Iron deficient anemia / yes ? or no ?

doe

Jun 16, 2004, 2:28:11 PM6/16/04
It seems everything we have thought about .. anemia .. iron deficient anemia ..
is NOW .. up .. in .. the .. air .. ?

As I proposed ..

Nutrition
"The diagnostic criteria for iron deficiency in infants should be reevaluated."

Acta Paediatr. 2004 Apr;93(4):436-9. Related Articles, Links

Iron deficiency and iron deficiency anaemia during infancy and childhood.

Zetterstrom R.

The present definition of iron deficiency and iron deficiency anaemia is under
debate. Our present figures for the prevalence of iron deficiency in infants
and toddlers are thus disputed. CONCLUSION: Better understanding of the
regulation of iron metabolism and requirement during the critical early period
of growth and development is needed for relevant control of iron deficiency
anaemia.

Publication Types:
Editorial

PMID: 15188964 [PubMed - in process]

------

DGReview

Inadequate Definition Of Iron Deficiency In Infancy A DGReview of :"The
diagnostic criteria for iron deficiency in infants should be reevaluated."
Nutrition
12/20/2002
By Robert Short

The current definitions for iron deficiency and iron deficiency anaemia in
infants are inadequate and need evaluation.

A study of 263 exclusively breast-fed infants in Honduras and Sweden who were
randomly assigned to receive iron supplementation or placebo has led
researchers in Sweden and the United States to this conclusion.

Blood samples were taken from the children at age 4, 6 and 9 months. Reference
ranges were determined using three different approaches for defining
iron-replete infants. The researchers evaluated various variables for
predicting the haemoglobin response to iron.

Dr M Domellof, from the Department of Clinical Sciences, Pediatrics, Umea
University, Umea, Sweden, said, "The haemoglobin response to iron was not a
useful definition of iron deficiency anaemia at 4 months of age. Haemoglobin,
mean cell volume, and zinc protoporphyrin at 6 months as well as growth
variables predicted the haemoglobin response at 6-9 months, but ferritin and
soluble transferrin receptors at 6 months did not."

The investigators concluded that there was a need for a re-evaluation of the
definitions of iron deficiency and iron deficiency anaemia.

They had set out to establish the cut-off values for the different variables.
They found the two standard deviation cut-off values in iron-replete infants to
be as follows: haemoglobin <105 g/L at 4-6 months and <100 g/L at 9 months;
zinc protoporphyrin >75 micro mol/mol haem at 4.6 months and >90 micro mol/mol
haem at 9 months; ferritin <20 micro g/L at 4 mo, <9 micro g/L at 6 mo and <5
micro g/L at 9 mo; and soluble transferrin receptors >11 mg/L at 4-9 months.

Nutrition
"The diagnostic criteria for iron deficiency in infants should be reevaluated."

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
Man Is A Herbivore! http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore
DEAD PEOPLE WALKING http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/deadpeoplewalking

Dangerous

Jun 17, 2004, 1:24:28 AM6/17/04
<YAWN>

Get a life doe boy

--
Dora
Dangerous with Attitude
"doe" <ironj...@aol.comdoe> wrote in message

doe

Jun 17, 2004, 9:52:59 AM6/17/04
>Subject: Re: Iron deficient anemia / yes ? or no ?
>From: "Dangerous" dang...@telus.net
>Date: 6/16/2004 11:24 PM Mountain Daylight Time

><YAWN>
>
>Get a life doe boy

Is that right ..

What little I .. know .. ABOUT .. ms .. I would have thought THAT .. just might
.. be a worry of .. yours ..

But I may be .. wrong ..

But seeing the whole fkg world has just NOW admitted to
EVERYFKGTHINGTHEYEVERTHOUGHTABOUTANEMIATOBEWRONG .. and that one guy over in
Canada .. seems .. to have been .. RIGHTALLFKGLONG .. just doesn't seem to faze
you one bit .. eh ..

You'd think in a disease which there is NO CURE .. no effective treatment .. in
which one deteriorates horribly into death .. that .. the finding .. might be
important ..

But not everyone CAN understand a simple medical study ..

That .. I would think .. would be a bummer ..

That is just me though ..

