John Smith

Apr 23, 2006, 1:02:12 AM4/23/06
"Kitty" <Conn...@Kitty.kat> wrote in message
news:rjtl42p0300mi1l32...@4ax.com...
> My BF's DD is turning 18 in few days, and his DS is turning 16...
> Among other festivities I've allocated a somewhat sizeable amount of
> money for their gifts. I asked my BF to check with them what they

Amazing, you must be one ugly Serbian if you have to spend so much money to
keep a boyfriend.

> want, something specific, a gift cert, cash, prepaid gas card what
> not...
>
> The kids decided what I least expected... They each want a check, so
> they can put money into savings. My BF swears up and down he didn't
> put them up to it, that it was his DD's idea, and that she talked her
> brother into doing the same, but that he didn't need much talking
> into.
>
> I'm perplexed and impressed at the same time. No new clothes, no new
> surfboard, or whatever they're into at the moment.
>
> I mean they're 16 and 18! That's not typical for that age, is it?
>
> Granted, DD has been working, babysitting since she was about 12 or
> 13, and has been making enough money to buy all of her own clothes
> since then, and DS works too whenever he has a chance.

Casey

Apr 23, 2006, 1:21:03 AM4/23/06
Kitty said

> My BF's DD is turning 18 in few days, and his DS is turning 16...
> Among other festivities I've allocated a somewhat sizeable amount of
> money for their gifts. I asked my BF to check with them what they
> want, something specific, a gift cert, cash, prepaid gas card what
> not...
>
> The kids decided what I least expected... They each want a check, so
> they can put money into savings. My BF swears up and down he didn't
> put them up to it, that it was his DD's idea, and that she talked her
> brother into doing the same, but that he didn't need much talking
> into.
>
> I'm perplexed and impressed at the same time. No new clothes, no new
> surfboard, or whatever they're into at the moment.
>
> I mean they're 16 and 18! That's not typical for that age, is it?

Well, it's probably less untypical than you might think. Once they're
16, money (cash or check) seems to be the best type of present. It's a
teenager thing.

If they actually put the money into savings, then that is even better.

> Granted, DD has been working, babysitting since she was about 12 or
> 13, and has been making enough money to buy all of her own clothes
> since then, and DS works too whenever he has a chance.

Sounds like the kids are really sincere in their request.

I'd stick a fork in it and call it done.

Casey

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Xenos4467

Apr 23, 2006, 8:16:07 AM4/23/06
Kitty wrote:
> My BF's DD is turning 18 in few days, and his DS is turning 16...
> Among other festivities I've allocated a somewhat sizeable amount of
> money for their gifts. I asked my BF to check with them what they
> want, something specific, a gift cert, cash, prepaid gas card what
> not...
>
> The kids decided what I least expected... They each want a check, so
> they can put money into savings. My BF swears up and down he didn't
> put them up to it, that it was his DD's idea, and that she talked her
> brother into doing the same, but that he didn't need much talking
> into.
>
> I'm perplexed and impressed at the same time. No new clothes, no new
> surfboard, or whatever they're into at the moment.
>
> I mean they're 16 and 18! That's not typical for that age, is it?
>
> Granted, DD has been working, babysitting since she was about 12 or
> 13, and has been making enough money to buy all of her own clothes
> since then, and DS works too whenever he has a chance.
My kids prefer cash too.

John Smith

Apr 23, 2006, 8:42:50 AM4/23/06

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:21:03 -0500, Casey <cclremov...@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Kitty said
> >> My BF's DD is turning 18 in few days, and his DS is turning 16...
> >> Among other festivities I've allocated a somewhat sizeable amount of
> >> money for their gifts. I asked my BF to check with them what they
> >> want, something specific, a gift cert, cash, prepaid gas card what
> >> not...
> >>
> >> The kids decided what I least expected... They each want a check, so
> >> they can put money into savings. My BF swears up and down he didn't
> >> put them up to it, that it was his DD's idea, and that she talked her
> >> brother into doing the same, but that he didn't need much talking
> >> into.
> >>
> >> I'm perplexed and impressed at the same time. No new clothes, no new
> >> surfboard, or whatever they're into at the moment.
> >>
> >> I mean they're 16 and 18! That's not typical for that age, is it?
> >
> >Well, it's probably less untypical than you might think. Once they're
> >16, money (cash or check) seems to be the best type of present. It's a
> >teenager thing.
>
> Last couple of years I've been giving them gift certificates, the
> prepaid Visa card, which they can use almost anywhere. I asked my bf
> if I should do the same this year, just increase the amounts. He said
> yeah, but that he'll check with them.
> The next day - today, he said the want checks, so they can put them
> into savings, they weren't sure they could do that with a prepaid
> visa. They know they can do that with a check.
> They each have a savings account.

