Interesting encounter

Noelle

Sep 19, 2004, 5:14:20 PM9/19/04
Yesterday, Jon and I went to the Addison Oktoberfest (Jon calls it the
"OK-To-Beer-Fest"). Beer, German dancers, polka music, beer, strudel,
crafts, cheese, beer, carnival rides, silly hats, and beer. Did I mention
beer? We were strolling through the rows of crafts booths (speaking of
which, you know there were a million strollers there), and there was a young
woman looking at the same display I was. Her T-shirt had a Madonna-and-child
image on it, with the red "not" circle and slash over it, and the words, "If
you love children so much, why didn't you adopt one in need?" I commented
that I liked her shirt. She said thanks. I took it as a pro-choice
statement, but as I was to learn, she had a different spin on it.

Later, after it got dark, I bought Jon one of those glowing rubber necklace
thingies. It was a deep blue in color, and we were in the main tent,
watching a bunch of people in traditional German costumes dancing to "YMCA."
I guess you just had to be there, but it was pretty funny. The same young
woman comes up to me and says, "Excuse me, where did you get that necklace?"
and pointed to Jon's neck. "I've never seen an all-blue one before." Before
I could answer, she looked at me and said, "You're the one who commented on
my shirt." I affirmed that I was. She said, "Why'd you say something about
it?" I replied that I was an adoptee. She said that she was a birth mother,
and then she hugged me. Jon was standing there watching bemusedly as this
was taking place.

I regret that I forgot to ask her where she got her shirt.

--
Or is it just that the world unwraps itself to you, again, and again, as
soon as you are ready to see it anew?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

REP

Sep 21, 2004, 6:24:49 AM9/21/04
In article <3987986.v...@shotpop.com>,
Scheisster <schei...@hotpop.com> wrote:

> Aleks A.-Lessmann wrote:
>
> > Cough. If it was "Lederhosen" and some such, then they are only
> > traditional in Bavaria and surrounding places like parts of Austria,
> > Switzerland and Italy.
> >
> > Just being a pedantic FOAK ;-)
>
> I LMAO at the notion of any people I know here wearing Lederhosen. I would
> pay good money to see that.

How about Lederhoden? Not sure if I'd pay money to see that, but ...

--
"Did Father shoot him? I will eat Grandfather for dinner."
- Helen Keller, on learning of the death of her grandfather

Message has been deleted

Noelle

Sep 21, 2004, 8:16:45 PM9/21/04
"Aleks A.-Lessmann" <XaXlX...@lessmann-consulting.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:14:20 -0500, Noelle wrote:
> >watching a bunch of people in traditional German costumes dancing to
"YMCA."

> Cough. If it was "Lederhosen" and some such, then they are only
> traditional in Bavaria and surrounding places like parts of Austria,
> Switzerland and Italy.
>
> Just being a pedantic FOAK ;-)

I beg your pardon. :) They were wearing lederhosen. At least the men were.

nil...@invalid.com.au

Sep 21, 2004, 8:54:08 PM9/21/04
In Message-ID:<3987986.v...@shotpop.com> posted on
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:13:59 +0200, Scheisster wrote:

>Aleks A.-Lessmann wrote:
>
>> Cough. If it was "Lederhosen" and some such, then they are only
>> traditional in Bavaria and surrounding places like parts of Austria,
>> Switzerland and Italy.
>>
>> Just being a pedantic FOAK ;-)
>

>I LMAO at the notion of any people I know here wearing Lederhosen. I would
>pay good money to see that.
>

>;-)
A pair can last for generations, can't they? Can you see
what that could do the fashion industry in the USA where
consumers are supposed to restyle every few months? Can
almost guarantee that they would never be allowed to become
popular there.

Regards,
"nilkids"

Message has been deleted

Flounder

Sep 23, 2004, 12:55:30 AM9/23/04
Aleks A.-Lessmann wrote:

|| On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:13:59 +0200, Scheisster wrote:
||| I LMAO at the notion of any people I know here wearing Lederhosen.
||| I would pay good money to see that.
|| Well, DW would also pay good money to see me in tight, short
|| Lederhosen. I can't stand the look of them. As I can't stand
|| Oktoberfest.

Agreed. It's just an excuse for the hoi polloi to get drunk in public.