Iron Overload In Endometriosis

ironj...@cool.zzn.com

Jul 6, 2015, 6:20:27 PM7/6/15
SERUM HEPCIDIN LEVELS IN ENDOMETRIOSIS
Akush Ginekol (Sofiia). 2015;54 Suppl 1:32-8.
Manolov V, Marinov B, Vasilev V.

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
Endometriosis is a benign disease, which ranks third in mortality from gynecological morbidity after inflammatory conditions and myoma. We tried to evaluate serum iron and hepcidin levels and seek their connection with the development of endometriosis.
METHODS:
For quantification of serum hepcidin we use ELISA method. 53 women were included, average age 25.4 ± 4.3. They were divided into two groups--women with endometriosis (EM) and a control group. Samples were taken at the University hospital "Maichin dom" for a period of one year. We measure serum iron, ferritin and calculate transferrin saturation. We use the Pearson's correlation and Student's t-test for evaluating of statistical significance.
RESULTS:
We found statistically significant differences in serum hepcidin levels in the groups included: women with endometriosis have higher concentrations 64.3 ± 7.8 μg/L compared to the control group 19.4 ± 4.1 μg/L (r = -0.201, P < 0.001). Serum ferritin levels showed significant differences between the two groups in EM 17.9 ± 8.4 ng/ml vs control 79.5 ± 14.6 ng/ml (r = -0.249, P < 0.001). Statistically significant difference was found in serum iron levels: in EM 21.9 ± 3.2 μmol/L compared to 13.5 ± 1.9 μmol/L in the control group (P < 0.001).
CONCLUSION:
Our results support the idea that iron overload and increased serum levels of hepcidin plays an important role in the pathogenesis of endometriosis.

PMID: 26137768

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!