Man! What price you pay to keep this guy around. He is not even divorced, he
has kids who are same age as you, he makes you pay his kids, and you proudly
proclaim to be his kitty (aka p*$$y).

You must be really fat and ugly to be this way. I never knew a Serbian women
so desperate to get a man. Don't they teach you self-esteem in Eastern
Europe? Your parents are happy to kick you out of the house, there is peace
in Serbia since you left, and of course now you are here, but the illegal
immigration bill is almost through congress, so your days are numbered here.
May God have mercy on your soul.

> >If they actually put the money into savings, then that is even better.
>

> Seems like that's what they intend to do. Otherwise I think they'd
> take visa cards, like before.
> I almost wanna say, hey, take it and splurge a little, but it's not
> for me to tell them what to do with it. If it makes them happy, it
> makes me happy.
> Knowing they want to put it into savings, I wish I could afford to
> give them more.

What? You can't squeeze more out of your welfare check?

> >> Granted, DD has been working, babysitting since she was about 12 or
> >> 13, and has been making enough money to buy all of her own clothes
> >> since then, and DS works too whenever he has a chance.
> >
> >Sounds like the kids are really sincere in their request.
> >
> >I'd stick a fork in it and call it done.
>

> Yes!
> I'm very impressed with his kids, tickled pink!

Being so fat, I am sure you have a lot of surface area to be tickled.
Hehehehehe.

DrLith

Apr 23, 2006, 7:19:14 AM4/23/06
Kitty wrote:

> Last couple of years I've been giving them gift certificates, the
> prepaid Visa card, which they can use almost anywhere.

They can't use them to buy drugs, get a tattoo, or pay the cover charge
to get into their friends' keggers ;-)

JK!

My Own Doppelganger

Apr 23, 2006, 10:30:25 AM4/23/06
Kids today are much more sophisticated these days. Although it is
still kind of hard to believe that this me from an 18 and 16 year old.
More power to 'em... :-)

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:55:10 -0700, Kitty <Conn...@Kitty.kat> wrote:

>My BF's DD is turning 18 in few days, and his DS is turning 16...
>Among other festivities I've allocated a somewhat sizeable amount of
>money for their gifts. I asked my BF to check with them what they
>want, something specific, a gift cert, cash, prepaid gas card what
>not...
>
>The kids decided what I least expected... They each want a check, so
>they can put money into savings. My BF swears up and down he didn't
>put them up to it, that it was his DD's idea, and that she talked her
>brother into doing the same, but that he didn't need much talking
>into.
>
>I'm perplexed and impressed at the same time. No new clothes, no new
>surfboard, or whatever they're into at the moment.
>
>I mean they're 16 and 18! That's not typical for that age, is it?
>

>Granted, DD has been working, babysitting since she was about 12 or
>13, and has been making enough money to buy all of her own clothes
>since then, and DS works too whenever he has a chance.

____________________
You do what you do and you pay for your sins
and there's no such thing as what might have been...
that's a waste of time...drive you out of your mind...

Yooper

Apr 23, 2006, 11:11:19 AM4/23/06

"Kitty" <Conn...@Kitty.kat> wrote in message

> I mean they're 16 and 18! That's not typical for that age, is it?

Watching a parent struggle tends to give some teens impetus
to not allow themselves to fall into a similar situation.

The extreme example?
After growing up in the 20's and 30's, my parents
were adamant about saving.

It happens.

Rog'

Apr 23, 2006, 11:36:49 AM4/23/06
"Yooper" <cj.don't3w...@no.spam> wrote:
> After growing up in the 20's and 30's, my parents were adamant
> about saving. It happens.

And quite debt adverse, I'll bet. My ex's parents had only one
gas co. credit card, used occasionally and only for gas. They
owned their home outright and paid cash for everything else.
=R=

Casey

Apr 23, 2006, 11:52:21 AM4/23/06
DrLith said

You are bad!

Casey

John Smith

Apr 23, 2006, 12:19:31 PM4/23/06
"DrLith" <drl...@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message

LOL. That is a good point. Or they can't use the gift certificates to pay
child support to any girl they may have knocked up ;-)

> JK!

