OT: NEWS: Doctor sued for telling patient she is fat

kmp...@aol.com

Aug 25, 2005, 12:02:25 PM8/25/05

stePH

Aug 25, 2005, 4:05:42 PM8/25/05
I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned.

stePH
--
GoogleGroups licks balls.

Keith Barber

Aug 25, 2005, 4:15:53 PM8/25/05
kmp...@aol.com wrote in news:1124984697.495309.230660
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> http://makeashorterlink.com/?M15842DAB

And it happened in my home town.

--
Keith Barber
ane...@comcast.net
"I am the housing fairy."

No 33 Secretary

Aug 25, 2005, 5:25:49 PM8/25/05
kmp...@aol.com wrote in
news:1124984697.4...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> http://makeashorterlink.com/?M15842DAB

Assuming you're not just a fucking idiot, can you point me to some mention
of a lawsuit? The article in question is about a complaint filed with the
state. That's not a lawsuit, as anyone who isn't a retard would know.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com

kmp...@aol.com

Aug 25, 2005, 5:30:57 PM8/25/05

> Assuming you're not just a fucking idiot, can you point me to some mention
> of a lawsuit? The article in question is about a complaint filed with the
> state. That's not a lawsuit, as anyone who isn't a retard would know.

You may indeed be right--I actually copied it rather hastily from
another source, where it was labeled "Doctor sued...".

You seem to be the self-professed legal expert around here these days,
so I'll defer to you.

Veronique

Aug 25, 2005, 5:34:43 PM8/25/05

//spew!!!// goddamnsaladdressingallovertheworkkeyboardnow...

V., just HATES snorting lettuce
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

No 33 Secretary

Aug 25, 2005, 6:07:50 PM8/25/05
kmp...@aol.com wrote in

>> Assuming you're not just a fucking idiot, can you point me to some
>> mention of a lawsuit? The article in question is about a complaint
>> filed with the state. That's not a lawsuit, as anyone who isn't a
>> retard would know.
>
> You may indeed be right--I actually copied it rather hastily from
> another source, where it was labeled "Doctor sued...".

So you're only a second-hand 'tard, eh?

> You seem to be the self-professed legal expert around here these days,
> so I'll defer to you.

One does not need to be any kind of expert on anything to know the
difference between a lawsuit and a complaint to a state medical board.

One does need to be a 'tard to *not* know the difference.

If you didn't read it, why'd you post it? Fucking 'tards.

Debbie the Dogged

Aug 25, 2005, 10:25:09 PM8/25/05
acet...@earthlink.net says...

> I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned.

I'm not fat, I'm built for comfort, not speed.

--
Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
"Poodles are space aliens who think they've disguised

Tess

Aug 25, 2005, 11:45:48 PM8/25/05
Well, I'm fat, and I know it, and my point of view is this: if I go to my
annual physical, I expect to hear about my weight. I also expect the
doctor's comments to be supportive -- information about my condition, and
suggestions for treatment, exercise, or other methods of weight loss. And I
expect my doctor to be professional, objective, clinical, and not emotional
or shaming. Luckily, I have a primary physician who fulfills those
expectations.

But, if I'm seeing a doc on the weekend at the Quickie Clinic for strep
throat, or because I have cut my finger and need stitches, I expect to get
the antibiotics, or the stitches, period. No lectures about things that
have nothing to do with the condition for which I'm seeking treatment.

That being said, would I complain if the Quickie Clinic doctor acted like a
jerk? Probably, but not to the medical board. I'd just call him on it,
right then and there. It would go something like this:

"Doctor, I'm well aware that I'm overweight. I live in this body, and no
one wants me to lose weight more than, well, me. But since I'm already
feeling lousy from this strep throat/gaping laceration/other illness or
injury, I'd rather focus on getting better from that, for the time being.
So, how about that prescription/those stitches? Thanks so much."

It's not too much to ask, really.

Tess

<kmp...@aol.com> wrote in message
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?M15842DAB

Kari

Aug 26, 2005, 12:08:22 AM8/26/05
stePH wrote:
> I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned.

I'm not fat, I'm just well-insulated. :)

Kari

REP

Aug 26, 2005, 12:11:21 AM8/26/05
In article <1124984697.4...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
kmp...@aol.com wrote:

> http://makeashorterlink.com/?M15842DAB

This story has been all over the place for the past few days, and I have
yet to hear what the woman went to see the doctor for, which could have
been a complaint completely unrelated to her weight. I saw the doctor
interviewed, and he came across as an arrogant little turd in the
disparaging way he spoke about this patient and her husband, as well as
other overweight patients.

--
"Did Father shoot him? I will eat Grandfather for dinner."
- Helen Keller, on learning of the death of her grandfather

Kari

Aug 26, 2005, 12:15:09 AM8/26/05
Tess wrote:

> Well, I'm fat, and I know it, and my point of view is this: if I go to my
> annual physical, I expect to hear about my weight. I also expect the
> doctor's comments to be supportive -- information about my condition, and
> suggestions for treatment, exercise, or other methods of weight loss. And I
> expect my doctor to be professional, objective, clinical, and not emotional
> or shaming. Luckily, I have a primary physician who fulfills those
> expectations.

I'm lucky to have a physician who also struggles
with his weight. That's why he doesn't get all
preachy with me. And he specializes in weight
loss. He takes very good care of me.

He was asking me a few months ago what my biggest
problem was when it comes to losing weight. I
told him that I am addicted to chocolate. He
asked what king of chocolate. I said the M&M
candy bars with the peanut butter crunchies and
Lindt truffels.

He said, "Oooooooooo! Have you tried those white
chocolate Lindt truffles?" We both were laughing
and joking about how weak we are when it comes
to sweets. He also told me how he was pissed off
when he had gone to the store to get the Haagen
Daas cherry cheesecake bars and they were out.

I also told him about how my little brother is
an ectomorph and never gains weight. >:( We
both agree that some people have all the luck.

Kari

Thrasher Remailer

Aug 26, 2005, 12:30:13 AM8/26/05
No 33 Secretary wrote:

> One does not need to be any kind of expert on anything to know the
> difference between a lawsuit and a complaint to a state medical board.
>
> One does need to be a 'tard to *not* know the difference.
>
> If you didn't read it, why'd you post it? Fucking 'tards.

Don't mind Terry, he's just in a mood because his tampon needs changing and
he doesn't know
how to use Google to look things up on his own.

bitbucket

Aug 26, 2005, 8:39:36 AM8/26/05
On 25 Aug 2005 09:02:25 -0700, kmp...@aol.com <kmp...@aol.com> wrote:
| http://makeashorterlink.com/?M15842DAB

i much prefer makeashorterlink to tinyurl because you actually have a chance
to see where you're going before you actually get there... vs tinyurl where
you don't have a clue, and just blithely go about your merry way to who
knows where...

No 33 Secretary

Aug 26, 2005, 11:30:05 AM8/26/05
Thrasher Remailer <thra...@reece.net.au> wrote in

Too chicken to post under a real name eh?

WalmartGreeter

Aug 26, 2005, 4:23:32 PM8/26/05
Thanks, Tess for your thoughts on this. I am overweight also. I have
managed to lose about 20lbs since last winter. You are absolutely
correct in your assessment of these doctors. I don't mind my Primary
Care Physcian talking to me about my weight - that's to be expected.
But when I went to the eye doctor this summer to get my first set of
reading classes (hit 42 this year and can no longer read the exponents
on my calc tests) I got a five-minute diatribe on my weight and how
his friend just made a few "lifestyle" changes and ended up losing a
lot. Never mind that I have osteo-arthritis and need knee replacement
surgery on both knees. I guess I need to ignore the fact that it's not
only painful to exercise but I stay in pain for hours after exercising.
I force myself to go ahead and do it anyway. I resent the fact that
these people seem to think that I just need to change my "lifestyle."
I already know I need to lose weight. Leave me the hell alone. :)

WalmartGreeter

Aug 26, 2005, 4:27:28 PM8/26/05
>He said, "Oooooooooo! Have you tried those white
chocolate Lindt truffles?" We both were laughing

Thanks for the laugh, Kari. :)

Gillian White

Aug 26, 2005, 9:10:26 PM8/26/05
"WalmartGreeter" <chauga...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> Thanks, Tess for your thoughts on this. I am overweight also. I have
> managed to lose about 20lbs since last winter. You are absolutely
> correct in your assessment of these doctors. I don't mind my Primary
> Care Physcian talking to me about my weight - that's to be expected.
> But when I went to the eye doctor this summer to get my first set of
> reading classes (hit 42 this year and can no longer read the exponents
> on my calc tests) I got a five-minute diatribe on my weight and how
> his friend just made a few "lifestyle" changes and ended up losing a
> lot. Never mind that I have osteo-arthritis and need knee replacement
> surgery on both knees.

My mum had both of her knees replaced last year. It's given her a new lease
of life, and she loves them. I hope you're able to get yours done sooner
rather than later.

I have inherited my mother's joint problems, and fully expect to need at
least my left knee replaced when I'm older. It's okay at the moment, and I'm
trying to avoid doing anything that will make it worse. Unfortunately, that
seriously limits the forms of exercise I can take, which makes it all the
harder to lose weight :-(

Gillian

mAlice

Aug 26, 2005, 10:27:11 PM8/26/05
In article <JDwPe.4123$L77....@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,

REP <r...@inanna.com> wrote:
>In article <1124984697.4...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> kmp...@aol.com wrote:
>
>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?M15842DAB
>>

>This story has been all over the place for the past few days, and I have
>yet to hear what the woman went to see the doctor for, which could have
>been a complaint completely unrelated to her weight. I saw the doctor
>interviewed, and he came across as an arrogant little turd in the
>disparaging way he spoke about this patient and her husband, as well as
>other overweight patients.

this guy is actually the doctor one of my coworkers goes to--she says
he's a real quack (and yes, I asked why she was still going to him, but
apparently he's been her doc for a long time and inertia is hard to overcome)
and she thinks that he is purposely bringing all this attention onto himself
because he loves the notoriety. and she suspects that the story in the
press is not the whole story, either....she said she could easily see this
guy being excessively rude to this woman....

mAlice

dalia

Aug 27, 2005, 10:16:30 AM8/27/05
WalmartGreeter wrote:
> Thanks, Tess for your thoughts on this. I am overweight also. I have
> managed to lose about 20lbs since last winter.

Good for you!

You are absolutely
> correct in your assessment of these doctors. I don't mind my Primary
> Care Physcian talking to me about my weight - that's to be expected.
> But when I went to the eye doctor this summer to get my first set of
> reading classes (hit 42 this year and can no longer read the exponents
> on my calc tests) I got a five-minute diatribe on my weight and how
> his friend just made a few "lifestyle" changes and ended up losing a
> lot.

What an asshole. I hope you're not going to him for future eye care.

Never mind that I have osteo-arthritis and need knee replacement
> surgery on both knees. I guess I need to ignore the fact that it's not
> only painful to exercise but I stay in pain for hours after exercising.
> I force myself to go ahead and do it anyway.

Wow.

I resent the fact that
> these people seem to think that I just need to change my "lifestyle."
> I already know I need to lose weight. Leave me the hell alone. :)

I agree. And good luck with the knee surgery!

-dalia

dalia

Aug 27, 2005, 10:23:18 AM8/27/05
REP wrote:
> In article <1124984697.4...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> kmp...@aol.com wrote:
>

>>http://makeashorterlink.com/?M15842DAB
>>

> This story has been all over the place for the past few days, and I have
> yet to hear what the woman went to see the doctor for, which could have
> been a complaint completely unrelated to her weight. I saw the doctor
> interviewed, and he came across as an arrogant little turd in the
> disparaging way he spoke about this patient and her husband, as well as
> other overweight patients.

Is this the guy?

http://www.tobypress.com/aut_print/Terry_Bennett_p.jpg

He's all healthy looking and stuff. He may drop from a sudden heart
attack while his fat patients live into their 80s.

-dalia

WalmartGreeter

Aug 27, 2005, 10:25:52 AM8/27/05
>My mum had both of her knees replaced last year. It's given her a new lease
>of life, and she loves them. I hope you're able to get yours done sooner
>rather than later.

