CUPS Required for Gym Class?

Schmi...@webtv.net

Oct 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/24/99
Since the inception of this discussion group, there have been numerous
articles describing
that boys were required to wear jockstraps in
Jr. High and h.s. PE classes. With the recent
threads on cups,, I would like to pose the
question, Did any school PE classes require
boys to wear cups? If so, what grade level, and were they required
only during certain sports, or for all gym class activities as part of
the required uniform?

Frankiv310

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
Cups were required at my school for football and baseball for 7th grade on up.

EMD1233170

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
In PE class cups were required for softball and soccer sarting in 6th grade.
Players on football, baseball, and soccer teams were required to wear cups
also.

uncut lover

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99

When I was in high school about 8 years ago, neither cups nor jocks were
required for us in PE class. While playing soccer one day, I sure as hell
wish cups HAD been required. I do recall a sign in the locker room detailing
what was required to be in every football player's locker, and a jock was
included. No mention of a cup though.

I also remember the occasional jockstrap being on the floor in the shower
room after PE (I had it first period after the football players practiced).
I still have the ONE I had the balls to swipe.

Jay

Schmi...@webtv.net

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
Thanks for the posting, and the several E-mail responses I have
received, I posted the question in response to a discussion, over the
week-end in a jockstrap chat room. A poster
reported having to wear a jock AND CUP as
part of his regular PE Uniform, for all class activities. This story
surfaces every now and thn on the web, so I am merely trying to bring it
out. In the 1960's jocks were almost universally required for Jr.
High, H.S and
College PE classes, so it stands to reason
that some overbearing PE instructors may have
pushed the regulations to include the metal and plastic guardians. Can
anyone add insite?

ste...@webtv.net

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
No cups required for our P.E. class, but they pretty much avoided
activities where you needed one, with the exception of floor hockey.

FraterBOB

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
Cups were required in my HS, by one gym teacher. We had two older but
popular PE teachers, who cared less if you wore a jock, or showered or
even participated. About all they
did was see that you wore your uniform, and took attendence. About the
second day of
class the school hired this gung ho, ex military
creep to be the third PE teacher, since we had
about 100 guys in each class. They divided
the class by having the guys count off in three's.
Luckily, I didn't get the jerk. He made his class wear a jockstrap and
plastic cup for every class.
We would smirk and laugh watching the guys
lined up and having to thump their cups during roll call. Worse yet, he
made his group do 10
minutes of calisthentics at the beginning of each class. We would be
playing vollyball
or basketball, and his class had to form in platoon formation and sweat
out jumping jacks,
and situps and stuff. In good weather, he made
the guys run the mile, cups in place! Everyone
in his class absolutely hated the guy. I was
terrified getting my 10th grade class schedule
the following summer, only to find him as my
new PE teacher. Fortunately, my family moved
in August, so I really lucked out.

Timberwoof

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
In article <638-3816...@storefull-151.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
Frat...@webtv.net (FraterBOB) wrote:

Musta been Gunny. }: )

Cheese ... I don't know what some high school gym teachers are thinking.
Wait; I do know. They are thinking that everyone is like them and responds
best to strict discipline, being made to wear uncomfortable and
embarassing sports equipment, and beimng forced to play stupid sports. The
idea that a kid may be uninterested in playing sports never enters their
minds ... and when it does, is treated as a sign of antisocial pathology.

Hey, anybody remember "Squat thrust"? Turns out that it's amazingly
harmful to the knees and nobody does it any more.

--
Timberwoof; mroeder<at>best<dot>com; http://www.best.com/~mroeder
Ice Hockey QA Engineer (Goalie), 1998 BMW R1100GS rider, and

Jayman869

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
I would have been in seventh heaven in that PE class. I love wearing jocks and
cups. But, we were not required to wear them. One of my Friends on the
football team didn't even wear a cup. All he could say was I guess I am lucky.

Jay

Jayman869

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
>Hey, anybody remember "Squat thrust"?

Yes, Michael I remember them. My freshman year PE teacher loved to have us do
them.

ste...@webtv.net

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
A previous post stated cups were required after 7th grade for baseball
and football in their school. Never heard that they were "required",
but cups were standard equipment on our high school baseball team. I
understand that is not necessarily the case in football, and some guys
claimed not to wear one because it slowed them down? Never having
played football, I am curious if this is the case.

