Black cross-dressing queer Bee Love Slater found burned to death in Florida

Barack O'Cumswallower

Oct 12, 2019, 10:40:03 AM10/12/19
The body of a black transgender woman was recovered from a
torched car in Clewiston, Florida, last week. According to the
Human Rights Campaign, Bee Love Slater is the 18th transgender
woman to be killed in 2019.

Hendry County investigators identified 23-year-old Slater
several days after recovering her body from her burned vehicle,
CBS Fort Myers affiliate WINK reports. Captain Susan Harelle
said the body was burned beyond recognition.

The investigation is ongoing and the Sheriff's Office said it
could not be confirmed as a hate crime until a clear motive is
found. But Love's best friend, Kenard Wade, said Slater was
targeted as a member of the LGBTQ community.

''She had a really, really good heart," Wade told Wink. "She
would never harm anyone, never put anyone in harm's way. How
could someone go to that extreme to get rid of her?"

According to Wade, Slater had received threats the night of the
fire. She told him over text that she wanted to leave town to
avoid trouble.

"Bee love was kind to everyone she came in contact with and her
presence touched me for just the four months that I shared with
her was amazing!" Dezmond Bass, who helped coordinate Slater's
candlelight vigil, wrote on Facebook.

Slater's death highlights an ongoing trend of violence against
transgender people. Slater is the 18th known transgender woman
to be murdered this year, the HRC said. Last year, at least 26
transgender people were killed; in 2017, that number reached a
record high of at least 29 deaths.

Florida's hate crime laws do not specifically support
transgender individuals and there are no protections at the
federal level. The Trump administration continues to roll back
key safeguards for the LGBTQ community.

"Our society needs to work to ensure transpeople can live
without fear," The ACLU of Florida said Thursday.

The week of Slater's death, 17-year-old Bailey Reeves, a
transgender woman from Baltimore, was shot and killed on Labor
Day. It was the fifth shooting of the night, police said.

TransgenderLawCenter
?
@TransLawCenter
As we gather at convenings and community spaces, our sisters are
in constant danger. This is why we fight—so Bee and Bailey,
taken from us just this week, aren’t forgotten. We never forget
why we do this work: to keep our people alive, thriving, and
fighting for liberation.

View image on Twitter
839
2:39 PM - Sep 6, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
395 people are talking about this
In June, the American Medical Association called fatal attacks
against transgender people of color an "epidemic." It proposed a
plan to combat the violence, including educating people on the
shocking statistics of these hate crimes, advocating for
stronger law enforcement policies and increasing access to
mental health treatment for LGBTQ individuals.

"According to available tracking, fatal anti-transgender
violence in the U.S. is on the rise and most victims were black
transgender women," said AMA Board Member S. Bobby Mukkamala,
M.D. "The number of victims could be even higher due to
underreporting and better data collection by law enforcement is
needed to create strategies that will prevent anti-transgender
violence."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/black-transgender-woman-bee-love-
slater-found-burned-to-death-in-florida-2019-09-14/?intcid=CNI-
00-10aaa3b