Caitibean and Phaylin

Bonus Sock

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

From another newsgroup...

In article <3564a...@news2.uswest.net>, "Keri Lynn Sweeney"
<slvr...@uswest.net> wrote:

<snip>

> My daughters is Caitibean cause she is little and my son is phay for short.
> His full name is Phaylin.

+ + +

Can you fucking believe that???

- Don

Jason Gill

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

Katey-been or Kay-tib-eeyun? They must have conceived her in the Caribbean,
but really, really wanted to work in Caitlin as much as possible.

Phaylin? As in, "Failin' Phaylin"? Are they on dope?

In article <fastslow-210...@ppp-13.ts-9.lax.idt.net>,

--
Jason Gill
La Jolla, California

BryanL

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

Pass the puke bucket this way please. And don't even tempt me with what ng
this came from.

-BL

Bonus Sock

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

In article <kabl-ya02408000R...@news.dsm.infi.net>,
ka...@dmreg.infi.net (BryanL) wrote:

> Pass the puke bucket this way please. And don't even tempt me with what ng
> this came from.

Okay, but you can always e-mail the bonehead.

- Don

Karellen

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

<<Phaylin? As in, "Failin' Phaylin"?>>

Wait 14 or 15 years, and we'll hear about little Phaylin taking out half his
math class with an AK47...

"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the
wrong answers."--Unknown

Chris Petit

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Karellen wrote in message
<199805220619...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

><<Phaylin? As in, "Failin' Phaylin"?>>
>
>Wait 14 or 15 years, and we'll hear about little Phaylin taking out half
his
>math class with an AK47...

Naaah. He'll use a bazooka. More efficient.

Denise Lott

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Bonus Sock wrote:

> From another newsgroup...
>
> In article <3564a...@news2.uswest.net>, "Keri Lynn Sweeney"
> <slvr...@uswest.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > My daughters is Caitibean cause she is little and my son is phay for short.
> > His full name is Phaylin.
>
> + + +
>
> Can you fucking believe that???
>
> - Don

How on earth do they come up with these idiotic names??? Are we talking
brain-dead people here? YUCK!

Bonus Sock

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

In article <3565A9A6...@mtwest.net>, Denise Lott <ico...@mtwest.net>
wrote:

I'd describe mommmeeee Kari Lynn as brain dead, but you can ask her
yourself at <slvr...@uswest.net>.

- Don

Marley Greiner

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

In article <3565A9A6...@mtwest.net> Denise Lott <ico...@mtwest.net> writes:

>> > My daughters is Caitibean cause she is little and my son is phay for short.
>> > His full name is Phaylin.
>>
>> + + +
>>
>> Can you fucking believe that???
>>
>> - Don

>How on earth do they come up with these idiotic names??? Are we talking
>brain-dead people here? YUCK!

And now the mother of these two

Howcum it's people who actually do have a life who are always accused of not
having one?

Marley

Bonus Sock

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

In article <greiner.3.8...@pop.service.ohio-state.edu>,
grei...@pop.service.ohio-state.edu (Marley Greiner) wrote:

Because the accusers wouldn't know a life if they lived one.

- Don

Marley Greiner

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

>- Don

Thank you, Donaldo. That's what I thought.

Marley

Ilene Bilenky

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Isn't it rude to repost from other newsgroups? I was ticked when some cow
took something I said off the CF group and posted it complete with my name
to some parent group. I can see "summarizing" it but not reposting it
complete with names.
Ilene B

Kent Parks

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Ilene Bilenky (ibil...@cris.com) wrote:
: Isn't it rude to repost from other newsgroups? I was ticked when some cow

: took something I said off the CF group and posted it complete with my name
: to some parent group. I can see "summarizing" it but not reposting it
: complete with names.

Perhaps...but something tells me anyone who'd name a kid "Caitibean"
doesn't have sense enough to know the subtleties of Netiquette or whether
her 'rights' had been violated!

Susan Haines

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Bonus Sock wrote:

> From another newsgroup...
>
> In article <3564a...@news2.uswest.net>, "Keri Lynn Sweeney"
> <slvr...@uswest.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > My daughters is Caitibean cause she is little and my son is phay for short.
> > His full name is Phaylin.
>
> + + +
>
> Can you fucking believe that???
>
> - Don

Aren't all kids little when they're named? With this logic, everyone
would be running around with names like Tiny, Petite, and Miniature.
Susan

monica

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

>> > My daughters is Caitibean cause she is little and my son is phay for short.
>> > His full name is Phaylin.
>Aren't all kids little when they're named? With this logic, everyone
>would be running around with names like Tiny, Petite, and Miniature.
>Susan
LOL Susan! I think (and I'm only inferring from the text given) that the
woman was speaking of the kids' NICKnames or pet names. IE: Caiti is
nicknamed Caitibean because she is small for her age, like a *bean*, I
guess. Phay is obviously a nickname that is merely an abbreviated version
of Phaylin. That is what I took from the original post, not that these
were given names, but nicknames.
Monica in Atlanta, whose nickname yesterday was Crabby Bitch

Susan Haines

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

You're right, the nickname idea makes more sense. Rereading her post,
however, I'm now curious just how many daughters there is, and if her
son's nickname really starts with a lower case letter! My nickname for
the poster is Illiterate.
Susan

Chris Petit

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

monica wrote in message <3566223d....@news.mindspring.com>...
>>Is Phaylin a name?
>
>As we have seen, ANYTHING is a name, if you begin it with a capital letter!
>Monica in Atlanta, naming her first child Refrigerator...or maybe Sponge.

Sponge is MUCH more appropiate, IMO.

Purple People-Eater (munch!)

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

On Fri, 22 May 1998, it was written:

> >Aren't all kids little when they're named? With this logic, everyone
> >would be running around with names like Tiny, Petite, and Miniature.
> >Susan
> LOL Susan! I think (and I'm only inferring from the text given) that the
> woman was speaking of the kids' NICKnames or pet names. IE: Caiti is
> nicknamed Caitibean because she is small for her age, like a *bean*, I
> guess.

I certainly hope so, though I still think Caiti is a daft way to spell
Katie. Imagine, in twenty years' time when asked her name for a
form-filler, and she says 'Caiti', then has to explain that her overly
imaginative parents came up with c-a-i-t-i.

Phay is obviously a nickname that is merely an abbreviated version
> of Phaylin. That is what I took from the original post, not that these
> were given names, but nicknames.
> Monica in Atlanta, whose nickname yesterday was Crabby Bitch

Is Phaylin a name?

'Ki de vice se veult defendre
Estudier deit e entendre
E grevose ovre comencier'
(Marie de France, 12th-century Anglo-Norman poet)
Helen Smith, St Hilda's College, Oxford OX4 1DY
<shil...@sable.ox.ac.uk> (munch, miaow, zzub zzub)

monica

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

monica

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

>>As we have seen, ANYTHING is a name, if you begin it with a capital letter!
>>Monica in Atlanta, naming her first child Refrigerator...or maybe Sponge.
>
> Sponge is MUCH more appropiate, IMO.

Yes, it definitely is! I didn't think of it at the time, but perhaps it
was a Freudian slip, of sorts.
Monica in Atlanta

Marley Greiner

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

In article <35660D...@aaps.k12.mi.us> Susan Haines <hai...@aaps.k12.mi.us> writes:

>> >Aren't all kids little when they're named? With this logic, everyone
>> >would be running around with names like Tiny, Petite, and Miniature.
>> >Susan
>> LOL Susan! I think (and I'm only inferring from the text given) that the
>> woman was speaking of the kids' NICKnames or pet names. IE: Caiti is
>> nicknamed Caitibean because she is small for her age, like a *bean*, I

>> guess. Phay is obviously a nickname that is merely an abbreviated version

>> of Phaylin. That is what I took from the original post, not that these
>> were given names, but nicknames.
>> Monica in Atlanta, whose nickname yesterday was Crabby Bitch

>You're right, the nickname idea makes more sense. Rereading her post,

>however, I'm now curious just how many daughters there is, and if her
>son's nickname really starts with a lower case letter! My nickname for
>the poster is Illiterate.
>Susan

I thought that Caitibean was probably a nickname, but the writer clearly
stated that her son's name was Phaylin, which means Wolf in some other
language. I really like distinctive names myself, but having been stuck with
another name before I took Marley (from my birth name of Marlene Sue) I'm
rather sensitive to how names that are perceived as weird (whether they
actually are or not) can harm a kid.

