from sticking, or using a spray oil. That humans get ALL
: THE OIL/FAT THEY NEED from seeds (sunflower seeds, etc.) avocados,
: olives. You see, what happens is this: anytime oil is consumed, the
: liver gets all excited and MAKES cholesterol. That's one of it's
: jobs. But it's supposed to do this from the original state of the
: vegetables that contain fiber, etc.., and it's too stupid to realize
: it's responding to Wesson Oil, corn oil, and not 13 ears of corn,
: etc...

: Milk is liquid meat. Plus they're both without any fiber, as is oil,
: and all animal products.)

: But nutrition is a relatively new science, and an exciting one for
: scientists and total frauds alike.

: I was brought up to believe that the more protein in one's diet the
: better.

: But now science points to studies that indicate that too much protein
: makes the liver overwork and causes stress, and now saying that on 50
: g. a day is best. It is almost impossible to not exceed that figure
: just getting one's protein from an all-plant diet. Same with calcium.
: Broccoli is amazing. So are carrots.

: I learned that countries with a high standard of living, with more and
: more processed food, handled by more and more people, is a high risk
: way of living. The long the list of fine print on that package, the
: greater the risk the manufacturer is putting something in there for
: THEIR benefit, not the consumers.

: Stake one's life on science that's been subjected to peer-review, and
: published in medical journals, and not on, "well, it worked for Aunt
: Agatha...."

: I learned that the new cholesterol-reducing drugs like Zocor, are
: miracle drugs, just like the invention of penicillin. They work, and
: are saving lives. It used to be a cholesterol of 190 being considered
: still within a normal range for Americans. They've raised it to 200
: for the upper limits. But years ago 200 was considered dangerous.
: (What that 200 really should be interpreted, as far as I'm concerned
: is 200 is typical for people who are on an bad diet.) It used to be
: considered that one's cholesterol was a permanent thing--that diet
: could not change it in any way, and had no role in heart disease,
: anyhow...(this 50 years ago). But now there's a way to reverse the
: harm one has done--and it takes only 14 months--I find this to be
: miraculous, and just a heck of a good deal.

: I learned that there's a definite correlation between one's diet and
: lifespan. Eskimos eat an all-meat/fat diet. They also have the
: shortest life-span of 30 years, and that any person in living in the
: northern hemisphere has 10 times the likelihood of living to 100 year
: than the American Eskimo. The winners in this deal are the Okinawans,
: and the Hunza (poor birth records there, tho)...

: Anyway, these statements represent what I've learned, and based on
: published scientific studies and findings, not on unfounded claims.

: One cardiologist told his patient, "Diet & exercise--a total lifestyle
: change is required for you to get better--but I have to be honest with
: you--changing your diet will be responsible for more than 80% of the
: results, and exercise more like 15% of the results. So just changing
: your diet will work, but you put the two together makes it really
: effective......"

: Roadkill
: (Look at my figure for cigs not smoked)
: One year, six months, three weeks, two days, 5 hours, 33 minutes and
: 30 seconds. 20028 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,754.06.

: P.S. My kitchen today looks very different. Instead of cupboards full
: of boxes and bottles of oils, I have all these quart-size canning jars
: filled with all different colors of beans, grains and seed. I like
: the red lentils the best, they're so pretty. I have funny-looking
: green things growing in jars on the counter. Also on my counter that
: wasn't there before is a blender.

: My fridge is filled with fresh veggies lotsa green leafed things,
: fruit, instead of meats, and milks. My weight has dropped about 5
: pounds despite my desperate attempts to keep it up with Dove's
: chocolate. I listen to John Lee Hooker sing "Boom, Boom, and Muddy
: Waters and Howling Wolf sing the blues, and B.B. King., and I dance to
: James Brown singing "I Feel Good." (I suspect my son, who lives far
: away, wonders about his mother....)

Sassy She-Spock

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99

Roadkill <mala...@internetcds.com> wrote in message

> I'm just not convinced of
> the safety of the genetically engineered vegetables--especially the
> ones that "make" their own insecticide--so I'm starting to switch to
> the organically grown section, which, as you know, is higher, but the
> grower is avoiding genetically engineered seed. The law now is, the
> consumer is not entitled to know whether it's a GE tomato or not.
>
> Roadkill

Yes! I read an article about this in the NY Times a few weeks ago! The
companies who did all the research and development for the GE veggies
already sunk so many billions of dollars into this project that they
purposely kept the topic hush-hush. They were afraid of the controversy (go
figure). Might still have it printed out here somewhere, they charge you to
download old articles (bestids).

Sassy She-Spock
Boldly Going Nowhere
Two weeks, three days, 21 hours, 20 minutes and 20 seconds. 178 cigarettes
not smoked, saving $33.09. Life saved: 14 hours, 50 minutes.