Sweats

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
I was a running back in high school, wore a cup for every contact practice
and all games. I never felt it slowed me down. I can think of a couple of
defenders that I "accidentally" kneed, who weren't wearing cups and that
"slowed" them down considerably. LOL

ste...@webtv.net wrote in message
<5381-38...@storefull-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Squad Leader

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
I think the gym teacher Bob described, taught
my 9th grade PE class. Other than the fact we
didn't wear cups, our teacher was ex military and obviously confused a
school gym class with Marine Corp Boot Camp.

I agree with Timberwoof, that the guy had problems. There should be no
reason fo require a class to wear a cup while running track other than
punishment! Betcha the guy
ha a grin on his face, watching the boys
suffer thru the laps.

I think the calisthentics were common in the 60's as part of President
Kennedy's national
fitness program, We suffered thru about
8 to 10 minutes of them every day we didn't swim.

Squat-thrusts? No sweat. We had to do
reps of deep knee bends, and a dumb routine
called duck walking. Now just think what
an orthopaedic doctor would say about that!
It is a miricle that I still have knee ligiments.

A couple of PE teachers in my HS had a
more favorite exercise for us called the
rocking chair. We had to lay face down on the gym floor, hands behind
our necks, then
rock back and forth repeatedly, raising our
legs and chests as high as we could off the floor. This tended to
crunch your nuts wearing
your jock, but I cringe to imagine what it would
have felt like wearing a cup, especially when
they sometimes got "out of adjustment"

FraterBOB

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
Discomfort? Punishment? There was a tradition in my college
fraternity (and others
I am told) to require pledges to wear jocks and cups for inordinate
amounts of time. The ONLY
purpose was to assure the discomfort of
the pledges.

Timberwoof

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
In article <360-381...@storefull-157.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
Frat...@webtv.net (FraterBOB) wrote:

Yeah, but becoming a member of a fraternity is essentialy a voluteer
activity. If you don't want to be a member of a fraternity that makes its
pledges wear cups for weeks on end, then don't join.

Jockstr1

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
I wish I went to college......I would be in heven if I was made to wear a jock
and cup........even if that's ALL I was allowed to wear :>)

Jock...@AOL.com

NJ Hockey Player

Schmi...@webtv.net

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
Squad, "Grandma's Rocking Chair" , cups in place, was a regular part of
our football team
exercises, before each practice and game. It
followed leg raises, and was supposed to do
something to relax muscles which tightened while holding your legs off
the ground. The
coaches would walk thru the team, and everyone had to "keep rockin"
until the coaches
were convinced that everyone had done their fair share.

NoNo

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
It seems that your school had only 1 PE instructor worthy of the
title.

Although we didn't wear cups, we did wear jocks. We also had
calisthenics as a regular part of our classes. And we ran laps fairly
regularly.

Nowadays even joggers do 'stretches' and 'warming up exercises.'
Millions of people participate in 'aerobics,' and the latest fad,
'kung fubics.' Music or not, it's still calisthenics to me.

I think your colleagues who had 'the jerk' as their instructor ended
up with more -physical- education than you did.

--Questar

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:20:16 -0500 (CDT), Frat...@webtv.net
(FraterBOB) wrote (in part):

>Cups were required in my HS, by one gym teacher. We had two older but
>popular PE teachers, who cared less if you wore a jock, or showered or
>even participated. About all they did was see that you wore your uniform,
>and took attendence.

>About the second day of
>class the school hired this gung ho, ex military
>creep to be the third PE teacher, since we had
>about 100 guys in each class. They divided
>the class by having the guys count off in three's.

>...Worse yet, he made his group do 10
>minutes of calisthenics at the beginning of each class. We would be

Jayman869

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
I have been reading these posts about a cup and jock in PE class. I get the
impression that most guys don't like wearing cups. Is that true? I love to
wear one for no reason. I have even wore a cup to work all day. Even on some
weekends My partner and I will wear cups just for the hell of it. Besides it
makes me really horny thinking my honey's balls are all hot and sweaty inside
that hard plastic.

ste...@worldnet.att.net

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
to No...@nan.net
Like they say in the Marine Corps...It's builds character!!!..sounds
like your Military guy knew how to make men out of you boys!!
OOH-RAH!!!!

