Respect

Ronnie Ruff

Nov 20, 2003, 12:46:09 AM11/20/03
I have read and posted tonite more than usual and now looking back I want
to reflect a bit on whom I respect in this group and why. I also want to
say that to get respect (not that I know :-) ) one must do a few things
imho.

1. Speak about what you know, ask questions aboout what you don't. 2.
Treat others like you would want to be treated (In other words if you
blast someone expect to get the same in return)
3. Above all remember YMMV and opinions are cheap and valuable at the same
time.

As to who I respect.

Any T1, period end of story, having to go through being a kid as a
diabetic must be so very hard.

Guy Williams. He takes aa lot of abuse and hands back good old fashioned
from the hip advice.

Loretta She takes a ton of abuse about that sig line but never gives any
back. She is a true type 2 success story! She had lots of setbacks early
on and kicked DM in the ass (that word again).. If you are T2 and have
problems with control Loretta has been there and done that.

Quentin Grady Always a good attitude, never gets drawn in to neadless
battles. Knows mopre than anyone I know about foods and what is in them.

Jude Crouch.. The fellow that started this group and tought a bunch of
folks how to eat low carb way before Ruby Tuesdays was jumping on the
latest popular diet. For diabetics it was not vanity but keeping a leg or
sight.

Charles Evans Charles and I did not agree on a bunch of stuff but
Charles knew his stuff on meters and always jumped in to help a newbie
find one to meet their needs. If they could not afford one Charles many
times gave them one of his. Charles is no longer with us.

Mack.. While Mac and I have not always agreed he has given of himself to
support this group with it's website and advice on pumping insulin from a
T1s view. There are usually more t2S around and Mack has been around to
help many of them.

Old Al.. Again no nonsense advice from his own personal battle. He knows
his stuff.

I have missed people but I am tired of typing, today was a bear at work.
MS just keeps screwing up their patches. BTW if anyone installed the IE
patch it disabled the 050 patch.. maybe tomorrow I will post a link for
yall. If someone reads this and feels more awake than I at this moment
feel free.

Thanks for listening.

Quentin Grady

Nov 20, 2003, 3:01:41 AM11/20/03
This post not CC'd by email

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:46:09 -0500, Ronnie Ruff
<linu...@despammed.com> wrote:

>Quentin Grady Always a good attitude, never gets drawn in to neadless
>battles.

G'day G'day Ronnie,

Thanks for the mostly timely reminder. In the "real" world it has
been a character testing day, misheard, misinterpreted,
misrepresented. You know how some days can be. This was one of those
days when I had to stop ... take a deep breath and make a conscious
decision to ignore the "minor" irritations and stay focussed on my
_long_ term goals. It wasn't easy.

>Knows mopre than anyone I know about foods and what is in them.

Thanks again. It is true I have a passion for unraveling the truth
amongst all the hype that surrounds nutrition these days. However
this is only part of the story. I wouldn't have learnt half of what I
have if it wasn't for the prodding of some people you know; Annette,
Mark, Frank, Wes, Jenny, Alan, the women whose names I confuse, a host
of newbies who ask new questions.

Before that there are a host of people whose names you might not know
who gave and gave with unstinting generosity; Martin Banschbach who
teaches nutrition to med students, Pete Beyer who spent considerable
time explaining disease conditions to me, Matti Narkia who finds more
references for anything than anyone I know, Alf Christophersen who
knows more about fish and taurine than anyone I have ever met, John de
Hoog who helped me immensely to understand the realities of Japanese
nutrition, Jay Tanzman who argued with me for weeks over the relative
risks associated with trans fats and saturated fats, William Biggs MD
whom many of you know, and more recently somebody called Nick who is
fixated on coconuts and the "virtues" of saturated fats, Nicholas who
in extreme contrast thinks he has cured his T2 diabetes with ultra low
fat ... and for further contrast the bloke who annoyed all the low fat
brigade by losing weight and improving his health on a diet with 80%
fat mostly of animal origin.

Best wishes and thanks to everyone.
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Alan

Nov 20, 2003, 3:21:26 AM11/20/03
wrote:

>I have read and posted tonite more than usual and now looking back I want

Can't argue. Thanks all.
I could add a few, but they know who they are.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz
dx May 2002, diet and not enough exercise.

Ozgirl

Nov 20, 2003, 4:26:15 AM11/20/03

"Alan" <loralde...@ozconnect.net> wrote in message

> Can't argue. Thanks all.
> I could add a few, but they know who they are.

Hmm, pick me, pick me! Is it a coincidence that I am the 3rd
"southerner" to add to this thread?? Or is it just that we Down
Underers are all still awake :) Annette, your turn ...

Ronnie Ruff

Nov 20, 2003, 4:49:30 AM11/20/03

Jan you are one of those that has been around for quite a while. So many
come and go, get what they need and then move on. There is something to
be said for those that continue to give long after they have absorbed so
much of the information available. The good thing about ASD is that the
more people that post the more there is to learn. And so then we who
have been around for a while can continue to learn. I know I missed
names.. give me a few past and present.

Annette

Nov 20, 2003, 7:58:05 AM11/20/03

"Ozgirl" <news_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Ok, Ozgirl, just for you!