John Smith

Apr 23, 2006, 12:22:21 PM4/23/06
"Yooper" <cj.don't3w...@no.spam> wrote in message

Were they allowed to save money on the plantation?

John Smith

Apr 23, 2006, 12:25:58 PM4/23/06
"Rog'" <rcblin...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

I bet you the banks hated them :-)

Currently, Americans have a negative savings rate. That is right. We spend
more (borrowed money) than we earn.

It is funny we go to Wal-Mart to find the cheapest prices only to charge the
merchandise on credit cards to pay 18% interest. And then we repay the
credit card over time, so the cheap crap at walmart all of a sudden cost us
a lot more than we thought it was going to cost. Granted, there are some who
pay off their cards every month, but those are a tiny minority.

Message has been deleted

John Smith

Apr 23, 2006, 1:16:23 PM4/23/06
<john_s...@microsoft.com>

> wrote:
>
> >> visa. They know they can do that with a check.
> >> They each have a savings account.
> >
> >Man! What price you pay to keep this guy around. He is not even divorced,
he
> >has kids who are same age as you, he makes you pay his kids, and you
proudly
> >proclaim to be his kitty (aka p*$$y).
> >
> >You must be really fat and ugly to be this way.
>
> LOL!
> I see her exactly like that.

They call women like her "Babushkas" in Serbia.

Message has been deleted

Yooper

Apr 23, 2006, 1:42:31 PM4/23/06

"Rog'" <rcblin...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Not a single credit card.
The mortgage and car loan were it.
Everything else was bought with cash.

Bill in Co.

Apr 23, 2006, 2:10:03 PM4/23/06
Kitty wrote:
> My BF's DD is turning 18 in few days, and his DS is turning 16...
> Among other festivities I've allocated a somewhat sizeable amount of
> money for their gifts. I asked my BF to check with them what they
> want, something specific, a gift cert, cash, prepaid gas card what
> not...
>
> The kids decided what I least expected... They each want a check, so
> they can put money into savings. My BF swears up and down he didn't
> put them up to it, that it was his DD's idea, and that she talked her
> brother into doing the same, but that he didn't need much talking
> into.
>
> I'm perplexed and impressed at the same time. No new clothes, no new
> surfboard, or whatever they're into at the moment.
>
> I mean they're 16 and 18! That's not typical for that age, is it?

I don't think it's typical. I'd say bully for them! It's good to hear
that this stuff still exists in today's world!

Barbara Sz.

Apr 23, 2006, 2:19:01 PM4/23/06
My parents are also very debt averse. During my growing up, the only
debts they had were the house mortgage and cars until later in their
life when they could and did pay cash for them. Even now, on my dad's
pension and social security, they are taking in almost 2x what they
spend and they sock the rest away in CDs. When they sold their house
last summer, they did put that in some sort of mutual fund account with
their credit union.

My mother "hates" that I have to put things on credit cards ever (car
repairs, unexpected surgical procedures, etc.), but I don't have the
liquidity to not have to do that for those kind of unexpected expenses.
It's better than when I was married. My ex was a spendthrift and we had
5-figure debt (had to take out a home equity loan to pay that off)
which I inherited as my share of our marital debt at the time of the
divorce. Fortunately his remarriage prompted the sale of the house and
the repayment of that debt @18 months after the divorce, so I got out
from under that albatross, but it still makes me doubly conscious of
saving and not spending. -- Barbara Sz.

Bill in Co.

Apr 23, 2006, 2:41:08 PM4/23/06
Yup, and I think it's part of the Depression Era mindset. And they grew up
with it.

You know, in the old days of the not too distant past, if you didn't have
the money for something, you waited - and saved up for it - until you did
have the money for said item.

But I think it's fading trend, though. Well, I know it is, as we are
increasingly becoming debt ridden in the home and as a nation. But
fortunately there are still a few of us with those old school values, who
have done our best to pass it on to our kids! Which is teaching them an
important and valuable lesson.

My Own Doppelganger

Apr 23, 2006, 2:56:56 PM4/23/06
My parents were also extremely debt averse. It wasn't the depression
that shaped their risk aversion. My mom grew up in China during WWII
& my dad, during the Communist Green Revolution (yeah - mom was 10
years older than dad). Both of them hated debt. They only had one
credit card and always paid off the balance. Aside from that, the
only other debt they had was the mortgage and the car - and they paid
both of 'em off early.

I think the trauma of having everything (both came from wealthy
families) to having nothing does that to a person...

