Colostomy & Stoma Problems

KTRACE21

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
Two nights ago while changing my pouch I noticed my stoma had brown spots on
one side of it. The skin, close to the stoma, on the same side, was all red.
Today that skin is blistered, and the brown spots on the stoma are bigger. I
thought maybe the deoderant tablet I put in the pouch may have slid up and
melted there. This is the only thing that I can think of that might have
caused this. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I'm not sure
what to do! Today I've put a large pad over the area instead of a pouch
because I wasn't sure what the adhesive might do to the blistered skin. As you
can imagine this has been a mess all day, and I'm not sure what to do for
tonight.
I would appreciate any thoughts on this. My ET nurse and doctor live 6 hours
away where I had the surgery.
Thank you,
Kathie

John Harman

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
Gidday Kathie,
Frankly, I can't think of anything else to cause this except maybe
excoriated skin. Possibly the deodorant tablet but you wouldn't think so
unless you have some sort of particular allergy to the tablet.
Sorry I can't be more help with your blisters Kathie, it's something new
to me, maybe GRANNY WAG may have some idea's.
John H (I)

"KTRACE21" <ktra...@aol.com> wrote in message

Earl

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
Beg, borrow or steal some Sween Cream, Kathie, or some similar
product. You can apply the prothesis right over the cream
application, provided you have removed any excess cream.

Sween Cream is distributed by Coloplast. I recommend the smallest
amout, a 2 oz. tube # 0213 for about 8-9 dollars. Just a little dab
will do. Gently rub on the skin,and remove any excess before applying
the prothesis. I remember suggesting this to you on May 27. Do you
mean the Sween Cream isn't doing the job? Or weren't you able to get
some.

Earl

Earl

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
Was this on the inside of the flange? If it was the tablet it had to
be inside the flange. In that case, your skin isn't protected enough
or the hole in the appliance is too large. This problem, coupled with
your previous problems, leads me to believe that effluent is coming in
contact with unprotected skin - as if the seal around the stoma is
breaking down. Do you use any pastes that could cause that?

Earl (U)

DavidRohn

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
I don't know about the brown spots on the stoma. The red blistered skin sounds
like an area where your appliance leaked. If anyplace near you sells Duoderm,
I'd put a patch of that on the blistered area before putting your appliance on.
I'd also change appliances more frequently than usual.

If the red blistered area persists, I'd see a dermatologist or
gastroenterologist pretty quick. One remote possibility is pyoderma, which will
require medication.

I'd be very surpised if it was the deoderant tablet.

David Pearce

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00

KTRACE21 <ktra...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Two nights ago while changing my pouch I noticed my stoma had brown spots
on
> one side of it. The skin, close to the stoma, on the same side, was all
red.
> Today that skin is blistered, and the brown spots on the stoma are bigger.
> thought maybe the deoderant tablet I put in the pouch may have slid up and
> melted there. This is the only thing that I can think of that might have
> caused this. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I'm not
sure
> what to do! Today I've put a large pad over the area instead of a pouch
> because I wasn't sure what the adhesive might do to the blistered skin.
As you
> can imagine this has been a mess all day, and I'm not sure what to do for
> tonight.
> I would appreciate any thoughts on this. My ET nurse and doctor live 6
hours
> away where I had the surgery.
> Thank you,
> Kathie

Kathie.
Firstly PANIC, then sit down, have a cup of coffee until the panic
subsides. When you are calm realise that it is but a slight excoration of
the peristomal skin. Keep the skin clean, leave off the deodorant tablets,
and just let nature take its course with healing. A wipe such as Clinimed
which deposits a barrier onto the peristomal skin might help, but it does
smart for a short while on excoriated skin.
Regards.
David Pearce

GRANNY WAG

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
Hi Kathie,
Not sure what is going on with the spots, hard to diagnose over the net!!
However, I did have a similar problem once with M-9 drops. They got onto my
stoma and discolored it terrribly, it looked like it was dying, all purply
black, the surgeon didn't have a clue what was wrong, but the ET nurse and I
finally figured it out, the dreaded M-9 syndrome had struck!! I still use them
and swear by them for odor elimination, but I always caution people that I
recommend them to, to be aware that they can discolor the stoma if they get on
it.
Usually if you think through the events of the last few days and what you've
done in relation to your stoma, you can figure out what is going on with your
situation. The redness of the skin and the brown spots could possibly be from
two different sources even. You will learn what causes problems as you go
along and what helps in each situation.
Have a good one,
Joy

harmonica

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
Kathi, Getting a product like duoderm is a good idea. If your here in Oz you
can order the same thing from your Ostomy Assoc. It's a Coloplast product
called Curagard Protective Sheets order No. 3210. They come 5 pcs 10cm *
10cm sheets.
A very usefull item.
John H (I)

"DavidRohn" <davi...@aol.com> wrote in message

corey...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2014, 3:35:34 AM9/20/14
The woman I take care of is 85 yr old. When empting her pouch I noticed her stoma was almost flat. I removed the pouch and tried to get it to pop back up. It stayed flat so I put a new pouch on and hoped that it wouldn't leak. Anyone had this problem. Or know how to fix it.

hins...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2019, 12:59:06 AM1/27/19
On Sunday, June 4, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, KTRACE21 wrote:
> Two nights ago while changing my pouch I noticed my stoma had brown spots on
> one side of it. The skin, close to the stoma, on the same side, was all red.
> Today that skin is blistered, and the brown spots on the stoma are bigger. I
> thought maybe the deoderant tablet I put in the pouch may have slid up and
> melted there. This is the only thing that I can think of that might have
> caused this. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I'm not sure
> what to do! Today I've put a large pad over the area instead of a pouch
> because I wasn't sure what the adhesive might do to the blistered skin. As you
> can imagine this has been a mess all day, and I'm not sure what to do for
> tonight.
> I would appreciate any thoughts on this. My ET nurse and doctor live 6 hours
> away where I had the surgery.
> Thank you,
> Kathie

Hi Kathis, I went to my doctors office yesterday to be told I had a hernia..so I will be wearing a hernia belt...I had a little dark brown spot on my stoma and brought it to the doctors attention,,He said oh that's just a little bruise..and left it at that..he was so busy educating me on the hernia that he didn't say anything esle and I just forgot about it...take picture of it and email it to your doctor...Kaiser allows patients to do that...

ESL Bruce

Feb 2, 2019, 4:52:53 PM2/2/19
Is this right? Kathie asked a question in 2000 and we answered it in 2019? So few people use the group system now...now I forget what they were called. Good advice, Hinson! I have had a custom made belt for about four years now. Hernias seem to go with ostomies. It did solve another problem. i substitute teach and cruel middle schoolers would point to my extended abdomen and giggle and ask hat my problem was. Take Care