Marley

Bonus Sock

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

In article <6k4n0a$9en$1...@gte1.gte.net>, j...@gte.net wrote:

> On 22 May 1998 19:25:12 GMT, pa...@ils.unc.edu (Kent Parks) wrote:
>
> >Ilene Bilenky (ibil...@cris.com) wrote:
> >: Isn't it rude to repost from other newsgroups? I was ticked when some cow
> >: took something I said off the CF group and posted it complete with my name
> >: to some parent group. I can see "summarizing" it but not reposting it
> >: complete with names.
> >
> >Perhaps...but something tells me anyone who'd name a kid "Caitibean"
> >doesn't have sense enough to know the subtleties of Netiquette or whether
> >her 'rights' had been violated!
>

> So my all means trample them, 'eh?

Oh, c'mon...this is "trampling" rights.

This woman was quite proud of the names she came up with...so I was doing
her a favor by publicizing them. And, of course, I just *had* to give her
credit.

- Don

Bonus Sock

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

In article <qfdogwq...@minerva.psc.edu>, Esther Filderman
<e...@minerva.psc.edu> wrote:

> Denise Lott <ico...@mtwest.net> writes:
> > How on earth do they come up with these idiotic names??? Are we talking
> > brain-dead people here? YUCK!
>

> Couple hundred years ago when I was a college freshman [for the first
> time but I won't go there right now :-)] one of my roommies had a
> friend who's name was, I swear I am not making this up, Fonda Peters.
>
> She was a really nice girl but I always felt she could kill her
> parents and get off with Justifiable Homicide.

Was JH cute?

- Don

Keri Lynn Sweeney

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

Good Evening!
Now, let's see! Hmmm. If you thought to read my original post you would have
seen we were discussing nicknames for children. My daughters name is
Caitlynn. Caitlin is in a baby name book. Many of them for that fact. Maybe
take some time at a book store and LOOK IT UP! I altered the lin part to add
my middle name,Which in fact is Lynn. My son's name is Truely Phaylin. It
also was taken from a Baby name book. It's original spelling was Phalen.
Look it up. And it does mean "Of Wolf"
Somewhere Donald has taken the time to try an insult me just as you all have
including marley, something called a purple people eater,Susan and the rest
of ya.
You know who you are.
But do you think I really care what you call me or my kids? No not really. I
have dealt with people like you on a regular basis for the past six years
and it doesnt bother me one bit.
You people are making these kinds of comments yet you really do not know of
me nor my children. So why? What's the hatred about? Donald sure has a
problem with me yet I have not done one thing to him. Please explain if you
are so enlightened.
What have I done to deserve this? Not one thing. Making a statement or a
comment about one thing or another doesn't mean I get trashed.

But to each his own. I for one do not care. Its just lines on a computer
screen.

Keri Lynn Sweeney

Bonus Sock

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

In article <3567a...@news2.uswest.net>, "Keri Lynn Sweeney"
<slvr...@uswest.net> wrote:

> Good Evening!
> Now, let's see! Hmmm. If you thought to read my original post you would have
> seen we were discussing nicknames for children. My daughters name is
> Caitlynn. Caitlin is in a baby name book. Many of them for that fact. Maybe
> take some time at a book store and LOOK IT UP! I altered the lin part to add
> my middle name,Which in fact is Lynn. My son's name is Truely Phaylin. It
> also was taken from a Baby name book. It's original spelling was Phalen.
> Look it up. And it does mean "Of Wolf"
> Somewhere Donald has taken the time to try an insult me just as you all have
> including marley, something called a purple people eater,Susan and the rest
> of ya.
> You know who you are.
> But do you think I really care what you call me or my kids? No not really. I
> have dealt with people like you on a regular basis for the past six years
> and it doesnt bother me one bit.
> You people are making these kinds of comments yet you really do not know of
> me nor my children. So why? What's the hatred about? Donald sure has a
> problem with me yet I have not done one thing to him. Please explain if you
> are so enlightened.
> What have I done to deserve this? Not one thing. Making a statement or a
> comment about one thing or another doesn't mean I get trashed.
>
> But to each his own. I for one do not care. Its just lines on a computer
> screen.

Too bad this isn't in person, Keri, you could give each of us a five-inch
gash in our faces.

Now, Keri, is your son's name Truely Phaylin or Phaylin?

- Don

HCF

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

Keri Lynn Sweeney wrote:

> But do you think I really care what you call me or my kids? No not really. I
> have dealt with people like you on a regular basis for the past six years
> and it doesnt bother me one bit.

Obviously you care otherwise you wouldn't be writing this group to explain why
you named your kids the way you did.

I haven't been involved at all in this naming discussion, but I jump in here
because it makes me laugh to see people post long notes about how they don't
care what people say about them. If that were true, you wouldn't feel the need
to post.

> But to each his own. I for one do not care. Its just lines on a computer
> screen.

Keep trying to convince yourself of that. Seems like that is what you are
trying to do.

monica

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

>Good Evening!
>Now, let's see! Hmmm. If you thought to read my original post you would have
>seen we were discussing nicknames for children.
Now, let's see! Since you chose to re-post only from my posts, I think I
should point out to you that *I* am the one who made clear to the group
that you were probably discussing nicknames, judging from your original
post. Here is my quote, just to make things clear:
<begin re-post>

I think (and I'm only inferring from the text given) that the
woman was speaking of the kids' NICKnames or pet names. IE: Caiti is
nicknamed Caitibean because she is small for her age, like a *bean*, I
guess. Phay is obviously a nickname that is merely an abbreviated version
of Phaylin. That is what I took from the original post, not that these
were given names, but nicknames.
Monica in Atlanta
<end>
Tell me please where there is insult in that post, Keri Lynn.

>Caitlin is in a baby name book. Many of them for that fact. Maybe
>take some time at a book store and LOOK IT UP!

We are not so dull on this group that we don't recognize Caitlin as a name.

>But do you think I really care what you call me or my kids? No not really. I
>have dealt with people like you on a regular basis for the past six years
>and it doesnt bother me one bit.

Apparently, it does, or you wouldn't be here.
You are welcome to name your kids whatever you wish. And we are free to
giggle about it. No harm done there, eh? My cat's name is Clara. I got
that from a book too. Just kidding. You may not like that name, and so
what? You can chat all you want about it over on misc.kids. and I don't
give a rat's behind. It's a discussion group -- we discuss.
Monica in Atlanta

E l i s e

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

On Sat, 23 May 1998 21:21:54 -0700, "Keri Lynn Sweeney"
<slvr...@uswest.net> wrote:

>Good Evening!

>Somewhere Donald has taken the time to try an insult me

Could that be our Don? Did I miss a vote due to my killfile contents?
Has he been appointed CF Foreign Minister to the Childed World? If
so, may I suggest that parliament be dissolved --- I don't think Don's
our man for PR.

>You people are making these kinds of comments yet you really do not know of
>me nor my children. So why? What's the hatred about? Donald sure has a
>problem with me yet I have not done one thing to him. Please explain if you
>are so enlightened.

Do we really need to be re-posting items from other groups and then
going on email missions to insult parents (be they breeders or not)?
I for one don't care if this woman names her children Dogstar and
Tinkie, as long as she doesn't allow them to scream in the booth next
to mine in a restaurant.

Ilene has said to me and also to others on this NG that one of her
biggest goals re: CF is to make "more space" in the world for the CF
mindset. I agree with this goal, and think increased awareness is the
best thing we can all work towards. This won't do it, folks...you
*will* catch more flies with honey than vinegar (or with piss, for
that matter).

Elise

>What have I done to deserve this? Not one thing. Making a statement or a
>comment about one thing or another doesn't mean I get trashed.
>

>But to each his own. I for one do not care. Its just lines on a computer
>screen.

Bonus Sock

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

In article <3567bb43...@news.tiac.net>, ely...@nospamthanks.tiac.net

(E l i s e ) wrote:

> On Sat, 23 May 1998 21:21:54 -0700, "Keri Lynn Sweeney"
> <slvr...@uswest.net> wrote:
>
> >Good Evening!
>
> >Somewhere Donald has taken the time to try an insult me
>
> Could that be our Don? Did I miss a vote due to my killfile contents?
> Has he been appointed CF Foreign Minister to the Childed World? If
> so, may I suggest that parliament be dissolved --- I don't think Don's
> our man for PR.

Elise, you are more tiresome than most breeders.

If you don't know what the fuck is going on because you prefer to read the
newsgroup ostrich-style...don't post about it.

Case fucking closed.

- Don

Chris Petit

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

Keri Lynn Sweeney wrote in message <3567a...@news2.uswest.net>...

>You people are making these kinds of comments yet you really do not know of
>me nor my children. So why? What's the hatred about? Donald sure has a
>problem with me yet I have not done one thing to him. Please explain if you
>are so enlightened.

>What have I done to deserve this? Not one thing. Making a statement or a
>comment about one thing or another doesn't mean I get trashed.

The reason you're so hated in this newsgroup is because you have failed
to consider how horrendously your son and daughter will be picked on BECAUSE
OF THEIR STUPID NAMES! Have you forgotten what monsters kids are to each
other?

Most everyone gets picked on somewhat, but your giving your kids such
stupid names GUARANTEES them severe harassment from other kids.

And don't think your kids will tell YOU if they're being harassed at
school. That would make them "tattle tales". They'll just hold it in until
something snaps.

Mark Ellsworth

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

Come on folks! The womans name is KARI!! When I was in school the
name was spelled Carie, just like the movie. I wish the BNPs would go
annoy someone else.

Bonus Sock

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

In article <35682f93.8021598@news>, cat...@radiks.net (Mark Ellsworth) wrote:

> Come on folks! The womans name is KARI!! When I was in school the
> name was spelled Carie, just like the movie. I wish the BNPs would go
> annoy someone else.

Slow down a little, Mark.

Her name is "Keri".

In the old days, it was spelled "Carrie".

- Don

Purple People-Eater (munch!)

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

> > Come on folks! The womans name is KARI!! When I was in school the
> > name was spelled Carie, just like the movie. I wish the BNPs would go
> > annoy someone else.
>
> Slow down a little, Mark.
>
> Her name is "Keri".
>
> In the old days, it was spelled "Carrie".

Or Kerry.

Karellen

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

<<Or Kerry.>>

Per my parents, *I* was almost Kerry Lynn. (How odd that I would choose a
screen name so close...) My poor mom would have been Melvin Eugene, had she
been a boy.

"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the
wrong answers."--Unknown

Susan Haines

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

Keri Lynn Sweeney wrote:
re. kids' names being made fun of
.
.
.and

My son's name is Truely Phaylin.

It's tempting to make a remark a la Chitty Chitty Bang Bang here, but
instead I will admit that it probably isn't the nicest of behaviors to
take something that wasn't even posted here and make fun of it.
Susan

Jason Gill

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

"Truely Phaylin"?! Are you TRYING to mindfuck the kid?

Why not name him "Phukeeng Luesir Sweeney" ?

Or "Stupid Shithead Sweeney", which would be easier to spell, and that way he
could be named after you AND his father at the same time.

In article <3567a...@news2.uswest.net>, "Keri Lynn Sweeney"

Susan & Tom

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

Chris Petit wrote:
...... giving your kids such> stupid names GUARANTEES them severe
harassment from other kids.And don't think your kids will tell YOU if

they're being harassed at> school. That would make them "tattle
tales". They'll just hold it in until> something snaps.....

and they bring your ak-47 (or whatever) to school and mow down 14 of
their friends and teachers, and the whole community is horrified
because "Caitibean was always such a quiet girl". You gotta see that
coming...

Susan in CT

Jim

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

Esther Filderman wrote:

> Denise Lott <ico...@mtwest.net> writes:
> > How on earth do they come up with these idiotic names??? Are we talking
> > brain-dead people here? YUCK!
>
> Couple hundred years ago when I was a college freshman [for the first
> time but I won't go there right now :-)] one of my roommies had a
> friend who's name was, I swear I am not making this up, Fonda Peters.

Hi Esther,
That name was in one of Lewis Grizzard's books. Along with a stripper
named Fonda Love.

Jim

> She was a really nice girl but I always felt she could kill her
> parents and get off with Justifiable Homicide.

> e...@psc.edu Esther Filderman moo...@cmu.edu
> System Mangler & News Dominatrix
> Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center

Jim

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

Purple People-Eater (munch!) wrote:

> On Fri, 22 May 1998, it was written:

> > >Aren't all kids little when they're named? With this logic, everyone
> > >would be running around with names like Tiny, Petite, and Miniature.
> > >Susan
> > LOL Susan! I think (and I'm only inferring from the text given) that the

> > woman was speaking of the kids' NICKnames or pet names. IE: Caiti is
> > nicknamed Caitibean because she is small for her age, like a *bean*, I
> > guess.
>
> I certainly hope so, though I still think Caiti is a daft way to spell
> Katie. Imagine, in twenty years' time when asked her name for a
> form-filler, and she says 'Caiti', then has to explain that her overly
> imaginative parents came up with c-a-i-t-i.

No, in twenty years her name will seem quaint and old fashioned.

> Phay is obviously a nickname that is merely an abbreviated version
> > of Phaylin. That is what I took from the original post, not that these
> > were given names, but nicknames.

> > Monica in Atlanta, whose nickname yesterday was Crabby Bitch
> >

> Is Phaylin a name?

I guess it is now :-)
Jim

pri...@usit.net

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

I just remembered a young woman I used to work with whose name was
"Haidee." She was half oriental and was strikingly beautiful, but the
name simply didn't suit her. It would be bad enough to go through life
with a name that was so unsuitable - but to have to say every time "My
name is 'Heidi' - no, that's spelled H-A-I-D-E-E."

Peggy M.

Jennifer Hill

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

PC alert! PC alert!

Oriental = object; It's an Oriental rug.
Asian = culture; She's a very attractive Asian woman.

Jennifer - who can make her friend's hair stand on end by calling her
Oriental instead of Asian.

Rabbit

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

Jennifer Hill wrote:

Someone pointed that out to me a while ago; I didn't realize it was a slur,
especially since the Chinese salesmen at work sometimes use the term "Oriental"
themselves.

Rabbit

Ilene Bilenky

May 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/30/98

I have *very recently* had to inform grown people that there is no such
verb "to Jew" as in "He Jewed the price down". I find this disgraceful.
Ilene B

Morgans42

May 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/31/98

In article <MPG.fd94426c...@news.earthlink.net>,
kata...@earthlink.net (Jeri Jo Thomas) writes:

>(Back in the bad old un-
>PC days my brother told a school tale of a Chinese kid dropping
>his books around an Italian and yelling "Wop!" and the Italian
>kid taking out a handful of change, dropping it and yelling
>"Chink!" Of course, they were friends.Can you imagine anyone
>doing that now?

Well, yes, I can. My friends and I tease each other about our respective
ethnicities, sexual proclivities, size, personal habits, and lots of other
things that would be totally offensive for a stranger or barely-an-acquaintance
to so much as mention. But then, most of my friends aren't as PC and
hypersensitive-about-everything as Some People in this godsforsaken society are
- thank goodness.

---Mari

Morgans42

May 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/31/98

In article <ibilenky-270...@ts001d16.box-ma.concentric.net>,
ibil...@cris.com (Ilene Bilenky) writes:

>I have *very recently* had to inform grown people that there is no such
>verb "to Jew" as in "He Jewed the price down". I find this disgraceful.

