open letter to alt.support.childfree.moderated readers

Rac...@alt.support.childfree.moderated

Jul 23, 2007, 9:47:40 PM7/23/07

Alex...@alt.support.childfree.moderated

Jul 23, 2007, 6:09:38 PM7/23/07

Fra...@alt.support.childfree.moderated

Jul 23, 2007, 9:57:31 PM7/23/07

border securing technology:

* Los Alamos National Laboratory, http://www.esa.lanl.gov/ars/ars-home.html
*
* Acoustic Resonance Spectroscopy (ARS) is a technology developed at
* Los Alamos National Laboratory for the noninvasive identification
* of the fill content of sealed containers.
*
* Identification is accomplished by analyzing the effect that the fill
* material has on the resonance modes of the container. Based on the
* acoustic vibrations of an object, this Los Alamos instrument quickly
* and safely identifies the fill content of containers [for purity of
* one kind of substance I guess].
*
* [The instrument is implemented and pictured] The ARS instrument was
* selected to receive one of R&D Magazine's 1995 R&D 100 Awards; the
* awards are given annually for the one hundred most significant
* technical innovations.
*
* The technique is suitable for any noninvasive identification of fill
* materials in sealed containers.

But no, massive monitoring of people suspected of no crime is the
appropriate response.

They were just warming us up for the CALEA telephone monitoring bill.

----

Here is part of the story on why we let trucks full of cocaine and
heroin just roll right into the United States.

* "Diminished U.S. Role Below Border Plays Into Traffickers' Hands"
*
* By Molly Moore and John Ward Anderson
* Washington Post Foreign Service
* Sunday, September 8 1996; Page A01
* The Washington Post
*
* Due to their new 'Mexicanization policy':
* Mexico became the main gateway into the United States for illegal
* narcotics, with the amount of cocaine making the journey climbing to
* an estimated 210 tons last year.
*
* Mexico's drug arrests plunged nearly 65 percent, from 27,369 the year
* before the policy changes to 9,728 last year, according to data that
* the Mexican government supplied to the State Department.
*
* Cocaine seizures in Mexico wer

Ge...@alt.support.childfree.moderated

Jul 23, 2007, 7:54:43 PM7/23/07

Ka...@alt.support.childfree.moderated

Jul 23, 2007, 9:19:55 PM7/23/07

an operator with special eyewear, using a laser spotlight having a
* wavelength invisible to the unaided eye, may be able to," he said.
*
* ----------------------------------------------------------------------
* Air Force News Agency : DSN: 945-1281
* AFNEWS/IICT : (210) 925-1281
* 203 Norton Street : sy...@afnews.pa.af.mil
* Kelly AFB, TX 78241-6105 : ftp.pa.af.mil
* ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Read car's license plates at night?

Phillips's Lasers and Imaging Directorate?

What is this?

* http://www.rockwell.com/te/itsinca.html
*
* TraffiCam Vehicle Detection Sensor
*
* Rockwell is working with a variety of state and local authorities,
* including several in California, for the introduction of a new, advanced
* technology sensor called TraffiCam. The sensor uses machine vision
* technology to detect vehicles. The capabilities of the sensor make it
* useful for a variety of applications, including freeway surveillance

Ugh oh, 'machine vision', I don't like the sound of that...

* http://hippo.mit.edu/projects/projects.html#sensor
*
* NEW TRAFFIC SENSOR TECHNOLOGY
*
* MIT was responsible for the concept, overall design, and testing of the
* sensor. Travel time is measured by video license plate recognition or
* radio transponders.

Video recognition of the license plate if no transponder!!!

DAMN. I hope the government doesn't have any
massive deployment of this technology in mind.

* SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION FEDERICO PENA
* TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH BOARD
* WASHINGTON, D.C.
* January 10, 1996
*