Google Groups ending support for Usenet

Luke Luke

Dec 15, 2023, 6:14:26 PM12/15/23
https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538

Google Groups ending support for Usenet

If you work with Usenet groups in Google Groups, support for these groups is ending soon.
What’s changing?

Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google Groups.

In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP servers.

Luke

Mel

Dec 16, 2023, 12:07:55 PM12/16/23
Luke, do you post on any other group? Do you follow any other group? I truly appreciate your posts--thank you.

Mel

Gary R. Schmidt

Dec 17, 2023, 3:49:07 AM12/17/23
Google is cutting off Usenet, Usenet will continue.

Get a newsreader and access to a Usenet server - eternal-september.org
is a free one I know of - and leaves your chains behind!

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Luke Luke

Dec 20, 2023, 8:27:45 PM12/20/23
On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 12:07:55 PM UTC-5, Mel wrote:
> Luke, do you post on any other group? Do you follow any other group? I truly appreciate your posts--thank you.
>
> Mel

Hi Mel,

Not presently. I lurk in the subreddit (www.reddit.com/r/IBD/) sometimes.

My health is worse these days so I have less time for any activity. Fatigue is my main problem which might be from Crohn's systemic inflammation but I have other issues which cause it as well. Personally I think its a team effort.

I'll likely try www.eternal-september.org as Gary suggested just to keep going here.

I hope you and your family have good holidays this year.

--
Luke

Mel

Dec 21, 2023, 11:16:21 AM12/21/23
Sorry to hear things ain't great--my son ain't well either. I have psoriasis and in desperation have been using an "earthing
mat--also called "grounding.' Seems to be helping--not curing. It is also helping my wife with her arthritis. It's cheap--maybe you should give it a try.

Mel

Luke

Dec 25, 2023, 12:00:08 PM12/25/23
On 12/17/23 3:44 AM, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
> Google is cutting off Usenet, Usenet will continue.
>
> Get a newsreader and access to a Usenet server - eternal-september.org
> is a free one I know of - and leaves your chains behind!
>
>     Cheers,
>         Gary    B-)

Hi Gary,

It had been decades since I thought of eternal-september.

But I got it set up using a Thunderbird profile specifically for
newsgroups.

Posting using them now.

Thanks,

--
Luke

P.S. So what is the cut off age for people knowing why they are
eternal-september?

Gary R. Schmidt

Dec 25, 2023, 7:39:06 PM12/25/23
On 26/12/2023 04:00, Luke wrote:
> On 12/17/23 3:44 AM, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
>> Google is cutting off Usenet, Usenet will continue.
>>
>> Get a newsreader and access to a Usenet server - eternal-september.org
>> is a free one I know of - and leaves your chains behind!
>>
>>      Cheers,
>>          Gary    B-)
>
>     Hi Gary,
>
>     It had been decades since I thought of eternal-september.
>
>     But I got it set up using a Thunderbird profile specifically for
> newsgroups.
>
>     Posting using them now.

Good on ya!

> P.S. So what is the cut off age for people knowing why they are
> eternal-september?

I suppose having been on Usenet pre-AOL even existing???? ;-)

Cheers,
Gary B-)