ADHD, dyslexia and dysgraphia - my daughter's struggle

Angelfish

Oct 31, 2001, 12:30:06 AM10/31/01
My daughter had ADHD, dyslexia and dysgraphia.. Our public school system has a
2-year program for dyslexic children. My daughter was in it, but now it's
over, she's finished with it. She's 10 and in 5th grade. She's been diagnosed
and been in the 504 program since 2nd grade. This year, her teachers are
giving her very few modifications and constantly yelling at her and
threatening her that she's going to fail 5th grade if she doesn't try harder
and she's already trying as hard as she can. I don't think her teachers have
proper training in dealing with someone who has these disabilities, and they
don't know how to deal with her, so they yell at her. To make troubles worse,
the majority of the kids give her a hard time and make fun of her. Right now,
this kid is seriously depressed and on antidepressants, as well as taking
Adderall for the ADHD. Her spirit is not only getting broken, it's getting
torn to shreds and I am not sure at this point what to do, or what options are
available, but I have to do something. We are on a tight budget and can't
afford private schooling. I know that under Federal law, the public schools
are obligated to give her an education and work with her disabilities, but
that doesn't do a whole lot of good if the teachers don'tt know how to work
with her properly.

I would appreciate anyone's input on how to deal with this situation.

Jane

Thank you.

Ken Smith

Oct 31, 2001, 12:10:11 PM10/31/01
In article <y%LD7.43321$pb4.24...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>, Angelfish
<angelf...@home.com> wrote:

Sounds like my experience, except our school district never even tried
to help. You should contact your state department of public
instruction (assuming you are in the USA) and complain to them. Your
school district needs to be slapped by the state for non-compliance.
Also, remember that if you sue for damages and win, your lawyer gets
paid out of the proceeds and you can use the money to pay for private
school. Whatever you do, don't let your daughter suffer any more from
this unconscionable abuse....

catmik...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2016, 2:32:31 AM4/21/16
Hi there:
I'm just finishing a book on this! It's not quite out yet, though. It's called "Fine Until Kindergarten: A Parent's First Guide to Learning Differences."
First thing you need to know: your daughter is protected by federal law. It's the same law that made everybody build wheelchair ramps into buildings and it's called IDEA.

Getting support for your daughter is a bit like going to the DMV, but you do it through your
school. You follow a process.

Write a letter to your principal, asking for full educational testing and requesting an IEP, which stands for Independent Education Plan. You get an IEP if you qualify for special education. And dyslexia DOES qualify for special education.

Many school districts fight and lie about this, so that they don't have to provide services to children. But when you write that letter, an official clock starts ticking. They have to tell you within 15 days whether or not they will test your daughter. If you don't like what they say, or if they won't give her a full educational test (for free), then you can file a due process complaint. Seriously, it's like the DMV.

Dyslexia is called a specific Learning Disability. Here's more info:
http://www.asha.org/advocacy/federal/idea/04-law-specific-ld/

Here's how you file a due process complaint:
http://www.parentcenterhub.org/repository/details-dueprocesscomplaints/

Once she qualifies for an IEP, they cannot fail her.

For more specific information on doing this, go to www.wrightslaw.com.

If you are interested in when I'll release my first book, and if you want to read free research on more upcoming books, you can go to www.fineuntilkindergarten.com and just sign up for the reader's list.

It's true that teachers don't know how to teach this. But getting an IEP is the first step forward. Once you get an IEP, you can make your school pay to send your daughter to another school!
cat