FAQ 8: ASDMM Suicide Statement

HeatherOK

Jun 7, 2007, 7:48:41 PM6/7/07
ASDMM SUICIDE FAQ8 (last updated 3-6-2003):

The posting of suicide notes is generally not encouraged by ASDMM. If you
plan
on committing suicide and want to say goodbye before you go please take into
consideration the well being of the other members of ASDMM. We are generally
pretty fragile group of individuals (we are bipolar after all) and seeing
those
types of posts could be a major trigger for a fellow group member to act out
on
their own, and in that case nobody wins.

There is not much we can do beyond offering you our support, that is, if we
are
strong enough to give it. The general recommendation of ASDMM is that you
should
seek professional help immediately.

We ask that you contract with this group to WAIT to take action for 24
hours.
We ask that you post again within 24 hours and tell us how you are feeling.
Below are some things to help you do this.

We understand that you are hurting badly and want to die; most of the
members of
this group have been there too. It's a tough place to be in, just remember
that
you are in a serious crisis situation and are probably not thinking too
clearly.
We just ask that you at least take a look at a couple of the resources below
before you actually attempt to "catch the bus".

1. Your local telephone book will usually have a suicide prevention hotline
number near the front of the book. Please call; there are trained
individuals on
the other end that can get you help.
2. Go to, or call, the emergency room of your local hospital.
3. Call your psychiatrist and/or therapist.
4. Call 1-800-SUICIDE in the U.S.
5. Talk to an on-line therapist: 1. http://www.metanoia.org/imhs/

Here are some web sites that can be of help:

Suicide? Read this first:
http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/

Resources:
http://www.buslist.org/help.html

Crisis Help:
http://www.crisislink.org/depression_screening.html

Feeling Blue Suicide Prevention Committee
http://www.feelingblue.org/
International Resources:
http://www.spanusa.org/ispp.html

Suicide Hotline:
http://psychcentral.com/helpme.htm

Depression and suicide:
http://www.save.org/suffer.shtml

(c) 2003 Hilaire hld3atnewsguydotcom
The current FAQs can also be obtained at http://groups.google.com/. The FAQS
are copywrited by each author. Use and/or reproduction requires prior
approval
of the author, NOT the moderation team. Please do not contact the moderation
team or news group administrator for permission to repost.