Sassy She-Spock

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99

Tammy Mcniff <t...@runner.ucdavis.edu> wrote in message

> I so enjoy these posts of yours, Roadkill, very interesting
> reading. You are inspiring me to at least contemplate
> making some significant changes in my diet - I'll try
> the soy milk, never had it before

Soy milk is very good for women anyway, it is believed to help prevent
breast cancer. They also have chocolate soy-milk, for beginners. :) Take
some adjustments.

Sassy She-Spock
Boldly Going Nowhere

Two weeks, three days, 21 hours, 29 minutes and 32 seconds. 178 cigarettes
not smoked, saving $33.11. Life saved: 14 hours, 50 minutes.

Sassy She-Spock

Dec 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/4/99
Well, I'm not a vegetarian, but I have to start watching my diet. After
only 18 days my pants are too tight and my ass moves in whatever direction
it wants to when I walk. So, I was wondering if you could recommend any
good vegan recipes? Hopefully low-maintenance. :) Or maybe even a good
website that you use. Hmm, maybe we should start an AS3 cookbook . . .

Wiping flour from her forehead,

Sassy She-Spock
Boldly Going Nowhere

Two weeks, four days, 4 hours, 39 minutes and 59 seconds. 181 cigarettes not
smoked, saving $33.66. Life saved: 15 hours, 5 minutes.

> what has me curious, is I'm noticing more & more shelf space being
> devoted to health/vegetarian items.
> Let's face it--where I live is Not the cutting edge of change...
>
> But I read that vegetarian/vegan is the fastest growing segment in
> society, yet I have not a single friend who is vegetarian.......so
> where the heck are they?
> RK

Tammy Mcniff

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
Same is supposed to be true of miso. RK's post reminded
me that I hadn't had any miso soup in an age, so I picked
some up at the (mainstream) grocery store this afternoon.
Also picked up some soy milk to try on my cereal.

Here's to your health!

Tammy
3M+

Sassy She-Spock <SassyS...@aol.com> wrote:
: Soy milk is very good for women anyway, it is believed to help prevent

: breast cancer. They also have chocolate soy-milk, for beginners. :) Take
: some adjustments.

: Sassy She-Spock
: Boldly Going Nowhere
: Two weeks, three days, 21 hours, 29 minutes and 32 seconds. 178 cigarettes

Barbara Weiss

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99

> But I read that vegetarian/vegan is the fastest growing segment in
> society, yet I have not a single friend who is vegetarian.......so
> where the heck are they?
> RK

California!

Jez

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
Sassy She-Spock wrote:

> Well, I'm not a vegetarian, but I have to start watching my diet. After
> only 18 days my pants are too tight and my ass moves in whatever direction
> it wants to when I walk.

You're lucky. I beep when I go backwards and have to have traffic
stopped when I walk onto busy junctions!

I so fat, people can see my butt from the front and I have more chins
than a Hongkong telephone directory. In fact when God was handing out
chins I thought he said "Gin" so I said I'd have a double.

Jez.
7m+fat

LorraineDP

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
>Learn how to sprout lentils. (Soooo hard!.....first you take a screen
>door............)

I've never heard of sprouting lentils. I love lentils. Can you tell how to do
this? I just got to know...

Lorraine

Sassy She-Spock

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99

> Sassy She-Spock <SassyS...@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:I2m24.76> good vegan recipes? Hopefully low-maintenance. :) Or

> maybe even a good
> > website that you use. Hmm, maybe we should start an AS3 cookbook .
> . .
>
> I have several ideas---

Mmm, I love babaganouj! And humus. Mmmmmmm. I've been getting braver
about trying new (and healthy) foods, so I better get some lentils and a
screen door. I'll have the first apartment door with a screen. My
neighbors are already wondering about me. Lentils actually have a different
trigger for me, my mother used to make a lentil soup with tons of garlic and
little pieces of kielbasa in it. There was a great Ukranian butcher not far
from us . . . Sigh. Kielbasa cravings of all things! Well, I quit smoking,
I can at least try a decreased-meat existence. Thanks for those recipes
(and sprouting instructions)! Sure sound good. Maybe I'll try finding some
Indian recipes too, lots of good dishes with chickpeas out there.

Sassy She-Spock
Boldly Going Nowhere

Two weeks, four days, 20 hours, 34 minutes and 36 seconds. 188 cigarettes
not smoked, saving $34.89. Life saved: 15 hours, 40 minutes.

Sassy She-Spock

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
Heeheehee. Thanks Jez. :)

Sassy She-Spock
Boldly Going Nowhere

Two weeks, four days, 20 hours, 36 minutes and 25 seconds. 188 cigarettes

not smoked, saving $34.89. Life saved: 15 hours, 40 minutes.

Jez <jez...@virgin.net> wrote in message

Marty Hillman

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
I hear someone say vegan and I wanna eat a whole cow in fromt of them.
Can't even drive by a dairy farm without my mouth watering.

