Arsenic For Leukemia

ironjustice

Apr 9, 2010, 10:00:49 AM4/9/10
China scientists show how arsenic treats blood cancer
Tan Ee Lyn
SINGAPORE
Fri Apr 9, 2010 1:37am
EDT SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Scientists in China have demonstrated how
arsenic -- a favorite murder weapon in the Middle Ages -- destroys
deadly blood cancer by targeting and killing specific proteins that
keep the cancer alive.

"Our study showed how arsenic directly targets these proteins and
kills them," lead researcher Zhang Xiaowei at the State Key Laboratory
of Medical Genomics in Shanghai, China, told Reuters.

"Unlike chemotherapy, the side effects of arsenic (in treating acute
promyelocytic leukemia) are very low. There is no hair loss or
suppression of bone marrow (function). We are interested in finding
out how arsenic can be used in other cancers," Zhang said by
telephone.

Well known for its toxicity, arsenic was regarded in the past as the
king among poisons because its symptoms are like those of cholera and
can often go undetected.

In China, however, it has long served a dual purpose. Apart from
intentional poisoning, it has been used for at least 2,000 years in
traditional Chinese medicine.

In 1992, a group of Chinese doctors reported how they used arsenic to
treat acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL), a blood and bone marrow
cancer that has surprisingly high cure rates of over 90 percent in
China.

However, the actual workings of arsenic and how it interacts with
cancer tissues has never been clear -- until Zhang and his colleagues
used modern technology to find out.

In a paper published in the journal Science, Zhang and his team, which
includes Health Minister Chen Zhu, described how they used modern
equipment and saw how arsenic attacked specific proteins that would
otherwise be keeping the cancer alive and well.

"This shows how Western technology can be used to find out about the
mysteries of Chinese medicine," Zhang said.

"Although many countries are now using arsenic to treat APL, some
countries are resistant to the idea. It depends a lot on whether
doctors recommend it and whether patients accept it."

In APL, there is a drop in the production of normal red blood cells
and platelets, resulting in anemia and thrombocytopenia. The bone
marrow is unable to produce healthy red blood cells. Until the 1970s,
APL was 100 percent fatal and there was no effective treatment.

"The clinical result of arsenic in treating APL is well-established.
More than 90 percent of APL patients in China have (at least) five
years of disease-free survival," Zhang said.

In a separate commentary in Science, Scott Kogan at the University of
California San Francisco Cancer Center wrote that proper case
selection and combination therapy with arsenic may lead to improved
outcomes for treating not only promyelocytic leukemia, but other
diseases as well.

"If so, an ancient medicine, revived through careful clinical and
biological studies in modern times, will have an even greater impact
on human health," wrote Kogan, who was not linked to the Chinese
study.

(Editing by Chris Lewis and Sugita Katyal)
-­­­-----

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://tinyurl.com/a3cc3

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
http://tinyurl.com/zk9fk

Ken

Apr 9, 2010, 10:38:39 AM4/9/10
Spamming Canuck Dicksucker

ironjustice

Apr 19, 2010, 11:33:06 AM4/19/10
On Apr 9, 7:00 am, ironjustice <ironjust...@rock.com> wrote:
China scientists show how arsenic treats blood cancer <<

"Arsenic adsorption to iron"
"Iron-adsorbing agent Chitosan"

Factors Influencing Arsenite Removal by Zero-Valent Iron
J. Envir. Engrg. Volume 132, Issue 11, pp. 1459-1469
November 2006
Xueyuan Yu,1 Christopher Amrhein,2 Yiqiang Zhang,3 and Mark R.
Matsumoto4
1San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board, 9174 Sky Park Court,
Ste. 100,
San Diego, CA 92123-4340. E-mail: he...@waterboards.ca.gov
2Professor, Dept. of Environmental Sciences, Univ. of California,
Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521. E-mail: christoph...@ucr.edu
3Postgraduate Researcher, Dept. of Environmental Sciences, Univ. of
California,
Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521. E-mail: yiqian...@ucr.edu
4Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Education, Bourns College of
Engineering,
Univ. of California, Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521 (corresponding
author).
E-mail: mark.ma...@ucr.edu

