Got to take my dog-ter to work today!

pigsrunfree

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
My boss is so cool he let me bring my dog/child to work today!
And fortunately there are no sprog around! Are there any
interesting "take your daughter to work day" stories out there?

Noelle Gresham

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00

joanne...@home.com wrote in message <39090CFD...@home.com>...

>said kid update the computer database *all day*. (Picture typing names
>and addresses for 8 hours straight...)

Sounds like the job I just quit. :)

Lizzie

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
pigsrunfree <pigsrunfr...@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote in article
<08017954...@usw-ex0104-028.remarq.com>...

> My boss is so cool he let me bring my dog/child to work today!
> And fortunately there are no sprog around! Are there any
> interesting "take your daughter to work day" stories out there?

I took my 13 year old niece in on Wednesday, which was "Take your kid to
work day" at my company. She's a very quiet smart kid, was no problem - I
had her hanging tapes in the computer room, bursting output, faxing stuff,
etc. There were about 10 kids there this year - official age limit was 9
-18, but none under 11 was there. I didn't see any being a nuisance - on
the contrary, a lot of departments got free "slave labor" for the day from
them! (They made one girl file stuff for a solid 8 hours!!)

If we have sprog problems at work it's usually because of people who bring
toddlers in to visit. There is no way to integrate toddler sprog into an
office environment. Most of the toddler visits in my office are mercifully
brief.

It would be nice to bring my dog in, but she'd be way more of a pest than
the older kids were this week - she's very social and would be running from
cubicle to cubicle begging for treats. Sort of like the toddlers <grin>....

Liz

joanne...@home.com

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
> pigsrunfree <pigsrunfr...@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote in article
> <08017954...@usw-ex0104-028.remarq.com>...
> > My boss is so cool he let me bring my dog/child to work today!
> > And fortunately there are no sprog around! Are there any
> > interesting "take your daughter to work day" stories out there?

My sister did the "take your daughter to work" thing a couple of years
ago with her teen-ager.

Now, my sister has a pretty cool job - she works for a government agency
that is involved in the movie industry. She gets to schmooze with
celebrities on occasion. When she took the kid to work, though, she made

said kid update the computer database *all day*. (Picture typing names
and addresses for 8 hours straight...)

As a treat, though, she took the daughter to a film location on the way
home from work. Daughter was introduced to, and had an interesting
conversation with, <some heart-throb actor who's name escapes me>, and
she got mail and an autographed photo from the guy later.

Sister tells me that most of daughter's friends got "taken to work" by
parents who were *teachers!*, so they just ended up going to school for
the day. (hahahaha!)

Where I am employed, we bring our dogs sometimes if we have to work on
the weekend. It's lots of fun! (Picture labs chasing each other all
through cubicle-land...)

Jo Anne

Molly

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00
In article <08017954...@usw-ex0104-028.remarq.com>,
pigsrunfr...@earthlink.net.invalid says...

> My boss is so cool he let me bring my dog/child to work today!
> And fortunately there are no sprog around! Are there any
> interesting "take your daughter to work day" stories out there?

Employees bring pets into my work fairly often. We've had turtles,
frogs, dogs, cats, kittens (newborn and beyond), and an iguana. We do
try to be sure that if someone is allergic that the animal(s) are kept at
a distance though.

It's the advantage of a small company that hasn't ever gotten around to
making rules.

Molly

MRFeathers

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
>Employees bring pets into my work fairly often. We've had turtles,
>frogs, dogs, cats, kittens (newborn and beyond), and an iguana. We do
>try to be sure that if someone is allergic that the animal(s) are kept at
>a distance though.
>
>It's the advantage of a small company that hasn't ever gotten around to
>making rules.

Wow, Molly, nice for you. I'm at a small company with few rules too but what I
find that gets us is sproggen, on a fairly regular basis.

That's not the only reason I'm job-hunting, but it's a factor.

Mary

Molly

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
In article <20000429202447...@ng-cf1.aol.com>,
mrfea...@aol.comnono says...

Now we HAVE had some trouble (IMO, though no one official seems to care)
with employees bringing their children and infants. One part-time-from-
home worker brings her two kids in when she comes in for meetings, but
they are very well behaved and generally get watched by someone in
shipping. There was a supervisor who brought in her baby pretty often -
her husband also worked for the department, and they'd pass the baby back
and forth at work when it was too sick for daycare. That was VERY
disruptive; even though she had a private office, those walls aren't
soundproof and I can believe she got much work done. They've left the
company, though, and everyone else seems to be pretty clued.

Several people felt as I did, but what can you do? She was our
supervisor, and I'm not even sure if upper management knew what was going
on.

Molly

Noelle Gresham

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00

Molly wrote in message ...

>Employees bring pets into my work fairly often. We've had turtles,
>frogs, dogs, cats, kittens (newborn and beyond), and an iguana. We do
>try to be sure that if someone is allergic that the animal(s) are kept at
>a distance though.
>
>It's the advantage of a small company that hasn't ever gotten around to
>making rules.

My husband works at a fairly small company (I think their employee count is
under 25) and when our kittens were born in 1997, he immediately became
infatuated with Gypsy, because he said she was the smartest (first one to
try to walk and start exploring, plus she just has an interesting
personality) and he asked me if he could take her to work with him sometime.
Sure, I said, just remember that while she might take to being in his office
OK, she *hates* car rides (he works a 30 minute drive away). He's never
taken her. :)

Gutterboy

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
Wrote Molly:

>There was a supervisor who brought in her baby pretty often -
>her husband also worked for the department, and they'd pass the baby back
>and forth at work when it was too sick for daycare.

Too sick for daycare, but not too sick to be around Moomee's coworkers? Gad.

Gutterboy
-----------------
The worst part about having children is ... children.

Molly

May 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/5/00
> >There was a supervisor who brought in her baby pretty often -
> >her husband also worked for the department, and they'd pass the baby back
> >and forth at work when it was too sick for daycare.
>
> If it's too sick for daycare, it's certainly too sick for office care.
> Better one employee out taking care of a sick baby than a bunch of people
> out because the baby made them sick.

While I'm not defending her practice of bringing in said sprog, the kid
was running a fever because it was teething - it wasn't truly sick. Bad
choice of words on my part in the original method. It did, however, mean
that we had the kid nearly every day for a couple of weeks.

It's been blissfully quiet since she left, though I did like her and miss
her.

Molly