And how old were said grown people? I find that a lot of people with PC
leanings don't give _older_ folks a break as simply being children of their
era. My late stepfather (who was born in 1923 in a small, rural, all-white
northern US town) commonly used what would be now called racial slurs and
political incorrectness, but that was simply what he grew up with and knew.
During my rampantly-PC-idealistic days early in college I got on his case quite
a bit for such things until I figured out that it wasn't going to change a damn
thing. It was his worldview, and even if I had been able to get him to use
different words (which he thought was stupid, and we had many arguments about
that) it wouldn't have changed any of the underlying beliefs ingrained by the
culture he grew up in. *shrug*

---Mari

Kent Parks

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

:
: >I have *very recently* had to inform grown people that there is no such
: >verb "to Jew" as in "He Jewed the price down". I find this disgraceful.
:
: And how old were said grown people? I find that a lot of people with PC
: leanings don't give _older_ folks a break as simply being children of their
: era.

Gotta agree--my father, born in 1925 in the rural South but amazingly
open-minded, for someone who's never anything but a majority his whole
life, uses this term and probably doesn't even realize how it could be
termed offensive.

Kent

Ilene Bilenky

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Unfortunately, one was a very religious woman of 29 (Boston city resident)
and the other one I can think of is my neighbor who is 35. (And he keeps
telling his uncle "You want a good lawyer, get a Jew from Boston.")
The religious woman was horrified when I called her on it (nicely). She
said she literally never thought about it, and being black, felt she
should have been more aware.
Ilene B

Jennifer Hill

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

I have a few friends like that too. People's jaws drop when I walk up
to my friend and say, "Hey, Blackie!" She just about fall on her but
laughing when I do it. She affectionately calls me honky.

Jennifer - proud to be a honky, cracker.

Margaret

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Ilene Bilenky wrote:

> Unfortunately, one was a very religious woman of 29 (Boston city resident)
> and the other one I can think of is my neighbor who is 35. (And he keeps
> telling his uncle "You want a good lawyer, get a Jew from Boston.")
> The religious woman was horrified when I called her on it (nicely). She
> said she literally never thought about it, and being black, felt she
> should have been more aware.

Ahem. My husband is jewish, and he also recommends a jewish lawyer :-) In fact, he
feels that as long as his doctor, lawyer, and accountant are jewish, everything is
under control....So I'm not sure that most jewish people find the idea of a Jew
from Boston being the best lawyer offensive.

He may not be the most politically correct person in the world, but hey, I love him
anyway :-)

Margaret

Fab4Fan99

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Mari wrote:

>In article <MPG.fd94426c...@news.earthlink.net>,
>kata...@earthlink.net (Jeri Jo Thomas) writes:
>
>>(Back in the bad old un-
>>PC days my brother told a school tale of a Chinese kid dropping
>>his books around an Italian and yelling "Wop!" and the Italian
>>kid taking out a handful of change, dropping it and yelling
>>"Chink!" Of course, they were friends.Can you imagine anyone
>>doing that now?
>
>Well, yes, I can. My friends and I tease each other about our respective
>ethnicities, sexual proclivities, size, personal habits, and lots of other
>things that would be totally offensive for a stranger or
>barely-an-acquaintance
>to so much as mention. But then, most of my friends aren't as PC and
>hypersensitive-about-everything as Some People in this godsforsaken society
>are
>- thank goodness.

Me too. When people inquire about my ethnic background, I've been known to
reply, "Part Mick, Part Wop, and when you come up with a good slur for
Lithuanian, let me know...." <G>

Frank

Beautiful Downtown Beverly, MA KA1WZH GO RED SOX!!!
"Hard work is for people who are short on talent"--George Carlin
"I prefer to have skaters who do not struggle with elements"--Tamara Moskvina
"If I could, I would, let it go"--Bono

Jim

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Jennifer Hill wrote:

> pri...@usit.net wrote:
> >
> > I just remembered a young woman I used to work with whose name was
> > "Haidee." She was half oriental and was strikingly beautiful, but the
> > name simply didn't suit her. It would be bad enough to go through life
> > with a name that was so unsuitable - but to have to say every time "My
> > name is 'Heidi' - no, that's spelled H-A-I-D-E-E."
> >
> > Peggy M.
>
> PC alert! PC alert!
>
> Oriental = object; It's an Oriental rug.
> Asian = culture; She's a very attractive Asian woman.
>
> Jennifer - who can make her friend's hair stand on end by calling her
> Oriental instead of Asian.

If you were truly PC, you wouldn't use the words she, attractive or
woman :-)
Sorry, just calling a spade a ummmmm, long handled dirt moving device.

Jim

Morgans42

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

In article <199806011547...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, fab4...@aol.com
(Fab4Fan99) writes:

>Me too. When people inquire about my ethnic background, I've been known to
>reply, "Part Mick, Part Wop, and when you come up with a good slur for
>Lithuanian, let me know...." <G>

Heh. Let me know too - our landlord's Lithuanian, and he rags (friendly-like)
on us about being the token WASPs on the block.... *chuckle*

---Mari, cheap-assed sheep-chasing bagpipe-molesting Scot

Jason Gill

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

When I was about 11, my best friend was a Jewish kid. Our parents ended up
doing something together, I can remember what, dinner, play, I dunno. But my
mother (and, after hearing the story, I) was mortified when my semi-redneck
father is relating some anecdote and mentioned how he "Jewed the guy down to
half price." He was clueless that he had offended everyone in the car with
one sentence.

--
Jason Gill
La Jolla, California
"Non corber indum illegitimie"

monica

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

>When I was about 11, my best friend was a Jewish kid. Our parents ended up
>doing something together, I can remember what, dinner, play, I dunno. But my
>mother (and, after hearing the story, I) was mortified when my semi-redneck
>father is relating some anecdote and mentioned how he "Jewed the guy down to
>half price." He was clueless that he had offended everyone in the car with
>one sentence.
My SO's parents are on the *older* side, and they use the word "colored" to
refer to African Americans. It absolutely grates me and embarrasses
me...thankfully they haven't done it in public yet! I am offended by it,
and even though I realize that they are older and that is how they were
raised, and I kno they don't mean anything racist by it, it still bothers
me.
Monica in Atlanta

pri...@usit.net

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

On 1 Jun 1998 03:39:09 GMT, pa...@ils.unc.edu (Kent Parks) wrote:

>Morgans42 (morg...@aol.com) wrote:
>: In article <ibilenky-270...@ts001d16.box-ma.concentric.net>,
>: ibil...@cris.com (Ilene Bilenky) writes:
>:
>: >I have *very recently* had to inform grown people that there is no such

>: >verb "to Jew" as in "He Jewed the price down". I find this disgraceful.

>:

>: And how old were said grown people? I find that a lot of people with PC
>: leanings don't give _older_ folks a break as simply being children of their
>: era.
>

>Gotta agree--my father, born in 1925 in the rural South but amazingly
>open-minded, for someone who's never anything but a majority his whole
>life, uses this term and probably doesn't even realize how it could be
>termed offensive.
>
>Kent

I will catch myself (born in 1939 in the rural South) using the term -
then I'll think, "ooops." It is a difficult habit to break. My
parents and grandparents all used it and nobody meant anything
offensive by it, although of course I realize that it certainly could
be offensive. I've tried to get out of the habit and it really isn't
an expression I have occasion to use very often. I can't speak for
others, but I certainly don't think, "I think I'll say 'Jew him down'
and offend a whole bunch of people." I doubt many do.

Peggy M.

Marley Greiner

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

My mother who would never have used a racial slur to save her life, used to
refer to people from Eastern Europe as "hunkies." Aaaghhh!!!! But that was
her upbringing from the 1920s.

Marley

Lara W.

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Jennifer Hill wrote:

> I have a few friends like that too. People's jaws drop when I walk up
> to my friend and say, "Hey, Blackie!" She just about fall on her but
> laughing when I do it. She affectionately calls me honky.
>
> Jennifer - proud to be a honky, cracker.

I had a male friend in college who used to refer to me as... well, a four-letter
slang word beginning with "c" that is a mostly derogatory term for female. He would
say it, I would take exception to it, and it became such a regular part of our
routine. He would holler it at me across campus. :)

LW, who thinks it stinks that college is the only time in your life when you can just
walk up to a guy friend and say, "Gimme a hug!"

--
"The real truth is that I probably don't want to be too happy or content, because
then what? I actually like the quest, the search, that's the fun, the the more lost

Bonus Sock

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

In article <357318e2....@news.mindspring.com>, monica wrote:

> >When I was about 11, my best friend was a Jewish kid. Our parents ended up
> >doing something together, I can remember what, dinner, play, I dunno.
But my
> >mother (and, after hearing the story, I) was mortified when my semi-redneck
> >father is relating some anecdote and mentioned how he "Jewed the guy down to
> >half price." He was clueless that he had offended everyone in the car with
> >one sentence.
> My SO's parents are on the *older* side, and they use the word "colored" to
> refer to African Americans. It absolutely grates me and embarrasses
> me...thankfully they haven't done it in public yet! I am offended by it,
> and even though I realize that they are older and that is how they were
> raised, and I kno they don't mean anything racist by it, it still bothers
> me.

Perhaps they're supports of the National Assoication for the Advancement
of COLORED PEOPLE. Hey, be happy they aren't in the Negro College Fund or
NWA.

- Don

Bonus Sock

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

In article <199806020648...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
kare...@aol.com (Karellen) wrote:

> Angelmoon<<If there has to be a stereotype, I guess being good at what you do
> is the one I'd want. :)>>
>
> True. Now that they've ended affirmative action at the University of
> California, they call Asians "overrepresented minorities."
>
> Uhh... how can there be such a thing as an overrepresented minority? hmm....

It means you're a member of a minority that doesn't need the "services" of
the Poverty Pimps.

- Don

Karellen

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

<<And he keeps telling his uncle "You want a good lawyer, get a Jew from
Boston.">>

I know I told this story before, but I still think it's funny. ;)

Two attorneys from my office (a Jewish woman and a guy whose ethnicity/religion
I have no idea) overheard two older men say something like that in a
restaurant. She thought it was funny, so a few months later on her birthday,
the other attorney gave her a set of business cards reading "[Jane Doe], Jew
Lawyer."

I know it's a slur, but still, it's meant as a compliment... Ya want someone
who will get the job done! ;)

Linda Dachtyl

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

monica wrote:

> >When I was about 11, my best friend was a Jewish kid. Our parents ended up
> >doing something together, I can remember what, dinner, play, I dunno. But my
> >mother (and, after hearing the story, I) was mortified when my semi-redneck
> >father is relating some anecdote and mentioned how he "Jewed the guy down to
> >half price." He was clueless that he had offended everyone in the car with
> >one sentence.
> My SO's parents are on the *older* side, and they use the word "colored" to
> refer to African Americans. It absolutely grates me and embarrasses
> me...thankfully they haven't done it in public yet! I am offended by it,
> and even though I realize that they are older and that is how they were
> raised, and I kno they don't mean anything racist by it, it still bothers
> me.
> Monica in Atlanta

I wonder. My father in law does this too. Thinks all the "coloreds" live
on the east side. This is a fine line, between racial ignorance because
of being naive and separated, and just plain racism in my eyes. Makes me
cringe alot, but it sure beats the "n" word. I still can't imagine
anyone who uses the word "colored" being comfortable around African
Americans in a social setting.

On the other hand, I don't know if "black" is appropriate anymore. Is it
ok? "Colored" and "Negro" went out in the 60's. I question their use by
anyone who gets a newspaper.

Linda

Morgans42

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <MPG.fdd10397...@news.earthlink.net>,

kata...@earthlink.net (Jeri Jo Thomas) writes:

>I've said this before but I truly believe there are some whites,
>maybe just the older ones, who would cut out their tongues rather
>than use the word "black" (Or Negro for that matter) to refer to
>African-Americans. "Colored", for me, isn't particularly
>offensive.

On the other hand, Jeri, maybe this is not something you have encountered but
as a member of that despised oppressive can't-do-a-damn-thing-right group known
as white folks, I'd sure like it if melanin-abundant folks could figure out
just what the hell they wanted to be called when it's necessary to refer to
their racial group. I've been chewed out for using "black," "Negro,"
"Afro/African-American" (one Caribbean-born person got all over me for that
one, how very annoying) and even "people of color" (too bloody PC and vague -
hey, _I_ am a person of color by truthful definition, I'm sort of a
pinky-beige). How about picking one and staying with it?

---Mari

Karellen

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

jeanie

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

morg...@aol.com (Morgans42) shared with the class:

>How about picking one and staying with it?
>
>---Mari

How about "Negroid?" It's generic enough. Or technical enough.

My grandmother was born in 1894 and used the term "darkies" all of her
life. It's what she grew up with. She certainly meant no disrespect,
and I would have had to inflict bodily harm on anyone who tried to
give her a hard time over it.

jeanie
~
Vice President in Charge of Acquisitions
RamJack Corporation

Ilene Bilenky

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

A Mexican patient at my hospital came up to me the other night and was
looking for my co-worker, who's from Nigeria. He asked me, "How do you
call the guy who was sitting here?" And I said "Dan" and he said, "No, I
mean, he has black skin, what do I call him, is it OK?" I was quite
touched that he wanted to be sure and be polite. It was surprising to
realize that, to his Mexican ears, an "African" accented English may not
be indentifiable. So I said, you can call him "the black guy" and it won't
be rude.
One of my co-workers is coffee-colored, his parents are British "subjects"
from Jamaica and Monserrat, and it seems plain inaccurate to call him
"African-American". He personally doesn't care what he gets called in that
sense (and of course psychotic patients go straight to the N word..)
Another friend who is the son of Polish Jews married a "black" American,
who has background of French, African and Native American. Their son
refers to himself as an "African-American". By percentage, he's more a
"Polish-Jewish American!" My friend called him on it, not wanting the kid
to be a knee-jerk anything.
I appreciate the effort to refer to people in an even-handed way, and
"black" is the only designation that singles out color rather than distant
origin. But "African-American" seems incorrect.
Ilene B "could be Ukranian-American but am willing to let it go,
especially since it's meaningless"

Jennifer Hill

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Jeri Jo Thomas wrote:

> In article <3572B9...@musicdirect.com>, jh...@musicdirect.com
> says...
> --> I have a few friends like that too. People's jaws drop when I walk up
> --> to my friend and say, "Hey, Blackie!" She just about fall on her but
> --> laughing when I do it. She affectionately calls me honky.
> -->
> Hmmm, your being a cracker or not, I really don't think I could
> warm to being called "Blackie". It was okay for Clark Gable's
> character in "San Francisco", but doesn't seem to be conducive to
> a tight friendship.
> --
> <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
> Jeri Jo--
> kata...@earthlink.net
> MicroPlanet's "Gravity" V2.0
> <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

Actually, I could call her that because the friendship was so tight and
we knew it was all in fun. According to her, she didn't care what
anyone called her, as long as it was with respect and not jest (though I
think she would take exception to the n-word). I respected her for
that. Gave me the impression that she had a strong grasp on her
identity and didn't care what anyone else said or thought because she
knew who she was and was going to stick to it, like it or not.

Jennifer

Jennifer Hill

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98
> pinky-beige). How about picking one and staying with it?
>
> ---Mari

I've always found it quite funny that the only people who ever told me,
"no, you can't call them _____, you must call them _____" were white. I
was involved in a big debate in a college composition class and all the
white people where discussing what you could and couldn't call everyone
and the only Hispanic guy said something to the effect of, "If everyone
treated everyone else with respect, it wouldn't matter what we called
one another." Makes sense to me.

Jennifer

Larisa Migachyov

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Karellen wrote thus:

Angelmoon<<If there has to be a stereotype, I guess being good at what you do
is the one I'd want. :)>>

True. Now that they've ended affirmative action at the University of
California, they call Asians "overrepresented minorities."

In Russia, the same thing happened to the Jews. The math group for gifted
kids that I attended as a child was almost closed down because of "ethnic
homogeneity" - meaning that 90% of the kids were Jewish.

Larisa Migachyov * Quant'e bella giovinezza
Biomedical Engineering * Che si fugge tuttavia!
Stanford University * Chi vuol esser lieto, sia;
http://www.stanford.edu/~lvm * Di doman non c'e certezza.

Morgans42

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <ibilenky-270...@ts004d18.box-ma.concentric.net>,
ibil...@cris.com (Ilene Bilenky) writes:

>I appreciate the effort to refer to people in an even-handed way, and
>"black" is the only designation that singles out color rather than distant
>origin.

Um, what about "white?" That's what all those bloody forms I fill out say,
usually the box says "white/nonHispanic." Once in a _great_ while it'll say
Caucasian, but to quote George Carlin that sounds more like a shoe style ("I'll
take a pair of Caucasians in a 9D").

BTW, I was quite surprised recently to hear a British friend of mine refer to
an (Asian) Indian person as "black." Apparently in some areas of the UK they're
quite stubborn about if you're not white, you're black - no ifs, ands, or buts.

---Mari

Morgans42

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <3573FE...@musicdirect.com>, Jennifer Hill
<jh...@musicdirect.com> writes:

>I've always found it quite funny that the only people who ever told me,
>"no, you can't call them _____, you must call them _____" were white.

I must be meeting more heavily politicized nonwhites, then, because I've
resorted to some pretty pitiful circuitous description in order to keep from
getting bitched at. I'm told "Negro" is outdated and unacceptable (did anyone
else notice that the "United Negro College Fund" is now just "The College
Fund?"), that African/Afro-American makes often-incorrect assumptions about
origin (ok, that one I can buy), and that "black" is derogatory. And every
single time since I've left college, it was a nonwhite person getting in my
face about it (but somehow it's still OK for them to say "that white chick over
there" or to refer to every Asian person as Chinese *sigh*).

---Mari, who sometimes thinks Spike Lee and his reactionary ilk are a bad
influence

Purple People-Eater (munch!)

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

> BTW, I was quite surprised recently to hear a British friend of mine refer to
> an (Asian) Indian person as "black." Apparently in some areas of the UK they're
> quite stubborn about if you're not white, you're black - no ifs, ands, or buts.
>

> ---Mari

True. In fashion magazines, for example, 'black skin' - and skin is
very very rarely 'black', though a friend of mine who is half Nigerian and
half Ugandan is very dark - refers to anything from African to half-caste
Asian.

'Ki de vice se veult defendre
Estudier deit e entendre
E grevose ovre comencier'
(Marie de France, 12th-century Anglo-Norman poet)
Helen Smith, St Hilda's College, Oxford OX4 1DY
<shil...@sable.ox.ac.uk> (munch, miaow, zzub zzub)

Morgans42

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <MPG.fddeb40b...@news.earthlink.net>,

kata...@earthlink.net (Jeri Jo Thomas) writes:

>OTOH, why would you refer to a Caribbean-born person as an
>"African-American"? Annoying or not, someone from the Carib is
>neither African (except for descent) nor American. They're
>Granadians, Bahamaians, Hatians, Dominicans, etc.

Because I was, in that situation, referring to color (it was a discussion about
makeup, actually), and I made the "mistake" of lumping together people with the
same skin tones as "African-American." That was the current acceptable term for
a person with abundant melanin. Miss Political Correct Psycho ripped my ass
about it, even though I had NO idea she was Caribbean-born (no, she did NOT
have an accent unless you're counting Bostonian, and she did not have "Product
of Haiti" tattooed on her forehead - just how the hell was I supposed to know?
I'm not psychic), and demanded I refer to her as a "person of color." (See my
earlier objections to the lameness of that term.)

---Mari, apparently a screaming racist for not sucking up enough or something

Jim

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Fab4Fan99 wrote:

> Me too. When people inquire about my ethnic background, I've been known to
> reply, "Part Mick, Part Wop, and when you come up with a good slur for
> Lithuanian, let me know...." <G>
>

> Frank

Well, my mom often refers to me as a stubborn Litvak.

Jim - also part Pollack

RFerrie

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

On Tue, 02 Jun 1998 17:06:57 -0400, Jim <flam...@cybercomm.net>
wrote:

So do you have gills, then?

Renee

Ilene Bilenky

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In my experience, and I've had many co-workers from Africa and the various
islands, these folks of color don't want to be identified as belonging to
the group of American blacks, who they often look down on as lazy, living
trashy, etc. Besides which, they *are* separate groups.
Ilene B

In article <199806022013...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

RHCG

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <199806020605...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, morg...@aol.com
(Morgans42) writes:

>How about picking one and staying with it?<

When "African-American" first became the term of preference, a white friend
came to visit us and asked me, very seriously, if I was still black. I assured
him that as long as Thurgood Marshall was a Negro, I would be black.

Robin (Never been to Africa, don't know anyone there)

Children are great - when they go home with someone else.

RHCG

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <MPG.fdd10397...@news.earthlink.net>,

kata...@earthlink.net (Jeri Jo Thomas) writes:

>Colored", for me, isn't particularly offensive.<

"Ain't nobody _colored_ me, I was born this way!"
Dr. Detroit

Karellen

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

<<Ilene B "could be Ukranian-American but am willing to let it go,
especially since it's meaningless">>

If I call myself a Swedish American, it sounds like I'm first generation here
and probably speak Swedish. I'm not, and I don't. So although I'm
predominantly Swedish, it's not accurate to call myself Swedish-American.

Hronn Gunnars

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

On 2 Jun 1998 06:05:57 GMT, morg...@aol.com (Morgans42) wrote:

>In article <MPG.fdd10397...@news.earthlink.net>,
>kata...@earthlink.net (Jeri Jo Thomas) writes:
>

>>I've said this before but I truly believe there are some whites,
>>maybe just the older ones, who would cut out their tongues rather
>>than use the word "black" (Or Negro for that matter) to refer to

>>African-Americans. "Colored", for me, isn't particularly
>>offensive.
>

>On the other hand, Jeri, maybe this is not something you have encountered but
>as a member of that despised oppressive can't-do-a-damn-thing-right group known
>as white folks, I'd sure like it if melanin-abundant folks could figure out
>just what the hell they wanted to be called when it's necessary to refer to
>their racial group. I've been chewed out for using "black," "Negro,"
>"Afro/African-American" (one Caribbean-born person got all over me for that
>one, how very annoying) and even "people of color" (too bloody PC and vague -
>hey, _I_ am a person of color by truthful definition, I'm sort of a

>pinky-beige). How about picking one and staying with it?
>
>---Mari

You can't stay with it because they word you pick gets ugly after a bit of
use. Once African-American has been used in a demeaning manner by somebody it
becomes rude and you need to find a new word. Same with words about other
minorities such as the physically disabled and mentally disabled. The PC
words being used today will be considered rude tomorrow.

--
Hronn Gunnars http://www.vortex.is/~hronng
email address has been changed to fool automailers, remove Z to correct

Rachel Pildis

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <3572e690...@news.usit.net>, pri...@usit.net says...

> I will catch myself (born in 1939 in the rural South) using the term -
> then I'll think, "ooops." It is a difficult habit to break. My
> parents and grandparents all used it and nobody meant anything
> offensive by it, although of course I realize that it certainly could
> be offensive. I've tried to get out of the habit and it really isn't
> an expression I have occasion to use very often. I can't speak for
> others, but I certainly don't think, "I think I'll say 'Jew him down'
> and offend a whole bunch of people." I doubt many do.

Let's just say that it isn't pleasant to hear, particularly
when one grows up Jewish where there ain't a hell of a lot of
other Jews around. Case #1: my SO grew up in rural NE Wisconsin,
where there's even fewer Jews than in central Iowa. He used "Jew"
as a verb once...he got "the look" from me, and unlike a sprog,
he got a clue and has found alternative expressions. Respect shown.

Case #2 is the opposite. My buddy Julie, who was my feminist Jewish
partner-in-crime in my teens, was visiting her father-in-law with
her husband. The FIL *repeatedly* used Jew as a verb, even after
Julie said it made her uncomfortable, and explained to him how the
phrase came about. Disrepect shown.

Case #3 is back to respect and learning. My SO's grandparents, who
are close to 80, spent their entire lives in rural Wisconsin. Their
normal vocabulary does have the racial and ethnic epithets that one
would expect. However, after spending their winters down in Florida
where there *are* Jews, and knowing that I'm Jewish, they have *never*
said one thing to make me feel uncomfortable or "foreign" around them.
Again, respect--and an ability to change--shown.

With friends, I feel free to make remarks like "do you think he's
an M.O.T.?" and "how could I not be cheap what with a Dutch and
Scottish mom and a Jewish dad?" In public, though, I think common
courtesy means that you try not to say disrespectful things. Is
this so hard? If we're going to bitch about people not keeping
their kids in line, I think we should at least try our best to keep
*ourselves* in line in public.

Rachel (BTW, the *Yiddish* disparaging word for Lithuanian is
Litvak, but a goyishe Lithuanian friend of mine uses something
like "Lucian"--I'll have to ask him what it is exactly!)
--
http://www.enteract.com/~pildis/

Lara W.

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Morgans42 wrote:

> In article <MPG.fdd10397...@news.earthlink.net>,
> kata...@earthlink.net (Jeri Jo Thomas) writes:
>
> >I've said this before but I truly believe there are some whites,
> >maybe just the older ones, who would cut out their tongues rather
> >than use the word "black" (Or Negro for that matter) to refer to
> >African-Americans. "Colored", for me, isn't particularly
> >offensive.
>
> On the other hand, Jeri, maybe this is not something you have encountered but
> as a member of that despised oppressive can't-do-a-damn-thing-right group known
> as white folks, I'd sure like it if melanin-abundant folks could figure out
> just what the hell they wanted to be called when it's necessary to refer to
> their racial group. I've been chewed out for using "black," "Negro,"
> "Afro/African-American" (one Caribbean-born person got all over me for that
> one, how very annoying) and even "people of color" (too bloody PC and vague -
> hey, _I_ am a person of color by truthful definition, I'm sort of a
> pinky-beige). How about picking one and staying with it?

In England, I heard the term "Afro-Caribbean." I think because a lot of the people
who are black and who live in England are from the West Indies and such. But I
thought of that myself, Mari. Isn't it inaccurate to call someone who grew up in
Jamaica or Haiti an "African" anything?

LW, who has a crush on a co-worker, an American of English-Scot-Irish descent but
was born in Jamaica, so he calls himself Jamaican! Yah mon! ;)

Bonus Sock

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <6l28ef$2pl$3...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>, l...@leland.Stanford.EDU
(Larisa Migachyov) wrote:

<snip>

> I have grave objections to grouping people by race; I think that skin
> color should be as irrelevant as eye color or hair color. But as long as
> we are doing it, let's go all the way - and that includes expanding the
> "white" category to include all the European ethnic groups.

What about the Black Russians?

- Don

Bonus Sock

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <rep-ya02408000R...@news.sky.net>, r...@inanna.com
(REP) wrote:

> And those people who would never say "jewed" or "gypped" don't think twice
> about saying "welshed on a bet." Just wait until the Welsh get organized.

I saw a commentator on CNN apologize for using "welshed on a bet"!

- Don
Still Getting Over "Paddy Wagon"

Rabbit

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

> On the other hand, Jeri, maybe this is not something you have encountered but
> as a member of that despised oppressive can't-do-a-damn-thing-right group known
> as white folks, I'd sure like it if melanin-abundant folks could figure out
> just what the hell they wanted to be called when it's necessary to refer to
> their racial group. I've been chewed out for using "black," "Negro,"
> "Afro/African-American" (one Caribbean-born person got all over me for that
> one, how very annoying) and even "people of color" (too bloody PC and vague -
> hey, _I_ am a person of color by truthful definition, I'm sort of a
> pinky-beige). How about picking one and staying with it?
>
> ---Mari

There was a great Bloom County cartoon over this -- "People of color?" "Yes."
"But colored people?" "NO!!!"

Rabbit

Rabbit

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Jeri Jo Thomas wrote:

> In article <ibilenky-270...@ts004d18.box-
> ma.concentric.net>, ibil...@cris.com says...
> --> Another friend who is the son of Polish Jews married a "black" American,
> --> who has background of French, African and Native American. Their son
> --> refers to himself as an "African-American". By percentage, he's more a
> --> "Polish-Jewish American!" My friend called him on it, not wanting the kid
> --> to be a knee-jerk anything.
> -->
> If this kid called himself a Polish-Jewish American in certain
> parts of The South he'd probably be lynched. However, there are
> unwritten (or perhaps even written laws, especially in The South)
> about this that the smallest dollop of African blood in a person
> makes that person black. Unless, that is, you're Jennifer Beals
> and Robert Bork. Rae Dawn Chong, Tommy Chong's daughter, is 1/4
> Chinese, 1/4 white, 1/4 Native No. American, 1/4 black, so what
> is her race? She is above it (as Kevin Kostner's love interest in
> "American Flyers", and her little boy is a blue-eyed, blond), but
> by traditional American mores (and maybe even Canadian mores
> altho the sentiment isn't the same) she's black. I wonder why?

> --
> <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
> Jeri Jo--
> kata...@earthlink.net
> MicroPlanet's "Gravity" V2.0
> <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

That's the core of prejudice: the "black blood" taints the rest.

Rabbit

Rabbit

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Morgans42 wrote:

> In article <ibilenky-270...@ts004d18.box-ma.concentric.net>,
> ibil...@cris.com (Ilene Bilenky) writes:
>
> >I appreciate the effort to refer to people in an even-handed way, and
> >"black" is the only designation that singles out color rather than distant
> >origin.
>
> Um, what about "white?" That's what all those bloody forms I fill out say,
> usually the box says "white/nonHispanic." Once in a _great_ while it'll say
> Caucasian, but to quote George Carlin that sounds more like a shoe style ("I'll
> take a pair of Caucasians in a 9D").
>

> BTW, I was quite surprised recently to hear a British friend of mine refer to
> an (Asian) Indian person as "black." Apparently in some areas of the UK they're
> quite stubborn about if you're not white, you're black - no ifs, ands, or buts.
>
> ---Mari

My birth certificate (I was born in Florida in 1959) gives my race as "white". I
wonder what other choices there were.

Rabbit

Larisa Migachyov

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Morgans42 wrote thus:

I must be meeting more heavily politicized nonwhites, then, because I've
resorted to some pretty pitiful circuitous description in order to keep from
getting bitched at. I'm told "Negro" is outdated and unacceptable (did anyone
else notice that the "United Negro College Fund" is now just "The College
Fund?"), that African/Afro-American makes often-incorrect assumptions about
origin (ok, that one I can buy), and that "black" is derogatory. And every
single time since I've left college, it was a nonwhite person getting in my
face about it (but somehow it's still OK for them to say "that white chick over
there" or to refer to every Asian person as Chinese *sigh*).

I wonder about this, too. If it is no longer politically correct to call
people "black", why is it OK to call people "white"? Even if one looks at
ethnicity, a person of Mediterranean descent will look very different from
a person of Scandinavian descent - why lump them both into the same
category? I, as a person of Semitic origin, look very different from a
friend of mine who is a person of Irish origin - our skin tones, hair
color, facial features are very different.

I have grave objections to grouping people by race; I think that skin
color should be as irrelevant as eye color or hair color. But as long as
we are doing it, let's go all the way - and that includes expanding the
"white" category to include all the European ethnic groups.

Larisa Migachyov * Quant'e bella giovinezza

Fab4Fan99

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Larisa wrote:

>I have grave objections to grouping people by race; I think that skin
>color should be as irrelevant as eye color or hair color. But as long as
>we are doing it, let's go all the way - and that includes expanding the
>"white" category to include all the European ethnic groups.

I agree--especially considering that "white" is often used, especially when
it's used negatively, as a synonym for WASP. Since only the W in WASP even
remotely applies to me, I'll pass, thanks.

Frank

Beautiful Downtown Beverly, MA KA1WZH GO RED SOX!!!
"Hard work is for people who are short on talent"--George Carlin
"I prefer to have skaters who do not struggle with elements"--Tamara Moskvina
"If I could, I would, let it go"--Bono

Fab4Fan99

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Actually, I just heard "Litvak" this weekend, from a friend of mine, who is
Jewish and whose grandparents came from Lithuania. I met his parents for the
first time--somehow, the conversation turned to Lithuania, and my pal told his
dad that my great-grandparents also came from there, but that I was a goy. . So
his Dad said, "Aah, a Litvak." and I got the explanation.

I was also telling my Mom about this thread, and I asked her if she had ever
heard of a slur for Lithuanian. She said no, but told me a funny that my
Grandfather once told her: "There are two ways to insult a Lithuanian: For a
mild, joking insult, call him 'Polish". If you really want to piss him off,
call him 'Russian'" <G>

REP

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

In article
<FIRSTNAME.LASTNAME-ya0...@newshost.dartmouth.edu>,
FIRSTNAME...@REMOVE.SPAMBLOCK.dartmouth.edu (Kristy Bronner) wrote:

> > >When I was about 11, my best friend was a Jewish kid. Our parents
ended up
> > >doing something together, I can remember what, dinner, play, I dunno.
> But my
> > >mother (and, after hearing the story, I) was mortified when my
semi-redneck
> > >father is relating some anecdote and mentioned how he "Jewed the guy
down to
> > >half price." He was clueless that he had offended everyone in the car
with
> > >one sentence.
>
> Of course, many people who would never used "jewed" as a verb use "gypped"
> all the time to mean "ripped off," or "what a gyp" as in "what a rip off."
> If you want to be really ethnically sensitive/PC, this is offensive to
> the Roma (Gypsies), who are stereotyped as thieves...

And those people who would never say "jewed" or "gypped" don't think twice
about saying "welshed on a bet." Just wait until the Welsh get organized.

-A Russo-Welsh American

REP

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

In article <199806030355...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
fab4...@aol.com (Fab4Fan99) wrote:

> Actually, I just heard "Litvak" this weekend, from a friend of mine, who is
> Jewish and whose grandparents came from Lithuania. I met his parents for the
> first time--somehow, the conversation turned to Lithuania, and my pal told his
> dad that my great-grandparents also came from there, but that I was a
goy. . So
> his Dad said, "Aah, a Litvak." and I got the explanation.

My father's family name is Litvak. I knew it meant roughly "Lithuanian."
Recently, I spoke with a charming Lithuanian gentleman who responded as
though I were a long lost and dearly loved relative when I revealed my
tenuous Lithuanian connection (my father's family lived in Russia quite
some time before emigrating), so I took advantage of this by asking him
about the name. He said it is more of a title, like "The Lithuanian One"
and is/was a Jewish name (makes sense; my father's family are Ka'hans).

Susan C. Mitchell

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Morgans42 <morg...@aol.com> wrote:

: BTW, I was quite surprised recently to hear a British friend of mine refer to

: an (Asian) Indian person as "black." Apparently in some areas of the UK they're
: quite stubborn about if you're not white, you're black - no ifs, ands, or buts.

Jessica Mitford (born England, 1917), in one of her autobiographies, spoke
of the time a cousin of hers married "an Argentinian of pure Spanish
descent." Her father's comment on this was, "Robin's married a black."

Here in the Southwestern US, "Anglo" is an accepted synonym for
"white-not-of-Hispanic-ancestry." I used "Anglo" on a Fidonet echo once,
a few years ago, and someone blew up at me: he was not an Anglo, he
argued, but a Celt.

Think globally, act locally.
Susan

--
=============== Remove SPAMWALL from my address to reply ===============
"Gadfly is what they call you when you are no longer | Seditious libel

Rabbit

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

> I have grave objections to grouping people by race; I think that skin
> color should be as irrelevant as eye color or hair color. But as long as
> we are doing it, let's go all the way - and that includes expanding the
> "white" category to include all the European ethnic groups.

Some time ago, I was describing one of my friends to another friend. Finally they had a
chance to meet. Afterwards, Friend #2 came up to me and said, "You didn't tell me she
was black." I honestly didn't know it was important.

Rabbit
(Who later discovered that Friend #2 is something of a bigot -- one day she was
complaining about "all the immigrants who come here and take over". I paused for a
moment, and then said, "You know, I'm an immigrant too.")

Ilene Bilenky

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Well, technically, it's accurate, in that black Africans were taken in
very large numbers to the islands before and during the slave times in the
U.S. The native populations in those places died out very quickly from
diseases, I believe entirely. The current populations are all sorts of
mixes of colonial whites and former Africans.
Ilene B

> In England, I heard the term "Afro-Caribbean." I think because a lot of
the people
> who are black and who live in England are from the West Indies and such. But I
> thought of that myself, Mari. Isn't it inaccurate to call someone who
grew up in
> Jamaica or Haiti an "African" anything?
>
> LW,\

Ilene Bilenky

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Isn't "goy" mildly derogatory, that is, not just indicating a gentile but
a member of "them"?
Ilene B

Jennifer Hill

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Jeri Jo Thomas wrote:

> In article <35748374...@news.vortex.is>, hro...@Zvortex.is
> says...
> --> You can't stay with it because they word you pick gets ugly after a bit of
> --> use. Once African-American has been used in a demeaning manner by somebody it
> --> becomes rude and you need to find a new word. Same with words about other
> --> minorities such as the physically disabled and mentally disabled. The PC
> --> words being used today will be considered rude tomorrow.
> -->
> Yes, but then there'll be nothing left to call us, short of
> Americans, which, over here, just isn't enough. We have sat still
> for being called "black" even tho there's not a one of us who is
> this actual color, so I think "African-American" will have a long
> shelf-life before it becomes rude.

> --
> <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
> Jeri Jo--
> kata...@earthlink.net
> MicroPlanet's "Gravity" V2.0
> <*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

What about "People of Variety" and "Person of Variety"? It works for
everyone and encompasses many colors and personalities. For short it
could be PV or POV.

Jennifer - who is not white, but sandy brown.

Jim

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Oops, gotta get the ethinic slurs add-on for the spell check.

Jim

Jennifer Hill

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

I used to have a picture in my wallet of a friend I had met at camp. He
was originally from Vietnam, but was adopted by a "white" American
family when he was 2. Whenever someone looked at the picture, the
dialog usually started...

"What is he?"
"American"
"No, what is he?"
"Oh! He's a guitarist!"
"That's not what I ment. Where's he from?"
"Oh, sorry. He's from California."
"No, I meant more specifically."
"He's from San Francisco."
"Where was he brought up?"
"Um, San Francisco"
"No, I mean what culture is he from?"
"American"
"No, what is his racial background?"
"Huh? Oh, I never thought to ask."

And I hadn't. Finally, I flat out asked him about his background (only
then did I learn he was adopted). Mind you, I had been curious as to
why he and his parents didn't have the same features, but I didn't feel
it was me place to flat out ask. Come to find out, he's had more than
one person ask if he remembers the Vietnam War! He usually says, "Yes,
and I remember being in the womb as well!"

Jennifer

Jennifer Hill

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

I find it amazing how diffenent regions have so many different terms.
Of course I've used "black" and "African-American" thinking that they
were the correct term. I've never used "people of color," "negro" (or
it's other form), or "colored person." I've used "gypped," but never
thought of where it might have come from. I've heard the term "Paddy
Wagon" but always found it quite silly and never used it. I've heard of
"Jewed," but, having knowledge of where it came from when I learned it,
have never used it. On the other hand, I've never heard the term
"welshed," so I've never - and will never - use it.

Now I'm curious as to what other words I might be using that could
offend. Seems someone ought to put out a dictionary of Ethnic slurs so
one could find these things out. I don't know that I would drastically
change my vocabulary because of it, but it would be interesting.

Jennifer - German-Celtic-American, but just call me Jen.

Linda Dachtyl

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Jeri Jo Thomas wrote:

> In article <6l28ef$2pl$3...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>,
> l...@leland.Stanford.EDU says...
> --> I have grave objections to grouping people by race; I think that skin
> --> color should be as irrelevant as eye color or hair color. But as long as
> --> we are doing it, let's go all the way - and that includes expanding the
> --> "white" category to include all the European ethnic groups.
> -->
> Well, it's a noble endeavour, trying to see beyond color. I'd
> like color to be irrelevant, too, but it hasn't ever been before
> in human history and it will still be going on at the turn of the
> 25th century unless, as a series of books I read indicated, there
> comes a time of so much assimilation that the whole world becomes
> a nice caramel color. Isn't that what the white supremacist are
> terrified of?

Of course it is! And that's why us white folk need to BREED, BREED,
BREED. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Linda

It is loading more messages.