Gunny Aldea//

Timberwoof

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
In article <wFsaOMJR20lmIM...@4ax.com>, No...@Nan.net wrote:

> It seems that your school had only 1 PE instructor worthy of the
> title.
>
> Although we didn't wear cups, we did wear jocks. We also had
> calisthenics as a regular part of our classes. And we ran laps fairly
> regularly.
>
> Nowadays even joggers do 'stretches' and 'warming up exercises.'

Is there a problem with ordinary people streching and warming up before
calisthenics? Professional athletes, and serious amateurs who know what
they're doing, do that all the time. So why the single quote marks?

> Millions of people participate in 'aerobics,' and the latest fad,
> 'kung fubics.' Music or not, it's still calisthenics to me.

I agree that controlling weight is a mater of discipline, and yet people
will move from fad to fad, losing interest and gaining back those five
pounds every six weeks.

> I think your colleagues who had 'the jerk' as their instructor ended
> up with more -physical- education than you did.

But to what good end, except to teach a lot of kids that exercise is a
bore and a waste of time favored by jerks who teach school as though it
were marine boot camp?

> --Questar

Timberwoof

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99

> Like they say in the Marine Corps...It's builds character!!!..sounds
> like your Military guy knew how to make men out of you boys!!
> OOH-RAH!!!!
>
> Gunny Aldea//

Gunny, you can be such a jerk sometimes. On what pedagogical or
psychological theory do you base your ideas of the transformation of boys
into men? Anything other than tradition and the notion that if it was good
enough for you, your dad, and your dad's dad, then it's good enough for
kids today?

> > >...Worse yet, he made his group do 10
> > >minutes of calisthenics at the beginning of each class. We would be
> > >playing vollyball or basketball, and his class had to form in platoon
formation and sweat
> > >out jumping jacks, and situps and stuff. In good weather, he made
> > >the guys run the mile, cups in place!

Timberwoof

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
In article <19991030085304...@ng-cm1.aol.com>,
jaym...@aol.com26 (Jayman869) wrote:

What kinds of cups do you wear?

Many sport cups are really uncomfortable, and since few people (except
here) seem willing to talk about cups or compare them, most are unaware
that a variety exist. And for many Dads who grew up with the flat cups,
the huge ones Bike sells seem scary or something.

And then there's us special guys who like cups just because. :-)

FraterBOB

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
NoNo, In your prior life you must have been a
PE teacher, with whistle lanyard hanging from your neck! Part of me
wants to agree with you, that current HS PE programs are a joke. My
kids related that the co-ed class was little more
than a social hour., with competition centering
on who had the most expensive athletic shoes.
Sure, PE uniforms, jock straps and showers are
stories from a previous generation. I respect
physical fitness, and in fact am running a 10k
tomorrow morning.

I wore a cup as a fraternity pledge, I find them
erotic, and in fact am packing plastic as I type
this posting.

Nevertheless, I challange the intentions and
actions of the 9th grade PE teacher. You might
be right that his class benefited from achieving
better fitness from the daily cals., but his demands contrasted so
dramatically from those
of his fellow teachers, that it left a negative
taste for PE and exercise on his students.

Hey, a third of the guys in the locker room were in his section, an I
can still visualize a couple
of my friends opening their lockers, and
peeling their jock and cup off of their sweaty
crotches and chafed thighs, after having completed calesthentics and a
times mile run, in 80 degree weather.

Sure, a cup in PE for dodge ball, wresting
or even a few of the sports we played might
have had merit. Nevertheless, I challange
you or any other thread reader to explain the
reason or benefit derived from requiring
the class to wear them for daily class activity,
including calesthentics and runnng!

Timberwoof

Oct 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/30/99
In article <19991030234952...@ng-fr1.aol.com>,
jaym...@aol.com26 (Jayman869) wrote:

> Jay>What kinds of cups do you wear?
>
> I have the standard issue bike cup. And the daddy of cups the banana cup. I
> love the way the Banana cup fits.

