Canasa suppository alternative?

m...@privacy.net

Feb 14, 2010, 2:55:12 PM2/14/10
I have UC

Canasa suppositories cost $12 a piece!!!

Any off the shelf alternatives?

Bill_M

Feb 23, 2010, 10:24:06 AM2/23/10
You say your diagnosis is UC. I assume you like myself also have an inflamed
or ulcerated rectum (Proctitus). I'm no doctor but have experimented with
over the counter Preparation H suppositories in the evening and inserted
ointment during the day. In my case I have actually found this to not only
be cheaper but also more effective since the inert base used in the Canasa
does not always dissolve but rather only softens and fails to discharge
medication. I have seen the entire Canasa mass ejected 2 hours after
insertion. Prep H on the other hand dissolves on body temp as the Canasa
should. I've been at this for 20 years and can only say it's a cheap
experiment. If your UC is low and does not involve the rectum have you tried
Lialda?

Axcan Pharma claims Canasa is only effective for treatment of Proctitus with
a dispersion of medication from the annus to a range of 10 to 20 cm from the
annus. This assumes the stuff dissolves. This makes me very angry since as
you well know it is not only expensive but they are the only game in town.

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

m...@privacy.net

Feb 23, 2010, 1:36:00 PM2/23/10
"Bill_M" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

>You say your diagnosis is UC. I assume you like myself also have an inflamed
>or ulcerated rectum (Proctitus)

Yes exactly same Bill!

I have what is considered mild UC and
proctitis....although it has made me bed ridden twice
in 5 years and ready for the knife to alleviate the
PAIN!

My best method is PREVENTION by not letting the
inflammation get so bad as to "flare".... that is what
happened last two times.... waited to long to start
treatment!

I've been using Canasa for abt year now on their free
program and they do help. I'm unemployed college
student so no health insurance at all. And yes I have
TRIED to get my own but denied due to UC.

Anyway the free program has a year limit and is
up....hence looking for alternative.

Funny.... I went out and bought the Walmart Equate
version of the Prep H suppositories RIGHT before
reading your reply. My thoughts are that even using
something that LUBES would be better than nothing.

I do have some concern with the small amt of HCL in
these suppositories tho. Should I be concerned? I have
NOT tried them yet hence the question.

I have also applied for free Lialda program but yet to
recive them.

Thanks so MUCH for the reply!

m...@privacy.net

Feb 23, 2010, 1:37:02 PM2/23/10
"Bill_M" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

>This makes me very angry since as
>you well know it is not only expensive but they are the only game in town.

Me too

Is there any chance soon there will generic brands??

Bill_M

Feb 23, 2010, 3:15:13 PM2/23/10

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

No. Not enough money in it. Axcan QC not even up to the task.

From your previous reply -

>Funny.... I went out and bought the Walmart Equate
>version of the Prep H suppositories RIGHT before
>reading your reply. My thoughts are that even using
>something that LUBES would be better than nothing.

Prep H is an anti-inflammatory and not a LUBE.

I doubt the relief you are experiencing is due to the Canasa unless you are
100% certain you are retaining for at least 4 hours IMHO. There is a
formulation problem with Canasa FWIW.

m...@privacy.net

Feb 23, 2010, 5:08:00 PM2/23/10
"Bill_M" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

>Prep H is an anti-inflammatory and not a LUBE.

Yes I know but it does have lubricating effects as
well, no?

Also, is the Walmart version OK to use??

m...@privacy.net

Feb 23, 2010, 5:09:37 PM2/23/10

Yes I've noticed that by just looking at them....some
seem NOT mixed well.....coloration, etc.

I cant say I've noticed any problems with them
melting..... tho

Bill_M

Feb 23, 2010, 7:15:34 PM2/23/10
The problem is that the Canasa softens but does not dissolve and migrate
through the rectum reliably due to formulation problems. Gas, fluid or fecal
discharge before distribution renders that particular (and expensive)
insertion useless. At least with Prep H simply insert another after such an
occurrence. Their cheap.

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

m...@privacy.net

Feb 23, 2010, 9:54:19 PM2/23/10
"Bill_M" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote:

>The problem is that the Canasa softens but does not dissolve and migrate
>through the rectum reliably due to formulation problems. Gas, fluid or fecal
>discharge before distribution renders that particular (and expensive)
>insertion useless. At least with Prep H simply insert another after such an
>occurrence. Their cheap.

Understood

Does this make a good argument for an oral pill such as
Lialda?

nkr...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2015, 8:58:03 PM1/28/15
So is it possible to insert a Canasa suppository at bedtime and have many bowel movements through the night and the next day only to find an undisolved Canasa suppository 20 hours later?

librar...@yahoo.com

Jan 10, 2016, 8:56:13 AM1/10/16
Where are you getting them for $12 a piece? I am paying $27 a piece.

zumon...@yahoo.com

Jan 11, 2016, 6:13:41 PM1/11/16

On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 8:56:13 AM UTC-5, librar...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sunday, February 14, 2010 at 2:55:12 PM UTC-5, m...@privacy.net wrote:
> > Canasa suppositories cost $12 a piece!!!
> Where are you getting them for $12 a piece? I am paying $27 a piece.

If you check the dates, the posts were from 2010, nearly 6 years ago.

--
Luke

Hey_WhereIsThePlunger

Jan 22, 2016, 11:19:53 AM1/22/16
I was recently prescribed this as an add on for my UC - having a mild flare - and I was looking for an alternative. In the past I've used 5-ASA in the forms of Asacol and Rowasa. Not sure why the doctor didn't prescribe hydrocortisone suppositories or cream. That always worked in the past. I'm guessing the Canasa sales rep was in the office recently.

Anyway, I saw your recent post about the cost. This is what I found. I hope it helps.

$37 each at Walgreen's without insurance. My Rx plan will allow 14 for $98 so that gets me down to $7 each.
I'm hoping to use this coupon to save myself another $48.
http://www.canasa.com/en/canasa_patient_savings/

You could also try using a GoodRx.com card. We used it for a different med last year and it was a HUGE discount.

May you always find the restroom available & clean.

xreq...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2017, 3:13:56 AM12/1/17
I had not thought of using the Preparation-H as replacement for Canasa suppositories but it’s worth giving it a try.

Thanks for Sharing.