The effects of pH, alkalinity, and mass transfer efficiency on the
removal
of arsenite [As(III)] by zero-valent iron (ZVI) were evaluated in this
study.
The optimum pH range for removal of As(III) was found to be between
7 and 8.
As(III) removal varied with salinity, pH, alkalinity conditions, and
As(III)
concentration.
Degradation of As(III) removal performance was observed only under
conditions of high alkalinity and arsenic concentrations [alkalinity
>10 g
CaCO3/L and 2.9 mg/L As(III)].
A strong correlation between As(III) removal and increasing Reynolds
number in batch testing suggests that mass transfer efficiency plays
an
important role in the removal of As(III) by ZVI.
A diffusion-limited adsorption model was used to describe the removal
of
As(III) as the result of adsorption to precipitated iron oxides
generated from
ZVI corrosion.
After an initial period of As(III) rapid adsorption to surface rusts
formed
during manufacturing and exposure to air, As(III) removal rate is most
likely
controlled by the rate of iron corrosion and the diffusion of As(III)
adsorption sites in ZVI/iron oxides.

©2006 ASCE
History: Submitted 19 January 2005; accepted 17 March 2006

-­­­-----

First evidence that chitosan could repair spinal damage

April 16, 2010 Spinal injuries are some of the most debilitating that
anyone can suffer. However, Richard Borgens and his team from the
Center for Paralysis Research at the Purdue School of Veterinary
Medicine can now offer spinal cord damage sufferers some hope. They
publish their discovery in the Journal of Experimental Biology that
chitosan, a sugar, can target and repair damaged spinal cord nerve
membranes and restore nerve function.

Richard Borgens and his colleagues from the Center for Paralysis
Research at the Purdue School of Veterinary Medicine have a strong
record of inventing therapies for treating nerve damage. From Ampyra,
which improves walking in multiple sclerosis patients to a spinal
cord
simulator for spinal injury victims, Borgens has had a hand in
developing therapies that directly impact patients and their quality
of life.

Another therapy that is currently undergoing testing is the use of
polyethylene glycol (PEG) to seal and repair damaged spinal cord
nerve
cells. By repairing the damaged membranes of nerve cells, Borgens and
his team can restore the spinal cord's ability to transmit signals to
the brain. However, there is one possible clinical drawback: PEG's
breakdown products are potentially toxic. Is there a biodegradable
non-
toxic compound that is equally effective at targeting and repairing
damaged nerve membranes?

Borgens teamed up with physiologist Riyi Shi and chemist Youngnam
Cho,
who pointed out that some sugars are capable of targeting damaged
membranes. Could they find a sugar that restored spinal cord activity
as effectively as PEG? Borgens and his team publish their discovery
that chitosan can repair damaged nerve cell membranes in The Journal
of Experimental Biology on 16 April 2010.

Having initially tested mannose and found that it did not repair
spinal cord nerve membranes, Cho decided to test a modified form of
chitin, one of the most common sugars that is found in crustacean
shells. Converting chitin into chitosan, Cho isolated a segment of
guinea pig spinal cord, compressed a section, applied the modified
chitin and then added a fluorescent dye that could only enter the
cells through damaged membranes. If the chitosan repaired the crushed
membranes then the spinal cord tissue would be unstained, but if the
chitosan had failed, the spinal cord neurons would be flooded with
the
fluorescent dye. Viewing a section of the spinal cord under the
microscope, Cho was amazed to see that the spinal cord was completely
dark. None of the dye had entered the nerve cells. Chitosan had
repaired the damaged cell membranes.

Next Cho tested whether a dose of chitosan could prevent large
molecules from leaking from damaged spinal cord cells. Testing for
the
presence of the colossal enzyme lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), Borgens
admits he was amazed to see that levels of LDH leakage from chitosan
treated spinal cord were lower than from undamaged spinal cords. Not
only had the sugar repaired membranes at the compression site but
also
at other sites where the cell membranes were broken due to handling.
And when the duo tested for the presence of harmful reactive oxygen
species (ROS), released when ATP generating mitochondria are damaged,
they found that ROS levels also fell after applying chitosan to the
damaged tissue: chitosan probably repairs mitochondrial membranes as
well as the nerve cell membranes.

But could chitosan restore the spinal cord's ability to transmit
electrical signals to the brain through a damaged region? Measuring
the brain's response to nerve signals generated in a guinea pig's
hind
leg, the duo saw that the signals were unable to reach the brain
through a damaged spinal cord. However, 30·min after injecting
chitosan into the rodents, the signals miraculously returned to the
animals' brains. Chitosan was able to repair the damaged spinal cord
so that it could carry signals from the animal's body to its brain.

Borgens is extremely excited by this discovery that chitosan is able
to locate and repair damaged spinal cord tissue and is even more
enthusiastic by the prospect that nanoparticles of chitosan could
also
target delivery of neuroprotective drugs directly to the site of
injury 'giving us a dual bang for our buck,' says Borgens.

More information: Cho, Y., Shi, R. and Borgens, R. B. (2010).
Chitosan
produces potent neuroprotection and physiological recovery following
traumatic spinal cord injury. J. Exp. Biol. 213, 1513-1520.
http://jeb.biologists.org

Provided by The Company of Biologists
----------

"May be a suitable iron-adsorbing agent in biological systems."

Evaluation of Chitosan As a Potential Medical Iron (III) Ion
Adsorbent
Turk J Med Sci
30 (2000) 341-348© TÜBŒTAK341
Abstract:
Chitosan, a derivative of the natural polysaccharide chitin, is known
for its biocompatibility and metal-binding capacity.
The aim of this study was to combine these two properties of chitosan
and investigate its potential as a new iron (III) ion (ferric ion)
adsorbing agent.
The development of a safe and orally active iron chelating agent is
especially important for the treatment of thalassemics.
In this study, the physicochemical parameters affecting the ability
of
chitosan flakes to adsorb iron (III)ions were studied by
complexometrictitration.
The results showed that the iron(III) adsorption capacity of chitosan
increases with the amount of chitosan, degree of deacetylation of
chitosan, concentration of ferric ions in solution and with the pH of
the medium.
The amount of ferric ions that adsorb on the polymer increases with
time until an equilibrium is reached between adsorbed iron (III) ions
and those in solution.
Preliminary in vitro results obtained in human blood serum indicate
that chitosan is capable of adsorbing iron (III) ions in the body
fluid medium and may be a suitable iron-adsorbing agent in biological
systems.
Key Words: chitin, chitosan, iron-chelation

-­­­-----

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://tinyurl.com/a3cc3

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
http://tinyurl.com/zk9fk

> Tan Ee Lyn
> SINGAPORE
> Fri Apr 9, 2010 1:37am

> EDT SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Scientists in China have demonstrated howarsenic-- a favorite murder weapon in the Middle Ages -- destroys

> deadly blood cancer by targeting and killing specific proteins that
> keep the cancer alive.
>

> "Our study showed howarsenicdirectly targets these proteins and

> kills them," lead researcher Zhang Xiaowei at the State Key Laboratory
> of Medical Genomics in Shanghai, China, told Reuters.
>

> "Unlike chemotherapy, the side effects ofarsenic(in treating acute

> promyelocytic leukemia) are very low. There is no hair loss or
> suppression of bone marrow (function). We are interested in finding

> out howarseniccan be used in other cancers," Zhang said by
> telephone.
>
> Well known for its toxicity,arsenicwas regarded in the past as the

> king among poisons because its symptoms are like those of cholera and
> can often go undetected.
>
> In China, however, it has long served a dual purpose. Apart from
> intentional poisoning, it has been used for at least 2,000 years in
> traditional Chinese medicine.
>
> In 1992, a group of Chinese doctors reported how they usedarsenicto
> treat acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL), a blood and bone marrow
> cancer that has surprisingly high cure rates of over 90 percent in
> China.
>

> However, the actual workings ofarsenicand how it interacts with

> cancer tissues has never been clear -- until Zhang and his colleagues
> used modern technology to find out.
>
> In a paper published in the journal Science, Zhang and his team, which
> includes Health Minister Chen Zhu, described how they used modern

> equipment and saw howarsenicattacked specific proteins that would

> otherwise be keeping the cancer alive and well.
>
> "This shows how Western technology can be used to find out about the
> mysteries of Chinese medicine," Zhang said.
>

> "Although many countries are now usingarsenicto treat APL, some

> countries are resistant to the idea. It depends a lot on whether
> doctors recommend it and whether patients accept it."
>
> In APL, there is a drop in the production of normal red blood cells
> and platelets, resulting in anemia and thrombocytopenia. The bone
> marrow is unable to produce healthy red blood cells. Until the 1970s,
> APL was 100 percent fatal and there was no effective treatment.
>

> "The clinical result ofarsenicin treating APL is well-established.

> More than 90 percent of APL patients in China have (at least) five
> years of disease-free survival," Zhang said.
>
> In a separate commentary in Science, Scott Kogan at the University of
> California San Francisco Cancer Center wrote that proper case

> selection and combination therapy witharsenicmay lead to improved

Ken

Apr 19, 2010, 12:26:32 PM4/19/10
Spamming Canuck Cocksucker

sm84...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2020, 3:41:08 AM7/20/20
Buy cbd oil

Buy cbd oil Hemp Seed Oil+ (THC – CBD) ~ In addition to vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids, hemp seed oil+ also contains a constant level of added THC and CBD for medicinal effect.

Buy cbd oil Hemp seed oil is extracted from the seeds of the hemp plant. Hemp seeds contain less than 0.3 % THC so they are not considered to be drugs and are perfectly legal. Hemp seed oil is very good for our bodies and helps us maintain immune system balance.
CBD Oil’s Benefits for Skin: Can it Help With Acne, Anti-Aging, & Other Skin Issues?
CBD oil is being marketed in products for everything from acne to wrinkles. But is any of that possible, or is it just marketing hype? These are the CBD facts you need to know.

CBD (also known as cannabidiol) is the non-psychotropic component of marijuana or hemp. CBD oil is a mixture of the CBD isolate (pure CBD) + an oil like olive, hemp, or coconut. CBD oil won’t get you high because it doesn’t have the mind-altering properties of marijuana’s tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) content (they are sourced in different ways).

It is also important to know that CBD oil is not the same thing as hemp seed oil. The two are often marketed interchangeably, but CBD oil is richly concentrated in cannabidiol, whereas hemp seed oil only contains trace amounts of cannabidiol, if any

What’s clear from numerous studies is that CBD oil functions as an anti-inflammatory. So how does that translate to skin care? One way is its ability to help calm skin, particularly skin that’s acne-prone. Because acne is an inflammatory condition, research indicates CBD’s soothing properties can help diminish breakouts and reduce redness. Surprisingly, recent findings also show that CBD has the potential to decrease excessive sebum (oil) production, as well as help offset other triggers of acne.

Without question, far more conclusive, scientific studies are needed, but CBD’s potential as an alternative acne solution is exciting. In the meantime, you can read up on other acne treatments with definitive research supporting them.

It turns out CBD oil also has antioxidant properties which contribute to the research indicating it can help lessen the visible signs of aging skin. By counteracting free-radical damage, CBD anti-aging creams may be able to help visibly diminish issues like wrinkles, skin dullness, and ruddy skin tone. Buy cbd oil

Of course, there are plenty of other antioxidants out there that can make the same claims so CBD isn’t the only or “best” antioxidant to seek out; rather, it’s just one of many to consider (learn more about our favorite antioxidant-rich serums).
https://www.cannabisworldlifeconnect.com/product/buy-cbd-oil/