Iron In Diabetes

ironjustice

Aug 23, 2021, 5:31:26 PM8/23/21
Diabetes Cause Linked to Iron
Sep 28, 2012

Researchers at the University of Copenhagen, in conjunction with those at Novo Nordisk A/S, have presented a new concept concerning the cause of diabetes which is linked to iron and how it causes beta cell death….

The pancreas is the "diabetes organ" because it produces beta cells, found in the islets of Langerhans, which play a crucial role in the disease. Beta cells respond to an increase in sugar levels in the blood stream by releasing insulin (which they store) and also producing more of the hormone so sugar can be transported into the cells.

In people who have type 2 diabetes, the beta cells are unable to produce enough of the insulin the body needs. One reason for this problem may be blamed on the increased activity of a protein that transports iron and also destroys beta cells.

According to Professor Thomas Mandrup-Poulsen, of the Department of Biomedical Sciences, "increased activity of a certain iron transporter causes damage to the beta cell," which can lead to diabetes. More specifically, in this new study, which was conducted using mice, the researchers reported several important findings:

It is the first study to show a link between inflammation and the transport of iron, which the investigators believe to be the underlying cause of a higher risk for diabetes;
Inflammatory signal factors produced around the beta cells in people who have either type 1 or type 2 diabetes speed up the activity of the iron transporter; and
Removal of the iron transporter in genetically modified mice resulted in the animals being protected against diabetes.
A recent (2012) meta-analysis published in PLoS One explored the relationship between the body’s iron stores or iron intake from the diet and the risk of type 2 diabetes. Sixteen studies were evaluated with a total of more than 13,500 patients with type 2 diabetes and more than 220,000 controls. The final review also included an additional 15 studies.

Overall, the reviewers found that increased levels of stored iron and iron intake from the diet were both associated with a higher risk of type 2 diabetes.

In the October 2011 issue of Diabetes Care, researchers noted the effect of elevated transferrin saturation on the risk of diabetes. Transferrin is a type of glycoprotein that binds with iron and controls the amount of free iron in the blood.

The researchers combined patient information from three population-type studies, giving them a total of 8,535 patients with diabetes and 37,039 controls. Overall they found that elevated transferrin saturation was associated with a two- to three-fold increase risk of developing type 1 diabetes or type 2 diabetes.

In a prior study published in Diabetes Care, a research team looked at the role of iron in diabetes and its complications. They noted that both animal and human studies indicate iron plays a part in diabetic nephropathy (kidney disease), atherosclerosis, and vascular disease.

What this new study means is that individuals who have prediabetes or who are concerned about developing diabetes may want to talk to their healthcare providers about their use of iron supplements and iron in their diet. However, Mandrup-Poulsen noted the need to conduct further studies concerning iron content in the body and diabetes risk, and that, "Only then will we be able to advise people at risk of diabetes not to take iron supplements, or recommend drug treatment to reduce the amount of iron in the body."

The findings of the new study also can be applied to research in a number of areas. Although the investigators revealed a link between diabetes — specifically beta cells — and iron, the model can be used to study other cells that are sensitive to iron, such as heart and liver cells.

Ellervik C et al. Elevated transferrin saturation and risk of diabetes: three population-based studies. Diabetes Care 2011 Oct; 34(10): 2256-58
Swaminathan S et al. The role of iron in diabetes and its complications. Diabetes Care 2007 July; 30(7): 1926-33

Zhao Z et al. Body iron stores and heme-iron intake in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One 2012; 7(7): e41641
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/diabetes-cause-linked-to-iron/

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://tinyurl.com/a3cc3

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
http://tinyurl.com/zk9fk

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 23, 2021, 6:29:36 PM8/23/21
The only **healthy** way to reduce body iron stores is by stopping the
overeating thereby also losing the unhealthy http://HeartMDPhD.com/VAT

In the interim, I am indeed wonderfully hungry (
https://tinyurl.com/StatCOVID19Test ) and hope you, Tom, also have a
healthy appetite too.

So how are you ?

HeartDoc Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Cardiologist with an http://HeartMDPhD.com/EternalMedicalLicense

ironjustice

Aug 23, 2021, 9:01:35 PM8/23/21
On Monday, August 23, 2021 at 4:29:36 PM UTC-
You believe eating two pounds of meat per day is going to allow for the lowering of one's iron levels.

'The only **healthy** way to reduce body iron stores is by stopping the overeating'

A high meat diet is KNOWN to raise the iron levels, and you deny it .. on my thread ..

