Bipolar & thinking of having a baby..

Candice Wong

Jan 10, 2007, 11:53:58 PM1/10/07
I was DX with Bipolar at a very young age. I got married at 21 and my
husband got me straighted out on my meds and I have been taking
Risperdal, Wellbutrin, & Topmax for years now and have been doing great
on them.
DH & I have talked about having a child from time to time.. but I
always worry about going off my meds. We have now been married 6 years.
I am now almost 27 years old and DH just turned 41 so we talked about
having a child again. I would really love to start a family. I feel
like we are missing out on something in our life together.. Not in our
relationship, that is great, I just feel like it is at that point where
we should start a family. But again I am scared about my Bipolar and my
meds.
I was wondering if anyone here has had children and what your dr did
for you? Did you completely stop your meds? Did you go on other meds?
What ever you did , Did you relapse? Did you have to be hospitalized ?
I have searched and searched on the internet. I found lots of info.
Some good, some bad. From what I read, non of the meds I am on can be
taken during pregnancy. But I read an article that said Lithium can be
taken while you are trying to conceive, stop during first trimester,
then continue on & off during pregnancy. If an antipsychotic is need
then to take Haldol.
DH & I are going to go talk to a dr probably next tuesday about this.
I also have another concern. My risperdal rx causes me to not have my
cycle.. so I have not had my cycle for 3 years now. But before then dh
and I never used any kind of birth control and I never got pregnant. I
do have an appt. to see a dr for a pap in march, it has taken a year to
get that appointment! So someone one told me I can ask her to refer me
to a fertility dr to have some test done but I am not sure if they can
be done while I don't have a cycle.. can they?
Thanks!

lmj_31

Jan 11, 2007, 9:39:57 PM1/11/07
Candice,
I jumped as soon as I read your message. I too have been thinking of
the same thing as you. I am on Effexor XR and am so worried about going
off the drugs to have a baby let alone the crazy things having a baby
does to your hormones.

My Pdoc indicated that I had to go off Effexor in the first trimester
if I became pregnant. How on earth does someone do that and remain
rational!??

I saw a documentary last year about a lady at the Monash Hospital in
Melbourne Australia who was seeing a doctor who monitored her pregnancy
while she was on bipolar medication and the woman had a healthy baby
boy. This doctor believed that patients did not have to go off their
medications when they were pregnant. I think when the time comes I may
go and see her. I can't remember her name and I don't know where you
are located. I presume there are some doctors that believe and some
that do not.

The medication you take that stops you from having a cycle really
interests me because my bipolar is set off by my cycle or ovulation.
Tell me why you were given this medication to stop your cycle. Is it
for the same reason as me?? I am hoping to see a gynocologist really
soon about this problem.

Otenkiya

Jan 12, 2007, 12:05:28 PM1/12/07

Candice,

Coincidentally enough, I am trying to conceive as well. I was diagnosed
with bipolar disorder in January of 2006, and was put on Lamictal,
Abilify, and Trazodone. After having some long, drawn-out discussions
with my pdoc, we came to the conclusion that I would come off all my
medications. I would imagine that I had the same concerns as you do as
far as what the effects of the medications would be on a fetus (none of
the information I found was very encouraging). As of January 1, I've
been off my meds for three months, and things are going pretty well -- I
have mood swings, of course, but nothing major. My doctor is still
monitoring me *very* closely, and I'm always keeping hospitalization
open as an option in case things get out of control.

In my mind, it's all about the risk-to-benefit ratio: Is the risk of you
being off your medication more dire than the risk of taking medication
would be to a fetus? You and your pdoc will have to decide exactly how
severe your BP is, and whether it is feasible for you to be off
medication, or on a reduced amount.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours!

--
-Otenkiya ^.^
I live for breaking the mold.

pebbl...@comcast.net

Jan 14, 2007, 3:21:17 AM1/14/07
to De...@google.com

pebbl...@comcast.net

Jan 14, 2007, 3:21:07 AM1/14/07
to De...@google.com

KT

Jul 14, 2007, 12:35:51 AM7/14/07
I know this post is old, but I thought I'd share my story with you:

I am Bipolar I with rapid cycling, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I was
diagnosed when I was a sophomore in college. After MUCH trial and error and
many psychiatrists, I was stable on Lithium and Neurontin.

In July of 2005, my husband and I decided we wanted to start a family. I
went off all my meds. Going off the meds was more rough than being off them
all together.

In October of 2005, I found out that I was pregnant! My first trimester was
really rough. My anxiety was really high and I was fighting depression. I
was seeing a pdoc who specialized in meds during pregnancy. After MUCH
debate and thought, I went on 2.5 mgs. of Zyprexa. It was the difference
between night and day. I could enjoy the rest of my pregnancy.

Isabella Louise was born July 11, 2006 by C-section. Perfectly healthy and
the happiest baby I know! :-) She's 1 year old TOMORROW and is walking.
:-) She's the light of our lives.

We plan to have at least 1, maybe 2, more children. And I will stay on my
Zyrpexa through out my pregnancy this time.

So, that's my story. I'd be more than happy to talk with any of you about
my experiences ... feel free to contact me. :-)

Keli

"Candice Wong" <cwo...@gmail.com> wrote in message