Marty
(God! A steak sounds good right now.)

"Barbara Weiss" <bjw...@2Xtreme.net> wrote in message

Diane M

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
You think you're joking, but I travel in a circle of California eco-nerds and
I assure you I know a number of vegetarians of various ilks. When I was in
college and we had to take a potluck dish to a party, it was assumed that the
dish would be meatless. It is standard when having company for dinner for the
first time to ask if they are vegetarian, and to at least provide a vegetaran
alternative at a buffet or business lunch.

I'm not a vegetarion myself (and won't be until they come up with a vegan
alternative to prime rib. Mmmmm.) but I eat very little meat, and can throw
together a vegen meal with little effort. My favorite "complete protein" is a
split pea soup with rice seasoned with Marjoram that will knock your socks
off. :-)

Diane M. (It's part of living in Calfifornia, like hot tubs and birkenstocks)

Barbara Weiss

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
Diane,
Wasn't joking in the least! As a Californian......
thought it would be a kind of "stereotype" joke
for thems as is not in the golden state. Meself,
while not vegetarian, still only eat meat once
a week or so, fish once a week or so...rest of the
time it's the veggies, pastas and legumes for me!
I just feel better....and besides it's also economical to
eat vegetables in California. Learned many years
ago that you can take home tons of your own food
from a pot-luck unless you bring something meatless.

Barbara

Diane M wrote:

> You think you're joking, but I travel in a circle of California eco-nerds and

> I assure you I know a number of vegetarians of various ilks. (snip)

Marty Hillman

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
I on the other hand take jambalaya to pitch-ins (or potlucks for you
Minnesotans out there that laugh every time I say pitch-in. You people are
weird. No offense.) I make it with four pounds of sausage and a pound of
have. Guess you can tell I am not Jewish. :)

Marty

"Diane M" <di...@succeed.net> wrote in message

> You think you're joking, but I travel in a circle of California eco-nerds
and

Diane M

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
Betcha my Jambalaya Recipe is better than yours!!! And healthier, too. :-)

Diane M. (Jambalaya if my favorite "company" recipe for non-vegetarians)

Marty Hillman wrote:

> I on the other hand take jambalaya to pitch-ins (or potlucks for you
> Minnesotans out there that laugh every time I say pitch-in. You people are
> weird. No offense.) I make it with four pounds of sausage and a pound of
> have. Guess you can tell I am not Jewish. :)
>
> Marty
>

> 6

Diane M

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
Come summer, we are having a Jambalaya cookoff!!

Diane M. (mine has LOTS of veges!)

Marty Hillman wrote:

> Betcha its not (transpose the space and 's' freely)

> Marty

DalStarGuy- Delicious golden snack cakes

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
In article <82c7j5$8ms$1...@news-01.meganews.com>,

"Roadkill" <mala...@internetcds.com> wrote:
>I have not a single friend who is vegetarian.......so
> where the heck are they?

Here's one! Here's one!
:::pointing at self:::::

Steve
I will quit smoking in 3 days, 5 hours, 45 minutes and 28 seconds.

--
"Twinkie Voodoo Technician
and shameless eater

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

DalStarGuy- Delicious golden snack cakes

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
In article <tCG24.115$4J2....@news7.onvoy.net>,
"Marty Hillman" <mhil...@rea-alp.com> callously banged on his
keyboard until the following spilled out:

> I hear someone say vegan and I wanna eat a whole cow in fromt of them.

Gee, isn't that like a git saying " I hear someone say they quit smoking
and I wanna smoke a whole pack in front of them."?

Hmmmmph.
Steve
(who chooses not to eat meat. not one bite.)

Marty Hillman

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99

> Betcha my Jambalaya Recipe is better than yours!!! And healthier, too.
:-)

> Diane M. (Jambalaya if my favorite "company" recipe for non-vegetarians)

DalStarGuy- Delicious golden snack cakes

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
In article <I2m24.76$yZ6....@typhoon.nyu.edu>,
"Sassy She-Spock" <SassyS...@aol.com> wrote:

> So, I was wondering if you could recommend
any
> good vegan recipes?

Well, Sas, first you should take "baby steps" Vegan is a very different
animal than vegetarian. I personally am a vegetarian. Vegans eat
absolutley no animal products at all, and typically are the people that
make others wary of vegetarians in general. No cheese, Milk, Dairy even
Honey is off limits to the true vegan. Try Vegetarian first, just avoid
all red meat for a month or so to prepare. Then cut out the poultry and
fish. After a very short time, maybe a month or so, you will be able to
tell a drastic difference in your energy level, and general feeling of
better health. I promise you will tell how bad meat is for you if you
slip up and eat a burger at this point, it will feel like a big lumpy
rock in your tummy. Your digestion (always a fun subject to discuss,
no?) will improve with every passing day, until things like heartburn
and indigestion will be a faint memory. Heres an extremely easy lasagna
recipe I use for company or whenever I want something in the fridge to
munch on for a few days:

Ingredients:
-one big box of those lasagna noodles. I like Barilla personally, but
whatever....
-One of those large styrofoam thingies full of baby portabello mushrooms
-A bundle of fresh spinach
-a couple of zucchinis or yellow squash. mix em up if ya want, I do
-A large jar of Ragu Chunky Garden Style Garden Medly (? I tink...garden
something)) Spagetti Sauce
-two small cans of tomato paste
-A large tub of Ricotta Cheese
-two bags of shredded Mozzerella cheese
-A clove of garlic
-the usual italian spices (oregano, basil, parsley)
-One of those wacky glass casserole dishes

(ok, I'm not one of those measuring cooks, I just wing it, so be patient
with my recipe......)

First mix some of the mozzerella and parsley with the ricotta and set
aside. mix it to where its kinda lumpy but still spreadable. You can
heat the ricotta just a LITTLE BIT in the microwave if it's really cold
and hard to mix. Mix the tomato paste in with the ragu, to thicken it
and add a little tomatoey flavor, then put in as much italian spice as
you might think you'd like to the sauce. Pour about a third of the sauce
in a seperate bowl. Clean and chop the spinach up into fairly smallish
bits and mix with the sauvce you set aside. You should have enough
spinach chopped and mixed to fill about an inch layer in the casserole
dish, so eyeball it and adjust if needed. Chop the zucchini or other
squash up rather finely, into 1/4-1/2 inch chunks. Boil your noodles
like it says on the box and drain appropriately. I find laying the
noodles out on waxedpaper is helpful to keep em from sticking together
or breaking. Use a spoon to just wet the bottom of the glass pan with
the unspinached sauce, then lay down your first layer of noodles. spread
about a half inch layer of your ricotta/mozz/parsley stuff over the
noodles and follow with a small amount of sauce. Next layer of noodles.
layer of spinach sauce stuff. Sprinkle mushrooms and squash pieces over
the spinach stuff. then continue to layer somewhat as so: Sauce.
Noodles. Cheese from the shredded bag. Sauce. Noodles. last of
mushrooms/squash/spinach. noodles. last of ricotta mixture. almost all
of the last of the sauce. squeeze the garlic through a press over the
whole thing for zest. last of the noodles topped with last of sauce
sprinkled with last of shredded cheese. I like to put a couple of pieces
of spinach leaf on to for decoration, if I'm going to serve it to
someone. Pop that bad boy in the oven for about an hour at @275-300,
pull out and let sit for about a half hourand as my four year old would
say : WA JAH! It's ready to go.

Steve

Sassy She-Spock

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99

Marty Hillman <mhil...@rea-alp.com> wrote in message

> I on the other hand take jambalaya to pitch-ins (or potlucks for you
> Minnesotans out there that laugh every time I say pitch-in. You people
are
> weird. No offense.) I make it with four pounds of sausage and a pound of
> have. Guess you can tell I am not Jewish. :)
>
> Marty

Marty Marty Marty, now you have to post the recipe!

Looking forward to seeing recipe,

Sassy She-Spock
Boldly Going Nowhere

Two weeks, six days, 6 hours, 42 minutes and 36 seconds. 202 cigarettes not
smoked, saving $37.52. Life saved: 16 hours, 50 minutes.

Sassy She-Spock

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99

> Betcha my Jambalaya Recipe is better than yours!!! And healthier, too.
:-)

> Diane M. (Jambalaya if my favorite "company" recipe for non-vegetarians)

Same goes for you as does for Marty, recipe please! I actually am intrigued
how one could make a good vegetarian jambalaya.

Drooling in advance,

Sassy She-Spock
Boldly Going Nowhere

Two weeks, six days, 6 hours, 43 minutes and 55 seconds. 202 cigarettes not

Marty Hillman

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Ok. Maybe healthier, but not better.

> Betcha its not (transpose the space and 's' freely)
>
> Marty
>

> "Diane M" <di...@succeed.net> wrote in message
> > Betcha my Jambalaya Recipe is better than yours!!! And healthier, too.
> :-)
> >
> > Diane M. (Jambalaya if my favorite "company" recipe for
non-vegetarians)

> > Marty Hillman wrote:
> > >
> > > I on the other hand take jambalaya to pitch-ins (or potlucks for you
> > > Minnesotans out there that laugh every time I say pitch-in. You
people
> are
> > > weird. No offense.) I make it with four pounds of sausage and a
pound
> of
> > > have. Guess you can tell I am not Jewish. :)
> > >
> > > Marty
> > >

> > > 6

Marty Hillman

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Tomorrow my dear. Just remind me since I KNOW I will forget.

> Marty Hillman <mhil...@rea-alp.com> wrote in message

> > I on the other hand take jambalaya to pitch-ins (or potlucks for you
> > Minnesotans out there that laugh every time I say pitch-in. You people
> are
> > weird. No offense.) I make it with four pounds of sausage and a pound
of
> > have. Guess you can tell I am not Jewish. :)
> >
> > Marty
>

> Marty Marty Marty, now you have to post the recipe!
>
> Looking forward to seeing recipe,

> Sassy She-Spock
> Boldly Going Nowhere

> Two weeks, six days, 6 hours, 42 minutes and 36 seconds. 202 cigarettes

Marty Hillman

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
I;d like the answer to that one myself.

> Diane M <di...@succeed.net> wrote in message
> > Betcha my Jambalaya Recipe is better than yours!!! And healthier, too.
> :-)
> >
> > Diane M. (Jambalaya if my favorite "company" recipe for
non-vegetarians)

> Same goes for you as does for Marty, recipe please! I actually am
intrigued
> how one could make a good vegetarian jambalaya.
>
> Drooling in advance,

> Sassy She-Spock
> Boldly Going Nowhere

> Two weeks, six days, 6 hours, 43 minutes and 55 seconds. 202 cigarettes

Joe Laughter

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Are you folks talking about food here? It don't sound like food...
Lemme check---
food (fád) n.
1. Material, usually of plant or animal origin, that contains or consists
of essential body nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins,
vitamins, or minerals, and is ingested and assimilated by an organism to
produce energy, stimulate growth, and maintain life.
2. A specified kind of nourishment.
3. Nourishment eaten in solid form.
4. Something that nourishes or sustains in a way suggestive of physical
nourishment.

Huh. Guess you are talking about food, it the LOWEST sense of the word.
Carry on!

Joe, --Meat; the food for the top of the food chain!

In article <94234.275$4J2....@news7.onvoy.net>, "Marty Hillman"
<mhil...@rea-alp.com> wrote:

> Ok. Maybe healthier, but not better.
>

> "Marty Hillman" <mhil...@rea-alp.com> wrote in message

> > Betcha its not (transpose the space and 's' freely)
> >
> > Marty
> >

> > "Diane M" <di...@succeed.net> wrote in message
> > > Betcha my Jambalaya Recipe is better than yours!!! And healthier, too.
> > :-)
> > >
> > > Diane M. (Jambalaya if my favorite "company" recipe for
> non-vegetarians)

> people
> > are
> pound
> > of

Barbara Weiss

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
What's "have" ???

Barbara

Marty Hillman wrote:

> snip) I make it with four pounds of sausage and a pound of
> have. (snip
>
> Marty

Sassy She-Spock

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Is it tomorrow yet?

Sassy She-Spock
Boldly Going Nowhere

Two weeks, six days, 18 hours, 48 minutes and 36 seconds. 207 cigarettes not
smoked, saving $38.45. Life saved: 17 hours, 15 minutes.

> Tomorrow my dear. Just remind me since I KNOW I will forget.
>

> "Sassy She-Spock" <SassyS...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > Marty Hillman <mhil...@rea-alp.com> wrote in message

> > > I on the other hand take jambalaya to pitch-ins (or potlucks for you
> > > Minnesotans out there that laugh every time I say pitch-in. You
people
> > are

> > > weird. No offense.) I make it with four pounds of sausage and a
pound
> of

> > > have. Guess you can tell I am not Jewish. :)
> > >
> > > Marty
> >

> > Marty Marty Marty, now you have to post the recipe!
> >
> > Looking forward to seeing recipe,

> > Sassy She-Spock
> > Boldly Going Nowhere

> > Two weeks, six days, 6 hours, 42 minutes and 36 seconds. 202 cigarettes

Joe Laughter

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
In article <QFc34.62$R_3....@typhoon.nyu.edu>, "Sassy She-Spock"
<SassyS...@aol.com> wrote:

> Is it tomorrow yet?
>
> Sassy She-Spock
> Boldly Going Nowhere
> Two weeks, six days, 18 hours, 48 minutes and 36 seconds. 207 cigarettes not
> smoked, saving $38.45. Life saved: 17 hours, 15 minutes.

Not yet Sassy. Hang in there!
Joe

Diane M

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
This is not vegetarian. I've tried to make it vegetarian, but the sausage
flavoring has been wrong every time. Maybe somewhere there is a meatless
sausage that tastes truly Cajun, but I can't find it in Marysville - and this
recipe is very much influenced by the sausage flavoring. I would be happy for
input in that direction, since this would be a fun dish to take to parties.