"High level of s-ferritin may reflect high intake of reindeer meat"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21208473

“It seems that reduced insulin sensitivity in meat-eaters is amenable to improvement by reducing body Fe”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11591239

“Reduction of the body iron stores can improve”

“insulin resistance”

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31470879

You deny the science, without any **science** behind you, on a diabetes list, on an iron reduction thread, which, recommends the reduction of iron to treat diabetes.

Repeatedly ..

Get a study showing two pounds of meat a day lowers iron levels, or simply stay off my threads ..

Thanks boss ..

" blood donation may prevent not just diabetes but also cardiovascular disease"

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://tinyurl.com/a3cc3

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
http://tinyurl.com/zk9fk

ironjustice

Aug 23, 2021, 9:09:42 PM8/23/21
You see this, they want to lower the hemoglobin, it seems it may be set too high, and need to lower it, just like I've been saying, I believe, confirming my contention, 'there is no iron deficiency in the world', orrr, 'tom's right, he's been right all along, he's absolutely right and .. we're wrong' ..

Just admit it doc .. you're wrong ..

Are Hemoglobin Cutoffs for Anemia Outdated?
— A growing call for WHO criteria to be tightened

A nurse wearing white rubber gloves takes a blood sample from a patient’s finger.
The WHO's long-standing hemoglobin cutoffs for anemia do not match reality for people around the world, a cross-sectional study found.

Pooled fifth percentile estimates of hemoglobin were 9.65 g/dL for children and 10.81 g/dL for women across 27 nutrition surveys from 25 countries, with low inter-survey variance around these estimates, reported O. Yaw Addo, PhD, of the CDC and Emory University in Atlanta, and colleagues.

In line with this finding, hemoglobin concentrations plotted against soluble transferrin receptor (a biomarker of tissue iron deficiency and a physiological indicator of erythropoiesis) reveal compensatory increased erythropoiesis when hemoglobin dips below 9.61 g/dL among children and 11.01 g/dL among women, they noted in JAMA Network Open.

Thus, the newly calculated multinational fifth percentile estimates of hemoglobin are more than 1.0 g/dL lower than current WHO cutoffs for defining anemia in apparently healthy people: 11.0 g/dL for children up to 5 years old and 12.0 g/dL for nonpregnant women.

The study authors said that this change is supported by other studies that also called for a decrease of approximately 1.0 g/dL in hemoglobin cutoffs.

Moreover, they said their results "support the use of a pooled multinational Hb [hemoglobin] fifth percentile for defining anemia, as opposed to adopting Hb estimates that are specific to a survey, country, or race/ethnicity, which could lead to proliferation of multiple different Hb cutoffs and, thus, complicate their clinical application and global disease burden quantification, among other factors."

Released in 1968, the WHO cutoffs had been based on smaller studies of Europeans and Canadians and later validated using a U.S. population.

"Evaluation of the WHO Hb cutoffs has been a subject of active research for decades. These cutoffs were derived from statistical cutoffs not linked with physiological or health outcomes. Furthermore, the appropriateness of these cutoffs for defining anemia among certain population groups, age groups, and ethnicities has been questioned repeatedly," Addo and colleagues wrote.

Anemia is defined as having hemoglobin levels too low to meet an individual's physiological needs.

However, evaluating other factors associated with anemia (e.g., malaria, vitamin A, vitamin B12, folate, and inherited blood disorders) is also crucial to guiding anemia management, Addo's group cautioned.

The cross-sectional study was based on a healthy sample of 13,445 children (mean age 32.9 months, 50.2% boys) and 25,880 nonpregnant women (mean age 31.0 years), after excluding those with iron deficiency, vitamin A deficiency, inflammation, or malaria.

Survey-specific hemoglobin fifth percentile estimates ranged from 7.90 g/dL (in Pakistan) to 11.23 g/dL (in the U.S.) for children, and from 8.83 g/dL (in Gujarat, India) to 12.09 g/dL (in the U.S.) for women.

Study results persisted when using higher ferritin cutoffs to define iron deficiency.

The lack of uniformity in laboratory assessment of hemoglobin was a major caveat of the study, the authors acknowledged.

In addition, hemoglobin cutoffs were derived without input from medical records, precluding analysis linking hemoglobin with clinical outcomes.

Source Reference: Addo OY, et al "Evaluation of hemoglobin cutoff levels to define anemia among healthy individuals" JAMA Netw Open 2021; DOI: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.19123.

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://tinyurl.com/a3cc3

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
http://tinyurl.com/zk9fk

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 23, 2021, 9:25:30 PM8/23/21
Tom (aka ironjustice) wrote in part:
I **know** that when folks stop overeating, **instead** of dieting
(meat-only is dieting even if two pounds), they invariably reduce
their body iron stores along with losing the unhealthy
http://HeartMDPhD.com/VAT

Taking your continued interest here to mean "yes, you have a healthy
appetite," I, as a cardiologist remind you, Tom, that it's wonderful
knowing through our hunger (Deuteronomy 8:3) that we're both being
blessed right now as it's written in the Gospels in red&white at Luke
6:21 as evident by our not having a heart attack (aka myocardial
infarction) at the moment in accordance with pure logic
{healthy=wonderful & appetite=hunger} and advise that you try to write
that you're "wonderfully hungry" since we've re-established here that
you are:

So now how are you ?

ironjustice

Aug 23, 2021, 9:32:31 PM8/23/21
Google doesn't connect to your link there doc ..

Until you can show any kind of study where a high iron diet, that would be a meat containing diet, leads to lower iron stores, I must reiterate what I said about your choice to advertise falsehoods on my thread, that you are capable of leading someone to lower iron stores with your MEDICAL advice without any citations ..

Not even one ..

That's like a record ..

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 23, 2021, 9:49:22 PM8/23/21
> Google doesn't connect to your link there doc ..

Again, I advise that you, Tom, really try to write that you're
"wonderfully hungry" since we've re-established here that
you are:

So now again, how are you ?

ironjustice

Aug 23, 2021, 10:06:14 PM8/23/21
Doc, a low-iron diet is the ONLY way to lower iron levels, due TO, the iron enhancing absorption factor, found in meat.
The meat increases the absorption of iron from our fortified foods, and all other foods, sooo, it is **impossible** to lower your iron levels by eating meat.
It is illogical and disconcerting that you would believe that it can be done, since, as a doctor, you may soon become guilty of medical malfeasance, or more, since you are and have been fully aware of the studies of iron and diabetes, and should, with your limited knowledge of nutrition, still, be able to dedeuce and discern, but .. you still come up short ..
No pun intended ..

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 23, 2021, 10:19:03 PM8/23/21
> Doc, a low-iron diet is the ONLY way to lower iron levels, due TO, the iron enhancing absorption factor, found in meat.

In the absence of dieting, stopping the overeating automatically means
lowering the amount of daily iron intake. This does mean lower total
body iron because there is the normal daily losses of iron from the GI
tract's shedding of epithelial cells.

So again, I really advise that you, Tom, **really** try to write that

ironjustice

Aug 23, 2021, 10:35:14 PM8/23/21
'stopping the overeating automatically means
lowering the amount of daily iron intake'

Nope, the meat will increase the absorption of the iron from the other foods thereby becoming, 'not a low-iron diet', and ONLY a low-iron diet will decrease iron stores, period, and that low-iron diet is a nonheme diet, plants, which, contrary to your two pound diet, allows one to eat all the fruits and vegetables one wants, until the cows come home, unlike your paltry, two pounds.

“Meat-containing diets have greater iron bioavailability than meat-free diets with the same total iron content (5) because of the presence of heme iron and an unidentified enhancing factor. This results in a greater percentage of iron absorption or retention from meat-containing diets (6). Consumption of meat, fish, and poultry (MFP) is positively associated with measures of iron status in older adults (7). Comparisons of those who habitually consume meat with those who do not have indicated that consumption of a meat-free diet is associated with lower iron status indexes (8,9).”

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 23, 2021, 10:44:18 PM8/23/21
>'stopping the overeating automatically means
>lowering the amount of daily iron intake'
>
>Nope...

Yes. Just as decreasing a dog's intake of food decreases a dog's
intake of iron, so too for a human.

So again, I really advise for a 4th time here that you, Tom,

ironjustice

Aug 23, 2021, 10:55:09 PM8/23/21
On Monday, August 23, 2021 at 8:44:18 PM UTC-6, Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
You cannot seem to grasp the concept of the Herbivore Hypothesis, there doc.

The Herbivore Hypothesis, states, one cannot eat meat, due to the increased absorption qualities found in meat which leads to iron stores in meat eaters which cause insulin resistance.
And unless you can prove that lowering iron in meat eaters doesn't lower their insulin resistance, I think any argument you may try to put forth, will flounder and finally drown, in you sheer desperation to not have to admit you're wrong in you logic and science, to think a meat containing diet could ever be called a low iron diet.

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://tinyurl.com/a3cc3

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
http://tinyurl.com/zk9fk

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 23, 2021, 11:05:53 PM8/23/21
>You cannot seem to grasp the concept of the Herbivore Hypothesis, there doc.

Just as decreasing a herbivore's intake of food decreases a
herbivore's intake of iron, so too for an omnivore, like humans.

So again, I really advise for a 5th time here that you, Tom,

ironjustice

Aug 23, 2021, 11:14:47 PM8/23/21
Doc, you are advising how to lower iron levels, not iron intake, so, your advice is incorrect, a meat containing diet will not, not, lower iron stores, because? .. you cannot lower iron stores without consuming a low-iron diet, and a meat containing diet does not qualify to BE, a low iron diet.

Simple logic and any child with math skills, could understand, you cannot consider a meat containing diet, to be low iron, to treat any disease, let alone one in which the researchers **specifically** say, a low iron diet.

"it can quadruple the absorption of non-heme iron when the two forms are eaten together."

A simple experiment, slap yourself hard in the face, now quadruple that ..

ironjustice

Aug 23, 2021, 11:22:37 PM8/23/21
You saw this have you, simple phlebotomy, iron reduction therapy, as effective as, 'standard of care', in PCOS, the number one cause of infertility, and Hormone Replacement Therapy.

This should have been yours doc .. but noooooo ..

“Effect of phlebotomy versus oral contraceptives containing cyproterone acetate on the clinical and biochemical parameters in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a randomized controlled trial.”

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31470879/

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 24, 2021, 2:19:25 AM8/24/21
Tom wrote:
> HeartDoc Andrew, in the Holy Spirit, boldly wrote:
>> Tom wrote:

>> Source:
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.support.diabetes/85ZqCYZ3RjI/NUl2QHogAQAJ
>>
>>> (Those who are living (i.e. not dying) and yet really can't "say")
>>> they are "wonderfully hungry" are those who are hangry"
>>>
>>> Doctor Chung, you do know / have been told, you are confusing?
>>
>> Not by those who are saying they're wonderfully hungry.
>>
>>> In your interview for presidential consideration you seem to forget, being hungry actually makes you .. angry ..
>>
>> Not for those who are saying they're wonderfully hungry.
>>
>>> another Science based bit of evidence which you don't seem to believe.
>>
>> It remain my choice to focus on facts (i.e. what we can prove) instead
>> of beliefs.
>>
>>> You believe taking the food away from already angry folk, terrorists, and they will 'fall into line' ...
>>
>> No.
>>
>> I know that if hangry folks, including terrorists, started saying
>> they're wonderfully hungry, they'd stop terrorizing both themselves and
>> others.
>>
>> Therefore, while wonderfully hungry ( http://bit.ly/Philippians4_12 ),
>> I again advise that you, Tom, really try to write more clearly and
>> unequivocally that you're "wonderfully hungry" since we've established
>> here that you are:
>>
>> So now again, how are you ?
>
> I am wonderfully hungry.

Source:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.support.diabetes/85ZqCYZ3RjI/75m-tK6dAQAJ

8:3) us to hunger right now (Luke 6:21a), I note that you, Tom, are
rapture (Luke 17:37) ready and I pray (2 Chronicles 7:14) that GOD
continues to give us "much more" (Luke 11:13) Holy Spirit (Galatians
5:22-23) so that we'd have much more of His Help to always say/write
that we're "wonderfully hungry" in **all** ways including especially
caring to http://bit.ly/ConvinceItForward (per John 15:12) in the name
of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Amen.

Laus DEO !

http://HeartMDPhD.com/HeartDocAndrewToutsHunger (Luke 6:21a) with all
glory ( http://HeartMDPhD.com/Psalm117_ ) to GOD, Who causes us to
hunger (Deuteronomy 8:3) when He blesses us right now (Luke 6:21a)
thereby removing the http://HeartMDPhD.com/VAT from around the heart
Message has been deleted

ironjustice

Aug 24, 2021, 4:14:04 PM8/24/21
On Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 12:19:25 AM UTC-6, Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:

You don't seem to understand English there doc ..

Tinggal jauh dari saya

[...]

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 24, 2021, 4:30:24 PM8/24/21

ironjustice

Aug 24, 2021, 5:44:23 PM8/24/21
On Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 2:30:24 PM UTC-6, ach...@emorycardiology com wrote:

Memperlambat ..
Tinggal jauh dari saya kamu bingung mas ..

[...]

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 24, 2021, 6:49:58 PM8/24/21

ironjustice

Aug 24, 2021, 8:09:31 PM8/24/21
On Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 4:49:58 PM UTC-6, ach...@

You really are one little retarded fk ..

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 24, 2021, 8:29:08 PM8/24/21

ironjustice

Aug 24, 2021, 8:37:55 PM8/24/21
On Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 6:29:08 PM UTC-6, Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:

I can understand these nutbars doing what they do, but, you reallllllly surprise me ..

So stay hungry my friend ..

HeartDoc Andrew

Aug 24, 2021, 9:07:30 PM8/24/21