Kudos to your mum! It's so good to hear of someone that has gotten
their life back through knee replacement. I will have to wait awhile
for mine - have crappy insurance right now b/c of going to school - but
I can hardly wait to do all of the things that I used to do but can't
anymore. Also, I have promised myself that when I finally get it done
I am going to take one of those tandem hangliding rides! Always wanted
to fly in a hanglider. Woohoo!

>I'm trying to avoid doing anything that will make it worse. Unfortunately, that
>seriously limits the forms of exercise I can take, which makes it all the
>harder to lose weight :-(

Boy, I feel your pain. The only excercise I can do is the reclining
cycle and swimming (which I love.) I also do upper body weights.
Since I can only stand for about 10 minutes at a time I am limited on
the treadmill but I do try to do that too.

Although I am sorry to hear that you are suffering through the same
thing, it's good to have someone to chat with who knows what I am going
through. :)

WalmartGreeter

Aug 27, 2005, 10:31:49 AM8/27/05
>I agree. And good luck with the knee surgery!

>-dalia

Thank you so much, Dalia, for your kind support. It is much
appreciated. :-)

Kari

Aug 27, 2005, 10:40:34 AM8/27/05

I have to say good luck, too. It'll be nice not
having squeaky knees for once. :)

Kari

Gillian White

Aug 27, 2005, 12:17:10 PM8/27/05

> Boy, I feel your pain. The only excercise I can do is the reclining
> cycle and swimming (which I love.) I also do upper body weights.
> Since I can only stand for about 10 minutes at a time I am limited on
> the treadmill but I do try to do that too.

You may be able to help here then. I am considering buying some home
exercise equipment, and a bike looks like the best choice. However, I have
been given conflicting advice about which style is best-suited to problem
knees - some people say the uprights, some people say reclining. I don't
like the uprights because they're murder on your backside - recliners are
much more comfortable! I presume from what you're saying that your reclining
bike doesn't cause you any pain...

BTW, if you can do standing exercise, an elliptical might be better for you
than a treadmill. It gives the same effect, but the impact is reduced, so it
would be less painful.

Do you use any alternative meds? Do you find that any of them help? I'm
taking Cod Liver Oil and Glucosamine/Chondroitin. I'm skeptical as to
whether it does any good though.

> Although I am sorry to hear that you are suffering through the same
> thing, it's good to have someone to chat with who knows what I am going
> through. :)

It sounds as if you're further down the road than I am. I have bad knee and
heel pain, but it's not yet so bad that I can't walk for fairly long
distances. I seize up afterwards, but I can still do it.

The big problem for me at the moment is my job. I work in a customer-service
counter position, which requires me to stand for long periods of time. I
have the most cushioned pair of shoes known to man, but I still feel like
I'm ready for a leg transplant by the end of the day.

I have recently been to see a physio for a biomechanic evaluation. He told
me that a contributing factor is bad posture. My left shoulder, which is
above the problem knee, is lower than my right. I'm walking lopsided, and
that's placing too much pressure on the joint. I'm trying to get this sorted
out.

Gillian

Veronique

Aug 27, 2005, 12:45:29 PM8/27/05
Gillian White wrote:

> Do you use any alternative meds? Do you find that any of them help? I'm
> taking Cod Liver Oil and Glucosamine/Chondroitin. I'm skeptical as to
> whether it does any good though.

Just a data point here. I started playing co-ed recreational soccer
about ten years ago. The pain in my knees was so bad the evening of the
game, it would wake me up at night. I would consistantly take three
ibuprofen before going to bed after a game to ensure I'd be able to
sleep.

Enter glucosamine/chondroitin. I picked up a bottle at Trader Joe's,
took two-thirds of the recommended dose (two tabs instead of three) and
took them both in the morning (instead of one tab three times/day). It
took about a year for me to realize that I no longer had to take
ibuprofen before bed, and two years after, I stopped needing to wrap my
knees before each game. I've been playing MORE since then (between
adding a scrimmage and another team) and I haven't looked back.

My advice? Take it consistently, and give it time to work. You might
also add MSM, which helps control inflammation and provides sulfur
support (the bottle says, "support for healthy joints, muscles, skin,
nails & hair.")

I'm not sure what you expect from the Cod Liver Oil, as I've not heard
of any joint indicators for that. For help with weight control,
especially if you have any diabetic tendencies, you might try
alpha-lipoic acid. I also take conjugated linleic acid, which
supposedly helps with weight.

But do keep on the glucosamine/chondroitin for at least a year before
you decide it's not working. I've had "crunchy" knees since my
twenties, and my mother had one knee replaced last year (and her sister
had BOTH knees replace this year). My hopeful theory is that since I've
started with the supplements and weight control about twenty years
earlier than either of them, my bits and pieces might not wear quite so
fast.

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Gillian White

Aug 27, 2005, 1:37:08 PM8/27/05
"Veronique" <veroniq...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> But do keep on the glucosamine/chondroitin for at least a year before
> you decide it's not working. I've had "crunchy" knees since my
> twenties, and my mother had one knee replaced last year (and her sister
> had BOTH knees replace this year). My hopeful theory is that since I've
> started with the supplements and weight control about twenty years
> earlier than either of them, my bits and pieces might not wear quite so
> fast.

That's my theory as well. My mum started to need her knees done in her
mid-50s, and I'm only 32, so I'm hoping that if I take what action I can
now, it will at least delay the onset of serious problems for as long as
possible.

I appreciate hearing your opinion of G/C. It's obviously working for you, so
I will keep on it. At the moment, I'm taking 2000mg of Glucosamine &
Chondroitin Sulfate, 1000 mg of Evening Primrose Oil and 1000mg of Cod Liver
Oil. The EPO is more for hair & skin, but there is evidence that CLO is
helpful in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and other joint problems,
because the Omega 3 oils apparently have anti-inflammatory properties. My
mother took Cod Liver Oil in the pure liquid form (ack!) for two years
before her op, and swore by it. She says it helped enough that she was able
to reduce her intake of Ibuprofen and Voltarol.

I will try some alpha-lipoic acid as well. I'm not diabetic, but I know that
I have my worst food binges when I have low blood sugar, so this might help.

Gillian

WalmartGreeter

Aug 27, 2005, 10:03:54 PM8/27/05

> I have to say good luck, too. It'll be nice not
> having squeaky knees for once. :)

*Grinning Like a Sprog in Disney World* Yes, indeedie!

WalmartGreeter

Aug 27, 2005, 10:32:49 PM8/27/05
>I presume from what you're saying that your reclining
>bike doesn't cause you any pain...

Be glad to help. Reclining is the way to go for me. It is easier on
the knees IMHO. I don't experience any pain with the reclining. Also,
I am very heavy (260) and so it is more comfortable seatwise.

>BTW, if you can do standing exercise, an elliptical might be better for you

Can't do it for longer than 5 minutes at a time but boy what a workout.
I would rather do the elliptical if I could stand it - I go very
slowly but it feels like I am getting a better workout than on a
treadmill.

>Do you use any alternative meds? Do you find that any of them help? I'm
>taking Cod Liver Oil and Glucosamine/Chondroitin. I'm skeptical as to
>whether it does any good though.

I was diagnosed with this crap (along with the heel spurs) when I was
35. I went to the doctor originally because I thought I had pulled a
tendon. I was working 2 jobs, one being in retail as a cashier at the
time. Had to quit that job b/c I couldn't stand and the management
frowned upon me sitting. Luckily for me, I didn't really need the job
at that point or I would have been in a huge predicament.

Over the years my doctor prescribed Vioxx (didn't work), Celebrex
(worked very well but had severe stomach upset when I took it),
Ibuprofen (doesn't work), and the Glucosamine. I stuck with the
Glucosamine for about 6 months and didn't see any improvement so I
stopped. But as I read Veronique's post I realize that maybe I didn't
give it long enough.

The only thing that helps me besides Celebrex is plain old Bayer
aspirin. When I need to I swallow three at a time and go on my merry
way. I have been off my Celebrex since the hoohaa broke out about it a
couple years ago. Seems to me that this is a situation of the cure
being worse than the disease, especially at my relatively young age.

>I work in a customer-service
>counter position, which requires me to stand for long periods of time.

OMG, I feel so bad for you. Woooof.

>My left shoulder, which is
>above the problem knee, is lower than my right. I'm walking lopsided

Now, that is interesting. Because I have walked lopsided, have my
whole life. My SO refers to me as a mountain goat, one side of me
being shorter to walk up and down mountains. :) Hmmmmm, need to think
about this one.

FYI, if you haven't tried it, water therapy (jacuzzi or hot tubs)
really works for me. I feel like a new person when I come out of one
of these. When we get a place of our own I would like to have one of
these installed.

Gillian White

Aug 27, 2005, 11:21:25 PM8/27/05

> FYI, if you haven't tried it, water therapy (jacuzzi or hot tubs)
> really works for me. I feel like a new person when I come out of one
> of these. When we get a place of our own I would like to have one of
> these installed.

I have a foot spa. I use it every day when I get in from work. On the bad
days, it's the only thing that makes the pain bearable for the rest of the
night.

Gillian

dalia

Aug 28, 2005, 9:23:24 AM8/28/05

Do you both need knee surgery? If so, I'm sorry I didn't wish you
luck, Kari.

-dalia

Cori

Aug 28, 2005, 10:12:59 AM8/28/05

> I appreciate hearing your opinion of G/C. It's obviously working for you, so
> I will keep on it. At the moment, I'm taking 2000mg of Glucosamine &
> Chondroitin Sulfate, 1000 mg of Evening Primrose Oil and 1000mg of Cod Liver
> Oil. The EPO is more for hair & skin, but there is evidence that CLO is
> helpful in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and other joint problems,
> because the Omega 3 oils apparently have anti-inflammatory properties. My
> mother took Cod Liver Oil in the pure liquid form (ack!) for two years
> before her op, and swore by it. She says it helped enough that she was able
> to reduce her intake of Ibuprofen and Voltarol.
>
> I will try some alpha-lipoic acid as well. I'm not diabetic, but I know that
> I have my worst food binges when I have low blood sugar, so this might help.
>
> Gillian

I recommend this fish oil supplement.
http://www.iherb.com/rxomega31.html
It's pharmaceutical grade so you can take a much higher dosage.
(They filter out the heavy metals, and pollutants.)
Definitely good for inflammatory conditions.

Cori

Jason Steiner

Aug 28, 2005, 10:33:55 AM8/28/05
Kari <felici...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I'm lucky to have a physician who also struggles
> with his weight. That's why he doesn't get all
> preachy with me. And he specializes in weight
> loss. He takes very good care of me.

Would you go to a dentist who had rotted teeth?

"He takes very good care of me" indeed.

jason

--
"Listen, my boy, I can't abide children. I know it's the style nowadays to
make a terrible fuss over you - but I don't go for it. As far as I'm concerned,

Kari

Aug 28, 2005, 12:37:58 PM8/28/05
Jason Steiner wrote:
> Kari <felici...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>I'm lucky to have a physician who also struggles
>>with his weight. That's why he doesn't get all
>>preachy with me. And he specializes in weight
>>loss. He takes very good care of me.
>

> Would you go to a dentist who had rotted teeth?
>
> "He takes very good care of me" indeed.

Who the fuck peed in your beer? For pity's sake
lighten up and get over yourself. Geez!

Kari

Kari

Aug 28, 2005, 12:40:37 PM8/28/05
dalia wrote:

> Kari wrote:

>>>Thank you so much, Dalia, for your kind support. It is much
>>>appreciated. :-)
>>

>>I have to say good luck, too. It'll be nice not
>>having squeaky knees for once. :)
>>

> Do you both need knee surgery?

I don't...yet. My knees do like to argue with me
quite a bit, but they're not bad enough to do
anything yet.

If so, I'm sorry I didn't wish you luck, Kari.

No need to worry. But thank you for the good wishes. :)

Kari

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jules W.

Aug 28, 2005, 1:32:47 PM8/28/05
<But when I went to the eye doctor this summer to get my first set of
reading classes (hit 42 this year and can no longer read the exponents
on my calc tests) I got a five-minute diatribe on my weight and how
his friend just made a few "lifestyle" changes and ended up losing a
lot. Never mind that I have osteo-arthritis and need knee replacement

surgery on both knees.