Dangerous

Jun 17, 2004, 10:20:34 AM6/17/04
Worry is not in my vocabulary these days. I do have MS you know and the
stress is just not worth it.
Have you thought about working in a kitchen? Your cut and paste belongs in
the kitchen.....working a garburator
seems like a job you could handle. And when your finished , your language
and all your bull shit can be scrapped into
the garbage.
Now run along to one of your other NG playgrounds .Try alt.support.halfwit

--
Dora
Dangerous with Attitude
"doe" <ironj...@aol.comdoe> wrote in message

Jim Carter

Jun 17, 2004, 1:11:45 PM6/17/04
You are seeing this message because Tom Hennessy aka
ironj...@aol.com has posted a message in
alt.support.mult-sclerosis. If you are new to
this group then please see

http://www.mikeswebsite.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/amfFAQ.html#trolls

before you accept that what he says has any merit.
You will find Tommy prominently featured.

Tommy likes to swear at newsgroup participants:

http://tinyurl.com/2cmto

Tommy believes he is some great researcher who
has won a Nobel Prize. In fact, he just copies
material from the web and pastes it to usenet,
proudly calling this his research. There was a
time when people like Tommy were institutionalized,
now they are allowed to vote.
__

*´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·->Jim

rose dawn scott

Jun 17, 2004, 2:30:58 PM6/17/04
ironj...@aol.comdoe (doe) wrote in message news:<20040617095259...@mb-m16.aol.com>...

> What little I .. know .. ABOUT .. ms .. I would have thought THAT .. just might
> .. be a worry of .. yours ..
>
> But I may be .. wrong ..
>
> But not everyone CAN understand a simple medical study ..
>
> That .. I would think .. would be a bummer ..

your first sentence bears absolutely no relation to the rest of your
post, OR to the 'simple medical study.'

i read it -- it had NOTHING to do with M.S. it studied a couple
hundred exclusively-breastfeed infants in honduras and sweden and had
their hemoglobin levels tested at 4, 6, and 9 months of age, and the
conclusion was that the diagnositc criteria for iron-deficient anemia
in INFANTS 'should be re-evaluated.'

same-old same-old. nothing to do with M.S., nothing to do with anyone
able to actually read your posts [unless rats and infants under a year
old become super-super-intelligent thru lack of iron], and has all the
requisite ellipses in....weird....places... and name-calling for
anyone who questions the relevance of the articles you paste or the
conclusions you draw.

who loves ya?

[well?]

bobD

Jun 17, 2004, 5:17:26 PM6/17/04
Satan has a place for this freak,, after he evolves to the next plane of
being.,,, ie - bloodlets a bit too much blood,, he will forever be eating
nails,,

ever notice he refuses to answer my question i ask over and over,, ,, where
does Tom/Doe/shithead,, slice himself when he bloods his lets,,,??? what
about infections from all the holes he cuts in his body,, or does he drink
rat poison and bleed internally???? or does he like to Ramm his face into a
brick wall to cause other forms of internal hemorraging???

bobD hmmmmm how does he bleed his brains,,,???

"rose dawn scott" <rosedaw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Jim Carter

Jun 17, 2004, 6:07:15 PM6/17/04
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:17:26 GMT, "bobD" <phat...@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote in
alt.support.mult-sclerosis:

>ever notice he refuses to answer my question i ask over and over

Tom also claims to have 'qualifications'. He has no answer when asked about
these 'qualifications'. Well, he did answer once; that was when he said he had
a Nobel Prize.

laura davis doe

Jun 17, 2004, 6:23:26 PM6/17/04
It was Jim Carter who stood up in class and shouted ;

Doesn't that match the one Rob was awarded?
Lo

doe

Jun 18, 2004, 12:09:55 AM6/18/04
>Subject: Re: Iron deficient anemia / yes ? or no ?
>From: rosedaw...@yahoo.com (rose dawn scott)
>Date: 6/17/2004 12:30 PM Mountain Daylight Time

>ironj...@aol.comdoe (doe) wrote in message

>i read it -- it had NOTHING to do with M.S. it studied a couple

>hundred exclusively-breastfeed infants in honduras and sweden and had
>their hemoglobin levels tested at 4, 6, and 9 months of age, and the
>conclusion was that the diagnositc criteria for iron-deficient anemia
>in INFANTS 'should be re-evaluated.'
>
>same-old same-old. nothing to do with M.S., nothing to do with anyone
>able to actually read your posts [unless rats and infants under a year
>old become super-super-intelligent thru lack of iron], and has all the
>requisite ellipses in....weird....places... and name-calling for
>anyone who questions the relevance of the articles you paste or the
>conclusions you draw.
>
>who loves ya?
>
>[well?]

It is a question of .. credibility ...

In a disease process of no known cause .. very little effective treatment .. a
man on a white fkg horse .. might be kindof .. welcome ..

But ..

It seems no amount of medical studies .. PROVEN WRONG .. no amount of CURES of
disease .. will sway .. some ..

Content in their .. what .. ?

Who fkg .. knows ..

Michael

Jun 18, 2004, 1:26:41 AM6/18/04
In <news:20040618000955...@mb-m15.aol.com>,
doe said:

>> Subject: Re: Iron deficient anemia / yes ? or no ?
>> From: rosedaw...@yahoo.com (rose dawn scott)
>> Date: 6/17/2004 12:30 PM Mountain Daylight Time
>
>> ironj...@aol.comdoe (doe) wrote in message
>
>> i read it -- it had NOTHING to do with M.S. it studied a couple
>> hundred exclusively-breastfeed infants in honduras and sweden and had
>> their hemoglobin levels tested at 4, 6, and 9 months of age, and the
>> conclusion was that the diagnositc criteria for iron-deficient anemia
>> in INFANTS 'should be re-evaluated.'
>>
>> same-old same-old. nothing to do with M.S., nothing to do with anyone
>> able to actually read your posts [unless rats and infants under a
>> year
>> old become super-super-intelligent thru lack of iron], and has all
>> the requisite ellipses in....weird....places... and name-calling for
>> anyone who questions the relevance of the articles you paste or the
>> conclusions you draw.
>>
>> who loves ya?
>>
>> [well?]
>>

> It is a question of .. credibility ...

Of which you have... well... none, really.

> In a disease process of no known cause .. very little effective
> treatment .. a man on a white fkg horse .. might be kindof .. welcome
> ..

It looks more like a polka-dotted donkey from this side of the fence.

> But ..
>
> It seems no amount of medical studies .. PROVEN WRONG .. no amount of
> CURES of disease .. will sway .. some ..

Cures of *what* disease? MS? No.

Go away, and don't come back til you find one.

> Content in their .. what .. ?
>
> Who fkg .. knows ..

<raises hand> Oh! Mr. Kotter! Oh! Oh!

Content in their superiority to *you*.

> Who loves ya.
> Tom

That's a lie.

Didn't your mommy tell you never to lie (or argue with people smarter than
you?)

Hoover Sucked And Blew!
http://archive.salon.com/health/sex/urge/world/2000/01/05/hoover/
The Moon Is A Balloon!
http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/rants/untouch.html
WED PEOPLE DOCKING!
http://www.seanaandbryan.com/_wsn/page3.html

Jim Carter

Jun 18, 2004, 10:33:20 AM6/18/04
You are seeing this message because Tom Hennessy aka
ironj...@aol.com has posted a message in
alt.support.mult-sclerosis. If you are new to
this group then please see

http://www.mikeswebsite.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/amfFAQ.html#trolls

before you accept that what he says has any merit.
You will find Tommy prominently featured.

Tommy likes to swear at support group participants.
This is entirely due to his inability to understand
the differences between the alt.support.* hierarchy
and the sci.med.* hierarchies. Forever ignorant.
See

http://tinyurl.com/2cmto

Hennessy believes he is some great researcher who

has won a Nobel Prize. In fact, he just copies
material from the web and pastes it to usenet,
proudly calling this his research. There was a
time when people like Tommy were institutionalized,
now they are allowed to vote.

doe

Jun 18, 2004, 11:58:15 AM6/18/04
>Subject: Re: Iron deficient anemia / yes ? or no ?
>From: "Michael" muir...@haidagwaii.net
>Date: 6/17/2004 11:26 PM Mountain Daylight Time

>Cures of *what* disease? MS? No.
>
>Go away, and don't come back til you find one.

I posted it quite awhile .. ago ..

You attacked .. someone else attacked .. someone else did too ..

So .. I guess .. in all the attacks .. you .. must .. have .. missed .. it ..

Eh ..

Bummer .. man ..

Who loves ya.
Tom

Michael

Jun 18, 2004, 12:14:03 PM6/18/04
In <news:20040618115815...@mb-m14.aol.com>,
doe said:

>> Subject: Re: Iron deficient anemia / yes ? or no ?
>> From: "Michael" muir...@haidagwaii.net
>> Date: 6/17/2004 11:26 PM Mountain Daylight Time
>>
>> Cures of *what* disease? MS? No.
>>
>> Go away, and don't come back til you find one.
>
> I posted it quite awhile .. ago ..

A cure for MS? No.

Idiot.

Jim Carter

Jun 18, 2004, 6:58:28 PM6/18/04
On 18 Jun 2004 15:58:15 GMT, ironj...@aol.comdoe (doe) wrote in
alt.support.mult-sclerosis:

>>Go away, and don't come back til you find one.
>
>I posted it quite awhile .. ago ..

You have cured MS so many times that it is impossible to know which cure you
mean. Is this the one where you cured the seven year old child in Japan using
plasmapheresis?