1 lb each medium shrimp, chicken breast (cut in strips) and Cajun Hot Sausage
(prefereably lowfat,.sliced)
2-3 each red bell peppers, green bell peppers, and medium onions, very coarsly chopped
1-2 jalapenos (with or without seeds, depending on your tolerance level and
it's heat, sliced)
3 T dried or 1/2 C fresh thyme
3-4 cloves garlic
About 6-10 C chicken or vegetable stock

4 C rice (measured raw, cooked in 6C water)
3 lbs tomatoes, coarsly chopped

Cook chicken and sausage in very large skillet. I use my Magnalite 12" x 4"
deep frypan. Add shrimp, veges, and thyme, and cook together for about 5
minutes. Then add stock and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 of
rice and simmer another 1/2 hour. Add more stock if necessary to cover rice.
Then add tomatoes and cook about 15 minutes. Serve on large platter on bed
of remaining rice. This recipe will make enough for about 8 moderate eaters,
it goes fast. If you are serving this for a smaller group, then make the full
recipe and keep in fridge with the rice mixed in and have for lunches. It's
even better the second day. Enjoy.

Diane M.

Sassy She-Spock wrote:

> Diane M <di...@succeed.net> wrote in message
> > Betcha my Jambalaya Recipe is better than yours!!! And healthier, too.
> :-)
> >
> > Diane M. (Jambalaya if my favorite "company" recipe for non-vegetarians)
>

> Same goes for you as does for Marty, recipe please! I actually am intrigued
> how one could make a good vegetarian jambalaya.
>
> Drooling in advance,

> Sassy She-Spock
> Boldly Going Nowhere

> Two weeks, six days, 6 hours, 43 minutes and 55 seconds. 202 cigarettes not

Diane M

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Check out the Moosewood Cookbook, or Diet for a Small Planet. They are not
vegan, but they will get you started in a vegetarain direction.

Diane M. 4M+

Sassy She-Spock wrote:

> Well, I'm not a vegetarian, but I have to start watching my diet. After
> only 18 days my pants are too tight and my ass moves in whatever direction

> it wants to when I walk. So, I was wondering if you could recommend any

> good vegan recipes? Hopefully low-maintenance. :) Or maybe even a good
> website that you use. Hmm, maybe we should start an AS3 cookbook . . .
>

> Wiping flour from her forehead,

> Sassy She-Spock
> Boldly Going Nowhere

> Two weeks, four days, 4 hours, 39 minutes and 59 seconds. 181 cigarettes not
> smoked, saving $33.66. Life saved: 15 hours, 5 minutes.

> Roadkill <mala...@internetcds.com> wrote in message

> > what has me curious, is I'm noticing more & more shelf space being
> > devoted to health/vegetarian items.
> > Let's face it--where I live is Not the cutting edge of change...

> > But I read that vegetarian/vegan is the fastest growing segment in

> > society, yet I have not a single friend who is vegetarian.......so

> > where the heck are they?

> > RK

Marty Hillman

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Ham. Typo city!

That is what I get for not proofreading anything.

> What's "have" ???
>
> Barbara
>
> Marty Hillman wrote:
>

> > snip) I make it with four pounds of sausage and a pound of
> > have. (snip
> >
> > Marty

Marty Hillman

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Here are my modifications. I refuse to eat anything that swims, so the
shrimp is out. Mine is easier to make.

4 lb Cajun Hot Sausage, Polska Kielbasa or any other type of sausage you can
find. I usually use no less that 4 different kinds. Cut into bite sized
pieces.
2 each red bell peppers, green bell peppers, and yellow peppers
2 large onions
1 bunch green onions diced
1 or 2 dried chilis (habaneros! Mmmmm) optional
1 cup parsley
1/4 cup oregano
4 - 6 cloves garlic crushed
2 cans dices tomatoes
2 cans tomato sauce
2 small cans tomato paste
1 tsp beef boullion
1 tsp to 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp habanero sauce

Dice everything and throw it into a slow cooker on low for 8 hours or high
for four hours. Done. Serve over rice.

Sassy She-Spock

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Mmmm, a man after my own heart, love kielbasa. Polish is best, but there's
a Hungarian butcher near me that has a nice hot & spicy hungarian style
kielbasa that is killer in cooking.

Every time I think about the vegetarian lifestyle, they keep draggggging me
back! Thanks Marty, sounds good. :)

Licking lips,

Sassy She-Spock
Boldly Going Nowhere

Three weeks, 2 hours, 15 minutes and 14 seconds. 210 cigarettes not smoked,
saving $39.02. Life saved: 17 hours, 30 minutes.

Marty Hillman <mhil...@rea-alp.com> wrote in message

Sassy She-Spock

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Mmmm, lick, slurp, yum, this sounds reallllly good. I think you and Marty
definitely need to have a cookoff, because if I make both versions myself
I'll be eating Jambalaya for a looong time. Although, is that really such a
bad thing? I mean, do I really want to fit into my clothes that badly?

Thanks Diane!

Chomp, slurp, mmm, unga unga,

Sassy She-Spock
Boldly Going Nowhere

Three weeks, 2 hours, 17 minutes and 55 seconds. 210 cigarettes not smoked,
saving $39.03. Life saved: 17 hours, 30 minutes.

> > Sassy She-Spock
> > Boldly Going Nowhere

Marty Hillman

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
All the capsacin from the peppers is healthy. It lowers that bad
cholesterol (although you probably make up for it with the sausage).

I am starved just thinking about it. Diane's sounds good too, but like I
said, I don't eat anything that swims.

"Sassy She-Spock" <SassyS...@aol.com> wrote in message

Marty Hillman

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
You really have to send me some. Sounds delicious.

"Sassy She-Spock" <SassyS...@aol.com> wrote in message

Diane M

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
I have to admit, you'rs sounds good too, but 5 lbs of sausage and ham? Good
grief, my arteries started hardening just reading the recipe. <g>

Diane M.

Marty Hillman wrote:

> All the capsacin from the peppers is healthy. It lowers that bad
> cholesterol (although you probably make up for it with the sausage).
>
> I am starved just thinking about it. Diane's sounds good too, but like I
> said, I don't eat anything that swims.

Marty Hillman

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Yeah, but it serves several people or one Peruvian. That was not a slam. I
have a friend from Peru (his wife from Argentina) who just loves spicy food.
I had them over for dinner one night having made six to eight quarts of the
stuff. I didn't have anything left when he went home. I was really
impressed.

"Diane M" <di...@succeed.net> wrote in message

Sassy She-Spock

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99

> All the capsacin from the peppers is healthy. It lowers that bad
> cholesterol (although you probably make up for it with the sausage).
>
> I am starved just thinking about it. Diane's sounds good too, but like I
> said, I don't eat anything that swims.

My ice cream just doesn't cut it when I'm craving jambalaya.

Ok, when you mention it once, I let it go. When you mention it twice, it
begs a question: WHY don't you eat anything that swims? Strict
meatatarianism?

Thinks few things beat a good shrimp cocktail,

Sassy She-Spock
Boldly Going Nowhere

Three weeks, 4 hours, 4 minutes and 51 seconds. 211 cigarettes not smoked,
saving $39.16. Life saved: 17 hours, 35 minutes.

Marty Hillman

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Just never have had the taste for seafood. I never intended it to be just
things that swim, but I eat anything else. I can handle clam chowder and
tuna salad, but those really don't count.

Glad yo see you didn't take this the other direction. ;-)

You can try sprinkling the ice cream with cayenne pepper. Wish I had some
ice cream sitting around, but all I have is movie theatre butter flavoured
popcorn to annoy the neighbors with. It is fun to pop a bag and listen to
the neighbors kids whine for the rest of the evening. God, I am evil!

MArty

"Sassy She-Spock" <SassyS...@aol.com> wrote in message

Marty Hillman

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Wouldn't be opposed to eating a little whale. (Just kidding folks)

carol...@pop.tcsn.uswest.net

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
I insist on being one of the judges. Now that my senses of taste and smell
are returning, I should be an ideal judge of Jambalaya! "Goodbye, Joe, me gotta
go, me, oh my-o..."
Ah, heck, I ain't going there!
Carolyn, who still loves Hank Williams, and The Clash, and The Jayhawks,
and The Cocteau Twins, and Dead Can Dance, and Hoyt Axton, and...and...and...

Diane M wrote:

> Come summer, we are having a Jambalaya cookoff!!
>
> Diane M. (mine has LOTS of veges!)

> Marty Hillman wrote:
> >
> > Betcha its not (transpose the space and 's' freely)
> >
> > Marty

Marty Hillman

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Thankfully, I don't have any rug rats. Everything in its proper order.

"Donna" <do...@playernet.net> wrote in message
> Marty Hillman said "It is fun to pop a bag and listen to

> > the neighbors kids whine for the rest of the evening."
>

> It's even better to pop it and let your own kid whine for the rest of the
> evening
>
> Donna
> I have chosen not to smoke for 3 Days 23 Hours 24 Minutes 3 Seconds.
> Cigarettes not smoked: 151. Money saved: C$34.74.

carol...@pop.tcsn.uswest.net

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Regarding the butter-type, we love to pop it at work and watch all the
rest of the employees come into our office, all following the smell of the
popcorn. Just like the cartoon characters following the smell of a fresh
pie. Speaking of which, I'm going to eat the last slice of Mom's apple
pie--then I get to beg her to make another. Handy having a great cook right
across the street!
Carolyn, munching down in The Old Pueblo

Sassy She-Spock

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Are you having it a la mode?

Eating vicariously through Carolyn,

Sassy She-Spock
Boldly Going Nowhere

Three weeks, one day, 4 hours, 1 minute and 14 seconds. 221 cigarettes not
smoked, saving $41.01. Life saved: 18 hours, 25 minutes.

<carol...@pop.tcsn.uswest.net> wrote in message

Marty Hillman

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
No preference.

> You prefer medium or full-blown spicy?
>
> I once had some leftover chicken. Threw it in a pan with water, onions,
> peppers, then added some of this spicy hungarian kielbasa stuff . .
.didn't
> even have to season it other than a bay leaf, and a little extra fresh
> garlic. Tasted great over steamed potatoes, was like some spicy hunter's
> stew or something.
>
> Hunting down the wild kielbasa,

> Sassy She-Spock
> Boldly Going Nowhere

> Three weeks, 5 hours, 47 minutes and 8 seconds. 212 cigarettes not smoked,
> saving $39.30. Life saved: 17 hours, 40 minutes.

> Marty Hillman <mhil...@rea-alp.com> wrote in message

> > You really have to send me some. Sounds delicious.

Marty Hillman

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Popcorn a la mode? Interesting, but I think even I will pass on this
craving.

> Are you having it a la mode?
>
> Eating vicariously through Carolyn,

> Sassy She-Spock
> Boldly Going Nowhere

J. Edward Bernard

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
<carol...@pop.tcsn.uswest.net> wrote in message
> Regarding the butter-type, we love to pop it at work and watch all the
> rest of the employees come into our office, all following the smell of the
> popcorn. Just like the cartoon characters following the smell of a fresh
> pie. Speaking of which, I'm going to eat the last slice of Mom's apple
> pie--then I get to beg her to make another. Handy having a great cook
right
> across the street!
> Carolyn, munching down in The Old Pueblo

Mmmmmmmmmm... Hot apple pie.........scoop of ice cream....... mmmmmmmm... I
think I'm feeling something here...

Eddie
...who can now appreciate it even more because the Taste Bud Troops are out
in full brigade...

Tammy Mcniff

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Roadkill wrote:
:> But I read that vegetarian/vegan is the fastest growing segment in

:> society, yet I have not a single friend who is vegetarian.......so
:> where the heck are they?
:> RK

Barbara Weiss <bjw...@2xtreme.net> wrote:
: California!

DAVIS, California!!

Tammy, Carnivore, Veggivore, Omnivore
3M+

J. Edward Bernard

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
> Roadkill wrote:
> :> But I read that vegetarian/vegan is the fastest growing segment in
> :> society, yet I have not a single friend who is vegetarian.......so
> :> where the heck are they?
> :> RK

Reminds me of something I read in one of our internal newsgroups recently:

"I have a friend who's a vegetarian. It's not that he loves animals, he
just hates plants."

Cracked me up then, and I still chuckle at it.

Eddie
...Canuck Carnivore...

Sassy She-Spock

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
I wish I could say that sounded disgusting . . . give me a few more weeks.

Sugar and salt, yum ummumm,

Sassy She-Spock
Boldly Going Nowhere

Three weeks, one day, 22 hours, 44 minutes and 0 seconds. 229 cigarettes not
smoked, saving $42.45. Life saved: 19 hours, 5 minutes.

> Popcorn a la mode? Interesting, but I think even I will pass on this
> craving.
>
> "Sassy She-Spock" <SassyS...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Are you having it a la mode?
> >
> > Eating vicariously through Carolyn,
> > Sassy She-Spock
> > Boldly Going Nowhere
> > Three weeks, one day, 4 hours, 1 minute and 14 seconds. 221 cigarettes
not
> > smoked, saving $41.01. Life saved: 18 hours, 25 minutes.
> >

> > <carol...@pop.tcsn.uswest.net> wrote in message
> > > Regarding the butter-type, we love to pop it at work and watch all
> the
> > > rest of the employees come into our office, all following the smell of
> the
> > > popcorn. Just like the cartoon characters following the smell of a
> fresh
> > > pie. Speaking of which, I'm going to eat the last slice of Mom's
apple
> > > pie--then I get to beg her to make another. Handy having a great cook
> > right
> > > across the street!
> > > Carolyn, munching down in The Old Pueblo

carol...@pop.tcsn.uswest.net

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Is there any other way? Actually, it's quite good for breakfast, though Mom
threatens to quit making them when I tell her that's when I like it best. :-))
Carolyn

carol...@pop.tcsn.uswest.net

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
You know, Eddie, one of the nicest things about my quit so far has been a
renewed sense of taste! I suspect that one reason I don't gain much weight is
that a small amount of anything suffices. The exception seems to be coffee.
Though I do drink less coffee than before I quit, I still love the taste and
drink 10 to 14 cups per day.
I sure hope you are enjoying that aspect of your quit. The grim aspects are
so awful at first, I was really grateful for the blessings. Now that I see more
daylight than dark every day, I still find great pleasure in the taste and smell
of everything. Even my "stink can" where I put the butts from the last week of
smoking. Every once in a while I pop that open, especially when I start to
think that *just one* would really taste good. Knowing that it will taste just
like that can of butts smells is enough to turn off even the most hardened
smoker!
Thanks for the diversions, Eddie. We need all we can get!
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo, trying to avoid the trolls and still
communicate with friends.