stool under wafer

Kimberly Caudell

Apr 28, 2015, 10:44:00 AM4/28/15
Hi . I have had my ileostomy for 20 years and have had no problem until recently . some how my stoma is bending down when it works and causes stool to go up under the waffer . this causes bad leaks . my stoma gets larger and smaller and is quite active . Can any give me any suggestions on how to releave this . thanks

ESL Bruce

Apr 28, 2015, 7:59:49 PM4/28/15
On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 7:44:00 AM UTC-7, Kimberly Caudell wrote:
> Hi . I have had my ileostomy for 20 years and have had no problem until recently . some how my stoma is bending down when it works and causes stool to go up under the waffer . this causes bad leaks . my stoma gets larger and smaller and is quite active . Can any give me any suggestions on how to releave this . thanks

Kimberly,
I am sorry to hear about your problems. A stoma therapist could probably give you better advice, but my suggestion would be to use Eakins stomahesive seals around the stoma and then put the appliance/appliance wafer over that. (Disregard this if you are already using Eakins seals). I assume you have kept up with the advances in appliances. If you haven't, you can request samples from Hollister and Convatec; it would be better to work with stoma therapist for fitting and advising you on what is available.
Bruce

Kimberly Caudell

Apr 29, 2015, 3:28:18 PM4/29/15
Thank you. I already use a stomahesive paste. acts as a seal and skin barrier so i don't think the other seals you suggested would be of any help . And no , I have not kept up with new advances because I haven't needed to . been with the same product with no problem for 20 years . Looks like I'm going to have to do some research though . never hurts to see what is out there . money is also a big issue to as insurance won't help me with this at all . Thank you for your advice .

i.ou...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2015, 9:23:56 AM6/28/15
On Wednesday, 29 April 2015 20:28:18 UTC+1, Kimberly Caudell wrote:
> Thank you. I already use a stomahesive paste. acts as a seal and skin barrier so i don't think the other seals you suggested would be of any help . And no , I have not kept up with new advances because I haven't needed to . been with the same product with no problem for 20 years . Looks like I'm going to have to do some research though . never hurts to see what is out there . money is also a big issue to as insurance won't help me with this at all . Thank you for your advice .

I have had various seal related problems over the years but didn't research new devices until about five years ago. I was amazed at the development that had taken place over the previous twenty years. Do have a word with your stoma nurse they are usually bang up to date because the appliance manufacturers are constantly pushing their products to them. As previously suggested the Eakin seals are excellent and I found them far superior to the paste. The also come with a small flexible upstaged built into the seal to aid the position of the stoma.

Good luck, be persistent as there really is a solution out there!

Robin Bignall

Jun 28, 2015, 8:54:36 PM6/28/15
Good advice. I use the Hollister Adapt range. Very flexible and
sticky.
http://hollisteressentials.co.uk/products/adapt-convex-barrier-rings/
--
Robin Bignall