i need some help!

mandyboo

May 14, 2004, 10:06:57 AM5/14/04
my mother in law is suffering from post polio and she goes to the doctor
each month and gets her meds but where we live in chattanooga there is
only one docotr that practices with post polio and heis just giving her
meds and not trying to rid or reduce the problem. I am wondering if
anyone knows of any new procedures or anything worth trying or something
you may have found that works, please respond she is to the point she wont
go out of the house or do anything. please help. mandy

Deanshafer

May 15, 2004, 4:27:51 PM5/15/04
She needs to realize that PPS is not the end of life, but it will change your
life. She needs to do what ever she needs to do to keep herself part of
society. My doctor told me at the onset of my PPS that his goal was to do what
he had to do, to keep me mobile and in society.

You didn't say enough about her condition to offer you much more that that. I
have gone from walking with a walker to full-time in a wheelchair. My PPS
problems came on me 18 years ago. I was 42. Now, I'm 60 years old. I haven't
let it stop me from participating in life. I lead a full life. I love to
travel, my wife and I go out to dinner and shows. Last summer, I drove 1200
miles on vacation, over six states. I do everything that an able bodied
person would do.

I sounds to me like she needs some good counseling.

The E-Mail Traveler,
Dean
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA

"Money talks, chocolate sings."

tinkersdaddy

Jul 10, 2004, 7:57:23 AM7/10/04
I am a 62 year old male. Polio and I have been together since I was 18
months old. Her frustration is understood but she needs to understand that
there is no cure. She must accept her condition and live life as normal as
possible. My condition is in my legs and is currently affecting my back
and arms. I was able to walk and work until 2000. Forced to go on
disability and then diagnosed with MS last month when I kept experiencing
excessive weakness in my arms and back. I have always been active and
exercised regularly and still try. I have been placed on PROVIGIL (100 MGS
A DAY) to combat weakness and in my case it seems to help. If she quits
trying her condition will continue to degenerate. I highly recommend
swimming and a stationary bike for exercise to maintain muscle tone. Most
important of all is to try to get her out to meet others and be active. I
grew up on braces,crutches and a wheel chair but was able to do without
all as an adult. Now I am back in a wheel chair and can no longer walk 1
step. That is life and I am just thankful that I was able to have a
semi-normal life for mant years. Polio is hard on me and my family but we
work together and there is nothing that we cannot do with all of us
trying. She must be willing to help herself before you can help her. I
wish you all the best, the road ahead is not easy but it can be an
emotional beneficial experience for all involved.

Sincerely,
Ray

tinkersdaddy

Jul 10, 2004, 8:10:39 AM7/10/04
I am a 62 year old male. Polio and I have been together since I was 18
months old. Her frustration is understood but she needs to understand that
there is no cure. I was able to walk and work until 2000. Forced to go on

disability and then diagnosed with MS last month when I kept experiencing
excessive weakness in my arms and back as well as breathing difficulty. I

have been placed on PROVIGIL (100 MGS A DAY) to combat weakness and in my
case it seems to help.

Sincerely,
Ray

Ron Shaw

Oct 9, 2006, 1:49:35 PM10/9/06
http://www.englewoodhospital.com/PostPolio_new/index.htm

try here

"mandyboo" <toysb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Deborah Garretson

May 23, 2013, 10:40:32 AM5/23/13
Hi. I am 67 and had polio when 6. PPS became noticeable about 20 years ago, but now it is getting worse with weakness and muscle cramps. I would like to hear from others about what accommodations you have made in your life to adapt. -Deb

No Body

May 26, 2013, 5:42:03 PM5/26/13

On Friday, May 14, 2004 10:06:57 AM UTC-4, mandyboo wrote:
> my mother in law is suffering from post polio and she goes to the doctor
> each month and gets her meds but where we live in chattanooga there is
> only one docotr that practices with post polio and heis just giving her
> meds and not trying to rid or reduce the problem. I am wondering if
> anyone knows of any new procedures or anything worth trying or something
> you may have found that works, please respond she is to the point she wont
> go out of the house or do anything. please help. mandy

Mandy,

I'm afraid that there is no way to "rid" your mother in law of the effects of
polio or post-polio syndrome.

There are ways to manage some of the effects... but it takes a "comprehensive"
approach to tackling the problems.

How seriously was your MIL affected by her original polio?

This will largely determine what's possible now.

About the easiest way to get information on what your mother in law may
be experiencing is to contact Post-Polio Health International (What's
"left" of the old GINI network) and order a copy of their "Handbook on
the Late Effects of Poliomyelitis for Physicians and Survivors"
< http://www.post-polio.org/edu/handbk/> or you may be able to get a copy
from your local library.

In addition, there is a group, the Polio Heroes of Tennessee that
provides support for post polio folks in Tennessee and southern
Kentucky.

<http://tn.easterseals.com/site/PageServer?pagename=TNDR_polio_heroes>

They can probably steer you to some local resources.

(I've met Nikki Lancaster, the founder of the group. I'm sure she will
have some helpful pointers. Her phone is 615-889-3007. She's been helping
post polio folks for decades.)

You can also find a lot of helpful information at:

<http://www.poliosurvivorsnetwork.org.uk/archive/lincolnshire/library.html>

swan...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2013, 5:26:33 PM6/25/13
On Friday, May 14, 2004 10:06:57 AM UTC-4, mandyboo wrote:
with pps it is very difficult to make plans and carry them out according to any type of schedule. PPS, there is a lot of pain and fatigue. have to take things day by day..more like moment to moment. have to live in the moment..forget about looking ahead too far..because even that is exhausting. she is lucky to have such a nice person for an in-law as yourself to be so concerned. It is a delicate balance, and must not overdo..which means taking things slow and only doing a little each day. I am 55 with pps, and feel very isolated and alone. if she wants to chat about it have her email me.