A Banana cup is what I wear playing hockey. I've got several of them...
(To go with my goalie jocks. :-)

Jayman869

Oct 31, 1999, 2:00:00 AM10/31/99

Bike7125

Nov 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/2/99
Jocks were required in our gym classes starting in 7th grade, but not cups. I
think they should have at least strongly RECOMMENDED we acquire and wear cups
for softball/baseball in gym, but they did not and I remember the joy of
catching a fast softball you know where, protected only by a damn pair of gym
shorts and a jock. I don't see why it would have been really that tough for
them to add cups to the list of stuff we needed to buy for gym; it isn't like
they cost a fortune, and actually the school had a policy of providing clothing
and gear for students whose families could not afford it. If I had claimed
indigence, I could have ended up wearing some previous student's socks, shorts.
T-shirt, and jock!

When baseball/softball season rolled around, or was about to, my Dad and I went
and got me a real decent bat and glove and of course neatsfoot oil for the
glove, but the SOB never once mentioned cups. I know its stupid but I am still
kinda pissed off about the fact that HE didn't, the school didn't, and the guy
at the sporting goods store didn't even do the traditional taking me, my dad,
or both of us aside quietly and explaining the whys and wherefores of the
birds, bees, and balls that hit you in the nuts real hard and how to minimize
consequences of the latter. I got hit once, maybe twice, and I distinctly
remember thinking $%^&**((@@$$%%^^& THIS (after the traditional crawling around
on the ground on all fours while BOTH sides are laughing their guts out) and
wondering whether I was going to just throw up, do something worse, or just
die.

You'd THINK the frigging gym teacher at least, after the first incident, would
have taek me aside and told me to get a cup, if only to protect my youknowwhats
while they healed up. Hell, he should have GIVEN me one specially after the
second time.

Oddly enough, I was dressing out either early or late one day after my shower,
and while getting my street clothes on, these other two guys a few locker
aisles down were making some racket and I walked over to check it out. One
guy's got his socks and jock on and is putting the rest of the ensemble on,
while his buddy is just in his cup jock which he apparently just bought or his
Dad bought for him, and he already had the cup snapped in place in the pouch,
which appeared to be made of plastic rather than fabric. I can't imagine how
or why that would be more comfortable than a cup/jock with a fabric pouch (and
some holes in the cup for whatever good they do....), but I have always
regretted not asking him where he got it and getting one myself and trying oone
out.

Anyhow in Junior HS/ Middle School, only the organized sports teams HAD to wear
groin protection of at least a jock (Basketball, I think we had VB too, and
tennis) or a jock/cup (football, baseball; the soccer team wore those funny
'soft' cup/jock deals, I think). Actually those soft cup/jock setups ought to
have been a good idea for basketball and volleyball, too. I've worn em and
they're hardly more noticeable than just a plain jock.

Wrestling, football, and baseball all required cups in both JHS and high
school. It was kinda hot seeing the profile of the cup showing from the crotch
of the wrestler's singlet or from a football player's tight uniform or practice
pants. My college roomie was a wrestler in a nearby HS and he told me they made
them wear cups there to, but he bitched that they impeded manouverability.

Seems to me I'd much rather wear a cup, be a little less nimble, and not have
some stranger with evil intent grabbing by b***s.

Squad Leader

Nov 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/2/99
Bike7125 raises a great point suggesting that
cups could have been recommended "optional"
equipment in school PE. I never got racked by a baseball or softball,
but we did have a gym teacher, who insisted on a weekly session of
a "cruelty sport" called bombardment. The
idea was to throw basketballs at a line of guys,
and try to hit them. (Guess where most gym bullys aimed!) For me, the
plastic guardian would have paid off more than once! Nevertheless, as
authoritarian as some PE teachers seemed to have been, I suppose
they would have required cups, just cause they
said so!

WildhartMC

Nov 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/3/99
hmmmm, I remember "bombardment" and as a little guy i was targeted big time.
the funny thing was.. I was extremely talented as a tumbler.. and gymnast..
so while they pegged me "easy" they hard the hardest time gettin me.. it
usually took several of them gangin up on me.. heehee.. I sorta enjoyed pissin
em off.. our coaches or gym teachers did not "inspect" or make sure you were
wearin a jock... but the school always sent home a note tellin us we hadda
have em.. cups were never mentioned... but then again.. as a lil guy. i never
did the football or basketball things.. and of course most straight small
towns.. etc. can think of no other sports...