In a situation like that, tell the guy what I have told people who make
unwarranted comments:

"Tell me something I don't already KNOW."

It usually shuts 'em up, even if they make an indignant comment.
Somewhere, subconsciously, they know it's none of their business.

Jules W.

Veronique

Aug 28, 2005, 1:52:01 PM8/28/05

I guess the "lifestyle changes" are useful for that segment of the
population that hasn't ever considered that their eating/exercise
habits might have something to do with weight. Myself, I get a bit of a
laugh everytime I see "easy weight loss tips" like "switch from soft
drinks to water at the office" or "eat fresh fruit instead of
cheesecake for dessert." What these tip mavens don't seem to
understand is exactly what you know: we've heard it all, we've done
what we could, and sometimes we don't have control over things (like
your knees) to be able to change further.

Also, the smugness of people who simply aren't interested in food
lecturing those of us who are irritates me no end.

Jason Steiner

Aug 28, 2005, 1:20:27 PM8/28/05

Name one other health issue where a doctor who'd
been unable to deal with that issue himself would
be considered a good advisor.

Jason Steiner

Aug 28, 2005, 2:23:40 PM8/28/05
Pete <fuck...@fuck.bush> wrote:

> Kari <felici...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > Who the fuck peed in your beer? For pity's sake
> > lighten up and get over yourself. Geez!
>
> Kari, ya gotsta consider the source. In this case, the source is a waste
> of skin.
>
> You're wonderful just as you are.

Hell, I'm for legalizing heroin. If a consenting adults want to
destroy themselves, that's fine with me. I don't care if their
psychological crutch of choice is opiates or Krispy Kremes. But
doctors shouldn't be in the practice of making people feel good about
their addictions. Doctors who are addicts themselves should not be
giving advice on how to deal with addiction.

> Btw NEW DELBERT IS OUT! "COST OF LIVING." Great record. Available on
> iTunes.

How old was Delbert when he had his daughter again, Pete?

> By the way, FUCK YOU JASON STEINER. You fucking piece of shit...Pete

It's flattering that I'm your second choice after Delbert turned you
down for a woman, but I don't swing that way either.

Kari

Aug 28, 2005, 3:19:08 PM8/28/05
MFS wrote:
> Kari <felici...@verizon.net> wrote in news:GLlQe.4487$FL1.4022@trnddc09:

>>Who the fuck peed in your beer?
>

> That's not pee; that's Coors Light. I'd be upset, too.

LOL!

Kari

Kari

Aug 28, 2005, 3:22:26 PM8/28/05
Pete wrote:

> In article <GLlQe.4487$FL1.4022@trnddc09>,

> Kari <felici...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>>Who the fuck peed in your beer? For pity's sake
>>lighten up and get over yourself. Geez!
>

> Kari, ya gotsta consider the source. In this case, the source is a waste
> of skin.
>
> You're wonderful just as you are.

Why, thank you, Pete! And you and MFS are wonderful, too.

> Btw NEW DELBERT IS OUT! "COST OF LIVING." Great record. Available on
> iTunes.

Oooooooooo! I'm on my to check it out. :)

> By the way, FUCK YOU JASON STEINER. You fucking piece of shit...Pete

I'll second that!

Kari

Etaoin Shrdlu

Aug 28, 2005, 6:27:02 PM8/28/05
In article <1125250367.3...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

There's also the flip side of this:

"OH MY GOD I'M FAT!!!!!! LET ME GO PLAY IN TRAFFIC!!!!! I NEVER KNEW!!!!"

Personally, I'd prefer to be treated by somebody who was struggling
with the same problem. I don't trust eye doctors who don't wear glasses.
I don't trust orthodontists who have never struggled with braces. And
I detest people with sticks up their butts who think they are perfect.

Leslie

Message has been deleted

Gillian White

Aug 28, 2005, 6:46:29 PM8/28/05
"Jason Steiner" <ja...@gaydeceiver.com> wrote in message

> Name one other health issue where a doctor who'd
> been unable to deal with that issue himself would
> be considered a good advisor.

My dentist regaled me during my last visit with the tales of his septic
abcess that ended up with a tooth being taken out.

And look at the number of doctors who smoke...

Gillian

Kari

Aug 28, 2005, 7:55:51 PM8/28/05
Caine wrote:
> Etaoin Shrdlu wrote in alt.support.childfree:

>>Personally, I'd prefer to be treated by somebody who was struggling
>>with the same problem. I don't trust eye doctors who don't wear glasses.
>>I don't trust orthodontists who have never struggled with braces. And
>>I detest people with sticks up their butts who think they are perfect.
>

> Amen. One of the first docs I saw when I ended up being dx'd with
> fibromyalgia kept railing on and on about how skinny I was. (I'm a
> perfectly healthy weight for my size.) This doc was thinner than a stick
> his own self. When he finally shut up about how skinny I was, and that was
> a trait of "type A" people, I looked at him and said "have you looked in a
> mirror lately, Doc?" I found another doc right away.

Geesh! And what would being skinny have to do
with fibromyalgia anyway? I know several ppl
who have this condition and are of every shape
and size. Color me puzzled. Good thing you
found another doc. :)

My sister had a really bad experience with a
pediatrician. He was more concerned about
her socio-economic status and passing judgment
on her by calling her an inexperienced mom.
(She already had one kid and was getting help
for her second). Needless to say, she never
went to him again.

Kari

Message has been deleted

meb

Aug 28, 2005, 11:32:07 PM8/28/05
WalmartGreeter wrote:

If you ever have access to a diaper-free pool, I recommend water
jogging. Your submerged weight is approximately 1/10 your regular
weight, which helps reduce stress to your feet and knees. Water jogging
is not very aerobic for me though, since my heart rate hardly budges
from resting, but that could be a good thing! I still feel like I had a
workout though, probably from pushing water around.

It's too bad about Vioxx and Celebrex. When my knee problems started, I
tried ibuprofen then feldene. After finally getting prescribed Vioxx, I
found it cut my pain by almost 95% overnight. It worked so well that I
did not have to stay on it for too long.

Given the situation now with a lot of pain meds, I try to spend time in
water whenever my knee acts up. Good luck with your knee problems.

-Mb

WalmartGreeter

Aug 29, 2005, 9:23:51 AM8/29/05
>"OH MY GOD I'M FAT!!!!!! LET ME GO PLAY IN TRAFFIC!!!!! I NEVER KNEW!!!!"

*Snorting, making coffee go down the wrong way*

>Personally, I'd prefer to be treated by somebody who was struggling
>with the same problem. I don't trust eye doctors who don't wear glasses.
>I don't trust orthodontists who have never struggled with braces. And
>I detest people with sticks up their butts who think they are perfect.

Never thought about it that way but I think I will practice this in the
future, though.

WalmartGreeter

Aug 29, 2005, 9:28:33 AM8/29/05
<Snip>

>What these tip mavens don't seem to
>understand is exactly what you know: we've heard it all, we've done
>what we could, and sometimes we don't have control over things

Makes me wanna slap'em back into last week. :-P

Sharon

Aug 29, 2005, 1:30:05 PM8/29/05

In article <1125087812....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "WalmartGreeter" <chauga...@bellsouth.net> writes:
> Thanks, Tess for your thoughts on this. I am overweight also. I have
> managed to lose about 20lbs since last winter. You are absolutely
> correct in your assessment of these doctors. I don't mind my Primary
> Care Physcian talking to me about my weight - that's to be expected.

> But when I went to the eye doctor this summer to get my first set of
> reading classes (hit 42 this year and can no longer read the exponents
> on my calc tests) I got a five-minute diatribe on my weight and how
> his friend just made a few "lifestyle" changes and ended up losing a
> lot. Never mind that I have osteo-arthritis and need knee replacement
> surgery on both knees. I guess I need to ignore the fact that it's not
> only painful to exercise but I stay in pain for hours after exercising.
> I force myself to go ahead and do it anyway. I resent the fact that
> these people seem to think that I just need to change my "lifestyle."
> I already know I need to lose weight. Leave me the hell alone. :)

Ouch, I can really empathize with you. I have what's left over from
juvenile reumatoid arthritis (I'm 41). "Left over" means that the joints that
were damaged when I was young still ache and hurt even though I no longer have
flare-ups. It can best be described as "my whole skeleton aches". My left
ankle is surgically fused and the right one's been replaced. So I have
the same problem you do with exercise and weight control.
Strangely, no doctor has EVER commented on my weight, even back when I
weighed 178. (I'm 5'5") So although I haven't gotten any negative feedback
from anybody, I never got any advice, encouragement, or assistance from them
either.
My perfect exercise is high intensity water aerobics. I'm stuck in a
twilight zone where I'm too fit for low intensity water aerobics and get bored
stiff, but too much of a klutz and my bones are too delicate for regular
on-land aerobics. When you say the words water aerobics, people seem to think
of only classes full of elderly or ultra-heavy people. Nobody but me seems to
know that water aerobics in deep water can be a really kick-ass exercise.

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"

Message has been deleted

Sharon

Aug 29, 2005, 1:47:47 PM8/29/05
In article <detdnm$c60$1...@reader2.panix.com>, ra...@panix.com (Etaoin Shrdlu) writes:

> "OH MY GOD I'M FAT!!!!!! LET ME GO PLAY IN TRAFFIC!!!!! I NEVER KNEW!!!!"
>
> Personally, I'd prefer to be treated by somebody who was struggling
> with the same problem. I don't trust eye doctors who don't wear glasses.
> I don't trust orthodontists who have never struggled with braces. And
> I detest people with sticks up their butts who think they are perfect.
>
> Leslie

You have a valid point here. I've found that most reumatologists are
healthy people. It's extremely difficult to fully comprehend pain when you
haven't experienced it. Especially something nebulous like aching bones. Or
the pain of fibromyalgia. So few RD's have been where their patients are,
about all they can do is treat us based on symptoms and statistics.

C&HWood

Aug 29, 2005, 2:09:36 PM8/29/05
fr...@encompasserve.org (Sharon) wrote:

> My perfect exercise is high intensity water aerobics. I'm stuck in a
>twilight zone where I'm too fit for low intensity water aerobics and get bored
>stiff, but too much of a klutz and my bones are too delicate for regular
>on-land aerobics. When you say the words water aerobics, people seem to think
>of only classes full of elderly or ultra-heavy people. Nobody but me seems to
>know that water aerobics in deep water can be a really kick-ass exercise.

Hey, I have juvenile-onset RA, too! Very similar issues currently at
39 - only infrequent flares caused by stress or too much activity, but
lots of damage from my early years, and fibromyalgia, chronic
myofascial pain, and a host of other
suspected-to-be-autoimmune-related issues like allergies, etc.

I also have found water exercise to be a HUGE help. When the body
can't take weight-bearing exercise, using water to reduce the tear and
wear on the joints really helps me continue my efforts. I'm
especially fond of deep-water exercise, using the flotation belts, but
even just getting in the water and paddling around a while is
something! And all the doctors say that getting some amount of
exercise is critical in maintaining what level of function you have.

For those whose arthritis keeps them from exercising with walking,
etc., water exercise can be very gentle on the joints and a real help
in getting back to the person you want to be. I encourage anyone
interested to contact their local Arthritis Foundation about local
programs of warm water exercise. Many times these are offered free or
at very low charge to arthritis sufferers.

Holly

J.D. Spangler

Aug 29, 2005, 3:00:57 PM8/29/05
veroniq...@yahoo.com says...

>Jules W. wrote:
>> <But when I went to the eye doctor this summer to get my first set of
>> reading classes (hit 42 this year and can no longer read the exponents
>> on my calc tests) I got a five-minute diatribe on my weight and how
>> his friend just made a few "lifestyle" changes and ended up losing a
>> lot. Never mind that I have osteo-arthritis and need knee replacement
>>
>> surgery on both knees.
>>
>> In a situation like that, tell the guy what I have told people who make
>> unwarranted comments:
>>
>> "Tell me something I don't already KNOW."
>>
>> It usually shuts 'em up, even if they make an indignant comment.
>> Somewhere, subconsciously, they know it's none of their business.
>>

>I guess the "lifestyle changes" are useful for that segment of the
>population that hasn't ever considered that their eating/exercise
>habits might have something to do with weight. Myself, I get a bit of a
>laugh everytime I see "easy weight loss tips" like "switch from soft
>drinks to water at the office" or "eat fresh fruit instead of
>cheesecake for dessert." What these tip mavens don't seem to
>understand is exactly what you know: we've heard it all, we've done
>what we could, and sometimes we don't have control over things (like
>your knees) to be able to change further.

