New Thow Away Pump!

1 view

s.miles5

Jul 14, 2005, 12:28:30 PM7/14/05
http://www.insulet.com/

This looks as if it's the 1st to go on the market.
There was a UK firm working along these lines but never heard any more about
them.
Sue Type1

RK

Jul 14, 2005, 2:13:22 PM7/14/05
It didnt' say if it was FDA approved yet for the US.
And it still isn't a closed loop system. I'd be very leary
about how they've presented it...

I'm a pumper, have for 2.5yrs now. I find nothing cumbersome
at all. I find it 10x more convient then MDI as a matter of fact.

This products page makes it sound like pumping is a death
sentence at the very least. It has no prices listed.. I'd like to
see how much the sets are and how many are packaged in a
batch..
--
RK, T1 // Animas IR1250
"I have better things to do then to be depressed.." dannik

"s.miles5" <s.mi...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Alan Hardy

Jul 14, 2005, 2:30:15 PM7/14/05
RK wrote

> It didnt' say if it was FDA approved yet for the US.
> And it still isn't a closed loop system. I'd be very leary
> about how they've presented it...
>
> I'm a pumper, have for 2.5yrs now. I find nothing cumbersome
> at all. I find it 10x more convient then MDI as a matter of fact.
>
> This products page makes it sound like pumping is a death
> sentence at the very least. It has no prices listed.. I'd like to
> see how much the sets are and how many are packaged in a
> batch..

i did not look very closely, Reisa. My idea is: if i spend money on
something, the last thing i want to do is throw it away. As for MDI, it
worked for me until Oct 2004, then slowly and surely went down the loo.
Besides, having to carry about them pens, syringes etc -- ouch, no, just
tape the pump to a hairy thigh (well, a shaved thigh LOL) and stick the
remote control in a pocket.

Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's off we go, singing with the pump on!

Guess who feels like a kid with a box of candy, then. This little lad,
that's who.

LOL (meaning Lots Of Love) to one and all

Alan H

Jackie Jacombs

Jul 14, 2005, 3:13:11 PM7/14/05

"s.miles5" <s.mi...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

The UK firm is still working on it see here though dont know what the
lastest news is.

http://www.nesta.org.uk/ourawardees/profiles/4249/print.htm

Also I cant see the point in having something throw away. Sasha, my 11 year
old has a pump and when asked several times if she minded being attached to
something all the time, couldn't really see what the consultant and
psychologist were getting at (we had to see a psychologist before we had the
pump). Sasha's reply is that she didn't see this as a problem and that she
was already "attached to her diabetes anyway"! and that she thinks far less
about diabetes now than she did before the pump came along.

Modern pumps are about the size of a mobile phone and I don't know many
people who haven't got one and I don't hear people complaining about
carrying them around. I think that we throw far too many things away these
days.

Are you thinking along the lines of getting a pump Sue?

Jackie Mum of Sasha pumping with a Medtronic 712

s.miles5

Jul 14, 2005, 3:47:51 PM7/14/05

"Jackie Jacombs" <jax_j...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Hi Jackie No I can't have a pump because I use bovine insulin so I have been
told by those in the know.
I have no intention of ever using GM insulins so not a cats chance in hell
of having a pump.
I posted the link as a topic of conversation more than anything there is
more info if a google search is done re costs etc,
Sue

Flying Rat

Jul 14, 2005, 4:20:29 PM7/14/05
In article <42d6aafb$1...@x-privat.org>, RK says...

> It didnt' say if it was FDA approved yet for the US.

http://www.insulet.com/news/item/147

You seem to be looking at it slightly negatively. I would say it's a
welcome move on from the need to use current infusion sets and the
associated tubing. It could well be of major benefit to those who have
trouble managing the traditional pump.

Just in the way prefilled pen devices can be beneficial to some, it
could open up the prospect of successful pumping to those who have
failed due to purely physical issues. I'm thinking along the lines of
people with mental problems or physical issues. Any new device which can
make pumping simpler has to be welcomed. Looking at it again, I can see
benefits for the partially sighted and frequent business traveller as
well.

As you rightly say, price could be critical for the rest.

Ratty

Alan Hardy

Jul 14, 2005, 4:29:49 PM7/14/05
s.miles5 wrote
> Jackie Jacombs wrote
>> s.miles5 wrote
You can use bovine in a pump, sue, provided it is clear (soluble). That
limits you to Hypurin Bovine Neutral, which is a bit too slow for my taste,
but Hypurin Porcine Neutral would be ok.

Alan H
--
Do, or do not. There is no try.

Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

RK

Jul 14, 2005, 4:59:06 PM7/14/05
"Flying Rat" <flyin...@SPAMgmail.EVERcom> wrote in message

> In article <42d6aafb$1...@x-privat.org>, RK says...
>> It didnt' say if it was FDA approved yet for the US.
>>
> http://www.insulet.com/news/item/147

no i didn't get that far.. i'm still only up to 30mins sitting up.

> You seem to be looking at it slightly negatively. I would say it's a
> welcome move on from the need to use current infusion sets and the
> associated tubing. It could well be of major benefit to those who have
> trouble managing the traditional pump.

I've really not seen nor heard of anyone having trouble managing a pump.
They're extremely simple to use.

> Just in the way prefilled pen devices can be beneficial to some, it
> could open up the prospect of successful pumping to those who have
> failed due to purely physical issues. I'm thinking along the lines of
> people with mental problems or physical issues. Any new device which can
> make pumping simpler has to be welcomed. Looking at it again, I can see
> benefits for the partially sighted and frequent business traveller as
> well.

I've emailed them asking of several specs they've failed to list on their
site.
For me, to have a small piece of tape attached to me and disconnect from the
pump when I want to shower or ahem.. you know.. I'd much rather do that then
have something totally attached to my body for 24/7 for 3 days at a time.
To me
thats far far worse then it is now, which I think pumpers will think so as
well, those
who don't pump such as yourself.. find it better, whereas pumpers can see
the ease
of a quick disconnect and away we can go swim for a couple hours, roll in
the hay
or a shower or the hot tub..

frequent business traveller still would have to carry supplies... and pumps
aren't made
for folks with limited sight. They're great for folks with hearing loss,
because they vibrate.
but they dont talk, and the screens are too small to see..

> As you rightly say, price could be critical for the rest.
>
> Ratty

I've also asked them what their cost is for the pump and for supplies.. If i
get a reply
i'll post it .

s.miles5

Jul 14, 2005, 5:06:53 PM7/14/05

"Alan Hardy" <alan.ha...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message > >>

> > Hi Jackie No I can't have a pump because I use bovine insulin so I have
> > been
> > told by those in the know.
> > I have no intention of ever using GM insulins so not a cats chance in
hell
> > of having a pump.
> > I posted the link as a topic of conversation more than anything there is
> > more info if a google search is done re costs etc,
> > Sue
> >>

> You can use bovine in a pump, sue, provided it is clear (soluble). That
> limits you to Hypurin Bovine Neutral, which is a bit too slow for my
taste,
> but Hypurin Porcine Neutral would be ok.
>
> Alan H
> --
> Do, or do not. There is no try.
>
> Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

Hi Alan can you tell me where to find this info about pumping using neural?
I asked my endo who said point blank no as the pumps were not geared for
natural insulin's I had no response what so ever from the pump companies.
According to the way my endo interpreted the NICE recomendations I can't
have a pump because I won't won't use the wonder insulin Lantoss.
My endo also said he had no experience of using the natural insulins and his
tone implied he was not going to find out either. So end of story.
Sue type 1

Alan Hardy

Jul 14, 2005, 5:57:37 PM7/14/05
s.miles5 wrote
> Alan Hardy wrote

>> > Hi Jackie No I can't have a pump because I use bovine insulin so I have
>> > been
>> > told by those in the know.
>> > I have no intention of ever using GM insulins so not a cats chance in
> hell
>> > of having a pump.
>> > I posted the link as a topic of conversation more than anything there
>> > is
>> > more info if a google search is done re costs etc,
>> > Sue
>> >>

>> You can use bovine in a pump, sue, provided it is clear (soluble). That
>> limits you to Hypurin Bovine Neutral, which is a bit too slow for my
> taste,
>> but Hypurin Porcine Neutral would be ok.
>>
>> Alan H
>> --
>> Do, or do not. There is no try.
>>
>> Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back
>
> Hi Alan can you tell me where to find this info about pumping using
> neutral?

