how low is your sex drive with Lexapro?My partner has almost non.

janah...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2007, 8:29:20 PM2/5/07
Hello, I would like to ask some people who are currently taking
Lexapro or have been taking in the past... DID YOU HAVE ANY sexual
side effects? How about your sexual drive? I am starting to worried,
that in our home, we have bigger problem than this. My partner has
been taking Lexapro for more than 2 months, but last month he refuses
to touch me... Even hugs and kisses are less often. He still kisses
me, but when I start getting in to it, he is cold as a stone. He
repeats that he loves me, but he just doesn't feel like doing it. If
anything is happing in our bed, it's only because I do it... only if I
literaly guide him to it. It's starting to be really hard for me. I am
trying to understand what is he going thru. I want to know from other
people what is their experience with Lexapro. Maybe he just needs to
find something that would worked out for us.

kAPTAIN kAOSSSSSS

Feb 5, 2007, 8:51:47 PM2/5/07
Honey, is that you?
lol
I'm on Celexa, sounds scarily similar!
I just can't be bothered. Sad isn't it?!

<janah...@gmail.com> wrote in message

hana sevan

Feb 6, 2007, 8:23:44 AM2/6/07
I don't think so. My partner is taking Lexapro, I know that for sure.

On Feb 5, 8:51 pm, "kAPTAIN kAOSSSSSS" <kaos.kaptain at gmail dot com>

Nom dePlume

Feb 7, 2007, 11:46:08 PM2/7/07
<janah...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Loss of libido is a common problem with SSRI medications, like
Lexapro. There are many things one can do, from changing medications
to augmenting them to other strategies as well. I would recommend that
you read the chapter on sexual dysfunction in my book, available on my
Web site, for solutions to investigate. They do exist.

--
Nom dePlume, Ph.D.
Why, yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist.

Guide to Medications for Mental Illness:
http://www.geocities.com/nomdeplume1000/

=====

Pin Geek

Feb 8, 2007, 11:23:26 AM2/8/07
Again, talk to a doctor. I am not one. Perhaps your family doctor or
another psychiatrist?

My idiot shrink had me on.............
Risperdone (http://www.risperdal.com) for several months and saw no problem
with it, although he said it was meant for shizophrenics and he said I only
have anxiety mood disorder.

Shut my body down, made a polyp develop that had to be removed, a big one,
drained me of all emotion and I had suicidal thoughts constantly. An Indian
doctor at a hospital in NY prescribed. To help me sleep me says. Didn't
know anything else about it.
Try calling their phone number at risperdal. Nothing but recordings. No
mailing address.
I hope they get shut down. Sex drive? Destroyed that while I was on that
garbage and my girlfriend almost left me. I took myself off that poison.

My shrink also tried Lexapro, Zoloft, and some other crap. You should be
researching this stuff on the internet and the side effects. You may not
like it, but the info is out there. Research it, print it, take it to your
doctors, THEN decide what is right for you. and ALWAYS photocopy a
prescription before you turn it in. Keep a copy on hand in case you need it
down the road. I'm glad I did.

--
Josh

"Nom dePlume" <nomdeplume1000-at-yahoo.com> wrote in message

it.never.ends.2

Feb 9, 2007, 9:57:26 AM2/9/07

I was recently prescribed Lexapro. I could not take it. It was
making me sick and giving me hot flashes. Also had difficulty
sleeping and difficulty reaching orgasim. I had been on Effexor and
those side effects didn't kick in till the dosage was much higher.
Side effects are different for everyone, there are a lot of varying
opinions if you visit this site. http://www.drugs.com/lexapro.html You
should talk to him and try to be understanding. I wish the person I
had been with could have been more open with me.

Mike4570

Feb 9, 2007, 11:07:01 AM2/9/07

I am on Lexapro and have notice sexual side effects - primarily
somewhat reduced libido and delayed or unattainable orgasm. The
second symptom is listed in the PDR. I have been on it for six weeks,
and have some positive things to say about the medication also. It
has made me more assertive and helped the depression. Regardless, the
sexual side effects are troubling.

Joe

May 29, 2007, 5:48:43 PM5/29/07
I have been on Lexapro now for about 3 months (20mg). All of the side
effects have dissapeared with the exception of ejaculation delay. I now
take at least three times the amount of time to ejaculate. There have been
a couple of times where it has just been impossible. I have tried
masturbation a few times but this is a lenghty task. My libido has almost
returned to normal which makes it tought since the desire is there but the
process is very time consuming.

janah...@gmail.com wrote in news:1170725360.462005.94360
@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Message has been deleted

Nom dePlume

Jun 1, 2007, 11:20:54 PM6/1/07
"annie" <an...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> >janah...@gmail.com wrote in news:1170725360.462005.94360
>>@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Hello, I would like to ask some people who are currently taking
>>> Lexapro or have been taking in the past... DID YOU HAVE ANY sexual
>>> side effects?
>
> A drastically reduced sex drive is a common side-effect for most SSRIs
> like Lexapro.

In fact, it is a common problem for any medication that increases serotonin
concentration, including tricyclics and non-selective MAO inhibitors.

> Whether or not your partner is just suffering from side-effects, or (as
> you appear to be worrying) has lost interest in the relationship due to
> an interest elsewhere, I cannot say. But what you describe is certainly
> consistent with taking anti-depressants.
>
> Read this:
> http://ask.metafilter.com/61778/ssris-and-permanent-sideeffects
>
> And this:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSSD
>
> And here's a link to an article that mentions SSRIs and their sexual
> dysfunctional side-effects. It also goes into anti-depressants that are
> "sex friendly," (for example, Wellbutrin). However, these might have
> other side-effects for him (e.g. headaches)... meds are different for
> everyone. Some people do well with one, some with another.
> http://tinyurl.com/2bajwo
>
> If his depression is situational, he may not be on Lexapro for long. If
> it is chronic and this will be a long haul thing, then you can tell him
> he has choices if he wants to try one of the other meds that purportedly
> have less sexual side-effects. If they work, great. If they don't, he
> can always come back to Lexapro, and take the reduced sexual drive as a
> necessary trade-off.
>
> People that take anti-depressants often loose relationships over just
> what you are talking about. But is it really the sex you miss, or are
> you just worried he doesn't love you? If you knew it was just the
> Lexapro, and he's being honest when he says he loves you, then maybe the
> sexual situation could eventually be worked out.

There are ways to overcome sexual dysfunction caused by antidepressants.
They include changing dose, changing time of dose, changing medication, and
adding medications to counteract the dysfunction. The various approaches are
described in some detail in my book, which you can find on my Web site.

--

http://www.mentalmeds.org

=====