Not *everyone* has heard it all. As a gamer I'm amazed how many fellow
gamers don't seem to understand the concept of a diet. Saying "I've cut
down my eating" as they sit down with a bag of chips and a liter of soda,
after a big meal at a steakhouse... just because they don't have sour cream
'n onion dip for the chips. Or exercise. They don't realize how even a
short but regular exercise routine each day will add up. Or how even 30
minutes walking a day will help as well.

I usually keep my mouth shut, but I've fought(and won) weight problems from
both ends of the scales(currently once again in top form, thankfully), and
while there are often medical reasons sometimes it's just sheer laziness.
And as a slacker myself, I'm pretty good at knowing which is which among
my friends. ;^)

--
Regards,
J.D. Spangler

stePH

Aug 30, 2005, 9:51:37 AM8/30/05
> I don't trust eye doctors who don't wear glasses.

They might be wearing contact lenses. Or have had corrective surgery.
How can you tell?

> I don't trust orthodontists who have never struggled with braces.

Again, how can you tell?

stePH
still big-boned
--
GoogleGroups licks balls.

Jason Steiner

Aug 30, 2005, 11:05:14 AM8/30/05
Etaoin Shrdlu <ra...@panix.com> wrote:

> There's also the flip side of this:
>
> "OH MY GOD I'M FAT!!!!!! LET ME GO PLAY IN TRAFFIC!!!!! I NEVER KNEW!!!!"

Given the number of parents out there who think their obese three-
year-old is "just a good eater", I'm sure it does come as a shock to
many.

> Personally, I'd prefer to be treated by somebody who was struggling
> with the same problem.

I'd prefer to be treated by somebody who'd OVERCOME the same problem.
Someone who's still STRUGGLING obviously doesn't know how to fix
the problem.

But if the idea is to get consolation and excuses, struggling is
better. After all, if a professional can't fix a problem, what
hope does anyone else have? A struggling professional takes the
pressure off.

> I detest people with sticks up their butts who think they are perfect.

Yeah. How dare they imply that it's possible to change? That implies
that you could do it too if you wanted to. Who needs that kind of
pressure?

jason

--
"Listen, my boy, I can't abide children. I know it's the style nowadays to
make a terrible fuss over you - but I don't go for it. As far as I'm concerned,
they're no good for anything but screaming, torturing people, breaking things,

smeaSima books with jam and tearing the pages." - The Neverending Story

WalmartGreeter

Aug 30, 2005, 12:03:59 PM8/30/05
>I encourage anyone
>interested to contact their local Arthritis Foundation about local
>programs of warm water exercise. Many times these are offered free or
>at very low charge to arthritis sufferers.

Good idea. I am gonna contact them to see if they offer this in my
area.

Sharon

Aug 30, 2005, 5:23:47 PM8/30/05
In article <43134e0a....@news.epix.net>, lin...@in.epix.net (C&HWood) writes:
> fr...@encompasserve.org (Sharon) wrote:
>

>> My perfect exercise is high intensity water aerobics. I'm stuck in a
>>twilight zone where I'm too fit for low intensity water aerobics and get bored
>>stiff, but too much of a klutz and my bones are too delicate for regular
>>on-land aerobics. When you say the words water aerobics, people seem to think
>>of only classes full of elderly or ultra-heavy people. Nobody but me seems to
>>know that water aerobics in deep water can be a really kick-ass exercise.
>
> Hey, I have juvenile-onset RA, too! Very similar issues currently at
> 39 - only infrequent flares caused by stress or too much activity, but
> lots of damage from my early years, and fibromyalgia, chronic
> myofascial pain, and a host of other
> suspected-to-be-autoimmune-related issues like allergies, etc.

Ouch. I'm pretty lucky in that my only physical problem is the JRA.
My hubby has fibro and occasional bursitis, though. We ache together, isn't
that romantic? *shrug*

> For those whose arthritis keeps them from exercising with walking,
> etc., water exercise can be very gentle on the joints and a real help
> in getting back to the person you want to be. I encourage anyone
> interested to contact their local Arthritis Foundation about local
> programs of warm water exercise. Many times these are offered free or
> at very low charge to arthritis sufferers.
>
> Holly

Last year I had a membership at a good health club here that has an
indoor pool and water aerobics classes. They had a deep-water class once a
week, which I loved. But it got cancelled because only one other lady and
myself were interested. I guess they found it more lucrative to keep the lanes
open to the swimmers. The shallow-water classes were okay, but occasionally
clogged by socializers, which drives me nuts.
I ended up cancelling my membership because it was expensive. I felt
like I was paying for the potential of using stair climbers, free weights, day
care and all the other amenities when all I wanted was the pool. But health
clubs are like that.
I checked the arthritis foundation website and their Northern Virginia
chapter seems to be based in Richmond. What the...? The website mentions no
classes or anything in this area. Is it better to call them?
I'm tempted to try to find a personal trainer who will do private water
aerobic classes for me in some rented pool, although I know I'll be paying
through the nose for that. Ho hum...

Etaoin Shrdlu

Aug 31, 2005, 3:13:05 AM8/31/05

stePH <acet...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> I don't trust eye doctors who don't wear glasses.
>
>They might be wearing contact lenses. Or have had corrective surgery.
>How can you tell?
>
>> I don't trust orthodontists who have never struggled with braces.
>
>Again, how can you tell?

I ask, or listen for them to tell me about their own experiences.
If they have contacts or corrective surgery, chances are that they've had
glasses at some time in their lives.

And please note that I said "trust," not "I'll only be treated by."
Because I'm with an HMO, I often have to take what I've been assigned.

Leslie

Veronique

Aug 31, 2005, 1:45:44 PM8/31/05
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> In article <1125409897.9...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> stePH <acet...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >> I don't trust eye doctors who don't wear glasses.
> >
> >They might be wearing contact lenses. Or have had corrective surgery.
> >How can you tell?
> >
> >> I don't trust orthodontists who have never struggled with braces.
> >
> >Again, how can you tell?
>
> I ask, or listen for them to tell me about their own experiences.
> If they have contacts or corrective surgery, chances are that they've had
> glasses at some time in their lives.

While I'm not sure it carries over to dentists or doctors, I definitely
feel more comfortable with an optometrist who has vision issues. I
think it's difficult to understand just how many ways quality of vision
(not just whether one can make out a letter or not) suffers with wonky
eyes. I had an eye exam recently; the tech obviously thought I was
being dramatic when I complained of deteriorating vision in one eye
because "the chart says you can read the line to 20/20." But the
opthamologist, thank goodness, understood perfectly the difference
between ease of seeing and "being able to make out" letters. And the
optometrist I see (who has glasses) understands the difficulty of
trying to correct severe astigmatism AND pathological myopia AND
age-related far-sightedness. Thank goodness.

Keith Barber

Aug 31, 2005, 1:52:02 PM8/31/05

> And the
> optometrist I see (who has glasses) understands the difficulty of
> trying to correct severe astigmatism AND pathological myopia AND
> age-related far-sightedness. Thank goodness.

Oh, what an unpleasant combination, I only have mild astigmatism, mild
myopia and am beginning to have a touch of presbyopia and that is bad
enough. I cannot imagine the unpleasantness you must put up with.

--
Keith Barber
ane...@comcast.net

Veronique

Aug 31, 2005, 2:05:06 PM8/31/05
Keith Barber wrote:

> "Veronique" <veroniq...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > And the
> > optometrist I see (who has glasses) understands the difficulty of
> > trying to correct severe astigmatism AND pathological myopia AND
> > age-related far-sightedness. Thank goodness.
> >

> Oh, what an unpleasant combination, I only have mild astigmatism, mild
> myopia and am beginning to have a touch of presbyopia and that is bad
> enough. I cannot imagine the unpleasantness you must put up with.

Well, I've had "interesting eyes" since I was a kid. I see well enough,
but "well enough" isn't anywhere near most people's "good." I get the
length of my eyeball measured yearly; at some point, I'll have it
buckled so I keep my retina (which I had reinforced with laser staples
eight months ago.)

And I try to be zen about the fact that I will probably lose vision in
my right eye at some point in the coming years. Which doesn't mean I
don't get a bit snappish when sales techs tell me how "a simple
operation called Lasik" would improve my life. (I mentioned Lasik to my
opthamologist and he burst out laughing. "Are you kidding? Why not just
put out your eye with a hot poker?")

V.

PS, how's the job thing going?

--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Keith Barber

Aug 31, 2005, 2:25:11 PM8/31/05

> PS, how's the job thing going?

I have an interview this afternoon for a job with one of the larger
regional property management firms, wish me luck.

Mr. Oblivious

Aug 31, 2005, 2:27:07 PM8/31/05
>I have an interview this afternoon for a job with one of the larger
>regional property management firms, wish me luck.

Good Luck!

Mike

Beth Cole

Aug 31, 2005, 2:29:31 PM8/31/05
Keith Barber wrote:

> "Veronique" <veroniq...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>>PS, how's the job thing going?
> I have an interview this afternoon for a job with one of the larger
> regional property management firms, wish me luck.

ASC job hunt/interview vibes activated in your direction!

Beth

--
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you
nothing. It was here first. ~Mark Twain

Message has been deleted

Kari

Aug 31, 2005, 3:56:05 PM8/31/05
Caine wrote:
> Keith Barber wrote in alt.support.childfree:

>>I have an interview this afternoon for a job with one of the larger
>>regional property management firms, wish me luck.
>

> Good luck, Keith.

Crossing my eyes, fingers, toes and anything else
that can be crossed in hopes that things work out
for you.

Kari

Virginia

Aug 31, 2005, 5:40:23 PM8/31/05

"Keith Barber" <ane...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Veronique" <veroniq...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> PS, how's the job thing going?
>>

> I have an interview this afternoon for a job with one of the larger
> regional property management firms, wish me luck.

Lots of good luck to you!

va :)

meb

Sep 2, 2005, 2:44:10 PM9/2/05
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

> In article <1125250367.3...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

> Jules W. <Jules...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>><But when I went to the eye doctor this summer to get my first set of
>>reading classes (hit 42 this year and can no longer read the exponents
>>on my calc tests) I got a five-minute diatribe on my weight and how
>>his friend just made a few "lifestyle" changes and ended up losing a
>>lot. Never mind that I have osteo-arthritis and need knee replacement
>>
>>surgery on both knees.
>>
>>In a situation like that, tell the guy what I have told people who make
>>unwarranted comments:
>>
>>"Tell me something I don't already KNOW."
>>
>>It usually shuts 'em up, even if they make an indignant comment.
>>Somewhere, subconsciously, they know it's none of their business.
>

> There's also the flip side of this:
>
> "OH MY GOD I'M FAT!!!!!! LET ME GO PLAY IN TRAFFIC!!!!! I NEVER KNEW!!!!"
>

> Personally, I'd prefer to be treated by somebody who was struggling

> with the same problem. I don't trust eye doctors who don't wear glasses.
> I don't trust orthodontists who have never struggled with braces. And

> I detest people with sticks up their butts who think they are perfect.

Well, then there's dermatologists. I've had acne for well over
30 years, although on average it has been more of a nuisance but
I do have scars. One pock-marked dermatologist prescribed
something that gave me stomach problems (teaching me to do my
own research on prescription drugs). A few other dermatologists,
smooth-skinned or not have been very dismissive.

I realize it sounds loopy, but a couple of years ago I started
going to a plastic surgeon for dealing with the occasional painful
cysts & whatnot. If a minor procedure requires only 1 or 2 stitches,
most doctors will sew a big "X" over it and call it a success.
(And I'm left with another permanently itchy scar.) I'll trust the
"beautiful people" to put in about 20 properly constructed stitches.

So the scar is almost invisible, which pleases the "beautiful
people". They toss in a refill for an acne prescription which usually
works, and I don't have an itchy scar! 8-)

More toad than princess,
-Mb