> I asked my endo who said point blank no as the pumps were not geared for
> natural insulin's I had no response what so ever from the pump companies.
> According to the way my endo interpreted the NICE recomendations I can't
> have a pump because I won't won't use the wonder insulin Lantoss.
> My endo also said he had no experience of using the natural insulins and
> his
> tone implied he was not going to find out either. So end of story.
> Sue type 1

It will take me a little while to find it, but i can tell you your endo is
talking out of his bottom, with his brain disconnected. Lantus is a slow
insulin preparation, and therefore utterly unsuited for pumps. Pumps try to
imitate endogenous insulin, and there is no such thing as basal or bolus
endogenous insulin, just the one insulin in small amounts (basal RATE, not
basal insulin) or large amounts (bolus RATE, not bolus insulin). The pumps
are programmable to imitate that.

Porcine, as i think you probably know, differs from synthetic in only one
amino acid, but is folded correctly, whereas synthetic is folded
incorrectly. No artifically made protein is folded correctly, but for the
huge majority of ppl and dabetics that is no problem at all. We are just the
few.

The biggest problem with the pump (remember i am quoting others experience,
and the literature) appears to be needing to disconnect for --- well, you
know what for.

If you feel like it, try google groups, go to asd and also to mhd, and look
for willbill's posts.

Your endo is wrong again, because pump therapy started in 1974 when there
simply was NO such thing as synthetic insulin. If your endo was mine, i
would first boot him out of my team: second report him to the BMA for
telling me a deliberate lie. Thats just me, you are probably a much nicer
person than i am.

i apologise for shouting 'rate', but lots of people misunderstand a very
important difference. You are certainly not that stupid, but i can think of
one - exactly one - who 'is' that stupid. Not on usenet, though, in real
life. And who knows who is lurking?

Last comment for the moment, the sole reason i am changing is because in the
last 9 months my control has gone utterly out of control. My doc says it's
because of autonomic neuropathy, which he says i brought on myself by years
of idocy. i like him, he tells it straight down the line.

Fester

Jul 14, 2005, 6:06:19 PM7/14/05
So what you're grudgingly admitting is that you knew you'd be diabetic,
and you knew if you abused it you'd get to play with the ultimate gadget ;)

Tell me Al, did you have a childhood dream to emulate a bionic man :-)

Alan Hardy

Jul 14, 2005, 6:14:31 PM7/14/05
Fester wrote

i 'am' a bionic man, well with a bionic leg since 1974. unfortunately the
pump is not yet ultimate, a bg sensor and therefore a closed loop system
would be nearer perfection. i wouldn't give odds on it ever happening
though.

Alan H

DaveT

Jul 14, 2005, 6:24:48 PM7/14/05

"Alan Hardy" <alan.ha...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
Before they get NICE funding do you not have to prove that a Lantus/fast
insulin regime does not work?
DaveT

Fester

Jul 14, 2005, 6:26:17 PM7/14/05
So if you tell me you have tattoos on both you legs, i will only give
you respect for putting up with the pain from one of them ;)

I hope you do well on the pump though, i think you have the sort of
brain that would find something like that interested anyway, fun to
learn and play with. Hope to see your numbers back inline!

Thanks for the post re: basal RATE. I wasn't aware of the crucial
difference!!! Thankfully i now am. It had been confusing me a bit!

Patrick.

s.miles5

Jul 14, 2005, 6:43:43 PM7/14/05
Sorry Alan my bad grammar mis led you the endo wanted me to go on Lantoss
using injections not on a pump using it.
I can not use pork insulin as have no hypo warnings or control with it.
Sue

s.miles5

Jul 14, 2005, 6:56:58 PM7/14/05

"DaveT" <jus...@privacy.com> wrote in message

I have not read the blurb for a long time but believe it said where
appropriate,as far as I am concerned lantoss is not appropriate because of
all the adverse warning about it including the risk of cancer I have heard
more bad reports about lantoss than any other insulin.
Told the endo that committing suicide was against my religion, went down
like a ton of bricks :)

Sue

Alan Hardy

Jul 14, 2005, 6:56:58 PM7/14/05
DaveT wrote
> Alan Hardy wrote
Dave, i think you are right, but in my case
a/ 19.6 and 2.7 in the same day isn't working
b/ anybody who wants me to use Lantus has to get past the formidable pairing
of my DSN/GP. A military tank is likely to fail.
c/ i did not get my pump thru the National Hell Service anyways

Alan Hardy

Jul 14, 2005, 6:58:29 PM7/14/05
Pain?? PAIN!! Whats that gotta do wiv tattoooos? Only them wimps get pain.

Actually there are, and i am being serious here, which makes a change, and
so say all of us, well, i said it, anways, being serious, there are
techniques to deal with mild pain, relaxation therapy, Zen meditation, etc.
Tatts are mild pain, in some cases people have much more serious pain, and
then those techniques don't work.

> I hope you do well on the pump though, i think you have the sort of brain
> that would find something like that interested anyway, fun to learn and
> play with. Hope to see your numbers back inline!
>
> Thanks for the post re: basal RATE. I wasn't aware of the crucial
> difference!!! Thankfully i now am. It had been confusing me a bit!

You are welcome to my little tidbits of info, and i am honoured by your
thanks.

Which reminds me of a joke about honour -- on second thoughts we don't know
who is lurking, so i better not.

> Patrick.

Alan Hardy

Jul 14, 2005, 7:07:17 PM7/14/05
s.miles5 wrote

> Sorry Alan my bad grammar mis led you the endo wanted me to go on Lantoss
> using injections not on a pump using it.
> I can not use pork insulin as have no hypo warnings or control with it.
> Sue

There is no need to apologise, meduck.

If you cannot use pork or synthetic, then there is not much point in
considering the pump. i am grateful for the heads-up though.

i am also considering the points made by Ratty - well thought out as usual.

Alan

DaveT

Jul 15, 2005, 4:59:15 AM7/15/05

> DaveT wrote
snip

> Dave, i think you are right, but in my case
> a/ 19.6 and 2.7 in the same day isn't working
> b/ anybody who wants me to use Lantus has to get past the formidable
pairing
> of my DSN/GP. A military tank is likely to fail.
> c/ i did not get my pump thru the National Hell Service anyways
>
> >> Alan H
> >> --
> >> Do, or do not. There is no try.
> >>
> >> Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

I thought maybe your team had worked round it for you. ;-) Great if they did
not need to.
I hope all goes well with it.
DaveT

DaveT

Jul 15, 2005, 7:44:52 AM7/15/05

> "DaveT" <jus...@privacy.com> wrote in message
snip

> I have not read the blurb for a long time but believe it said where
> appropriate,as far as I am concerned lantoss is not appropriate because of
> all the adverse warning about it including the risk of cancer I have heard
> more bad reports about lantoss than any other insulin.
> Told the endo that committing suicide was against my religion, went down
> like a ton of bricks :)
>
> Sue

Like me you won't be an unpaid guinea pig ;-)
--
DaveT

T1 on BeefL and humalog when needed

Flying Rat

Jul 15, 2005, 8:45:44 AM7/15/05
In article <42d6d1d2$1...@x-privat.org>, RK says...

> I've emailed them asking of several specs they've failed to list on their
> site.
> For me, to have a small piece of tape attached to me and disconnect from the
> pump when I want to shower or ahem.. you know.. I'd much rather do that then
> have something totally attached to my body for 24/7 for 3 days at a time.
> To me
> thats far far worse then it is now, which I think pumpers will think so as
> well, those
> who don't pump such as yourself.. find it better, whereas pumpers can see
> the ease
> of a quick disconnect and away we can go swim for a couple hours, roll in
> the hay
> or a shower or the hot tub..
>
> frequent business traveller still would have to carry supplies... and pumps
> aren't made
> for folks with limited sight. They're great for folks with hearing loss,
> because they vibrate.
> but they dont talk, and the screens are too small to see..

I am looking at it from a purely engineering point of view, and making a
non-prejudicial assessment. As you remark, I do not use a pump.

The device lends itself to adaptation easily where a second tier of
handset could be manufactured with minimum retooling cost, making it
accessible for partially sighted users. Of which there may well be a
significant number.

People who have failed at traditional insulin therapies often get loss
of vision due to retinopathy, and that is precisely the subset of
diabetics who could benefit from this modular approach. With traditional
pumps the works are all combined onto the one detachable unit, whereas
with this new device the management functions are devolved to a separate
unit. That means much more flexibility in adapting the units to specific
needs, or using it with a magnifying device. I've seen how my blind
friend uses his cellphone with a magnifying glass (he has very limited
vision in one eye) and the handset for this device would be much more
usable to him than that on a current pump. Learning disabilities is
another possible niche.

Not everyone is a happy camper diabetic with everything intact and the
confidence to use the current devices. This new one has many intriguing
niche possibilities.

Jackie Jacombs

Jul 15, 2005, 7:12:49 PM7/15/05
Sue. you can use animal insulin in pumps and there is someone on the
insulin pumpers UK list who did and who still may do now!!
Dont believe everything doctors tell you, especially when it comes to pumps.
I was told a lot of rubbish about pumps from our consultant who knew bugger
all about pumps and didnt want to know.

Jackie mum of Sasha

"s.miles5" <s.mi...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

s.miles5

Jul 16, 2005, 3:46:32 AM7/16/05
Hi Jackie,
the letter I had from the endo that deals with my Addison's
made it quite clear he knew nothing about animal insulin's and had no
intention of finding out thus I could not have a pump also stated another
load of old cr*p which I knew was incorrect.
I refuse to tow the line and attend a diabetes clinic because of the very
limited diabetes knowledge that is available found I stay healthier well
away from them.
But since addison's my control is up and down quite a bit so wanted to fine
tune it but it seems as if my A1c's are fine so I don't qualify for a
pump(another excuse).So By tactical agreement my diabetes is not mentioned
when I see the endo. I also refuse to attend the special diabetes buildings
I just go to the main general medicine clinic to make my point.
Hope young sasha is doing well and enjoying her pump.
Sue type 1

"Jackie Jacombs" <jax_j...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Nicky

Jul 16, 2005, 5:43:20 AM7/16/05

> By tactical agreement my diabetes is not mentioned
> when I see the endo.

Yuk : ( What do you talk about - gardening?

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

s.miles5

Jul 16, 2005, 11:44:26 AM7/16/05
Thanks very much Alan for the link if I can find a way to access it I would
love to read it but for some reason my computer will not recognise it!
Help!!
Sue

> s.miles5 wrote
> > big snip

> > for
> >> companies.
> > can't
> > and
> >
> hiya sue
> Try http://www.idddtinternational.org/pumptherapy
> for comparisons of bovine, porcine, and synthetics in pumps.

Alan Hardy

Jul 16, 2005, 11:49:08 AM7/16/05
s.miles5 wrote .

> Thanks very much Alan for the link if I can find a way to access it I
> would
> love to read it but for some reason my computer will not recognise it!
> Help!!
> Sue
> Alan Hardy wrote
>> hiya sue
>> Try http://www.iddtinternational.org/pumptherapy

Whoops! silly me, i put an extra d in it. Corrected above. (one hopes)

Alan

s.miles5

Jul 16, 2005, 12:17:35 PM7/16/05
Thanks Alan you are a star :)

Sue
"Alan Hardy" <alan.ha...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Alan Hardy

Jul 16, 2005, 12:26:09 PM7/16/05
s.miles5 wrote

> Thanks Alan you are a star :)
>
> Sue

What took you so long to realise it? >>>vbg<<<

If you decide you would like to try a pump, email me and i will try to help,
because the local PCTs are ignoring the government advice about 'patient's
right to choose'. i will help if i can, coz someone helped me, and i always
believed -- and still do -- in the old revivalist song

If you've had a kindness shown, pass it on.

Alan

s.miles5

Jul 16, 2005, 1:34:50 PM7/16/05
Thanks for your offer Alan I will keep it in mind for when I see the endo in
October and mention the dreaded pump word again.
But suspect I won't get to far because I do not toe the line by using those
wonderful Gm insulin's :) and have no intention of doing so.
Hope you have great success with your pump.

Sue
"Alan Hardy" <alan.ha...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Alan Hardy

Jul 16, 2005, 11:03:22 AM7/16/05