Dermatographism

Perry

Sep 23, 2003, 7:18:57 AM9/23/03

Are there any sufferers from this disease? If so, what are your symptoms?
Have been diagnosed with this diseave but my symptoms don't match what I
read in the internet. This is the second dermatologist I see, the first one
I saw said I had eczema.

Perry

No Kidding!

Sep 23, 2003, 5:19:39 PM9/23/03
Is this where you scratch yourself and leave welts behind?

I had a version of this over the summer. I thought it was an allergic
reacton because I itched a lot and I had a blotch on my back that the doctor
said was a mastocytoma. He gave me antihistamines for 3 weeks, which
lightened it, but it is still there. My skin is not as sensitive, though.
NK

"Perry" <mc10...@67.85.214.247> wrote in message

Perry

Sep 24, 2003, 11:10:31 AM9/24/03
Hi no kidding,

Thanks for the reply. Yes Dermatographism is supposed to cause itching,
however, I have no itching, only rashes that burn. This is what the
dermatologist diagnosed me as having. I have a feeling that I'm being
misdiagnosed again.

I wanted to know if may be other people would have the same symptoms than me
and being diagnosed with Dermatographism.

Perry

"No Kidding!" <noki...@ria.net(NOSPAMPLEASE)> wrote in message

No Kidding!

Sep 25, 2003, 7:50:02 PM9/25/03
Skin is not my speciality but I do work in a hospital.
I was under the impression that dermatographism was more of a symptom, not a
diagnosis.

I would imagine there is something else that is causing the dermatographism.
In my case it was allergies & a mastocytoma.
NK

"Perry" <mc10...@67.85.214.247> wrote in message

Perry

Sep 26, 2003, 9:41:04 AM9/26/03
Thanks no kidding. This is what I was looking for.

Perry

"No Kidding!" <noki...@ria.net(NOSPAMPLEASE)> wrote in message

LaurenKeebs

Oct 24, 2004, 2:42:34 AM10/24/04
I have been diagnosed with this also...I itch all the time though. I
actually get hives from pressure or temperature change is applied to my
skin. A dematologist once told me not to jump into a cold pool on a hot
day because that could kill me..he said I would turn into one big hive
which is my body's "shock"....the thing is I itch ALL the time. I am
currently taking 180 mg of allegra in the morning and 60 at night...if I
don't take it I literally would be out of my mind. When I take the rxs I
break out less in hives and the itch goes away faster, but even when I
take them...I still feel an inside of my skin itch...I notice it mostly on
my scalp, chest, and wrists...like thinner skin areas..it's just weird to
me...I want to know how to cure it..not just how to stop the itch..all the
dr's seem to want me to do is stay on meds the rest of my life. This all
came out of nowhere like 7 years ago and I've been an allegra junkie ever
since...

Littlewedding

Oct 24, 2004, 11:07:15 AM10/24/04
HI Laura
My namen is Karen I have suffered from weird itching for 20 years.
I don't get rashes like with hives I just itch all the time, but it's worse on
my upper arms.
I have never been able to get a diagnosis..... couldn't get a doc to take it
seriously.
Can you tell me about allegra, and how you got your diagnosos I am currently
compiling case notes to present to a consultant dermatologist.
There are lots of us out there .......... all suffering and having our lives
ruled by the freak itch!!!!!
Please keep in touch and let me know what area and country you live in.
Karen
West Mids
UK

I.A. Manny

Oct 26, 2004, 11:14:00 AM10/26/04
Dear Laura, You are not alone. I tried to write you at home but it
returned to me. Because you saidof head itch and under skin tickle.
Finally someone else that has this. (I think I have it all)
I have upper arm itch that started it all many many years ago. I'm
basically a "mess" at times, due to this hive thing.
You can write me at home anytime. I'm just sitting here scratching!!!!!!

Ina Manny

LaurenKeebs

Oct 26, 2004, 11:51:46 PM10/26/04
During the winter of my junior year of high school..I noticed this
incredible itch on my arms (elbow and up) during my classes..usually in
this certain room that was a colder class room...the more I rubbed and
scratched the more it itched..I thought I was allergic to my detergent or
something...but I switched and it never went away. Finally I went to my
doctor because by this point I could not concentrate in school...I would
itch soooo bad. She had me see a dermatologist who lightly scratched my
arm like a tic tac toe game..I immediately broke out into hives in that
shape...they put me on Zrtec (something like that) but that made me very
very drowzy so they put me on allegra...it's suppose to help with all
kinds of allergies I guess...Scratch your skin once does it rise at all?
or itch more in that area?

LaurenKeebs

Oct 27, 2004, 12:03:24 AM10/27/04
My email should be working now sorry..I'm not sure why it would be returned
to you. I'm so glad you all replied to my message..it really made my week
knowing I'm not alone...it's kind of scary in a way because I think that
there must be a bigger problem with me and what if I'm making it worse by
not doing something to cure it now...it has nothing to do with what I eat
or drink or touch...how rdumb it that? Have you guys heard of something
called Homeopathy? I found it on the internet it's about natural healing
like we want..but I think it's probably a scam..I also looked that info
up...I just wanted to know if you all had come across it.

LaurenKeebs

Oct 27, 2004, 6:17:50 PM10/27/04
This is how I would describe my symptoms and treaments:

Symptons: constant itching (for me mostly on my neck/chest, scalp, face
and arms), constant tickling under the skin, skin breaking out in hives
from contact or temperature change, hives are not as big, and go away
faster, and don't itch as much if on some type of allergy meds. Little
things bother my skin like a small piece of my hair hanging on to my face
or shoulder.

Treatments: Zyertc , Benydiril (both too drowzy), Claritin (didn't work)
and others...currently Allegra 180mg am and 60mg pm..and counting..I seem
to need more and more as time goes on..original dose of Allegra was 180mg
in am.

rescue362

Oct 27, 2004, 9:30:18 PM10/27/04
I believe my daughter suffers from this. Have not gotten to the doctor yet.
Im a paramedic student, and have been trying to figure out what has been
going on w/my daughter. She is 16 and has all the signs/symptoms of this i
believe. I wanted to know if this condition is all the time or does it
come and go? She can be sitting reading and just start to itch and can
then draw her name on her skin. Her skin will breakout wherever she
touches at that time. Does this sound like the same thing you are going
through? We have also tracked all her food/laundry and anything else that
it could be. Please let me know your thoughts?

rescue362

Oct 27, 2004, 9:30:42 PM10/27/04

LaurenKeebs

Oct 27, 2004, 11:29:19 PM10/27/04
I would describe this condition as a constant itch, but more noticeable at
times...when something has "annoyed" my skin..like hair touching my
face...other people's touch...or when I exercise (hot) or am
cold..(temperature changes)...But, yes I do experience this when I'm
sitting as still as I can..the truth is I can't sit that still...I always
have an itch..I think you just realize your itching some of the time. I
was around 16 when I started experiencing this...it has nothing to do with
laundry detergent or moisturizing your skin. This is coming from the
inside..her skin is not allergic to things that come in contact with
her...I've read about this and it seems that the problem is that somehow
we're managed to screw up our nervous system..our body doesn't react
appropriately to the environment..like they say on that homeopathy sire I
mentioned...who knows if that works though...does she take anything right
now? I would be out of my mind!!!! I would say take her to a dermatologist
and ask them how to fix this…demand that they just don’t put her on
meds…too many drs want to give us drugs and cover the real problem.

LaurenKeebs

Oct 27, 2004, 11:31:03 PM10/27/04

LaurenKeebs

Oct 27, 2004, 11:37:34 PM10/27/04
.one more thing..someone from another message board referred me to this
website www.neuromodulationtechnique.com. She said she had some kind of
freaking thing not exactly like this but kind of the same weirdness. SHe
said she has received 2 treaments and it's working. I haven't had the time
to really look into it yet. But, it sounds good.

rescue362

Oct 28, 2004, 2:09:55 PM10/28/04
Thank you for the information, and I will keep researching.

lyndie

Oct 28, 2004, 10:57:08 PM10/28/04
HI,
I tried to email you but this website does not provide your complete email
address... anyway, I hope you recieve this reply. My daughter, who is 9
years old, started getting this rash in March of this year. I took her to
her pediatrician, who diagnosed her with dermatograhism. I then took her
to an allergist who ran all kinds of tests on her only to find out they
could not tell what she was allergic to. Later I found out that allergy
tests cannot be determined for people who suffer from this. He put her on
Zyrtec, which has helped tremendously, although I would like to know whay
causes this. You are the only person I have seen on a website with a
daughter who suffers from this so I thought we could keep in contact.
Please reply.
Jeanne

lyndie

Oct 28, 2004, 10:59:23 PM10/28/04

LaurenKeebs

Oct 29, 2004, 12:17:41 AM10/29/04
This may be totally unrelated, but do any of you, or your children
experience "night terrors". While I was itching myself to sleep last night
I was thinking.. I started having this problem at the same time I started
experiencing "night terrors." It might be totally unrelated, but who knows
at this point just wondering....Maybe I'm trying to hard to connect things.

Dawson Fowler

Nov 20, 2022, 9:55:41 PM11/20/22
hello all, my name is Dawson im 22 and have had what i thought were chronic hives but i saw a new allergist and she had dermographia and as i was arguing and telling her i didn't think i had it she took my arm and wrote hello with a popsicle stick very lightly and immediately started laughing as my arm welted up saying hello. The doctor said i had the worst case of dermographia she had ever seen and asked if her med students could come and see the amount of swelling. (i was used as training during my scratch test for allergies to test against a positive negative control scratch) i was wondering if anyone had found anything that helps the itching and or swelling? outside of drugs and simply living a careful life to not get scratched.

i have had this for about 2 years now and am very tired of being swollen all the time on my hands and feet from putting pressure on them. anything that helps would be very very welcome.

Dawson Fowler

Nov 20, 2022, 9:59:56 PM11/20/22
On Thursday, October 28, 2004 at 11:17:41 PM UTC-5, LaurenKeebs wrote:
Hello Lauren, actually i had night terrors in the past when i was 15 - 17 from my limited research and experiences, i know that the itching and swelling gets substantially worse when i am stressed or depressed, which is what was causing my night terrors as a child. i know it sounds cliche but honestly simple meditation and taking time to do nothing cured my night terrors and helps with the itching if i do it most days. 30 or so minutes is fine, just clear your head and allow any thoughts to come and go don't focus on trying to have a clear mind just observe the thoughts you are having and accept them.