I am rather surprised that no-one has mentioned Jennifer.

Still, she's not a lady to blow her own trumpet, but for tolerance,
patience and good humour she can't be beat. Her advice to newbies
is just plain foundational, yet she worked it all out herself, when
nothing else helped and she refused to give in and just let T2
diabetes steamroller right over her.

By now so many members here just follow and recommend the test,
test, test system, so much so that it seems like it's always been
around - but it took one brave lady to work it out and go against
the established wisdom. She's still around, posting when she feels
she can help someone, and all without any rancour or favour. She
promoted the importance of PP readings in regard to the prevention
of diabetic complications, long before that was accepted practise,
and has been justified in her assertations, as well as many other
tips and sage advice on handling the social difficulties that
surround and hamper our efforts to gain good control.

I have always liked what Quentin said about her.

"If you didn't exist, we would have to have invented you".

There are many others who's help and knowledge have been invaluable.
Many have already been mentioned, but another one I would like to
add to the list is YOU, Ozgirl. You are more knowledgable about the
management of GD and of reactive hypoglycemia than anyone else I've
encountered.

Another "quiet achiever"!

There's more people I'd like to praise, but I'll let someone else
have a go.

Annette

---

Diana

Nov 20, 2003, 8:49:51 AM11/20/03
Darn I missed the good list again :-) Well gotta keep trying I guess.

Love and hugs to ya
Di
"Ronnie Ruff" <linu...@despammed.com> wrote in message

Frank White

Nov 20, 2003, 8:53:04 AM11/20/03
In article <pan.2003.11.20...@despammed.com>,
linu...@despammed.com says...

<snip>

>I have missed people but I am tired of typing, today was a bear at work.
>MS just keeps screwing up their patches. BTW if anyone installed the IE
>patch it disabled the 050 patch.. maybe tomorrow I will post a link for
>yall. If someone reads this and feels more awake than I at this moment
>feel free.

I get EXTREMELY nervous every time Microsoft comes out with
a new patch, wondering what the heck THIS one is going to
do to my computer...

Really, I'm starting to think the holes can't be as bad as
this computerized Russian Roulette, never knowing if the
patch you install today may blow up on you tomorrow...

>Thanks for listening.

Our pleasure!

FW

Loretta Eisenberg

Nov 20, 2003, 8:59:51 AM11/20/03
Bro, I am so touched by my inclusion on your list. Thank you so much.
I am all ferklempt. But watch out the naysayers are coming. LOL

Loretta

--
In tribute to the United States of America and the State
of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with strife and

Alan

Nov 20, 2003, 9:14:12 AM11/20/03
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:58:05 +1100, "Annette" <acia...@bigpond.com>
wrote:

>I am rather surprised that no-one has mentioned Jennifer.

I applaud Ronnie for his courage in naming people, but he accepted it
wasn't exhaustive.

Jennifer's was the only name I mentioned in my personal thanks on a
different thread; her advice made such obvious sense to me on m.h.d.
when I first arrived. I came to a.s.d. much later.

But there are so many I didn't know, who had a part in setting these
newsgroups up, that I respect for blazing the trail. Guy has mentioned
some, as has Ronnie and others. I find there are too many to name you
all, because I respect anyone with the courage to keep fighting this
thing instead of just accepting what the medical system tells them to
do.

Ronnie is also right to praise those who hang around, providing support
when it would be easy to fade away like the majority. He should include
himself.
But I respect everyone here who is trying to support or learn or both,
apart from the trolls and the twits. We will all have times when we
disagree, either privately or publicly, but that shouldn't necessarily
mean that we disrespect that person for having a different opinion.

Cheri

Nov 20, 2003, 11:57:50 AM11/20/03
Never gives any back? Get real. That's what I like and respect about her
the most. She doesn't allow people to disrespect her and her heritage,
and she's passionate about it at times. She is a great success story and
a valuable contributor and I always look forward to her posts. :-)

--
Cheri

Loretta Eisenberg

Nov 20, 2003, 2:09:45 PM11/20/03
Cheri thanks for the kind words. I am blushing from this.

:-) like I blush, lol

Ronnie Ruff

Nov 20, 2003, 9:18:21 PM11/20/03
Annette wrote:

> I am rather surprised that no-one has mentioned Jennifer.
>
> Still, she's not a lady to blow her own trumpet, but for tolerance,
> patience and good humour she can't be beat. Her advice to newbies
> is just plain foundational, yet she worked it all out herself, when
> nothing else helped and she refused to give in and just let T2
> diabetes steamroller right over her.

You know she jumped right in there (my head) about
10 minutes later and I said to myself "I should do an addition" and then
I thought, no.. someone else will remember.. Thanks Annette, Jennifer is
the best greeter we have and I always feel good when I see her jump in
with a newbie.

Ronnie Ruff

Nov 20, 2003, 9:20:12 PM11/20/03
Cheri wrote:

Well what I mean is she gives her position and then lets it drop, not
getting caught up in it like yours truly.

Cheri

Nov 21, 2003, 12:40:15 PM11/21/03
Yes, I have a tendency to get caught up in things too. :-)