>You attacked .. someone else attacked .. someone else did too ..

>So .. I guess .. in all the attacks .. you .. must .. have .. missed .. it ..

Was your wheelchair knocked over in NYC? Your story has a familiar sound to it.

Rob Duncan

Jun 19, 2004, 11:37:12 PM6/19/04

"laura davis doe" <lode...@yahoo.Com> wrote in message

Im still awaiting mine. I discovered why men go bald. Did you know that?

Rob

ironjustice

Jul 2, 2020, 8:03:54 PM7/2/20
No iron deficiency in the world ..

https://youtu.be/in-mLxeLu4Q?t=2832

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://tinyurl.com/4rq595

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
http://tinyurl.com/zk9fk

ironjustice

Aug 24, 2021, 10:40:59 PM8/24/21
This article is in reference to my stance, 'there is no iron deficiency in the world', just markers that are accepted that are too high, hemoglobin, must be lower, to diagnose iron deficiency.
All I've heard is, 'yeah you're right and the whole world is wrong', and going on thirty years later .. this ..
Ta da ..

Are Hemoglobin Cutoffs for Anemia Outdated?
— A growing call for WHO criteria to be tightened

A nurse wearing white rubber gloves takes a blood sample from a patient’s finger.
The WHO's long-standing hemoglobin cutoffs for anemia do not match reality for people around the world, a cross-sectional study found.

Pooled fifth percentile estimates of hemoglobin were 9.65 g/dL for children and 10.81 g/dL for women across 27 nutrition surveys from 25 countries, with low inter-survey variance around these estimates, reported O. Yaw Addo, PhD, of the CDC and Emory University in Atlanta, and colleagues.

In line with this finding, hemoglobin concentrations plotted against soluble transferrin receptor (a biomarker of tissue iron deficiency and a physiological indicator of erythropoiesis) reveal compensatory increased erythropoiesis when hemoglobin dips below 9.61 g/dL among children and 11.01 g/dL among women, they noted in JAMA Network Open.

Thus, the newly calculated multinational fifth percentile estimates of hemoglobin are more than 1.0 g/dL lower than current WHO cutoffs for defining anemia in apparently healthy people: 11.0 g/dL for children up to 5 years old and 12.0 g/dL for nonpregnant women.

The study authors said that this change is supported by other studies that also called for a decrease of approximately 1.0 g/dL in hemoglobin cutoffs.

Moreover, they said their results "support the use of a pooled multinational Hb [hemoglobin] fifth percentile for defining anemia, as opposed to adopting Hb estimates that are specific to a survey, country, or race/ethnicity, which could lead to proliferation of multiple different Hb cutoffs and, thus, complicate their clinical application and global disease burden quantification, among other factors."

Released in 1968, the WHO cutoffs had been based on smaller studies of Europeans and Canadians and later validated using a U.S. population.

"Evaluation of the WHO Hb cutoffs has been a subject of active research for decades. These cutoffs were derived from statistical cutoffs not linked with physiological or health outcomes. Furthermore, the appropriateness of these cutoffs for defining anemia among certain population groups, age groups, and ethnicities has been questioned repeatedly," Addo and colleagues wrote.

Anemia is defined as having hemoglobin levels too low to meet an individual's physiological needs.

However, evaluating other factors associated with anemia (e.g., malaria, vitamin A, vitamin B12, folate, and inherited blood disorders) is also crucial to guiding anemia management, Addo's group cautioned.

The cross-sectional study was based on a healthy sample of 13,445 children (mean age 32.9 months, 50.2% boys) and 25,880 nonpregnant women (mean age 31.0 years), after excluding those with iron deficiency, vitamin A deficiency, inflammation, or malaria.

Survey-specific hemoglobin fifth percentile estimates ranged from 7.90 g/dL (in Pakistan) to 11.23 g/dL (in the U.S.) for children, and from 8.83 g/dL (in Gujarat, India) to 12.09 g/dL (in the U.S.) for women.

Study results persisted when using higher ferritin cutoffs to define iron deficiency.

The lack of uniformity in laboratory assessment of hemoglobin was a major caveat of the study, the authors acknowledged.

In addition, hemoglobin cutoffs were derived without input from medical records, precluding analysis linking hemoglobin with clinical outcomes.

Last Updated August 06, 2021
Nicole Lou is a reporter for MedPage Today, where she covers cardiology news and other developments in medicine. Follow

Source Reference: Addo OY, et al "Evaluation of hemoglobin cutoff levels to define anemia among healthy individuals" JAMA Netw Open 2021; DOI: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.19123.

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh