Hurl-worthy article in today's Oregroanian

2 views
Skip to first unread message

g...@not.hanks.gorge.net

unread,
Sep 2, 2001, 1:29:03 PM9/2/01
to
http://www.oregonlive.com/living/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/living/99925893520242154.xml

Watch the line wrap.

I'm so disgusted I can't even write a coherent letter to the editor right now.

gabrielle

JE Anderson

unread,
Sep 2, 2001, 1:59:44 PM9/2/01
to

<g...@not.hanks.gorge.net> wrote in message news:1103_999451743@test...
>
http://www.oregonlive.com/living/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_sta

ndard.xsl?/base/living/99925893520242154.xml
>
> Watch the line wrap.
>
> I'm so disgusted I can't even write a coherent letter to the editor right
now.
>
> gabrielle

While I can't support anyone having that many children, the article states
they are living debt-free and they seem to be raising a brood of polite and
well trained children. They are also not whining about not having this or
that. If it comes down to it, I'd rather see a PNB with 10 kids than a BNP
with 3 or 4. All in all, it was better to read that than many of the
horror stories posted here everyday....

Janet

Gutterboy

unread,
Sep 2, 2001, 2:20:16 PM9/2/01
to
Wrote Janet:

>http://www.oregonlive.com/living/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_sta
>ndard.xsl?/base/living/99925893520242154.xml
>>
>> Watch the line wrap.
>>
>> I'm so disgusted I can't even write a coherent letter to the editor right
>now.
>>
>> gabrielle
>
>While I can't support anyone having that many children, the article states
>they are living debt-free and they seem to be raising a brood of polite and
>well trained children. They are also not whining about not having this or
>that. If it comes down to it, I'd rather see a PNB with 10 kids than a BNP
>with 3 or 4. All in all, it was better to read that than many of the
>horror stories posted here everyday....
>

True. (Although I can't imagine a 36-yr-old woman with 10 sprog and 5
miscarriages. Lord God.) And, toward the end of the story, we do hear a little
something about a food bank. But, still, some of the comments:

"We believe by raising four responsible mature human beings, we will now have
four people who are trying to change the world for the better."

Don't count your sproglets before they're hatched, lady.

"The Davenports do not use contraceptives and say they will have as many
children as God gives them."

This one makes my head explode. I'm fortunate enough to live in a time when I
can have a kitchen full of food downstairs. Should I eat it all, because "God
gave" it to me?

"Show me a greater feat than raising children."

Hold on. Let me look out the window and write down the first thing I see.

Gutterboy
-----------------
"we have the potty in the living room too! Without the tv, Java's sitting
attention span is too short to go pee or poop, so there it is. We just put it
next to the couch and called it modern art." -- Poster to the cowboards

JE Anderson

unread,
Sep 2, 2001, 3:00:47 PM9/2/01
to

"Gutterboy" <gutte...@aol.compazine> wrote in message
news:20010902142016...@mb-fp.aol.com...
> Wrote Janet:
>
>
>http://www.oregonlive.com/living/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_st

a
> >ndard.xsl?/base/living/99925893520242154.xml
> >>
> >> Watch the line wrap.
> >>
> >> I'm so disgusted I can't even write a coherent letter to the editor
right
> >now.
> >>
> >> gabrielle
> >
> >While I can't support anyone having that many children, the article
states
> >they are living debt-free and they seem to be raising a brood of polite
and
> >well trained children. They are also not whining about not having this
or
> >that. If it comes down to it, I'd rather see a PNB with 10 kids than a
BNP
> >with 3 or 4. All in all, it was better to read that than many of the
> >horror stories posted here everyday....
> >
>
> True. (Although I can't imagine a 36-yr-old woman with 10 sprog and 5
> miscarriages. Lord God.) And, toward the end of the story, we do hear a
little
> something about a food bank. But, still, some of the comments:

Yeah, it's absolutely inconceivable <G> to me too....the food bank was bank
in the 90's when he lost his job. What would they do today in the same
situation???

> "The Davenports do not use contraceptives and say they will have as many
> children as God gives them."
>
> This one makes my head explode. I'm fortunate enough to live in a time
when I
> can have a kitchen full of food downstairs. Should I eat it all, because
"God
> gave" it to me?

Yup, cause you *know* he will supply more should you need it....of course
that doesn't explain food banks and food stamps and the multitudes living
beneath the poverty line - must all be atheists, eh?

> "Show me a greater feat than raising children."
>
> Hold on. Let me look out the window and write down the first thing I see.

LOL....

Janet


ChristyMae

unread,
Sep 2, 2001, 5:34:21 PM9/2/01
to
>
>http://www.oregonlive.com/living/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_
standard.xsl?/base/living/99925893520242154.xml

From the article: "Sure, David says, if they had fewer children, he would drive
a nicer car, or have a bigger TV. But, "we both like kids. Show me a greater
feat than raising children," he says. "

A greater feat than raising kids? Ahem. OK, here we go:

Earning an advanced degree.
Performing open heart surgery.
Curing cancer.
Traveling the world.
Writing a book.
Finding a true mate in life, not just a sperm-donor/incubator.
Teaching others.
Becoming an expert musician and entertaining hundreds, thousands, even millions
of people.
Saving lives instead of making new ones.
Bucking society's demands and living for one's self.

Additions?

ChristyMae

Missy

unread,
Sep 2, 2001, 7:12:03 PM9/2/01
to
Quote from Moomie: "It's all about choices."

Yep. Bad ones.

phloxy

unread,
Sep 2, 2001, 8:08:44 PM9/2/01
to

ChristyMae wrote:
> A greater feat than raising kids? Ahem. OK, here we go:
>
> Earning an advanced degree.
> Performing open heart surgery.
> Curing cancer.
> Traveling the world.
> Writing a book.
> Finding a true mate in life, not just a sperm-donor/incubator.
> Teaching others.
> Becoming an expert musician and entertaining hundreds, thousands, even millions
> of people.
> Saving lives instead of making new ones.
> Bucking society's demands and living for one's self.
>
> Additions?
>

1. saving a stray dog/cat/rabbit/other domestic animal from the roadside
or from the local shelter.
2. moving a turtle from the middle of the road.
3. protesting the circus.
4. helping an elderly neighbor with errands or house/yard work.

gosh, i think i could come up with about a hundred of these!

phloxy

Kent

unread,
Sep 2, 2001, 8:22:03 PM9/2/01
to
JE Anderson contributed:

: While I can't support anyone having that many children, the article


: states they are living debt-free and they seem to be raising a brood of
: polite and well trained children.

But it does NOT state that they are not taking public assistance, IIRC (I
read it last night). "Debt free" just means THEY don't owe anything; with
that many spawn, it is almost 100% certain that they are qualifying for,
and sucking up, gobs of public money, whether in welfare, Medicaid, or
what have you.

Kent

mag...@rahul.net

unread,
Sep 2, 2001, 8:37:41 PM9/2/01
to
On 02 Sep 2001 18:20:16 GMT, in alt.support.childfree,
gutte...@aol.compazine (Gutterboy) created


>"Show me a greater feat than raising children."
>
>Hold on. Let me look out the window and write down the first thing I see.

She said "raising" them, not giving birth to them, and implicit
in her statement was "raising them like I have". I'd have to
agree, raising a brood full of children to be polite and
respectful members of society is quite an accomplishment, one
that requires dedication and sacrifice ("dinner out is take out
from McDonalds"). Unfortunately, it is one that far to many
breeders think will magically happen by itself instead of
requiring active participation by themselves to happen. IMHO,
that's the difference between BNPs and PNBs.

jc

--

"I'd much rather be mistaken as a lesbian by a bigot
than be mistaken as a bigot by a lesbian."
--Tovah Hollander

Scott Amspoker

unread,
Sep 2, 2001, 11:37:34 PM9/2/01
to
Lorz <lo...@pacifier.com> wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes


>
>Gutterboy wrote:
>
>> "The Davenports do not use contraceptives and say they will have as many
>> children as God gives them."
>>
>> This one makes my head explode. I'm fortunate enough to live in a time when I
>> can have a kitchen full of food downstairs. Should I eat it all, because "God
>> gave" it to me?
>

>What do you want to bet they'll be sprinting to the fertility clinic on the day
>she finally has a period?

Probably to the emergency room. "DOCTOR! My wife is bleeding for some
reason! OH GOD, DON'T LET HER DIE!!!"

Scott Amspoker | Yields over 30 blasts or
s...@rt66.com | 80 gentle honks per charge!
http://www.rt66.com/sda |

Noelle

unread,
Sep 2, 2001, 11:50:22 PM9/2/01
to
"Scott Amspoker" <s...@rt66.com> wrote in message
news:dju5ptcv9ptt671m4...@4ax.com...
> Lorz <lo...@pacifier.com> wrote:

> >What do you want to bet they'll be sprinting to the fertility clinic on
the day
> >she finally has a period?
>
> Probably to the emergency room. "DOCTOR! My wife is bleeding for some
> reason! OH GOD, DON'T LET HER DIE!!!"

You know, this is one of those times I was glad I wasn't drinking anything
as I read the NG. My cat, who's lying on the desk between me and the
keyboard, would probably be glad too if she realized how precarious (and
damp) her position could have been. As it was, she just stared blandly at me
when I started laughing out loud.

--
I know but one freedom and that is the freedom of the mind.
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
http://www.fastlane.net/~gnoelle

Sol Taibi

unread,
Sep 3, 2001, 1:07:00 PM9/3/01
to
<g...@not.hanks.gorge.net> wrote in message news:<1103_999451743@test>...

Sample:
Swatting aside rude questions is just one of the many challenges facing
large families, who are sometimes stigmatized for driving gas-guzzling
vans,

Comment:
But they get better milage per person than me.

It's not so terrible for the planet, figure 10 kids is
equivalent to 20 childfree people and how much damage
do 20 of us do?

(duck and run!)

Sol Taibi

unread,
Sep 3, 2001, 1:09:47 PM9/3/01
to
chris...@aol.com (ChristyMae) wrote in message news:<20010902173421...@mb-df.aol.com>...

> >
> >http://www.oregonlive.com/living/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_
> standard.xsl?/base/living/99925893520242154.xml
>
> From the article: "Sure, David says, if they had fewer children, he would drive
> a nicer car, or have a bigger TV. But, "we both like kids. Show me a greater
> feat than raising children," he says. "
>
> A greater feat than raising kids? Ahem. OK, here we go:
>
> Earning an advanced degree.
> Performing open heart surgery.
> Curing cancer.

Hold it right there! ALL those kids are going to cure cancer.

Lorz

unread,
Sep 3, 2001, 2:01:43 PM9/3/01
to
Sol Taibi wrote:

> <g...@not.hanks.gorge.net> wrote


> > http://www.oregonlive.com/living/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/living/99925893520242154.xml
> >
> > Watch the line wrap.
> >
> > I'm so disgusted I can't even write a coherent letter to the editor right now.
> >
> > gabrielle
>
> Sample:
> Swatting aside rude questions is just one of the many challenges facing
> large families, who are sometimes stigmatized for driving gas-guzzling
> vans,
>
> Comment:
> But they get better milage per person than me.
>
> It's not so terrible for the planet, figure 10 kids is
> equivalent to 20 childfree people and how much damage
> do 20 of us do?

Think 20-30 years from now, when each of those 10 kids has produced kids of their own. Each family unit will require vehicles
and fuel to schlep everyone around in. The possibilities for exponential growth here scare me.

stePH

unread,
Sep 3, 2001, 2:53:24 PM9/3/01
to
[quote]
"We just don't do restaurants," Jerri says, laughing. "Going out to
dinner is picking up McDonald's and bringing it home."
[/quote]

Thank [whatever] for small blessings ...

stePH
-----
"What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks?"
-- Ikari Shinji

And Knowing Is Half The Battle

unread,
Sep 3, 2001, 5:14:11 PM9/3/01
to
>From: phloxy phl...@home.com

>1. saving a stray dog/cat/rabbit/other domestic animal from the roadside
>or from the local shelter.

Yay! I did both!


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages