New group for Dyspraxia

Rob Gillibrand

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

Please could someone help me: I am trying to set up a newsgroup for
dyspraxia and | have no idea how to go about doing it.

Frank

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

Rob Gillibrand <us...@clara.net> wrote in article
<6h5rv3$9m5$1...@eros.clara.net>...

^ Please could someone help me: I am trying to set up a newsgroup
for
^ dyspraxia and | have no idea how to go about doing it.

What is dyspraxia?

Creating a newsgroup is a very difficult process. It is difficult
because the people managing it will automatically deny your wishes
and the instructions for creating one are intentionally confusing,
incomplete, and misleading. You would do much better to ask someone
who has done it to do it for you.

But here are two sources for the information you need:

<http://angelfire.com/tx/calame/createnewsgroups.html>
<http://lonestar.texas.net/~eacalame/how-to-create-newsgroups.htm>

Frank

Ted Rosenberg

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98
to Steve

Steve wrote:

> In article <6h5rv3$9m5$1...@eros.clara.net>, Rob Gillibrand
> <us...@clara.net> writes

> >Please could someone help me: I am trying to set up a newsgroup for
> >dyspraxia and | have no idea how to go about doing it.

I am not sure that dyspraxia is still considered a legitimate term. As
I recall, it is an obsolete Brit term for dyslexia. Any one who knows
better, please correct me.

Mark Hamer

Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98

Dyspraxia is quite different from dyslexia, although the two are often found
together. My dyspraxia means that I have difficulty with fine motor control.
That afffects my writing and my ability to do fine work. At the other end of
the spectrum, people can have very little control over major muscles.
Dyspraxia used to be known as the 'clumsy child syndrome' and is thought to
be caused by the brain partially not being able to sense the position of the
limbs (apparently).

My dyspraxia means that I can figure out how to do things but my hands
cannot do them, unless I concentrate very hard. If I just try to write then
I scrawl but if I focus on every curve, stroke and nuance then I can do it.
it would take hours to write this and be physically exhausting. (I can type
like the devil though!)

My hands shake slightly all the time but I think of that as a by-product.
Dys-praxia (Praxis > Greek = Action)

Hammer

psyanide

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

If you need any sort of signup for this group, count me in.
I've just come through 3 3.5 hours of handwritten MSc exams. Gotta love
those berol handwriters - made me feel 6 yrs old all over again.
A seperate group would be v.v.v.v.good indeed.
:)

Leon Watkins (but you can call me psyanide)
Keep me informed....

Walkhurst

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

I'd be very interested in a Dyspraxia group. My 9 year old daughter has
recently been identifed as being dyspraxic. In the range of dyspraxia, I'd say
she's at the mild/moderate end, but it still causes her, and us, a fair bit of
grief. Needless to say, we've had loads of problems with her school teacher -
at least two years of endless criticism for being 'disorganised, lazy,
inattentive, clumsy' etc.etc. In these two years, we've seen our cheerful,
happy go lucky little girl become quite temperamental, lacking in motivation
and pretty unhappy at school. Sadly, talking to parents of other dyspraxic
children, this seems to be fairly usual.
I understand that lots of the problems of dyspraxic people are similar to
dyslexic people - especially in terms of the emotional effects. So, I get a lot
of support from this group, already - Thank you. It would still be good,
though, to have another group more specifically aimed at the issues raised by
Dyspraxia.

Mary
>BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff">Subject: Re: New group for Dyspraxia
>From: "psyanide" <psya...@mindless.com>
>Date: 30/04/98 21:56 GMT

Mark Hamer

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Walkhurst wrote in message:
>Stuff Snipped<

In these two years, we've seen our cheerful,
>happy go lucky little girl become quite temperamental, lacking in
motivation
>and pretty unhappy at school. Sadly, talking to parents of other dyspraxic
>children, this seems to be fairly usual.

Indeed it does. I watched my son go through exactly the same process before
he was properly diagnosed. - I am Dyspraxic too and I was diagnosed at the
same time as him about two/three months ago (I am not very good with time) I
am 42 this year.

If you give your child love praise and support, she will manage. Kids
develop incredible coping mechanisms. As long as you support them and
believe in them.

Perhaps a dyspraxia newsgroup is a good idea I am in two minds (no pun
intended) about it. Are there enough of us with the time and energy to keep
it going?

This group is full of energy but when my first look at it included just a
handful of posts, one of them I think from Frank, bemoaning the fact that
nobody posted here anymore! It does take comitment, not only to ask
questions and decompress to the group, it takes commitment to support
others.

Peace
Mark

Ted Rosenberg

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98
to Walkhurst

Contact your ISP and tell them that you want to start a Usenet Newsgroup
, probably "alt.support.dyspraxia" Tell them that the Hierarchy's are
"education" "learning" and "dyslexia" . They will tell you the
proceedure to initiate a group.

Walkhurst wrote:

> I'd be very interested in a Dyspraxia group. My 9 year old daughter has
> recently been identifed as being dyspraxic. In the range of dyspraxia, I'd say
> she's at the mild/moderate end, but it still causes her, and us, a fair bit of
> grief. Needless to say, we've had loads of problems with her school teacher -
> at least two years of endless criticism for being 'disorganised, lazy,

> inattentive, clumsy' etc.etc. In these two years, we've seen our cheerful,

> happy go lucky little girl become quite temperamental, lacking in motivation
> and pretty unhappy at school. Sadly, talking to parents of other dyspraxic
> children, this seems to be fairly usual.

sewpurp...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2014, 12:03:31 PM10/31/14
On Wednesday, April 15, 1998 11:00:00 PM UTC-8, Rob Gillibrand wrote:
> Please could someone help me: I am trying to set up a newsgroup for
> dyspraxia and | have no idea how to go about doing it.

Did you ever get a dyspraxia news group up and running? I'd like to join if you have. Please send me the link. My son has dyspraxia.