Colostomy leakage problem

Lloyd

Dec 16, 2006, 6:41:39 PM12/16/06
Had my colostomy 4 weeks ago,using a holister 2 pc with the pouch leaking
with every movement.Using adapt paste,but read about holister
rings...bendable and pliable.Anyone with experience with these???and my
problem ??

LeeAnn

Dec 16, 2006, 9:25:21 PM12/16/06

Lloyd wrote:
> .Using adapt paste,but read about holister
> rings...bendable and pliable.

I have used these and they do work to help fill in gaps where the
flange cannot get to. They have ones that are convex that go under a
flat flange, or they have the flat ones that can be stretched and
molded to fit any stoma. I would suggest that you call and get some
samples sent your way. Convatec makes a similar product, which is
called an Eakin Seal. They are wonderful little things, they work very
well and help to get a good solid seal. Warm them before you put them
on your skin, that will help them to mold into the areas needed and
fill them.

Anyone with experience with these???and my
> problem ??

As far as your problem with a colostomy, I have an ileostomy so they
are different. But, I have had more than my fair share of leaks and
issues with flanges. Does your stoma stick out? If so, how far? do
you currently wear a convex flange or is it flat? You may need to
switch to convex if you are not wearing it now. This will help to push
the stoma out and the flange will stick a bit better right around the
stoma. The eakin seals will help tremendously. I do recommend htat
you contact the company and get some samples.
It is a trial and error process, and you are in the beginning phases of
the whole adventure. Give yourself some time and things will get a bit
easier.

LeeAnn

oh, there are other wonderful boards out there

http://www.ostomates.org

http://www.ostomyland.com

http://www.uoaa.org

Those are sites that are message boards that are quite helpful in
finding a great deal of info on many topics.

jwal...@webtv.net

Dec 17, 2006, 8:54:36 AM12/17/06
Some things to think about and maybe try...
Leave a little air in your pouch. If your stool is formed or thick, it
will pancake at the stoma and push your wafer off.

Don't cut the opening to fit too snug around the stoma, if your stoma is
flush or nearly flush. The stoma will pull in with peristalsis, and
break your seal and stool will go under the wafer instead of into the
pouch.....because the stool is larger than the opening in the pouch.

Try less or no paste...maybe a slight convexity to your wafer would be
better than the paste.

Watch your stoma and surrounding skin when you drain...that will tell
you a lot.

Don't be discouraged. It took all of us a little time to get the hang
of it. Keep working at it and ask your questions..we are all here to
help.

Miller

Dec 17, 2006, 9:29:32 AM12/17/06

>Don't be discouraged. It took all of us a little time to get the hang
>of it. Keep working at it and ask your questions..we are all here to
>help.

All good points. I had an illeostomy for 8 months and now a permantent
colosomy. For me, trying eakin seals, and samples from the vendors,
was the key - while recovering at home, I tried a number of things -
after the samples came in, it was pretty quick to figure out what
worked. My wound nurnse (ENT) was helpful also. Now it's been years
since I have had a problem, leak, etc. I just go on with life and
don't worry about the pouch, any more than you " worry" about normal
hygene.

Good luck.

4myson

Dec 28, 2006, 9:17:27 PM12/28/06

4myson

Dec 28, 2006, 9:20:08 PM12/28/06

Hi Miller, My name is AnnMarie. I am curious to ask - why you
switched from a illeostomy to a colostomy. I currently have a
colostomy and my doctor is suggesting (since I just found out it will
be permanent) to switch to a illeostomy. Any words of wisdom you can
give me would be appreciated.

Regards, AM

Miller

Dec 28, 2006, 10:01:53 PM12/28/06
"4myson" <Island...@aol.com> wrote:

well, they were going to try a reversal after a few months of the
ileo, that did not work, so they did a colo. That lets me have a
pretty normal system, regards to nutrients absorption and such.

The ONLY things that give me trouble are peanuts and peanut butter.
Both in moderation are fine.

colin....@btinternet.com

Dec 2, 2018, 6:32:36 AM12/2/18
Try dansac one piece bags have them cut to stoma size by dansac,also use Dansac stoma rings also cut to size,you can order samples of both direct with Dansac.
When applying fit ring around adhesive side of bag,then offer bag and ring hole to stoma,press over stoma the adhesive plate of the bag and firmly put pressure on the bag to fix to surrounding stoma skin,hold in position FIRMLY for 30 seconds and flatten the plate to your skin,with practice you will have no more leakage,change the bag twice per day for extra security. colin....@btinternet.com for further help,I have had my stoma 30 years