The origin of alt.support.shyness (was: New to group)

已查看 13 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Hunt the Wumpus

未读,
1998年6月24日 03:00:001998/6/24
收件人

anon-...@anon.twwells.com (JB) wrote:

> Welcome to the group! That's how I felt when I found it too.
> I still don't know who started it. Maybe some of the old posters
> know? -JB

Ask and ye shall receive.

The control message to create alt.support.shyness was sent on
Monday, 18-Apr-1994 by a bloke named Dave DeLaney of the
University of Tennessee at Knoxville Physics Department, which
makes a.s.s. a pretty new group. Usenet itself started in 1979 at
the University of North Carolina. I started reading it in about
1983, at which time it was still small enough that an individual
could typically read every post to every group once daily in a
reasonable amount of time. Although I wasn't around at the very
beginning, I still have fond memories of how things were in the
early days. While obviously size and mass readership bring
certain benefits, they also take away others.

- Usenet History Wumpus -

--
For more information about this service, send e-mail to:
he...@anon.twwells.com -- for an automatically returned help message

Derick S.

未读,
1998年6月24日 03:00:001998/6/24
收件人

Hunt the Wumpus wrote:

# The control message to create alt.support.shyness was sent on
# Monday, 18-Apr-1994 by a bloke named Dave DeLaney of the
# University of Tennessee at Knoxville Physics Department, which
# makes a.s.s. a pretty new group. Usenet itself started in 1979 at
# the University of North Carolina. I started reading it in about
# 1983, at which time it was still small enough that an individual
# could typically read every post to every group once daily in a
# reasonable amount of time.

Just curious, but how long have you (and the others in here) been reading
alt.support.shyness?

I've been using the internet for about 2.5 to 3 years now but i didn't
start reading/posting in alt.support.shyness until August 1997. I wish i
had found this newsgroup sooner cuz i have found a lot of useful
information/advice in here. Unfortunately, i've been kind of slow at
actually doing anything in overcoming my shyness - knowing and doing are
two completely different things :-\

Laterz,
Derick

"You are what you do, not what you say."
Derick S. (a.k.a. dAirWreck on IRC) | "Things are not
rsor...@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu | always as they
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/7982/ | seem to appear"

Hunt the Wumpus

未读,
1998年6月24日 03:00:001998/6/24
收件人

rsor...@Do.Not.Spam.edu (Derick S.) writes:

> Just curious, but how long have you (and the others in here)
> been reading alt.support.shyness?

Since it existed, here. I read the first message posted to a.s.s.,
since I had noticed the newgroup go by and subscribed at that time.
(Although "first message" is a bit of a nebulous concept in a
distributed system like usenet, where every news server might have
a different view of the world).

- Wumpus -

Tom Castelli

未读,
1998年6月24日 03:00:001998/6/24
收件人 Derick S.

> Just curious, but how long have you (and the others in here) been reading
> alt.support.shyness?

I found a.s.s. shortly after getting my first internet account. I was looking
into
usenet newsgroups and at the back of the 1995 edition of the internet yellow
pages
(remember that book? no one needs it anymore now that we have search
engines...)
I found a listing for a.s.s. and I thought, "Whoa!! COOL!!!"

Ahh... I remember as if it were yesterday...
Something to the effect of...
"I'm 16, just finished my junior year of high school, and I'm extremely shy.
I've never had a girlfriend, and have never even been on a date. Heck, I
don't have very many guy friends either..."

Sheesh that was a long time ago... August something, 1995. I've come
a long way, baby, and I still have a long way to go...

--

E-mail or Usenet News Post from:

Tom Castelli ( tjc13 AT cornell DOT edu )
3596 Dickson Hall ( http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/tjc13 )
Cornell University ( hence the "cornell.edu" in my e-mail )
Ithaca, NY 14853-2401 ( ICQ # 3165211 )
[607] 253-0250 ( Engineering College, CS major, Class of 2000 )

Invsbl33

未读,
1998年6月25日 03:00:001998/6/25
收件人

In article <6mqa1k$k5g$1...@twwells.com>, anon-...@anon.twwells.com

(Hunt the Wumpus) writes:

>anon-...@anon.twwells.com (JB) wrote:
>
>> Welcome to the group! That's how I felt when I found it too.
>> I still don't know who started it. Maybe some of the old posters
>> know? -JB
>
>Ask and ye shall receive.
>

>The control message to create alt.support.shyness was sent on

>Monday, 18-Apr-1994 by a bloke named Dave DeLaney of the

>University of Tennessee at Knoxville Physics Department, which

>makes a.s.s. a pretty new group.

Huh, I thought it was older than that. I used to lurk quite a lot with
a Delphi account ( back when Delphi was text only , 2400 baud modem and all)
I found a log file of this group, dated Feb 1995, but I honestly don't
remember
when I found a.s.s. It seemed to be in full swing when I started reading it.
Of course you could read the whole group once a week then, and not miss
a thing.
Last year was the first time I ever posted here.

JoeDoe

invsbl33ATaolDOTcom

fred

未读,
1998年6月25日 03:00:001998/6/25
收件人 Derick S.

Hey. Wait a second here. I don't think that this newsgroup started in
1994. 'Cause I remember reading it back in '91 when I first got on the
net. Maybe I'm confused, somebody like Eric (Pepke|Praetzel) should
be able to confirm this.

Anyhow. That's about howlong I've been reading it. Since 1991. 7 years.

--fred

Derick S. wrote:

> Hunt the Wumpus wrote:
>
> # The control message to create alt.support.shyness was sent on
> # Monday, 18-Apr-1994 by a bloke named Dave DeLaney of the
> # University of Tennessee at Knoxville Physics Department, which
> # makes a.s.s. a pretty new group. Usenet itself started in 1979 at
> # the University of North Carolina. I started reading it in about
> # 1983, at which time it was still small enough that an individual
> # could typically read every post to every group once daily in a
> # reasonable amount of time.
>

> Just curious, but how long have you (and the others in here) been reading
> alt.support.shyness?

Hunt the Wumpus

未读,
1998年6月25日 03:00:001998/6/25
收件人

fred <fr...@area.com> writes:

> Hey. Wait a second here. I don't think that this newsgroup started
> in 1994. 'Cause I remember reading it back in '91 when I first got
> on the net. Maybe I'm confused, somebody like Eric (Pepke|Praetzel)
> should be able to confirm this.

Well, appended are the headers from the actual control message. I've
checked it with two control message archives, both of which archive
back to 1991, and both agree on a.s.s. having been created in 1994.

> Anyhow. That's about howlong I've been reading it. Since 1991. 7
> years.

Maybe it just *seems* like 7 years :-). Memory has a way of playing
tricks that way sometimes. Also there were some other sort of similar
groups around before a.s.s; I used to read some myself. Maybe you
could be thinking of some other group?

- Control Message Archival Wumpus -

PS - my appolgies if this appears twice. Brief hiccup the 1st time
around.

> Hey. Wait a second here. I don't think that this newsgroup started
> in 1994. 'Cause I remember reading it back in '91 when I first got
> on the net. Maybe I'm confused, somebody like Eric (Pepke|Praetzel)
> should be able to confirm this.

Well, appended are the headers from the actual control message. I've
checked it with two control message archives, both of which archive
back to 1991, and both agree on a.s.s. having been created in 1994.

> Anyhow. That's about howlong I've been reading it. Since 1991. 7
> years.

Maybe it just *seems* like 7 years :-). Memory has a way of playing
tricks that way sometimes. Also there were some other sort of similar
groups around before a.s.s; I used to read some myself. Maybe you
could be thinking of some other group?

- Control Message Archival Wumpus -

Eric Pepke

未读,
1998年6月26日 03:00:001998/6/26
收件人

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, fred wrote:

> Hey. Wait a second here. I don't think that this newsgroup started in
> 1994. 'Cause I remember reading it back in '91 when I first got on the
> net. Maybe I'm confused, somebody like Eric (Pepke|Praetzel) should
> be able to confirm this.

I can't. I've only been reading it since 1994.

-Eric

0 个新帖子