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 11:11:19 -0400, "Yooper" <cj.don't3w...@no.spam>

Yooper

Apr 23, 2006, 4:31:00 PM4/23/06

"Bill in Co." <surly_cu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Yup, and I think it's part of the Depression Era mindset. And they grew
> up
> with it.

You're absolutely right, Bill.

> You know, in the old days of the not too distant past, if you didn't have
> the money for something, you waited - and saved up for it - until you did
> have the money for said item.

Some of us tried very hard to do that all our lives.
We were raised by parents who instilled that in us.

> But I think it's fading trend, though. Well, I know it is, as we are
> increasingly becoming debt ridden in the home and as a nation.

Indeed.
It costs a hell of a lot to live when everything you need is made by
someone else.
When that "someone else" is not your immediate neighbor,
there is no likelyhood that your money (or effort) will come back.
Hence, you must borrow to...
(insert anything "necessary" to survive in the USA)
Find the "real" culprit Bill,...and then you may have something
constructive to rail on about.
The difference between life in the USA in the 1950's and now,
is that the money men,
(and No,...not the lawyers, you're not looking high enough)
...no longer care who they pay.
"Other Countries" were all considered "Evil" with a capital E
back then.
We had just come out of a World Freakin' War!
Now they are considered untapped money wells.

Follow the money Bill,... follow the money.
Honestly,...listening to you talk about other people
"...not seeing the forest for the trees" is like being
the Ranger in the chopper watching you bump your way
through a tamarack swamp.

> But
> fortunately there are still a few of us with those old school values, who
> have done our best to pass it on to our kids! Which is teaching them an
> important and valuable lesson.

There are more of us than you think.
*Bank* on it.
:^)
(hee hee,...I made a financial funny!)

John Smith

Apr 23, 2006, 5:29:55 PM4/23/06

<john_s...@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"DaIe" <singIeand...@norcoinc.net> wrote in message
> >> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 05:42:50 -0700, "John Smith"
> ><john_s...@microsoft.com>

> >he
> >proudly

> >> LOL!
> >> I see her exactly like that.
> >
> >They call women like her "Babushkas" in Serbia.
> >
> LOL!
> I suspect Kitty Litter's 'boyfriend' will be moving on when the money runs
out.

In my book he is milking her. Or is he milfing her. hahahahahaha.

> Would you want to live with some 'thing' like her?
> But men can be men. Any port in a storm.
> Or in Babushka's case any 'pork' in a storm.

LOL! That is a good one.

> It's fascinating to see so many completely whacked out desperate broads
feeding
> off each others fantasies in a group like this.

She is paying the loser to stay with her, she is bribing his kids, and then
she is always here posting. That tells you something. He doesn't want her
around him. Methinks she is a fat Babushka.

She migrated from Serbia to America. That's Serbia's gain and America's
loss. :-)

Message has been deleted

John Smith

Apr 23, 2006, 7:31:51 PM4/23/06
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:29:55 -0700, "John Smith"
> LOL!
> In Kitty Litter's case milf must stand for "Mothers I Loath to Fuck"

LOL. Hahahaha. "Mothers I Loath to Fuck" because kitty litter is a fat
Babushka. I mean she has to be butt-ugly if she is paying him for
you-know-what.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Nearl J Icarus

Apr 24, 2006, 3:17:28 AM4/24/06
Conn...@Kitty.kat says...

>I'm perplexed and impressed at the same time. No new clothes, no new
>surfboard, or whatever they're into at the moment.

>I mean they're 16 and 18! That's not typical for that age, is it?

My youngest son had gotten into a habit of not doing as much as he should at
the start of a semester in school and then make it all up at the end and pass
his tests. I've been trying to get him to keep the effort up through the year
so he doesn't have to play this catch up game.

So I got out his report card and asked him what type reward system would he
want to motivate him to keep his grades up. Give him something to look forward
to for doing well. He said that he should keep his grades up because he
should keep his grades up and not for something in return.

I don't remember exactly when I asked him about this, but he would have been
around 16. He's 17 now.

If you raise your kids with the right values, you shouldn't be too surprised
that they make some great, insightful decisions. 8-)

Nearl J Icarus

Apr 24, 2006, 3:21:24 AM4/24/06
john_s...@microsoft.com says...

>Man! What price you pay to keep this guy around. He is not even divorced, he

Time to cut down on your food supply.

_mL_

Apr 24, 2006, 3:26:07 PM4/24/06
Kitty <Conn...@Kitty.kat> wrote:

>I actually have credit cards, but the little balance that gets on, is
>paid off monthly, so I carry zero balance.
>Things like hotels, car rental, online transactions are hard to do
>without a credit card. BUT, if there's no money to back it up that
>month in checking, it doesn't get purchased.

Same with me.
Just about everything i can i put on my visa card, then pay it off every
month. Even my health club membership (for the arthritis pool), prescription
meds and medical copayments all go on that card.
Like you, i don't buy it if i don't have the money at the time - dispite being
encouraged to spend. A social security check doesn't go very far, and i know
what it's like to be suddenly with nothing - i'll never go *there* again!

Anonymouse

Apr 24, 2006, 9:42:57 PM4/24/06

well I found I couldn't clothes shop for the teen daughter for anything
but like tye-died t-shirts....

so they got gift cards

--

- Call me ruthless, amoral, but never call me dishonest. -

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

ed_spain

Apr 25, 2006, 3:29:43 AM4/25/06
Hi Kitty,

Wow, I wish I had been that smart at that age. I would suggest another
small gift to go with the check: a copy of "The only investment guide
you'll ever need" (http://tinyurl.com/lo6al). Forget the stupid title -
the book is entertaining and SMART about money. Although the word
"investment" is in the title, and they DO talk a bit about it, it's
more about how to be smart with money. If they're interested in the
subject (and it sounds like they are), it's great for basic financial
health.

It's been my financial bible for years, and I reread it at least once a
year and give out a couple copies a year to friends.

Wish them happy birthday from my part ;->

Ed

Nearl J Icarus

Apr 25, 2006, 3:33:26 AM4/25/06
Conn...@Kitty.kat says...

>I did however think that with teens, there'd be more attempts at
>pushing the envelope.

Depends on what the envelope is they pick, I guess. 8-) I was pretty much a
dutiful son until Mom tried to interfere with who I was dating. Then all hell
broke out. When I go back to visit, she still has little odds and ends that she
wants me to look at, or fix, or help her out with.

DrLith

Apr 25, 2006, 6:28:01 AM4/25/06
Casey wrote:
> DrLith said
>
>>Kitty wrote:
>>

>>>Last couple of years I've been giving them gift certificates, the
>>>prepaid Visa card, which they can use almost anywhere.
>>
>>They can't use them to buy drugs, get a tattoo, or pay the cover charge
>>to get into their friends' keggers ;-)
>
> You are bad!

Well, maybe I used to be. How else do you think I know about these things?

rj

Apr 25, 2006, 10:48:08 AM4/25/06
<john_s...@microsoft.com> wrote:

>"DaIe" <singIeand...@norcoinc.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 05:42:50 -0700, "John Smith"
><john_s...@microsoft.com>

>> >Man! What price you pay to keep this guy around. He is not even divorced,
>he
>> >has kids who are same age as you, he makes you pay his kids, and you
>proudly
>> >proclaim to be his kitty (aka p*$$y).
>> >
>> >You must be really fat and ugly to be this way.
>>
>> LOL!
>> I see her exactly like that.
>
>They call women like her "Babushkas" in Serbia.

LOL...

E teb'ye? Teb'ye nazavariutsa "durok", konyesno...

Message has been deleted

rj

Apr 25, 2006, 1:28:56 PM4/25/06
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:11:27 -0700, DaIe
<singIeand...@norcoinc.net> wrote:

>And Babushkas like Kitty usually have more facial hair than an Italian man and
>more ugly moles than a Hollywood witch.
>It's no wonder she has to pay a guy to fuck her.<g>

Ha!

Ti dazhe bolshee durok chem Johnny...

Message has been deleted

John Smith

Apr 26, 2006, 1:55:35 AM4/26/06
"DrLith" <drl...@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message

You used to be what? BTW, I admire your posts. You are a smart person.

John Smith

Apr 26, 2006, 2:08:44 AM4/26/06
"rj" <rjk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

oh no! Who let rj out of the nut house?

ed_spain

Apr 26, 2006, 4:48:08 AM4/26/06
I second that, even if she did have the nerve to correct my Spanish ;->
I really love the Economist, since sometimes they take an emotional
issue (the one about the cuban boy a couple of years ago that was with
a family in Miami and got sent back to Cuba comes to mind, but there
are many), and strip away all the fluff and get right to the facts. DrL
is like that a lot, and I just love it.

ed_spain

Apr 26, 2006, 4:59:42 AM4/26/06
The boy's name was Elian Gonzalez, and here is more info:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/law/elian/ . The Economist's story is
premium content - sorry, can't URL it.