wood from skin pores

0 views
Skip to first unread message

bdr...@neca.com

unread,
Jan 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/30/97
to

My sister, a 26 year sufferer of Crohns has had the experience of having
small wood fibers come directly out of her skin. This gave her the feeling
of being stung by bees. It happened to various parts of her body. It was
very nerve wracking because she wouldn't know when they were going to
appear next. She experienced her last episode four years ago while in the
hospital being treated for Crohns. Her Dr. observed this happening and had
no explanation. She is visiting me this weekend and I told her about this
site and she asked me to ask if anyone has ever experienced this or heard
about it.
-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet

ryan masuga

unread,
Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97
to

bdr...@neca.com wrote:
>
> My sister, a 26 year sufferer of Crohns has had the experience of having
> small wood fibers come directly out of her skin. This gave her the feeling
> of being stung by bees. It happened to various parts of her body.

Anyone who knows anything about this, please post - I've got to know more
about this...it's so ...weird. Leon? Wayne? ANy of you Med journal reading folks?
--
ryan masuga

Wayne Marsh

unread,
Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97
to

> My sister, a 26 year sufferer of Crohns has had the experience of having
> small wood fibers come directly out of her skin. This gave her the feeling

> of being stung by bees. It happened to various parts of her body. It was
> very nerve wracking because she wouldn't know when they were going to
> appear next. She experienced her last episode four years ago while in the
> hospital being treated for Crohns. Her Dr. observed this happening and had
> no explanation. She is visiting me this weekend and I told her about this
> site and she asked me to ask if anyone has ever experienced this or heard
> about it.

I saw a reference to an article the other day reporting that a swallowed
toothpick mimicked many of the symptoms of colitis in a child. I know that
foreign objects in the body (shrapnel, bullet fragments, etc.) sometimes
work themselves out through the skin many years later.

Pure amateur speculation: Was your sister a chewer of toothpicks when she
was younger? Did she ever swallow pieces of a toothpick?

--
Wayne Marsh, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
wayne....@cdev.com

Ariel

unread,
Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97
to

ryan masuga wrote:
>
> bdr...@neca.com wrote:
> >
> > My sister, a 26 year sufferer of Crohns has had the experience of having
> > small wood fibers come directly out of her skin. This gave her the feeling
> > of being stung by bees. It happened to various parts of her body.
>
> Anyone who knows anything about this, please post - I've got to know more
> about this...it's so ...weird. Leon? Wayne? ANy of you Med journal reading folks?
> --
> ryan masuga

I heard some similar story once from somewhere source that I don't
remember
at all. Some kind of particle came out spontaneously in various parts
of
the body. This particle was something that was recognized as having
been
put in the body a large number of years prior (might have been metal
fragments from being shot, or something like that). It can take years
to work its way out - so it's possible that she got poked with the wood
fibers some number of years ago. I doubt that it has anything to do
with
the Crohns.

Ariel

bdr...@neca.com

unread,
Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97
to

In article <32F38B...@sugar-land.mis.slb.com>,

gur...@sugar-land.mis.slb.com wrote:
>
> ryan masuga wrote:
> >
> > bdr...@neca.com wrote:
> > >
> > > My sister, a 26 year sufferer of Crohns has had the experience of having
> > > small wood fibers come directly out of her skin. This gave her the feeling
> > > of being stung by bees. It happened to various parts of her body.
> >
> > Anyone who knows anything about this, please post - I've got to know more
> > about this...it's so ...weird. Leon? Wayne? ANy of you Med journal reading
folks?
> > --My sister has never ingested or been impaled by wood. This experience
happened to her 7-8 times over a 3 year period with the last episode around 4
years ago. Bill

>
> I heard some similar story once from somewhere source that I don't
> remember
> at all. Some kind of particle came out spontaneously in various parts
> of
> the body. This particle was something that was recognized as having
> been
> put in the body a large number of years prior (might have been metal
> fragments from being shot, or something like that). It can take years
> to work its way out - so it's possible that she got poked with the wood
> fibers some number of years ago. I doubt that it has anything to do
> with
> the Crohns.
>
> Ariel

EllenAdams

unread,
Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97
to

bdr...@neca.com wrote:
>
> My sister, a 26 year sufferer of Crohns has had the experience of having
> small wood fibers come directly out of her skin. This gave her the
feeling
> of being stung by bees. It happened to various parts of her body.

It is true that the body can work things out the skin over a period of
years. I was in a head on collision where I broke the windshield with my
forehead. Over a period of many years I would find bits of glass working
its its way out through my skin. (and yes, it was painful)

I can't imagine how to explain the wood. The only thing I can wonder
about is whether she ever was into high fiber food. I remember noticing
once that high fiber, low fat bread essentially had wood in it.

Reading this over I realize that I sound a bit crazed, but those who have
been in the group for awhile will vouch that I'm usually pretty rational!

Ellen

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages