Bladder control problems

Wendy

Apr 4, 2003, 2:18:16 PM4/4/03
My seven year old daughter, who lives with cerebral palsy, is having
problems holding her urine until it is time to go to the bathroom. She
was/is toilet trained for several years and has had occasional accidents
from time to time. I've tried more frequent trips to the bathroom but that
does not seem to make a difference. It is almost like she forgets to tell
an adult she needs to go. I am looking for any advice or suggestions about
incontinence in people living with cp. Her doctor recently prescribed
oxybutynin - has anyone found this to be an effective medication?

Thanks to all

Wendy

Levi

Apr 8, 2003, 11:49:11 AM4/8/03
Wendy--

I had the same problem as you daughter does right now. No matter how
much I tried to go I would end up having an occasional accident. I
also did tell anyone I needed to go that always made things worse
because then I would get yelled at by my parents for not telling
someone.

I never tried any onf the drugs out there so the only advice I can
give to you is what has worked for me. You just have to give her
time, she will soon relize that it is not good to have these
accidents. If you have any question please feel free to IM me or send
me a e-mail.

sammyjoe

Apr 8, 2003, 6:15:31 PM4/8/03
Hi Wendy i was on that for a long time and it did seem to work ok because it
stops or reduces bladder spasm, my problems started where i didn't seem to
know i needed the toilet until it was too late.... the doc recently gave me
oxybutynin to help with the spasms i seem to get cause of the catheter
Could it be that when your daughter tries to move to get onto or near the
toilet that causes the problem? i found even when i had a schedual, most of
the time i would be wetting myself while getting out of the chair
This is tricky becuse the more you drink the more you need the toilet, but i
was told one of the reasons i was having so much trouble was because i
didn't drink enough and with my urine being so concentrated it was causing
irritation.
Anyway sorry i'm going on this medication does work, but one it i had
trouble going first thing in the morning, maybe it's just me

sammyjoe

Apr 8, 2003, 8:05:55 PM4/8/03
sorry wendy i tried mailing you but for some reason both of my addresses
can't get to you

Amethyst Menace

May 7, 2003, 8:36:31 PM5/7/03

> My seven year old daughter, who lives with cerebral palsy, is having
> problems holding her urine until it is time to go to the bathroom.

<snip>

. It is almost like she forgets to tell
> an adult she needs to go.

Hi, Wendy,

Forgetting is probably not the problem. Unfortunately, smooth muscles can
also be spastic, as can the bladder sphincter itself. Sometimes, too. the
bladder muscles aren't strong and controlled enough to properly empty the
bladder, so irritation and infection are more likely, and that can also
cause incontinence.

I still have occasional problems which are most likely to peak just before
my period, or when very tired or edgy. Frequent urination actually lets me
know I'm getting a cold or flu before the symptoms that are more usual for
everybody else!

It is possible that she's putting off going when she's doing enjoyable
things, as any kid might, but because her body's responses are not "normal",
misjudging how much time she has left is much more problematic.

Stress, IME, makes it worse, so try not to get too upset about the accidents
that happen.

I would agree with the folks who recommend drinking moderate amounts of
fluids. I do best when I drink at least a quart of water a day, but I'm a
5'2" woman in my 40s, so DO scale down from that for your daughter.

I know you posted a month ago, but *I* just got here, and this topic has
ALWAYS been a hot button for me. My parents thought for years that I just
didn't care or didn't pay enough attention.

AmMen

Mark Probert

May 8, 2003, 9:23:27 AM5/8/03

Hi AM!

;)

Amethyst Menace

May 8, 2003, 9:01:35 PM5/8/03

"Mark Probert" <markp...@lumbarcartel.com> wrote in message

> Hi AM!
>
> ;)

Hi Mark!

I've taken up a new hobby -- walking!

I got fitted with AFOs (aka knee-high braces) in late January and have been
working twice a week with a PT.

I can now walk about 100 feet with a walker.

I don't ever plan to use it as a means of primary locomotion, but it will be
nice to be able to use the bathroom at my sister-in-law's without clinging
to the wall like a terrified barnacle!

AmMen

Mark Probert

May 8, 2003, 10:52:38 PM5/8/03
Amethyst Menace wrote:
> "Mark Probert" <markp...@lumbarcartel.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi AM!
>>
>>;)
>>

> Hi Mark!
>
> I've taken up a new hobby -- walking!

In a sense, so have I. I now walk to and from work daily. I usually walk
home during late lunch to get YS off the bus and into the house. SWe
have snack together.

> I got fitted with AFOs (aka knee-high braces) in late January and have been
> working twice a week with a PT.

YS got a new pair a few months ago. Needed a few adjustments.
Fortuantely, our orthotist is a friend and easy to get him to pick them up.

> I can now walk about 100 feet with a walker.

Wonderful.

> I don't ever plan to use it as a means of primary locomotion, but it will be
> nice to be able to use the bathroom at my sister-in-law's without clinging
> to the wall like a terrified barnacle!

The joy of doing something that others take for granted.

Wendy

May 9, 2003, 12:55:48 AM5/9/03
Hi Am,

Thank you so much for responding to my post! I really do appreciate your
feedback, and you did hit alot of things right on the button in regards to
my daughter's challenge. It's not always an issue, and seems to go almost
in cycles, and yes, I do notice alot when she is tired or run down as well.

My daughter does tend to worry when she does have an accident, or for
telling me about it as well. I do my best to keep it casual and act like it
is no big deal, but at times I must have sent the message of 'another
accident? oh dear' or some such.

At the moment she is more relaxed and is having less accidents, it is almost
like a cycle! Very interesting indeed, and thank you so much again for your
input!

Take care,

Wendy